The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to convince my slowlane parents to accept my fastlane ideas?!

Idea threads

harp1600

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
May 12, 2018
United States
Backstory: My parents are both slowlane and they are very traditional. I, however, have big ambitions and want to be in the fastlane. They both support school and college immensely. They both love the thought of getting a job and they want me to get a job as well. Here recently, I bought my dad Unscripted and TMF , so hopefully, he doesn't get too triggered.

How exactly do I get them to accept my fastlane ideas?

They both really hate me making "risky" moves and they want me to get a job. I really want my business to pop off and make a lot of money and just let the money talk for itself, but it's not, yet. They don't think I can make real money online and they are really behind their age if you ask me. I really don't know how to talk to them because they are so insular.

My dad, however, actually considers the ideas but my mom says no. (My mom speaks louder than my dad when it comes to decision making).

A little more detail about my story is, I've had my business for a little over a year and everything has gone well, but I recently have been thinking about investing a good deal of money in it (I know it will pay itself off). The only way I can invest is through my parents' payment methods and they really don't want me to do it. It took enough to even get INSIDERS!

I'm kind of stuck right now so I will take any advice for you fellow fastlaners out there. Thank you all!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DistressedDenim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 10, 2018
US
Make better use of the free time they give you.

If they see you're actually committed to entrepreneurship and building things, not doing random hustles, they'll support you. If they see you as a lazy wantrepreneur who calls himself an entrepreneur so he can slack off and say "F*ck college!", they'll never support you.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO

There's only one way to get them to accept fastlane ideas...

Start making money and supporting yourself off of it.

Until that happens it's all a wonderful fairy tale in their eyes and they will try to knock you back down to reality, which is understandable.

Try telling someone your dream is to be a pro athlete. Most will rip you to shreds. Some will tell you to go for it. Few if any will believe you can do it unless you show them the results. Show them how much you can bench, how high you can jump, and how fast you are and maybe they will start to think you have a shot. But until you show them proof they will all doubt you.

Nobody doubted Lebron James' dream to go to the NBA. You could see him play in high school and become a believer yourself because he showed you his skills.

Same with you. If you start showing them your skills in business (making money). They may just become a believer.

I can just imagine a family party and a relative asks your dad, "So did your son find a job?" "Well no he's been running an internet business." "Oh how's that going?" "Well he used up all of our money and lost it all." "Oh my! He should just get a job instead of gambling with your money!" "I know."

What if instead your dad said to him, "Well he moved out and bought a new car with cold hard cash! He's really got that internet thingy working for him." Your relative would probably say, "Oh my! That's impressive. What business does he run? Tell me more!"

It's not about the idea, it's about the results.

Don't tell them you are going to make money. Bring home some Benjamins.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Results.

Talk (ideas) are cheap.

TALK
Kid: I wanna be Fastlane!
Parent: Uh, OK.

RESULTS
Parent: Why you packing?
Kid: I put 50% down and bought a house, I'm moving out.
Parent: OMG, how? What?

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
What everyone else said :)

Are you telling them you don't want to go to school and just stay at home working on a business that makes no money?

You've had your business for a year and nothing to show for it. So who could blame your parents?

The only way I can invest is through my parents' payment methods and they really don't want me to do it.

Figure out a way to make money to invest in your business on your own, and maybe your parents will be more open tothis idea of you being "fastlane".

The easiest would be a part time job :).

Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Money is the easy part. What value does your business provide?

What if your Dad asked you to invest all YOUR money in his new venture? What would you say? What would you want to know?

Quit being self absorbed and start to provide value and solve problems.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Results.

Talk (ideas) are cheap.

TALK
Kid: I wanna be Fastlane!
Parent: Uh, OK.

RESULTS
Parent: Why you packing?
Kid: I put 50% down and bought a house, I'm moving out.
Parent: OMG, how? What?

This.

I'll save you ten years of experience:

99% of people in the slowlane will consider you a loser until you achieve their definition of success. For most people their version of success means buying a house, fancy car, or spending money frivolously.
  • Made $100,000 last year, but invested it back into your business? Loser.
  • Spent all year traveling, but came home for one month, don't have your own place, and stayed with your parents? Loser.
  • Not married at 27 and don't have a serious girlfriend because you prefer casual flings and working? Loser.
  • Bought a 10,000 square foot warehouse for your business but don't own your own house while friends are buying houses on mortgages? Loser.
  • Don't wear a suit to work and travel downtown every day because you rather wear casual clothes and work at home most days? Loser.
  • Own $150,000 in trucks outright but drive a $8,000 car everyday instead of a Mercedes? Loser.
To summarize: The slowlane has its own definition of success. If you don't achieve their version of success then they'll consider you a loser until you finally get there.

The only way to "convince" your parents of your fastlane endeavors is to make so much money that you can buy social signals like houses, cars, etc. without batting an eye.

EnvisionEd

Education Revolutionary
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Nov 28, 2018
New Philadelphia, OH
I have faced similar backlash in the past few months, from close family. I know they are only trying to look out for me the best way they know how, and they have always been incredibly supportive about everything else in my life, but they simply don't get it when it comes to the Fastlane because there has been nothing like it before. I made the decision to forge ahead with all of my plans and they'll be able to see the results in the end. Stay strong, charge ahead and be a person of action and don't care what others think of what you're doing. It'll work out in the end. Best of luck OP.

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 30, 2019
I don't really talk about FL/Unscripted to many, though exposure to both has already freed me from a lot of chains.
Instead, I find that my mindset and ideas get a lot of flak for being "too idealistic".

"Get your head out of the clouds"
"This is the real world"
"There is nothing you can do about it, it is how it is, accept it"

Everytime I hear these phrases from people who clearly hate their life it makes me want to vomit muriatic acid.
Just this morning, I was providing VALUE by doing cost estimates for lost equipment from an incident and reports on risks to productivity and other equipment due to the negligence that caused the damages.
I was informed that the reports have been received but will not be acted on or forwarded.
Why?
"Because this is just the way it has to be, it's better to not make waves".
Chided because no one wants to take any risk of any kind, to lay low and crawl into retirement and expire.

It's infuriating

At the very least, MJ planted a seed in me that's sprouting and I'm getting to the point where I know I will work to die being free and Unscripted rather than sitting saturating in an environment of ultimate and masochistic mediocrity.

/Rant

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Don't volunteer information. There will always be doubters until you actually do something. And even after that, you'll still have doubters. People doubt Elon Musk, they doubt Buffett, they doubt some of the most prolific entrepreneurs of our time.

You can only change opinions by actions and results.

Done defeats doubt.

Giving your dad my book to read is a good start, but will fail miserably. He either won't read it, or will call it a scam. I don't take that personally, he's not rebelling against me or my ideas, but rebelling against anything that deviates from normalcy and trying to protect his son.

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
It's kind of like the maxim from the book, "If you have to think about it you can't afford it."
If you need your parents money or permission are you really Fastlane? Make money the best way you know how then do it again. If it comes to "my way or the highway." You either have enough to go on your own or you don't.
As far as college, my answer would be along the lines of I'll never stop learning, but I'd rather stay debt free while I do learn and grow. You may have to compromise.

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
Backstory: My parents are both slowlane and they are very traditional. I, however, have big ambitions and want to be in the fastlane. They both support school and college immensely. They both love the thought of getting a job and they want me to get a job as well. Here recently, I bought my dad Unscripted and TMF , so hopefully, he doesn't get too triggered.

They both really hate me making "risky" moves and they want me to get a job. I really want my business to pop off and make a lot of money and just let the money talk for itself, but it's not, yet. They don't think I can make real money online and they are really behind their age if you ask me. I really don't know how to talk to them because they are so insular.

My dad, however, actually considers the ideas but my mom says no. (My mom speaks louder than my dad when it comes to decision making).

A little more detail about my story is, I've had my business for a little over a year and everything has gone well, but I recently have been thinking about investing a good deal of money in it (I know it will pay itself off). The only way I can invest is through my parents' payment methods and they really don't want me to do it. It took enough to even get INSIDERS!

I'm kind of stuck right now so I will take any advice for you fellow fastlaners out there. Thank you all!

i have the same problem, you can say and talk what u want, they dont like it, they dont believe it and they think you throw your life away while they see your cousins and friends doing fine on their Slowlane Jobs and buying cars and houses and starting a Family. So i guess you and me have to drive home in a Lambo(not leased) so they can relax. So just keep going! lol :D

Tubs

Starting fresh
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Apr 5, 2019
VA
[QUOTE="harp1600, post: 745820, The only way I can invest is through my parents' payment methods and they really don't want me to do it.
[/QUOTE]
Instead of using their money try one of these.
1. Make your buisness profitable and reinvest the profits to grow.
2. Hustle, mow some lawns, clean windows, sell stuff, etc... invest the money in your buisnesd.
3. Get a job and pump the money you make from that into your buisness.

If you work hard you can make it! Go for it!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.