• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

How to find ideas

Discussion in 'Ideas, Needs, Concept Feedback' started by Nickolas Poce, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Nickolas Poce

Nickolas Poce New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $178
    I'm willing to bet that almost everyone has several ideas floating in their heads. I'm also willing to bet 99.9 % won't run with those ideas.

Today I had to drive a front-end truck at work and I had a swamper with me to pull the bins out. He was 52 yrs old and has been working at labour unlimited for at least 2 years that I know of. I'm positive he will never follow through with his ideas.

So, I opened the topic by passing a couple of my ideas by him then proceeded to ask if he had any ideas of his own and honestly I'm not surprised that he did, in fact, they were great ideas IMO.

Not sure if it's ethical but why not if there's slim to no chance that he will ever take action on the ideas. What if it's a great idea that could change the world? Why let it die with him?

I even ended up getting him to think of a great idea as we were talking. Always look for opportunities.

2. Davejemmolly

Davejemmolly Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $267
    I'm confused... are you asking if its alright to 'steal' his ideas?

Idea's are free... execution is king!
    That said, its kind of poor form.. unless he's a complete moron, why don't you kick the idea around a bit more and do something in tandem?

Nickolas Poce likes this.
  3. Nickolas Poce

Rep Bank:
    $178
    "Execution is king!" I love that!

Asking a compete moron what his ideas are would be a waste of time. I highly doubt someone that has worked at a $12 an hour temp job for years would ever do anything with his ideas so it's probably not unethical. As for working with him, partnering with a person with little ambition would be a big mistake.

I just wanted to contribute and share a way I thought of to get ideas you may never have thought about.

4. Davejemmolly

Davejemmolly Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $267
    Sadly, the lack of ideas isn't my problem..
    I've got more ideas than I can poke a stick at!

My problem is keeping focused on the one big idea, and ignoring all the shiny new ideas that look much easier! I suspect I'm not alone on that front!

5. minivanman

minivanman Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,467
    Do you know for a fact he has little ambition? Maybe he has had all these dreams but not a clue how to make one come true.......?? Maybe he tried once when he was 22 and failed so he has never tried again. See, these are the people I put just a little money in to..... 98% of the time it fails but I love the 2% that works out! Put $1000 in to a broke person's dream and they come to life.... atleast for a short time. Now when I do this I know it's going to take more than $1000 and depending how they spend that $1000 depends if I continue to fund them or not. I keep them under close watch and if they are trying to do the right thing..... I always have a wallet full of cash. But if they take that $1000, blow $300 on the electric bill, $100 diapers, $500 for rent and then tell me they had things that needed paid..... my wallet has ran dry. Business is business. Get to work and make me lots of profit and I'll buy the baby gold laced diapers.

SMH, Nickolas Poce and jon.M like this.
  6. George Appiah

George Appiah Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,089
    Uncle George is confused :blank:

100k likes this.
  7. Nickolas Poce

Rep Bank:
    $178
    Agreed, chasing easy shiny ideas is not the way to go. That's great that you have a ton of ideas! But I hope your not closing your mind to new ideas just because you have a lot and one great idea that your going after.

8. Nickolas Poce

Rep Bank:
    $178
    That's a great perspective. No, I dont know 100% that he has little ambition. His decision to live the way he is suggests it. There is plenty of opportunity to earn more than he does but he chooses not to.

9. Nickolas Poce

Rep Bank:
    $178
    What confusing to you?

10. George Appiah

George Appiah Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,089
    The two quoted statements, if they're referring to the same person, seem contradictory.

In one, you managed to get him to "think of a great idea."

In the other, he's a "moron" and it's a waste of time asking him for ideas.

(NB: English is my 3rd language, so somethings I miss little nuances of the language)

100k and Nickolas Poce like this.
  11. Nickolas Poce

Rep Bank:
    $178
    Thank you for the clarification. I did not call anyone a moron. I just stated that asking a moron would be a waste of time. So if I thought he was a moron I wouldn't have ask what his ideas were in the first place.

I just think he won't ever act on his ideas that happen to be great.

Hope that clears up your confusion :)

George Appiah likes this.
  12. George Appiah

Rep Bank:
    $1,089
    Thanks for the clarification.
    I knew I'd lost something in translation... I just couldn't figure out what :hilarious:

13. Neng Her

Neng Her Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $155
    I think people are scared to share ideas because they fear that someone will actually take action and make it come true. I share all my ideas to everyone because majority will do nothing about it anyways and if they do, it's my fault because I failed to execute first.

14. Nickolas Poce

Rep Bank:
    $178
    I think your absolutely right! I like to share my ideas to get feed back. I've never executed on any of them. I'm just starting get to that stage now. I have a huge idea that could change something in the transportation industry. The government would be my customer. I'm unsure what my first step should be. I'm reading unscripted once again and taking notes and reading though this forum to figure out how to move forward. I hope that I can figure out my first step and then keep stepping and make this idea a reality.

Neng Her likes this.
  15. Neng Her

Neng Her Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $155
    Nice. Research would be my first step.

16. Nickolas Poce

Rep Bank:
    $178
    Hahah that's so simple! Thank you. I've kinda already started but it's not just a product to the masses, I need to approach municipalities. I'll start calling around and asking questions. I know it's not going to be easy at all, but I also know if I'm successful I'll save lives.

Neng Her likes this.
  17. 100k

100k Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,949
    So what do you want from us? Do you want our permission to steal his idea because you "think" he won't ever execute on it? Fine, you've got our permission .... now go execute.

I still think its sly of ya to steal the man's idea and not compensate or inform him - but if you can live with yourself then more power to ya.

Why don't you tell him you want to buy his idea outright for $100 and possibly hire him in the future for more advice on how to improve on the idea (that is if he isn't planning on executing on the idea) and see what he says. That's what I would do.... but do whatever you want bruh. BTW... how long have you worked for under $12/hour .... and yet here you are today trying to start your own business. You're just full of contradictions bruh.

18. Nickolas Poce

Rep Bank:
    $178
    You're absolutely right, it is sly, and I'm ashamed I even thought of it. I figured maybe some people have a hard time coming up with ideas and just wanted to through this out there to help. I should have thought it through a bit more.

I don't feel I have anything to offer being new to this and I just wanted to offer something to the community before asking for advice.

Who am I to judge anyone when I've never executed any of my own ideas. Maybe he could get his ideas up and running, and I hope he does, and changes his life around.

I'm glad to see it in a different light now. Why not buy the idea and possibly involve him? That's exactly how I should have started this thread in the first place.

I'm not a great person, but I am always trying to improve myself in all areas, and I've definately learnt something here, thank you for sharing your thoughts.

100k likes this.
  19. 100k

100k Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,949
    Good on ya.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018 at 5:46 AM