The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to advertise a luxury streetwear brand?

Kase

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 2, 2018
Hello Fastlane,
I am new here. For the past 5 months, I have been working on a clothing brand called 2-ICONIC. Recently, I have reached the marketing stage for my brand. My product is finished and currently being produced, now it is time for me to create a marketing strategy. Today, there is the easy and popular option of Instagram/Facebook adds. My experience with these adds as a consumer has made them unattractive for the reasons that follow: brands that use Instagram/Facebook adds have a feel of "cheapness" to them. One of the advertisements may be a bracelet that is free, all you have to do is pay for shipping. Multiple advertisements like this create a cheesy worn out strategy that leaves the market full of cheaply made dropshipped products. Several of these adds pollute the general quality of products within that specific advertising market, making the advertisements somewhat unofficial for other brands and grouping them with the dropshipped products.

Influencer marketing interests me but seems unfeasible. In this circumstance, it is highly probable other aspiring entrepreneurs have the same idea. It is posted on almost any "learn how to market," thread. The problem with this is it creates a flood of product an influencer receives. Wasting your product and time.

My question: What is a realistic way to attract attention to my brand/media to expand through market strategies and advertising?

Website Address for more INFO on brand: 2-iconic.com

THANKYOU!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I don't know if you want feedback on your website so I won't go there.

However, you are basically saying that because a McDonald's commercials comes on before a BMW commercial that it makes the BMW look cheap?

My question to you is why do you feel that your brand is a luxury brand? Putting a design on a t-shirt doesn't make it worth $150. You need to do something to elevate your brand. What have you done?

JM35

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Jul 13, 2013
Denver
Hello Fastlane,
I am new here. For the past 5 months, I have been working on a clothing brand called 2-ICONIC. Recently, I have reached the marketing stage for my brand. My product is finished and currently being produced, now it is time for me to create a marketing strategy. Today, there is the easy and popular option of Instagram/Facebook adds. My experience with these adds as a consumer has made them unattractive for the reasons that follow: brands that use Instagram/Facebook adds have a feel of "cheapness" to them. One of the advertisements may be a bracelet that is free, all you have to do is pay for shipping. Multiple advertisements like this create a cheesy worn out strategy that leaves the market full of cheaply made dropshipped products. Several of these adds pollute the general quality of products within that specific advertising market, making the advertisements somewhat unofficial for other brands and grouping them with the dropshipped products.

Influencer marketing interests me but seems unfeasible. In this circumstance, it is highly probable other aspiring entrepreneurs have the same idea. It is posted on almost any "learn how to market," thread. The problem with this is it creates a flood of product an influencer receives. Wasting your product and time.

My question: What is a realistic way to attract attention to my brand/media to expand through market strategies and advertising?

Website Address for more INFO on brand: 2-iconic.com

THANKYOU!
I will go there on the website. First, I think you need a professional website. Doesn't have to be "professionally designed" but it needs to look professional. Right now you are trying to sell shirts that probably cost more than your website did. I would also recommend a professionally designed logo.

And then the second part is, why are your shirts worth $170-310? Your shirts have your brand all over it, but no one knows the brand - so where is the value?

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Why is your shirt worth $170?

If you can’t answer this question easily, you need to figure that out first.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I've seen this one too many times, and it's always the same pattern.
  1. A young, usually college aged kid decides that he wants to start a business.
  2. He likes clothing, so he decides to make "a clothing brand" -- usually this decision is fueled by his inability to see other market opportunities, because he's arrogant enough to think it's easy, and because he wants to do something cool that he can talk about.
  3. He tells everyone that he's starting a clothing company. But not just any clothing company. This one is better because it's a "[adjective] [adjective] brand"
  4. He learns a little bit of photoshop and considers himself a designer
  5. He makes 4 t-shirt designs and gets super hyped
  6. He shows his friends, and they think it's cool since he's the first person they've met in their circle that's trying something
  7. They go out and take ten cool pictures
  8. He then does a little bit of research on how to build a website, and starts working on his site
  9. At first, the site is horrible...but after a couple weeks of trying, it's not that bad and he's impressed by how it looks and thinks he has something great (though his progress is impressive, the website is still trash).
  10. Now he decides it's time to act. He has $500 and is gonna invest it all in this company. He goes to a printing shop and spends his whole budget on the 4 designs.
  11. He has the first batch of t-shirts in hand.
  12. He sells a handful of the first print to his friends. He then enthusiastically pushes his product on anyone that will listen. A number of people buy because it's easier to give him $25 than to ruin a friendship... and if we're being fair, it's a decent t-shirt so screw it, they'll help out this guy they know since it's not that bad of a design.
  13. Now it's time to sell to the real market... people he doesn't know.
  14. Shit.
  15. He's stuck.
  16. He goes through a list of things he thinks might work.
  17. People turn him down because the designs aren't good enough.
  18. ... because the website they land on sucks, so they close out
  19. ... because there's only 4 designs - they don't see it as a real brand
  20. ... the price is too high for them
  21. ... the instagram page has 5 followers, why would they buy this brand?
  22. ... "why is this guy trying to sell me a F*cking t-shirt?"
  23. ... the "brand" has no story, movement behind it, or any semblance of branding
  24. He fails.

If he's smart, he realizes that the brand is not actually a brand. It's a few t-shirts and something that was fun. There's a lot more to creating a clothing brand than just a few designs. Designing, manufacturing, branding, marketing, selling - that's hard. He realizes that it's actual work.

He failed, but he learned a lot about taking action, and can use that on his next venture.

The "t-shirt business" was a great way for him to learn the basics. Now that he knows the basics, he understands that he's only 0.5% on the way to success. He has 99.5% more to go. The journey begins.

Kase

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 2, 2018
Why is your shirt worth $170?

If you can’t answer this question easily, you need to figure that out first.
I will go there on the website. First, I think you need a professional website. Doesn't have to be "professionally designed" but it needs to look professional. Right now you are trying to sell shirts that probably cost more than your website did. I would also recommend a professionally designed logo.

And then the second part is, why is your shirts worth $170-310? Your shirts have your brand all over it, but no one knows the brand - so where is the value?
I don't know if you want feedback on your website so I won't go there.

However, you are basically saying that because a McDonald's commercials comes on before a BMW commercial that it makes the BMW look cheap?

My question to you is why do you feel that your brand is a luxury brand? Putting a design on a t-shirt doesn't make it worth $150. You need to do something to elevate your brand. What have you done?

Responses:
~biophase
I appreciate all feedback! No for the reason that Mcdonald's has no correlation to BMW as it is a car manufacturer.

~JM35
I agree with your comment regarding a professional logo, it is in the works now. What would you suggest changing to make my website have more of a "professional look."

~JM35, biophase, Scot
All great questions let me explain: "Why are your shirts worth $150?" Let me ask you this: What makes modern luxury streetwear hoodies worth $500 today? (Hype) Most luxury brands today are sought after by consumers because of their hype: Supreme, Bape, Off-White, LV. But, how do you obtain hype? By combining these three aspects:

Number One Exclusivity: Limited quantity supplied for a product creates exclusivity by decreasing the chance of someone else having one. Limited supply increases the uniqueness of the given product in contrast to mass production. None of the products are vastly available, creating a demand for them. There is a certain value to have something no one else has. Some consumers are willing to pay top dollar for this. The first pieces of 2-ICONIC's collection are only stocked to twelve.

Number Two Quality: Have you ever heard of a successful luxury brand with low-quality products; I haven't; actually change of thought I have, Supreme! Nevertheless, to add value to my product I felt it was imperative to use high-quality materials.

My products are EarthPositive meaning they are produced exclusively from organic Indian cotton. The entire production process is controlled and certified in accordance with the latest version of GOTS. All products are labeled as Organic. The production of these products undergoes annual audits to comply with the FWF Code of Labour Practices in accordance with the International Labour Organisation’s conventions. My products are also made in manufacturing facilities powered by green renewable energy, from low-impact raw materials. The carbon footprint of my products by this is reduced by some 90%.

The material used to produce the garment are 100% combed organic cotton that has been brushed and triple ring spun leaving it durable and soft. 2-ICONIC's products are hand assembled, whether it is the application of the design or the accessories of the product: patches, embroidery, etc...

Number Three Popularity/Recognition:
The third step, what I am currently working on and seeking help for. Influential people bring light to many brands, most popularly Off-White. Off-White's first products were as cheap as they get. Virgil Abloh bought discount Polo rugby tees and printed his logo on them, later selling out at a price of $500. Why did these sell, because influential people were wearing his product. How did he get them to wear his product? He was Kanye's creative consultant.

Last edited:

Kase

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 2, 2018
  2. He likes clothing, so he decides to make "a clothing brand" -- usually this decision is fueled by his inability to see other market opportunities, because he's arrogant enough to think it's easy, and because he wants to do something cool that he can talk about.
  3. He tells everyone that he's starting a clothing company. But not just any clothing company. This one is better because it's a "[adjective] [adjective] brand"
  6. He shows his friends, and they think it's cool since he's the first person they've met in their circle that's trying something
  8. He then does a little bit of research on how to build a website, and starts working on his site
  9. At first, the site is horrible...but after a couple weeks of trying, it's not that bad and he's impressed by how it looks and thinks he has something great (though his progress is impressive, the website is still trash).
  10. Now he decides it's time to act. He has $500 and is gonna invest it all in this company. He goes to a printing shop and spends his whole budget on the 4 designs.
  12. He sells a handful of the first print to his friends. He then enthusiastically pushes his product on anyone that will listen. A number of people buy because it's easier to give him $25 than to ruin a friendship... and if we're being fair, it's a decent t-shirt so screw it, they'll help out this guy they know since it's not that bad of a design.
  14. sh*t.
  15. He's stuck.
  22. ... "why is this guy trying to sell me a f*cking t-shirt?"
  23. ... the "brand" has no story, movement behind it, or any semblance of branding
  24. He fails.

If he's smart, he realizes that the brand is not actually a brand. It's a few t-shirts and something that was fun. There's a lot more to creating a clothing brand than just a few designs. Designing, manufacturing, branding, marketing, selling - that's hard. He realizes that it's actual work.

He failed, but he learned a lot about taking action, and can use that on his next venture.

The "t-shirt business" was a great way for him to learn the basics. Now that he knows the basics, he understands that he's only 0.5% on the way to success. He has 99.5% more to go. The journey begins.
  14. sh*t.
  15. He's stuck.
  24. He fails.

14. sh*t.
  15. He's stuck.
  24. He fails.

AgainstAllOdds,
Your points are true. I have seen this in others and myself, but many have to start somewhere.
I do have an interest in fashion, but am not targeting this market because it is "cool," but because I saw a market opportunity.

Designing, manufacturing, branding, marketing, selling: yes these are all important aspects of creating a successful clothing brand all of which are being developed, my question was targeted towards marketing. I have researched and watched videos, but nothing was of use. That is why I created a post to gather information to help me learn about this sector of development. Do you have any advice you can share with me here?

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
AgainstAllOdds,
Your points are true. I have seen this in others and myself, but many have to start somewhere.
I do have an interest in fashion, but am not targeting this market because it is "cool," but because I saw a market opportunity.

Designing, manufacturing, branding, marketing, selling: yes these are all important aspects of creating a successful clothing brand all of which are being developed, my question was targeted towards marketing. I have researched and watched videos, but nothing was of use. That is why I created a post to gather information to help me learn about this sector of development. Do you have any advice you can share with me here?

What market opportunity though? You’re telling me there’s a lack of luxury t shirts on the market? You listed several brands earlier.

What we are trying to show you is that you’re not providing any genuine value with your products. You’re swimming in a pond full of thousands of other “brands”. Do you think you’re even in the first 100 people to market a luxury T-shirt made with organic cotton through celebrity endorsement?

Is it possible? Sure. Probable? Not even close.

DVU

In Progress
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
Dude, STOP!

If you never ran a successful business, this is not the idea to do it.

The website is trash, and when I say trash I mean it looks like you deliberately tried to make it ugly.

Same goes with the shirts, putting random shit on shirts that makes 0 sense and pricing them 310$? Are you out of your mind?

If you think I'm being an a**hole, I'm not. I'm trying to save you some money.

Go read some books, find a need and solve it. Clothing isn't it.

DVU

In Progress
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
Wow, free business idea and a marketing plan. Thanks, dude, ill send you a couple of mil after I make billions.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
but am not targeting this market because it is "cool," but because I saw a market opportunity.

Do you have any advice you can share with me here?

The biggest piece of advice: Define whether your goal is specifically to have a successful clothing brand, or if your goal is to have a successful business that does not have to be clothing?

Starting a clothing brand, especially in the streetwear space, is a great learning opportunity, but extremely uphill battle with limited upside. You're competing against:
  • People willing to work for free (since they're passionate)
  • Established brands (if someone spends their budget on Supreme, they're less likely to buy from you)
  • Huge marketing budgets, branding budgets, expensive photo shoots, etc
  • Competitive supply chains (top companies aren't paying the price you're paying for product, leaving them with more margin to beat you on marketing)
  • Established distribution
  • Etc.
Then when you finally become the top brand, there's no telling if you'll end up like Bape and go bankrupt since your marketing budget eats all your profit.

Your expected payout is extremely low. You're better off starting something else if your goal is profit.

Stick to it if your goal is strictly clothing oriented.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Now, here's how I'd launch a clothing brand if I were to do it today:
  • Go to Manila, Ho Ch Minh, Medellin, and similar big cities in poor countries.
  • Tap into the streetwear scene there. Find brands that you like.
  • Offer the designers of these brands $3,000 upfront, and $5,000 a year for 80% of their company.
  • Have them design product, source product, produce product (it'll be a lot cheaper in their country), take pictures, make catalogs, etc.
  • Meanwhile you concentrate on distribution in the U.S. and branding it as an American company.
You'd be surprised at how many people in these countries have clothing brands that could compete with niche American ones. The only difference is that they're happy if they make $3,000 a year in Manila doing it. Give them a fair deal and suddenly you have something to build on top of.

Once you get some traction, start buying out other brands/acquiring the owners. Increase the salary to $10,000 a year for 100% of their designs. Scale the brand and team.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
1) Website is really crappy. Sorry to say, but even some 1990s Geocities sites look better than this.

2) Logo and clothing design looks amateurish.

3) Unless you've a giant celeb in the rap scene or pop culture endorsing your products (which is how those now-famous streetwear brands got their start), no one is going to pay $150 for these.

4) Personally, I feel there's a gap in the streetwear industry and that is good design. Looking at all the streetwear brands out there, their designs actually look the same as OP's, so I guess OP should not feel disheartened. Seems that streetwear clothing are all designed by rappers who know jack shit about aesthetics. The founder of Supreme didn't have connections, he wouldn't even have sold a single shirt.

5) You got the steps wrong. Currently, from your post, you're doing Make Products > Tack on a marketing plan.
It should be Think of Target Audience > Marketing plan for them > Make Products.

6) If you really must get into clothing, you need to market it from a different angle. E.g. Johnny Cupcakes (still don't understand who buys his stuff but I assume it's young folks who love weird and crazy shit), LifeIsGood and OldGuysRule.

Oh, another epic one I came across recently: Kjp.com. This guy is the epitome of marketing. These guys show that if you've the marketing chops, you can sell even your saliva.

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
Number One Exclusivity: Limited quantity supplied for a product creates exclusivity by decreasing the chance of someone else having one. Limited supply increases the uniqueness of the given product in contrast to mass production. None of the products are vastly available, creating a demand for them. There is a certain value to have something no one else has. Some consumers are willing to pay top dollar for this. The first pieces of 2-ICONIC's collection are only stocked to twelve.

First I want to commend you for actually starting something, that's the only way to learn and at your age, I am sure I wouldn't have. Ok, now on to the lessons:

As someone who has made and sold one of a kind and limited edition items for over 10 years, I will say this: In any industry, whether clothing or anything else, you have to offer more compelling reasons then you have so far. Luxury items don't spring up out of nowhere, most have legacy attached (think Hermes and LV).

Luxury is going to be better than organic cotton, better than "Chinese slaves didn't make it", better than a celebrity likes it, better than limited edition. Just because you could only afford to make 12 t-shirts, doesn't mean everyone is going to want your limited edition.

From an artist and luxury lover standpoint, your website is badly designed and does not say "luxury" to me.

Harsh lessons, bro, but take it from someone who has designed and handmade hundreds of things, you need a lot more of a lot of things to get anywhere. You need better design, a better product, and a better overall presentation.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
But, how do you obtain hype? By combining these three aspects:

Number One Exclusivity: Limited quantity supplied for a product creates exclusivity

Number Two Quality: My products are EarthPositive meaning they are produced exclusively from organic Indian cotton. The entire production process is controlled and certified in accordance with the latest version of GOTS. All products are labeled as Organic. The production of these products undergoes annual audits to comply with the FWF Code of Labour Practices in accordance with the International Labour Organisation’s conventions. My products are also made in manufacturing facilities powered by green renewable energy, from low-impact raw materials. The carbon footprint of my products by this is reduced by some 90%.

The material used to produce the garment are 100% combed organic cotton that has been brushed and triple ring spun leaving it durable and soft. 2-ICONIC's products are hand assembled, whether it is the application of the design or the accessories of the product: patches, embroidery, etc...

Number Three Popularity/Recognition:
The third step, what I am currently working on and seeking help for. Influential people bring light to many brands, most popularly Off-White.

So I'm not going to rag on your website because others have done so already but it is definitely not close to the level it needs to be.

To respond to your above points. You do not create exclusivity by not making as many. If you only make 12, how many people in the world will see anyone wearing your brand? Zero.

The funny thing about quality, you typed up 2 paragraphs about the quality of your clothing and not a single mention on your website about it. Why not?

The funny thing about quality is that your website has to convey it. You talk about instagram, "brands that use Instagram/Facebook adds have a feel of "cheapness" to them" and yet you don't even recognize a cheapness feel on your site.

Lastly, popularity... don't we all want this for our business? If only you could get a celebrity to wear your product... If that's your marketing strategy, good luck.

Kase

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 2, 2018
Dude, STOP!

If you never ran a successful business, this is not the idea to do it.

The website is trash, and when I say trash I mean it looks like you deliberately tried to make it ugly.

Same goes with the shirts, putting random sh*t on shirts that makes 0 sense and pricing them 310$? Are you out of your mind?

If you think I'm being an a**hole, I'm not. I'm trying to save you some money.

Go read some books, find a need and solve it. Clothing isn't it.
1) Website is really crappy. Sorry to say, but even some 1990s Geocities sites look better than this.

2) Logo and clothing design looks amateurish.

3) Unless you've a giant celeb in the rap scene or pop culture endorsing your products (which is how those now-famous streetwear brands got their start), no one is going to pay $150 for these.

4) Personally, I feel there's a gap in the streetwear industry and that is good design. Looking at all the streetwear brands out there, their designs actually look the same as OP's, so I guess OP should not feel disheartened. Seems that streetwear clothing are all designed by rappers who know jack sh*t about aesthetics. The founder of Supreme didn't have connections, he wouldn't even have sold a single shirt.

5) You got the steps wrong. Currently, from your post, you're doing Make Products > Tack on a marketing plan.
It should be Think of Target Audience > Marketing plan for them > Make Products.

6) If you really must get into clothing, you need to market it from a different angle. E.g. Johnny Cupcakes (still don't understand who buys his stuff but I assume it's young folks who love weird and crazy sh*t), LifeIsGood and OldGuysRule.

Oh, another epic one I came across recently: Kjp.com. This guy is the epitome of marketing. These guys show that if you've the marketing chops, you can sell even your saliva.

~DVU
Thank you for the advice! What would you suggest I change on the website?

~Xeon
Understandable, what would you suggest changing on the website? #5 is true, you are right, that is a mistake made by me. This is my first time around, all clothing companies start at the bottom then learn from there.
Thank you for the links of marketing examples, I appreciate it!

Kase

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 2, 2018
First I want to commend you for actually starting something, that's the only way to learn and at your age, I am sure I wouldn't have. Ok, now on to the lessons:

As someone who has made and sold one of a kind and limited edition items for over 10 years, I will say this: In any industry, whether clothing or anything else, you have to offer more compelling reasons then you have so far. Luxury items don't spring up out of nowhere, most have legacy attached (think Hermes and LV).

Luxury is going to be better than organic cotton, better than "Chinese slaves didn't make it", better than a celebrity likes it, better than limited edition. Just because you could only afford to make 12 t-shirts, doesn't mean everyone is going to want your limited edition.

From an artist and luxury lover standpoint, your website is badly designed and does not say "luxury" to me.

Harsh lessons, bro, but take it from someone who has designed and handmade hundreds of things, you need a lot more of a lot of things to get anywhere. You need better design, a better product, and a better overall presentation.

Thank you rollerskates!
I believe legacy is attached to some luxury brands, but there are newer brands that have sprung up without it.

Does this website say luxury to you?: HERON PRESTON

How can I improve my presentation and product?

Thank you again rollerskates

Kase

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 2, 2018
So I'm not going to rag on your website because others have done so already but it is definitely not close to the level it needs to be.

To respond to your above points. You do not create exclusivity by not making as many. If you only make 12, how many people in the world will see anyone wearing your brand? Zero.

The funny thing about quality, you typed up 2 paragraphs about the quality of your clothing and not a single mention on your website about it. Why not?

The funny thing about quality is that your website has to convey it. You talk about instagram, "brands that use Instagram/Facebook adds have a feel of "cheapness" to them" and yet you don't even recognize a cheapness feel on your site.

Lastly, popularity... don't we all want this for our business? If only you could get a celebrity to wear your product... If that's your marketing strategy, good luck.

Then how do you create exclusivity? My goal isn't for everyone to see my product on the first launch.

I didn't add the part about quality because I didn't find it on any other luxury brand websites new and old.

I appreciate your opinions and suggestions, thank you for taking to time to comment.

Kase

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 2, 2018
Now, here's how I'd launch a clothing brand if I were to do it today:
  • Go to Manila, Ho Ch Minh, Medellin, and similar big cities in poor countries.
  • Tap into the streetwear scene there. Find brands that you like.
  • Offer the designers of these brands $3,000 upfront, and $5,000 a year for 80% of their company.
  • Have them design product, source product, produce product (it'll be a lot cheaper in their country), take pictures, make catalogs, etc.
  • Meanwhile you concentrate on distribution in the U.S. and branding it as an American company.
You'd be surprised at how many people in these countries have clothing brands that could compete with niche American ones. The only difference is that they're happy if they make $3,000 a year in Manila doing it. Give them a fair deal and suddenly you have something to build on top of.

Once you get some traction, start buying out other brands/acquiring the owners. Increase the salary to $10,000 a year for 100% of their designs. Scale the brand and team.

AgainstAllOdds, this is genius! Making note of this now.
Wouldn't there be a language barrier with these countries?

Kase

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 2, 2018
The biggest piece of advice: Define whether your goal is specifically to have a successful clothing brand, or if your goal is to have a successful business that does not have to be clothing?

Starting a clothing brand, especially in the streetwear space, is a great learning opportunity, but extremely uphill battle with limited upside. You're competing against:
  • People willing to work for free (since they're passionate)
  • Established brands (if someone spends their budget on Supreme, they're less likely to buy from you)
  • Huge marketing budgets, branding budgets, expensive photo shoots, etc
  • Competitive supply chains (top companies aren't paying the price you're paying for product, leaving them with more margin to beat you on marketing)
  • Established distribution
  • Etc.
Then when you finally become the top brand, there's no telling if you'll end up like Bape and go bankrupt since your marketing budget eats all your profit.

Your expected payout is extremely low. You're better off starting something else if your goal is profit.

Stick to it if your goal is strictly clothing oriented.

Well, I suppose all businesses have the risk of becoming bankrupt? True, the clothing industry is an extremely competitive market, but all modern successful clothing brands had to go through the same thing?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Then how do you create exclusivity? My goal isn't for everyone to see my product on the first launch.

You have to make a product that people want first. And when there aren't enough to satisfy demand, it becomes exclusive.

Your goal should be for EVERYONE to see your product on the first launch.

What kind of a business says, I'm going to make product and then limit the number of viewers. Do you realize that even with 1000 units sold, chances are you won't ever see another person with the same shirt. I've sold over 150,000 dog collars and leashes. Guess how many I've seen on a dog by random chance in the USA? Zero. And I look every time I see someone walking their dog.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
AgainstAllOdds, this is genius! Making note of this now.
Wouldn't there be a language barrier with these countries?

I only know about Manila. Their language is like a mixture of whatever base language they speak (Tagalog is the language's name I believe) and English. Basically everyone in the Philippines speaks English. In fact English is one of the official languages of the Philippines, the other one being Filipino.

0VO

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jun 8, 2016
Ontario
AgainstAllOdds hit it pretty well on the head for most general cases of "I have a fashion brand".

OP, if you are SERIOUS about your venture then I would highly recommend researching into Damon Dash (he built RocaWear) and he has a wealth of knowledge in this area.

If you have a following and create branding around that it's one thing. But real fashion, design, cut and sew, fabrics, colours... that's what Louis V (and other big names do). They're in high end Magazines like Vogue ... that's like Lifestyle Marketing... You can do the mechanics of how you do that. ($$$$$$$)

They have loss leader products. They Lose a LOT of money marketing and giving away products, and getting products into retail, and in magazines, and on yatche's and high end fashion shows, and onto "popular" bodies (celebrities).

OP what you describe with exclusivity can be quite the double edged sword. It's easy to say you're going to create an exclusive product. But what happens if you're truly exclusive product becomes popular and now everyone is wearing it..... it becomes un-exclusive.

What I am seeing a lot of successful people do is "Collaboration" Projects with other brands which might be an easier way to get into the industry without having to worry about all the logistics. (The Rock x Under Armour , GaryVaynerchuck x K Swiss , Kanye West x Adidas , etc.).

Chris25

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
380%
Aug 29, 2018
Europe
Whoa everyone just decided to brush away constructive criticism and jumped straight to dream crushing :clench:

I'd say the website does need some more work but I can see the millennial/urban style you're going for. If millennials are the target audience, it so happens that not everything has to look clean and super professional. For example, look at the cover of one of the most anticipated rap albums this year.

lil-uzi-vert-eternal-atake.jpg

- Polish the footer
- Add quality info/page
- Add brand mission, vision and purpose
- Add more product info on individual product pages
- Add a call to action ( ex. View collection, Find Out More, See Latest )
- Add Privacy Policy and Terms Of Service
- Consider putting an lower initial price ( SALE )
- Improve the logo a bit

SOCIAL:
- Start posting every day. You will need to build up a gallery and a following.
- Social proof is much needed if you want to sell luxury products.
- You can send something for free to influencers and maybe they will decide to wear it if they think its cool.
- Run brand awareness ads after you have a gallery and a good website. ( not product ads )
- Run product ads later on, to the followers you gained from the previous awareness campaigns and other organic followers.

PRODUCT:
- I don't know if adding 2018 on the hoodies is a great idea. Especially if its about to end.
- Are you sure about the copyrights of your designs?
- Are your prices realistically set?

That is all i can think of at the moment. It is just my opinion. As someone who enjoys urban clothing I can say that you have the potential to create a cool brand ( maybe not luxury, at least for the starter collections ).

Don't rush it, and don't chase big profit margins with your first products. Read up on UX material or books and start slowly improving things. Good Luck!

Last edited:

Kase

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 2, 2018
AgainstAllOdds hit it pretty well on the head for most general cases of "I have a fashion brand".

OP, if you are SERIOUS about your venture then I would highly recommend researching into Damon Dash (he built RocaWear) and he has a wealth of knowledge in this area.

If you have a following and create branding around that it's one thing. But real fashion, design, cut and sew, fabrics, colours... that's what Louis V (and other big names do). They're in high end Magazines like Vogue ... that's like Lifestyle Marketing... You can do the mechanics of how you do that. ($$$$$$$)

They have loss leader products. They Lose a LOT of money marketing and giving away products, and getting products into retail, and in magazines, and on yatche's and high end fashion shows, and onto "popular" bodies (celebrities).

OP what you describe with exclusivity can be quite the double edged sword. It's easy to say you're going to create an exclusive product. But what happens if you're truly exclusive product becomes popular and now everyone is wearing it..... it becomes un-exclusive.

What I am seeing a lot of successful people do is "Collaboration" Projects with other brands which might be an easier way to get into the industry without having to worry about all the logistics. (The Rock x Under Armour , GaryVaynerchuck x K Swiss , Kanye West x Adidas , etc.).

I agree with you. A lot of designers nowadays are doing collaborations. It would be a great way to get off the ground, but I have to build up some rep if I want to pursue that path.

Thank you!

Kase

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 2, 2018
Whoa everyone just decided to brush away constructive criticism and jumped straight to dream crushing :clench:

I'd say the website does need some more work but I can see the millennial/urban style you're going for. If millennials are the target audience, it so happens that not everything has to look clean and super professional. For example, look at the cover of one of the most anticipated rap albums this year.

lil-uzi-vert-eternal-atake.jpg

- Polish the footer
- Add quality info/page
- Add brand mission, vision and purpose
- Add more product info on individual product pages
- Add a call to action ( ex. View collection, Find Out More, See Latest )
- Add Privacy Policy and Terms Of Service
- Consider putting an lower initial price ( SALE )
- Improve the logo a bit

SOCIAL:
- Start posting every day. You will need to build up a gallery and a following.
- Social proof is much needed if you want to sell luxury products.
- You can send something for free to influencers and maybe they will decide to wear it if they think its cool.
- Run brand awareness ads after you have a gallery and a good website. ( not product ads )
- Run product ads later on, to the followers you gained from the previous awareness campaigns and other organic followers.

PRODUCT:
- I don't know if adding 2018 on the hoodies is a great idea. Especially if its about to end.
- Are you sure about the copyrights of your designs?
- Are your prices realistically set?

That is all i can think of at the moment. It is just my opinion. As someone who enjoys urban clothing I can say that you have the potential to create a cool brand ( maybe not luxury, at least for the starter collections ).

Don't rush it, and don't chase big profit margins with your first products. Read up on UX material or books and start slowly improving things. Good Luck!

Haha, it's ok, I just need to improve my craft.

I am targeting younger generations. In terms of fashion, art, and design it is popular among younger generations to be interested in different looking designs whether it's abstract/retro etc... Personally, different designs stick out and set themselves apart from all the others, just like Lil Uzi's album cover.

What changes would you suggest me to make to the logo and footer?

How can I bring people to my media should a look into paid promotions?
What are brand awareness ads?

The images I am using are in the public domain. Should I bother with trademarking designs and logo before release? What is UX material?

"Add more product info on individual product pages," what sort of info should I add to my products that I do not have already?

Thank you Chris25 for your message, very motivational. I will start imputing and working on the suggestions you made.

Last edited:

Chris25

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
380%
Aug 29, 2018
Europe
What changes would you suggest me to make to the logo and footer?
You must insert the Privacy Policy and Terms of Service in the footer and organize everything a bit better so it looks nicer visually. As for the logo, I don't think the barb wire blends in nicely with the letters. The name gets lost and it's hard to even read. The name should be the main element, and the barb wire should be the supporting element. Again this is just in my opinion.

How can I bring people to my media should a look into paid promotions?
What are brand awareness ads?

Brand awareness ads are paid promotions that will expose your brand to new people. You're not selling anything through them. They are just there to get peoples attention. Something in the lines of people wearing your clothes and doing something random/cool. Another example would be cool graphics with your logo somewhere in them. You're not pushing your products but you're making people aware of them. Maybe they like the picture, they check out your account and follow you. They can become buyers later on.

You can do this organically by using hashtags and liking, commenting and following other accounts but it will take much longer.

You can do a combination of both paid and organic reach.

The images I am using are in the public domain. Should I bother with trademarking designs and logo before release? What is UX material?
I am not very familiar with specific trademarking rules.

UX is short for User eXperience. Get some books or read articles on e-commerce UX design. You can learn how to design your website and product pages that will guide the user to purchase something.

"Add more product info on individual product pages," what sort of info should I add to my products that I do not have already?
You have no info at all and no size guide. Check out this Kenzo sweatshirt description.

A classic wardrobe piece, this sweatshirt Tiger KENZO is made elegant with its sleek lines and refined finishes. Versatile, it enhances any outfit with its smart yet sporty style. For a casual chic look, wear it with graphic printed trousers and black boots.

Long-sleeved sweatshirt.
Round neck.
Tiger embroidered on the front.
Ribbed collar, cuffs and hem.
100% cotton.
Size Guide (link to size guide table with detailed info on sizes)

Last edited:

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
Does this website say luxury to you?: HERON PRESTON

EGADS! No. That purple and orangey red header is ghastly. I should tell you I am middle aged and preppy and I wear a lot of Ralph Lauren and I don't like any clothing with writing on it. I would never wear a hoodie (although I admit to owing one thin zip up one I wear to physical therapy), especially one with writing on it. Price doesn't make luxury.

More than anything I would say firstly design, and secondly, materials. A plain black v neck non-organic cotton t-shirt is going to look a lot more like luxury than an organic cotton crew neck with any design on it, regardless of price.

Luxury isn't what high spending rappers would wear.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
IMO, just forget about the luxury part and just focus on the streetwear part if you're adamant on going this route.
Doing luxury + streetwear is basically fighting two gigantic world wars at the same time at this point.

Also, if you want to build nice, beautiful websites, learning from those streetwear websites like that Heron Preston site, is a bad idea. Most streetwear labels have ugly clothing designs and ugly site designs. Not sure if they deliberately designed it that way, but they can all get away with it because they already have great connections (read: celeb backing).

One thing I realize about the whole underground streetwear culture niche, is that it's hard to succeed unless you've "street cred". Meaning you're a rapper / some kind of celeb / grew up in the "hood".
If you hang around enough on the Reddit /streetwear forum, you'll start to notice a pattern in terms of demographics.

Put it in a more obvious way, if you're a preppy white-collar executive working at a 9-to-5 job who goes home for dinner with his family every day, well, you likely lack the "street cred" that these streetwear brands have.

0VO

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jun 8, 2016
Ontario
I looked over your post again. I have some suggestions, again they're only my opinions. As always, Easy to say, harder to implement.

I see you feel Insta/FB ads are only for cheaper products/feel. A lot of people are directing traffic with those channels to High Ticket 4/5-figure-funnels.
On that same note, most "luxury" brands don't advertise...to clarify...They're seen everywhere (selectively) but they rarely advertise in the traditional sense.

You mentioned not wanting to do influencer marketing because others brands may be doing the same thing. Don't worry about what others are doing. Besides, if a lot of people are doing it maybe it's working?

"Poppington" is Damon Dash's new umbrella brand. He has a website for it. Maybe you can get some inspiration from it. Notice how it's really simple, really clean, and shows quality without saying "hey, we are quality, we are luxury".

You can no compete solely on price alone. Be it pushing heavy prices or barrelling down low prices.

You mentioned Limited Production on your site. That is great for people who have high demand to quickly sell out, artists who sell "limited edition merchandise" after concerts for example. As a new brand you might want to take as many sales as you can. Do you have any orders or interest yet?

Try to think about where you target audience hangs. See if you can sponor events or brands in that area. See if you can host parties, get your brand visible there. Go to clubs? I don't know where your audience hangs. Hope you get the idea! :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.