The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Apply Fastlane to Farming

JSM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Nov 19, 2016
I think one way is having your farm or facility rented.

Getting investors to invest in livestocks and then you take care of them for a fee and if you have contacts to sell the livestocks you can give investors percentage return on their investments.

Just a few things that I can think of for now.
I know in my area there are people that will do a 50/50 split with hogs. One person buys and owns the pigs and pays for feed, meds, etc. The other person owns the barn and equipment and takes care of the pigs daily.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
It depends.. basically without GMO we would be screwed. I'm not a big fan of both chemicals and GMOs but it really had a big influence on the food production in many areas globally. I agree that food corporations took over and it will be hard to make small farmers big again.
"Screwed"??? That sounds like the "big ag" propaganda I hear all the time from the industry.

Why not allow people the freedom to choose by being honest them about what is being put into their food?

Michał Kóska

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 10, 2015
Of course- freedom of choice. But GMO has a really bad PR, not all of it is true. Crops without modification would not yield as much/ would not survive many diseases, harsh conditions. I did some research on it, it is not from wikipedia :).

jmomcc

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 10, 2014
Young farmers are dying out but that is also due to economies of scale in cash crop farming. My in laws farm a 1000 acres in ontario and that is the bare minimum to be viable in that field. Farms are expanding constantly and buying out people with 200 acres/300 acres or renting from them. If ypu wanted to buy 1000 acres in southern ontario, you are looking at around $22,000,000.

If you can figure out to add value to these massive farms, then you are on to a winner. They already spend literally 100,000s of dollars on combines. They will spend money on making their lives more efficient.

I have seen some cool stuff around here. One family imported a special turf for soccer fields and is the only supplier in the province.. or so they said. They started as a cash crop farm. Another thing is seeing trends and getting on them. Ginseng is a massive money maker right now.

jmomcc

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 10, 2014
"Screwed"??? That sounds like the "big ag" propaganda I hear all the time from the industry.

Why not allow people the freedom to choose by being honest them about what is being put into their food?

Screwed as in millions (billions?) of people would have died in the third world. There were legitimate fears of mass starvation before GMO crops.

Aetherwolf

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 7, 2017
Austria
Screwed as in millions (billions?) of people would have died in the third world. There were legitimate fears of mass starvation before GMO crops.

That is complete propaganda. Pretty simple to disprove though. Just try to find out exactly which GMO-Crops "saved" us from this "mass starvation". Where are they planted and (most important) try to find figures about how much higher their yield actually was, compared to regions without the use of GMOs. Such data does not exist, because all actual scientific research points out that GMO-Crops have failed to increase yields or reduce the use of pesticides/herbicides. What actually DID change yields a lot, was the global proliferation of artificial fertilizers.

I only know of one example for exactly the opposite: The widespread adaption of GMO cotton in India lead to massive problems in drought years, because the new plants needed more water and where therefore dependent on irrigation, which the millions of very small farmers could not afford. In good years the GMO plants would bring higher yields, but in bad years the farmers would end up with nothing but dust. Living year to year that meant facing starvation. This was and still is a major contributing factor to the suicide waves of indian farmers, which have occured since 2002.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
Does starvation still exist in the third world?

Dmorr

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Dec 31, 2017
North Texas
Since you are in Washington, D.C. production agriculture is probably out of the question. The best way to make money in the cattle business is to have pumpjacks for shade for your cows. (It's a joke if you are not from Texas). My advise would be to find a really good product that is already in production and go market it. High quality beef is impossible to buy in a grocery store. There are other good products out there that could grow in the marketplace if they were marketed. Of course if you wanted, Boone Pickens has his ranch for sale in the Texas panhandle.

Lucky Chevy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jan 2, 2018
Northern Virginia
I think agriculture is ripe for innovation. I'm an engineer working in northern VA and worked a bit with the local farms. Corn, wheat, and soy are the main commercial crops. There is some chicken/turkey farming . These seem to be slowlane strategies that will work if you inherited a lot of land, or have money to construct chicken barns and a couple of bad weather years can rack up a lot of debt.

Here are some ideas that come to mind:

Smaller farms (<1,000 acres) often hire out the tilling/planting/harvesting because the machines are very expensive and rarely used. A website to match equipment owners with farmers may make inroads with the new generation of farmers. (Their dad's will probably use the grange or 4H to setup deals)

Some farms use crop dusters for chemical spraying. If you're technically minded you may be able to develop a drone to perform the same task albeit more slowly. Kind of like a big flying roomba. Or maybe the drone could monitor the growth of the crop and feedback into the planting or fertilizing process.

It might be possible to set aside some acreage for stabling horses and opening a riding school. Plenty of disposable income around here as a rule and the area just to the south of us is historically been a horse country.

A couple of farms within an hour have created agriculture "amusement" parks where kids can run, and slide, and climb on stuff while learning about farming. The farms also grow corn, pumpkins, watermelon, and apples. It's creates a destination. The DC market and to a lesser extent Richmond can use places to re-experience the country.

The federal government is under a mandate to purchase green energy. You may be able to construct a photovoltic power plant.

There is no shortage of opportunities,

Dan

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
If you're technically minded you may be able to develop a drone to perform the same task albeit more slowly. Kind of like a big flying roomba.

Just a note.
I've read that use of drones for purpose of agriculture has battery problem. That is, drone with heavy load can't go more then 20 minutes of flight without recharging.

BeFound Faithful

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Dec 19, 2015
Southern California
Hey Guys,

I've long wanted to become a farmer and I was wondering how could I apply the Fastlane philosophy into farming?

Particularly with livestock and such.

I think the Agriculture industry is open for innovation and forward-thinkers, most farmers are getting old and the youth generally stay away from entering the field.

Here you can look at one farmer's experience. His is one the three stories. The Call of the Entrepreneur was what I needed at this point. I hope it could be helpful to you.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROFJKd9hkkA

Mutant

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 8, 2018
London