The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to create a good Website?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

kcaps

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 4, 2018
Germany
Hello everyone, I'm currently struggling to find out what needs to be on a good website.

From what I saw, the design doesn't matter too much, sure it can look fancy with all the animations, but most of the business owners dont care about the look, because they want users who visit their website.

So, personally I've settled with Wordpress and I can work with Gutenberg blocks, Elementor, Divi and Bricksbuilder, I also don't have a problem with creating dynamic data such as creating a listing.

Currently I have a customer who already has a website but it doesnt get that much attention, so I'm wondering: How to create a (better) website?

What needs to be on a good website, especially the front page/landing page, what is important to show?

Does it depend on the business, e.g. a barber shop shows different things than a therapist?

Is there like a "general rule" or is it enough to check templates for the specific business and then change the content to their needs?

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theOfficialRJ

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 31, 2017
Canada
Yes, it largely depends on the niche. But most importantly, put yourself in the shoes of the customer. What information would they want to see on the website? Look at other websites in the same niche. How are they structured? Do they all follow a specific pattern?

Without information on the niche or the company that's all I can suggest. Good luck!

kcaps

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 4, 2018
Germany
Yeah I assume that's my current problem, "How will the customer see the website and what is important for them when they visit it", so basically how to structure the website with subpages.

But yes, it is an good idea to check the competing websites, since I have access to semrush and AHrefs.

puredot

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jun 26, 2020
Poland
Hey @kcaps !

Do you mean that people do not visit the website or they do not stay for long for it (bounce rate is high)?

If it's the former - there are many ways to get traffic to your website. You can read about SEO or paid ads or any other channel you can imagine.

If it's the latter - you could try to read about sales process, copywriting and such. An order of information on your website IS important.

kcaps

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 4, 2018
Germany
I might have another potential customer which already has a good website with good traffic, but the bounce rate is pretty high.

So for customer A I probably have to do some SEO / marketing and for customer B I have to learn about copywriting / sales.

What I noticed is probably my mindset, I want the "perfect" website (perfectionism?) for the customers but I think too complicated to create it, such as: whats the right tool, if I use tool X the website will be slow, if its slow the customer will ask me to make it faster, then I have to transfer the website to another tool and so on, all that takes time and also wastes time.

EN_VY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Sep 28, 2012
Houston
Hello everyone, I'm currently struggling to find out what needs to be on a good website.

From what I saw, the design doesn't matter too much, sure it can look fancy with all the animations, but most of the business owners dont care about the look, because they want users who visit their website.

So, personally I've settled with Wordpress and I can work with Gutenberg blocks, Elementor, Divi and Bricksbuilder, I also don't have a problem with creating dynamic data such as creating a listing.

Currently I have a customer who already has a website but it doesnt get that much attention, so I'm wondering: How to create a (better) website?

What needs to be on a good website, especially the front page/landing page, what is important to show?

Does it depend on the business, e.g. a barber shop shows different things than a therapist?

Is there like a "general rule" or is it enough to check templates for the specific business and then change the content to their needs?

Thanks!
First off, stay away from those bloated builders like Elementor, Divi, etc unless you want to produce medeicore work. I myself use Oxygen Builder for Wordpress, however if you are new to web design this might take a while for you to start. A couple of "gurus" will tell you that it doesn't matter how you build a website, but if you want to do it right, I suggest staying away from those builders.

For the most part a website has to build trust with visitors, and showcase the services offered. I have different approach depending on each client but on the homepage I usually include a unique value propositions, an outline of services, testimonials, contact form, etc. Sometimes I'll look at the big dogs to see what they are doing. For example, if I'm working with a small plumbing company, I'll look at national plumbing companies like ARS Rescue Rooter or 1-800 plumber. After all, these companies have been around, and have tested what works and what doesn't. Although these companies operate at a larger scale, you can always learn something from them.

It also depends on what your skill levels are, and how creative you can get.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
In general, you can follow the following steps to make an effective website.
1. Address the person(your audience), the problem they are facing, and the pain that problem is causing in some detail.
2. Share a story. A solution of how that product has solved a problem for someone. Provide testimonials to show the credibility of your product.
3. Clear CTA: Once you've established your message with the above steps, provide a no-nonsense, crystal clear call to action to direct your customer in the right direction.

There could be variations, but the gist of this framework remains the same.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

Thanks!

This is a very general question with no str8 answer.
If I could give you a general rules its this one:

Make something, put it out there and add in tools which help you track user behaviour and outcome (conversion if thats the case).

There is no such thing as a perfect website, however some general guidelines are:

- About us page
- GDPR
- Contact form
- Legal pages
- Crystal clear images
- Mobile optimized design(as in high page speed score)
- Complementary colors

There are many many MANY more, but that doesnt matter
It matters what the site exists for, what it will be used for and does it get the outcomes that the client is seeking.

I recommend using: Google Analytics and Hotjar as a start.

So put something out there, make in mobile frienly, add in the legal texts, send out links to people that might be interested and then analize analize analize.
The data will tell you what you are doing wrong and right.

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
For reference, divi is no longer bloated since the release in August 2021. It now strips out all excess CSS, fonts and Javascript to only include what's essential. Most of my pages load sub 1 second on a regular SiteGround hosting plan.

1637245415233.png

That said, the internet is full of people who hamper their site using poorly designed plugins that kill performance.

kcaps

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 4, 2018
Germany
Oh divi got better? I think I touched it like last year or beginning of this year and it still was horrible, even with caching and on a Vultr VPS with all that fancy custom nginx flags no one really cares about, so I never really touched it again, before that I created one website with it and just called it a day.

But overall I know that page builders arent perfect, speaking of Elementor, Divi, Brizy, WPBakery and probably all of the custom page builders from the "top 10 wordpress themes on themeforest", even with caching, CDN, using a VPS they still add bloat and takes time to optimize.

(big) BUT: Is it really worth to learn something like Oxygen builder (which has a steep learning curve), just to get 0.5s loading speed instead of like 0.8s or 1.2s but getting the job done faster?

I mean I've seen websites which take like 7 or 8 seconds to fully load, they were built with Elementor and they had tons of photos on their website including a woocommerce store, so not sure if it would help to either use Oxygen or keep Elementor but instead optimize the website and photos and use a proper caching with a CDN, if its a potential customer.

@Cameraman Is this with any caching in place? Such as WP Rocket? Or just using Divis internal tweaks? Because that looks pretty decent for a Divi website hosted on SiteGround.

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
Oh divi got better? I think I touched it like last year or beginning of this year and it still was horrible, even with caching and on a Vultr VPS with all that fancy custom nginx flags no one really cares about, so I never really touched it again, before that I created one website with it and just called it a day.

But overall I know that page builders arent perfect, speaking of Elementor, Divi, Brizy, WPBakery and probably all of the custom page builders from the "top 10 wordpress themes on themeforest", even with caching, CDN, using a VPS they still add bloat and takes time to optimize.

(big) BUT: Is it really worth to learn something like Oxygen builder (which has a steep learning curve), just to get 0.5s loading speed instead of like 0.8s or 1.2s but getting the job done faster?

I mean I've seen websites which take like 7 or 8 seconds to fully load, they were built with Elementor and they had tons of photos on their website including a woocommerce store, so not sure if it would help to either use Oxygen or keep Elementor but instead optimize the website and photos and use a proper caching with a CDN, if its a potential customer.

@Cameraman Is this with any caching in place? Such as WP Rocket? Or just using Divis internal tweaks? Because that looks pretty decent for a Divi website hosted on SiteGround.
I agree something like Oxygen may give better results but there wasn't a great deal of choice. I opted for divi as the best combination of speed of build/ease of learning at the time. Now I have too invested in the platform to migrate. I would rather invest the time/money in my business.

Yes, these figures are with WP Rocket for caching. I did though turn it off and ran the metrics again so you could see the difference.

1637247737226.png

This is pure divi and it takes 1.3 seconds to be fully loaded. Not the fastest but it's still better than many sites (especially my competitors).

Attachments

• 1637247704370.png
    1637247704370.png
    290.2 KB · Views: 0

EN_VY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Sep 28, 2012
Houston
For reference, divi is no longer bloated since the release in August 2021. It now strips out all excess CSS, fonts and Javascript to only include what's essential. Most of my pages load sub 1 second on a regular SiteGround hosting plan.

View attachment 40803

That said, the internet is full of people who hamper their site using poorly designed plugins that kill performance.
What are your scores on the mobile tab of Google Pagespeed Insights? I find it easy to get 100 on GTMetrix. The sites I have on Oxygen sometimes have a combination of a 10mb self hosted videos, animations, hd images etc, 3rd party scripts etc and I still get 90+ on mobile. I despise Divi, so haven't checked but maybe they really stepped it up.

To the OP, if you aren't familiar with CSS/HTML, I would stay away from Oxygen for now. But yeah, look at what the top competitors are doing and then improve on that for your customers.

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
What are your scores on the mobile tab of Google Pagespeed Insights? I find it easy to get 100 on GTMetrix. The sites I have on Oxygen sometimes have a combination of a 10mb self hosted videos, animations, hd images etc, 3rd party scripts etc and I still get 90+ on mobile. I despise Divi, so haven't checked but maybe they really stepped it up.

To the OP, if you aren't familiar with CSS/HTML, I would stay away from Oxygen for now. But yeah, look at what the top competitors are doing and then improve on that for your customers.
Here's the Mobile page score using the Chrome Developer Tools report and Lighthouse.

1637262272501.png
I think the scores are quite reasonable. And whilst I know how to use CSS/HTML/Python/PHP/Javascript etc I find building my pages with Divi just fine. I might not choose it as my solution today if I were starting again but I'm kind of locked into it now. As I mentioned I don't want to spend the time or money migrating to something else.

kcaps

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 4, 2018
Germany

At the moment, if a customer wants/needs a fast page I will use Gutenberg blocks or Bricksbuilder, which is similar to Oxygen builder, except a Popup builder AND fast website is needed, then I have to use Gutenberg Blocks (Kadence with Conversion plugin) because Bricksbuilder doesnt have a popup builder yet, for everything else I'm good with Elementor I think, since its the fastest way to create websites for me.

I do know HTML/CSS but I would say I'm at a beginner to intermediate level.

Hitch-hiker

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 23, 2019
Poland
Why not to use html and css only?
Wouldn't it be much faster than WordPress with page builder?

Hitch-hiker

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 23, 2019
Poland

Zedd9165

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Dec 22, 2017
India
I was also going to suggest this. You can use bootstrap which also gives amazing results in terms of site's aesthetics and speed and other overall performance. But for that you would have to know HTML CSS javascript.

Hitch-hiker

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 23, 2019
Poland

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.