The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to build a 100 billion $ app?

HyperFocus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 4, 2016
Amsterdam
First: my title was an attention grabber tho this idea is really worth over 100bil with the right execution (im not at that level)

While working on my latest venture I came up with a genius idea for an app business.

Its something so big and logical that it will happen anyway within a couple of years and it will be HUGE!

This is far above my level (have never dealt with such a size) but I thought F it, at least I should try.

I have zero experience with aps and have no programming background.

Would you advise me to look for a reputable company in the Netherlands to create the app?
Or find a talented guy who can build it and partner up with me?

I only have around 200k$ and most is in RE, so I need an investor too.

Im 100% confident that once the app is built and WORKING, that I can make it huge in no time. Ill start in one country then grow it in other European markets once its successful.
Im very sure that it will work but Im also scared because I dont know anything about apps and hate getting investors involved.

Thanks for your advice and thanks for reading. I know my posting may sound unrealistic but Im deadserious.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

HyperFocus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 4, 2016
Amsterdam
No soliciting investors on this forum. [HASHTAG]#ReadTheRules[/HASHTAG]

Im not asking for an investor.

Im asking for strategic advice on which path to take.

One of the paths could be to approach an investor, I already know people with a lot of $ who would invest, but Im not sure if I should do that.
Maybe I could just partner up with someone who could build the app himself? In return for a % in the company.

Cheers

downpaymentblues

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Mar 25, 2016
Germany
Without execution your idea is worth nothing. You won't find a partner, who will do the whole work for you and will kindly share 50 % of the business with you.

My suggestion is: Execute the first steps, get experience in app development, develop a first prototype of the app and then go to local meetups to win others for your idea. One step at a time.

Last edited:

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Im not asking for an investor.

Im asking for strategic advice on which path to take.

One of the paths could be to approach an investor, I already know people with a lot of $ who would invest, but Im not sure if I should do that.
Maybe I could just partner up with someone who could build the app himself? In return for a % in the company.

Cheers

Why should someone give you % for an idea? Ideas are worthless, the execution counts.

HyperFocus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 4, 2016
Amsterdam
Why should someone give you % for an idea? Ideas are worthless, the execution counts.

I agree.

I was thinking to set it up like this:

He technically builds the app
I already have a details on what the app should do and what it should look like.
I might give him money, but not full price because full might be like 100k.
He gets a % in the company.
Once the app is done I will do all the work and I will make it BIGG!
He can still work on sustaining the app etc.
He will be filthy rich!

Do you think this is realistic ?

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
I agree.

I was thinking to set it up like this:

He technically builds the app
I already have a details on what the app should do and what it should look like.
I might give him money, but not full price because full might be like 100k.
He gets a % in the company.
He can still work on sustaining the app etc.
He will be filthy rich!

Do you think this is realistic ?

Why would he need you?
He could make that app on his own. And future promises of you working hard AFTER he worked hard are not the best to get good people on board.

It seems that you are looking for an easy way out, you would have zero control over your product, if the programmer decides to move on you're F*cked.

HyperFocus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 4, 2016
Amsterdam
Why would he need you?
He could make that app on his own. And future promises of you working hard AFTER he worked hard are not the best to get good people on board.

It seems that you are looking for an easy way out, you would have zero control over your product, if the programmer decides to move on you're F*cked.

Yes I know what you mean, you are right, thats a serious problem.

What would be a smarter way for me to do it in your respective opinion?

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
if you are so confident in how big I will be sell your real estate to fund it.

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany

Well first thing to accept is that there are no shortcuts to success. You will have to put in a lot of hard work to make this work.

I never built an app so I'm not really the best to ask this. Some would probably say the best thing is to learn it yourself and build it. Others may say outsourcing it is the way to go. That's something I can't answer you.

HyperFocus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 4, 2016
Amsterdam
Well first thing to accept is that there are no shortcuts to success. You will have to put in a lot of hard work to make this work.

I never built an app so I'm not really the best to ask this. Some would probably say the best thing is to learn it yourself and build it. Others may say outsourcing it is the way to go. That's something I can't answer you.

Yes same here.

I hope someone here has experience building an app so he could warn me of risks and advice me on where to go.

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
Yes same here.

I hope someone here has experience building an app so he could warn me of risks and advice me on where to go.
2 ways:

Learn programming build it yourself, find an "investor"
or
Fund it yourself and hire a programmer.

Problem solved.

Kubson

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 6, 2014
I am developer with experience in game dev (you can find some of my previous games at fureyegames.com), but could easily create apps too. I am open to talk with you about executing the idea for rev-share. PM if you are interested.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
Luckily for you I'm a talented programmer in the Netherlands!

If you can really explain your idea to someone (like me) you could make him create a small Proof of Concept for a small price.
Show your idea to investors and see where it goes.

Send me an PM, I'm interested in creating the app but coming up with further ideas too :)

Jesse Dallenbach

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Jul 3, 2015
Northern California, U.S.A.
You wrote, "I'm 100% confident that once the app is built and WORKING, that I can make it huge in no time." "Once the app is done I will do all the work and I will make it BIGG!" and "He will be filthy rich!"

Taking that at face value I assume you have extensive knowledge and real world implementation/execution of in marketing and have an already established "network" that aids you in this marketing so you should be well adept in talking with people and negotiating "deals".

If that is the case why the are you coming to an internet forum asking for advice?

The message your posts are conveying are most definetly mixed.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Outsource the Prototype to someone or a team somewhere the costs of doing so are not so high. Start Small.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Why do you believe that this App will cost you around 100k to be designed? I'm a student trying to get my app idea programmed and released and I'm looking at a development budget of 5k with my developer.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
Why do you believe that this App will cost you around 100k to be designed? I'm a student trying to get my app idea programmed and released and I'm looking at a development budget of 5k with my developer.

Here is a nice picture to answer your question
main-qimg-d03501fed4db6c2096dfba71d50cfd4c

So minimum 2k. Maximum could well exceed over 100k. Depends on what you need.

Aaron W

^‿^
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 25, 2015
Toronto
Go make a website. 1 Page, sell the idea, collect emails.
See if people will sign up to get the first release of the app (just lie and say its coming out soon)

No sign ups = shit app

No point asking questions here. If its so good you would be running around looking to make it work right now.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
This is the area I would focus on if you are partnering with a tech guy to handle that side of the business?

Demonstrate how you are able to execute and grow the app...I would spend some effort really articulating your strategy to market and sell the app and grow the business...

I met with a serial entrepreneur last night (must be in his mid 50's), who is raising a seed stage round of $500,000 to develop and market the app, and will be going for $1 Million in his series A funding - and the thing he said that most investors (or partners) need to know....is that you can deliver on the marketing and sales, and they will get their money back...

HyperFocus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 4, 2016
Amsterdam
This is the area I would focus on if you are partnering with a tech guy to handle that side of the business?

Demonstrate how you are able to execute and grow the app...I would spend some effort really articulating your strategy to market and sell the app and grow the business...

I met with a serial entrepreneur last night (must be in his mid 50's), who is raising a seed stage round of $500,000 to develop and market the app, and will be going for $1 Million in his series A funding - and the thing he said that most investors (or partners) need to know....is that you can deliver on the marketing and sales, and they will get their money back...

Yes you are right Andrew. Absolutely correct! Why would he invest in me if he can just create the app quickly and let his friend do it.

The thing is that the execution is sooo important!

Even with this unbelievable next level idea I bet that most entrepreneurs will fail. Several have came up with something a bit similar yet their strategy disables them to make it big.

I know I can make it huge from the ground up but in order to make it really huge internationally I need help on a whole different level, but before I can ask for that help I want to be able to show that person that Im the one to invest in rather than have him create a similar app quickly and take over the other country's markets.

Im not yet at a level for this idea but I believe I will in any case learn a tremendous amount, which is the reason why Im moving forward with it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.