The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking for help on how to build a team.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

tireddeveloper

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Oct 17, 2021
Hey there fellow fast laners. I have found a product in the crypto space that I can create and there is a severe market need for. I have started planning the technical side of how to build this product. However being a developer for over a decade now I lack certain skills. One of these skills (which I believe is critical) is how to build a team. For instance, I need to find someone who can do marketing and sales, someone to do some of the technical work (because multiple developers are needed), along with many other roles.

In the past I have used Upwork to get discrete problems solved, such as design me this website with this content. However I know I am going to need better skills when it comes to making a team and eventually a company.

I would really appreciate help on resources about doing these kinds of things and building a team. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
It's you. Or it's you and a couple friends you know are smart as F*ck. Everyone else is an employee who needs to be given clear instructions on what to do. Startups have trouble they they subscribe to "build a team" theory and think they can just hire "talent". That's a buzzword euphemism for employee. Don't get it twisted. It takes 1-3 people with a 140 IQ and everyone else with a 95-105 IQ to do the work you give them. The further you stray from that, the more problems you will have. Clearly defined roles and expectations and not trying to make founders out of employees will make things run smoothly for you.

Hiring a salesperson will not usually result in someone teaching you how to sell your product. They will do what you tell them to do. They'll look at you with a blank stare that says "dude just tell me what to do so I can collect the 70k a year you promised me so I can do it and go home".

Upwork is for freelancers. Post job ads to hire employees. Places like Indeed aren't bad.

Build the product in its most basic form and ask us for feedback and then how to go about selling/marketing it. Us business owners excel in getting things to market and solving those types of problems.

Then you'll have a basic roadmap and from there you can hire your employees to execute the directions and save you time.

tireddeveloper

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Oct 17, 2021
It's you. Or it's you and a couple friends you know are smart as f*ck. Everyone else is an employee who needs to be given clear instructions on what to do. Startups have trouble they they subscribe to "build a team" theory and think they can just hire "talent". That's a buzzword euphemism for employee. Don't get it twisted. It takes 1-3 people with a 140 IQ and everyone else with a 95-105 IQ to do the work you give them. The further you stray from that, the more problems you will have. Clearly defined roles and expectations and not trying to make founders out of employees will make things run smoothly for you.

Hiring a salesperson will not usually result in someone teaching you how to sell your product. They will do what you tell them to do. They'll look at you with a blank stare that says "dude just tell me what to do so I can collect the 70k a year you promised me so I can do it and go home".

Upwork is for freelancers. Post job ads to hire employees. Places like Indeed aren't bad.

Build the product in its most basic form and ask us for feedback and then how to go about selling/marketing it. Us business owners excel in getting things to market and solving those types of problems.

Then you'll have a basic roadmap and from there you can hire your employees to execute the directions and save you time.
Hey Johnny boy, thanks for taking the time to respond.

This is extremely helpful. I gotta say, I have never really thought about the fact that just hiring a sales person would not be enough. That I would have to tell them exactly what to do.

"Build the product in its most basic form and ask us for feedback and then how to go about selling/marketing it. Us business owners excel in getting things to market and solving those types of problems." < - I really appreciate this. I will definitely post it once I have the basics up and running. Not sure this helps but a competitor sort of would be https://www.certik.com/

RussRussman18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 8, 2016
Louisiana
I gotta say, I have never really thought about the fact that just hiring a sales person would not be enough. That I would have to tell them exactly what to do.
The other pitfall is hiring a salesperson who hits the ground running, but sells using dishonest, deceptive tactics, destroying the integrity and reputation of your business, getting you customers that won't stay, and not targeting the customers that would actually benefit from your product

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.