The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Anything related to matters of the mind

M11105

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
262%
Oct 2, 2013
USA
iu

This blog post by Sam Altman (President of the incubator that spawned AirBnB, Dropbox, Coinbase, Instacart, Stripe and +100 companies) is one of the most succinct and practical pieces of advice on how to become truly wealthy.

It's a long piece but highly recommended:
How To Be Successful

Here are the 13 points if you want a quick fix and need to get to it later:

1. Compound yourself
2. Have almost too much self belief
3. Learn to think independently
4. Get good at "Sales"
5. Make it easy to take risks
6. Focus
7. Work hard
8. Be bold
9. Be willful
10. Be hard to compete with
11. Build a network
12. You get rich by owning things
13. Be internally driven

At first these tenets might feel simplistic or obvious. I encourage you to read the post to see the real meaning behind them. For example, on the topic of Focus he says:

"Focus is a force multiplier on work.

Almost everyone I’ve ever met would be well-served by spending more time thinking about what to focus on. It is much more important to work on the right thing than it is to work many hours. Most people waste most of their time on stuff that doesn’t matter.

Once you have figured out what to do, be unstoppable about getting your small handful of priorities accomplished quickly. I have yet to meet a slow-moving person who is very successful."

I love the provocation about "Most people waste most of their time on stuff that doesn’t matter." On my last (fairly well paid) job in corporate America we would spend hours preparing presentations to convince other managers about something so that they would in turn convince somebody else about relatively immaterial things... Often most of the content of those presentations would not see the light of day, let alone go and enable the production of something that could be bought or made revenue of.
Incidentally, that's why I also like MJ's Daily Planner with the ONE THING TO DO TODAY. The power behind focus can never be overstated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
Sam went to my daughter's high school and came back recently to speak at an assembly. "Brilliant" is an understatement!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.