The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to find ideas

Idea threads

Nickolas Poce

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Sep 26, 2018
Vancouver
I'm willing to bet that almost everyone has several ideas floating in their heads. I'm also willing to bet 99.9 % won't run with those ideas.

Today I had to drive a front-end truck at work and I had a swamper with me to pull the bins out. He was 52 yrs old and has been working at labour unlimited for at least 2 years that I know of. I'm positive he will never follow through with his ideas.

So, I opened the topic by passing a couple of my ideas by him then proceeded to ask if he had any ideas of his own and honestly I'm not surprised that he did, in fact, they were great ideas IMO.

Not sure if it's ethical but why not if there's slim to no chance that he will ever take action on the ideas. What if it's a great idea that could change the world? Why let it die with him?

I even ended up getting him to think of a great idea as we were talking. Always look for opportunities.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Davejemmolly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Oct 1, 2018
Australia
I'm confused... are you asking if its alright to 'steal' his ideas?

Idea's are free... execution is king!
That said, its kind of poor form.. unless he's a complete moron, why don't you kick the idea around a bit more and do something in tandem?

Nickolas Poce

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Sep 26, 2018
Vancouver
I'm confused... are you asking if its alright to 'steal' his ideas?

Idea's are free... execution is king!
That said, its kind of poor form.. unless he's a complete moron, why don't you kick the idea around a bit more and do something in tandem?

"Execution is king!" I love that!

Asking a compete moron what his ideas are would be a waste of time. I highly doubt someone that has worked at a $12 an hour temp job for years would ever do anything with his ideas so it's probably not unethical. As for working with him, partnering with a person with little ambition would be a big mistake.

I just wanted to contribute and share a way I thought of to get ideas you may never have thought about.

Davejemmolly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Oct 1, 2018
Australia
Sadly, the lack of ideas isn't my problem..
I've got more ideas than I can poke a stick at!

My problem is keeping focused on the one big idea, and ignoring all the shiny new ideas that look much easier! I suspect I'm not alone on that front!

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
"Execution is king!" I love that!

Asking a compete moron what his ideas are would be a waste of time. I highly doubt someone that has worked at a $12 an hour temp job for years would ever do anything with his ideas so it's probably not unethical. As for working with him, partnering with a person with little ambition would be a big mistake.

I just wanted to contribute and share a way I thought of to get ideas you may never have thought about.

Do you know for a fact he has little ambition? Maybe he has had all these dreams but not a clue how to make one come true.......?? Maybe he tried once when he was 22 and failed so he has never tried again. See, these are the people I put just a little money in to..... 98% of the time it fails but I love the 2% that works out! Put $1000 in to a broke person's dream and they come to life.... atleast for a short time. Now when I do this I know it's going to take more than $1000 and depending how they spend that $1000 depends if I continue to fund them or not. I keep them under close watch and if they are trying to do the right thing..... I always have a wallet full of cash. But if they take that $1000, blow $300 on the electric bill, $100 diapers, $500 for rent and then tell me they had things that needed paid..... my wallet has ran dry. Business is business. Get to work and make me lots of profit and I'll buy the baby gold laced diapers.

George Appiah

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Aug 16, 2018
Accra, Ghana

Nickolas Poce

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Sep 26, 2018
Vancouver
Sadly, the lack of ideas isn't my problem..
I've got more ideas than I can poke a stick at!

My problem is keeping focused on the one big idea, and ignoring all the shiny new ideas that look much easier! I suspect I'm not alone on that front!

Agreed, chasing easy shiny ideas is not the way to go. That's great that you have a ton of ideas! But I hope your not closing your mind to new ideas just because you have a lot and one great idea that your going after.

Nickolas Poce

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Sep 26, 2018
Vancouver
Do you know for a fact he has little ambition? Maybe he has had all these dreams but not a clue how to make one come true.......?? Maybe he tried once when he was 22 and failed so he has never tried again. See, these are the people I put just a little money in to..... 98% of the time it fails but I love the 2% that works out! Put $1000 in to a broke person's dream and they come to life.... atleast for a short time. Now when I do this I know it's going to take more than $1000 and depending how they spend that $1000 depends if I continue to fund them or not. I keep them under close watch and if they are trying to do the right thing..... I always have a wallet full of cash. But if they take that $1000, blow $300 on the electric bill, $100 diapers, $500 for rent and then tell me they had things that needed paid..... my wallet has ran dry. Business is business. Get to work and make me lots of profit and I'll buy the baby gold laced diapers.

That's a great perspective. No, I dont know 100% that he has little ambition. His decision to live the way he is suggests it. There is plenty of opportunity to earn more than he does but he chooses not to.

George Appiah

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Aug 16, 2018
Accra, Ghana
What confusing to you?

The two quoted statements, if they're referring to the same person, seem contradictory.

In one, you managed to get him to "think of a great idea."

In the other, he's a "moron" and it's a waste of time asking him for ideas.

(NB: English is my 3rd language, so somethings I miss little nuances of the language)

Nickolas Poce

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Sep 26, 2018
Vancouver
The two quoted statements, if they're referring to the same person, seem contradictory.

In one, you managed to get him to "think of a great idea."

In the other, he's a "moron" and it's a waste of time asking him for ideas.

(NB: English is my 3rd language, so somethings I miss little nuances of the language)

Thank you for the clarification. I did not call anyone a moron. I just stated that asking a moron would be a waste of time. So if I thought he was a moron I wouldn't have ask what his ideas were in the first place.

I just think he won't ever act on his ideas that happen to be great.

Hope that clears up your confusion :)

George Appiah

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Aug 16, 2018
Accra, Ghana
Thank you for the clarification. I did not call anyone a moron. I just stated that asking a moron would be a waste of time. So if I thought he was a moron I wouldn't have ask what his ideas were in the first place.

I just think he won't ever act on his ideas that happen to be great.

Hope that clears up your confusion :)

Thanks for the clarification.
I knew I'd lost something in translation... I just couldn't figure out what :hilarious:

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
I think people are scared to share ideas because they fear that someone will actually take action and make it come true. I share all my ideas to everyone because majority will do nothing about it anyways and if they do, it's my fault because I failed to execute first.

Nickolas Poce

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Sep 26, 2018
Vancouver
I think people are scared to share ideas because they fear that someone will actually take action and make it come true. I share all my ideas to everyone because majority will do nothing about it anyways and if they do, it's my fault because I failed to execute first.

I think your absolutely right! I like to share my ideas to get feed back. I've never executed on any of them. I'm just starting get to that stage now. I have a huge idea that could change something in the transportation industry. The government would be my customer. I'm unsure what my first step should be. I'm reading unscripted once again and taking notes and reading though this forum to figure out how to move forward. I hope that I can figure out my first step and then keep stepping and make this idea a reality.

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
I think your absolutely right! I like to share my ideas to get feed back. I've never executed on any of them. I'm just starting get to that stage now. I have a huge idea that could change something in the transportation industry. The government would be my customer. I'm unsure what my first step should be. I'm reading unscripted once again and taking notes and reading though this forum to figure out how to move forward. I hope that I can figure out my first step and then keep stepping and make this idea a reality.

Nice. Research would be my first step.

Nickolas Poce

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Sep 26, 2018
Vancouver
Nice. Research would be my first step.

Hahah that's so simple! Thank you. I've kinda already started but it's not just a product to the masses, I need to approach municipalities. I'll start calling around and asking questions. I know it's not going to be easy at all, but I also know if I'm successful I'll save lives.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
So what do you want from us? Do you want our permission to steal his idea because you "think" he won't ever execute on it? Fine, you've got our permission .... now go execute.

I still think its sly of ya to steal the man's idea and not compensate or inform him - but if you can live with yourself then more power to ya.

Why don't you tell him you want to buy his idea outright for $100 and possibly hire him in the future for more advice on how to improve on the idea (that is if he isn't planning on executing on the idea) and see what he says. That's what I would do.... but do whatever you want bruh. BTW... how long have you worked for under $12/hour .... and yet here you are today trying to start your own business. You're just full of contradictions bruh.

Nickolas Poce

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Sep 26, 2018
Vancouver
So what do you want from us? Do you want our permission to steal his idea because you "think" he won't ever execute on it? Fine, you've got our permission .... now go execute.

I still think its sly of ya to steal the man's idea and not compensate or inform him - but if you can live with yourself then more power to ya.

Why don't you tell him you want to buy his idea outright for $100 and possibly hire him in the future for more advice on how to improve on the idea (that is if he isn't planning on executing on the idea) and see what he says. That's what I would do.... but do whatever you want bruh. BTW... how long have you worked for under $12/hour .... and yet here you are today trying to start your own business. You're just full of contradictions bruh.

You're absolutely right, it is sly, and I'm ashamed I even thought of it. I figured maybe some people have a hard time coming up with ideas and just wanted to through this out there to help. I should have thought it through a bit more.

I don't feel I have anything to offer being new to this and I just wanted to offer something to the community before asking for advice.

Who am I to judge anyone when I've never executed any of my own ideas. Maybe he could get his ideas up and running, and I hope he does, and changes his life around.

I'm glad to see it in a different light now. Why not buy the idea and possibly involve him? That's exactly how I should have started this thread in the first place.

I'm not a great person, but I am always trying to improve myself in all areas, and I've definately learnt something here, thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Good on ya.

eOW3sfZ.gif

tenor.gif

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.