The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How The Fastlane Saved My Life

D

DeletedUser394

I know this is quite long, but it is really important to me, and would hope that you all read it. This is my life story as of yet. This is my first time I'm sharing 100% of it with you. You might be surprised about how I got to be here.

I realize now, as I write this, that when I do succeed, my life story should and probably will be a movie.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:
D

DeletedUser394

12-15 years old

Last edited by a moderator:

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Ryan I have read this and my heart breaks for you. I teach 10-11 year old kids just like you everyday. It burdens me no end to think that some of my kids are going through this same thing as I type. I am sorry you went through all this but there is a good side.

You lived. You are here. I believe there are reasons for most things happening. I do believe you are where you are now for a reason. I do believe you survived all those tough experiences for a reason. I don't know those reasons and it may be a while for you to find out what they are as well.

Ryan you have value and you have a future. It's your life to live. You can choose to make your experiences help you be a better person or you can choose to let them tear you down. I have seen the same life experiences do both, build up one person and tear down another. Try not to carry any bitterness, it will only hurt you.

I wish you well my friend. PM me if you ever need to talk.:cheers:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Very powerful story and my friend, trust me, it will serve you well in the future. You have found an incredible passion that most people never find for their entire life. As I can see, this passion is already fueling your motivation to make the best out of your life. Yes, in times of hell is the times when we grow stronger. Speed+

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Haha, no way? I wrote my 27 Years of Reflection today... you kinda remind me of myself.

Awesome! Stay with the hustle!

D

DeletedUser394

Thanks for everyone's replies and speed :)

At no point will I accept to make excuses for where I am today, or what I've done in the past. In a bizarre way, I'm glad to have gone through what I've went through, and met the people I've met along the way. I would never have made it here otherwise.

These minute actions that seem to not have any value turn out to make the biggest differences.

I still live with my mother (the one in the story), but she's okay now. I know deep down she really cares about me. She's mentioned it before. It's my "fake dad" that I hate. But I don't blame him either. I hate him, but in a strange undefinable way, I'm happy that he was the SOB that he is.

At the very least, it showed me what NOT to be (as a man in general). Cowards make excuses like "I don't know any better, because my father was the same so I'm just acting the same way he did". That's BS. If anything, by not having a father to look up to I know more!

In a way, it was an advantage, because as stupid as this sounds...I got to pick my fathers! and in a sense I've had hundreds. Be it teachers I've looked up to, athletes, and even most of the men on this forum.

Right now, the only thing I'm truly pissed about is that the law says I'm still a child :smxF:

I'm lucky I never got into alcohol or drugs. I think it was my shear willpower that pushed me away from that. (Drugs, alcohol, wine, weed...I'll never try any of them.)

Thanks again everyone :yourock:

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
I'm lucky I never got into alcohol or drugs. I think it was my shear willpower that pushed me away from that. (Drugs, alcohol, wine, weed...I'll never try any of them.)

That's GREAT! It has to be tough to do that anymore, especially with what you had to deal with. I never did the drugs, cause I was afraid my dad would put me into a blender for 5 minutes, on high. By I drank my eyes out for many years. Haven't touched it in 20 years now.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Great story. Well not great in the things that happened but very good at really articulating. My story is almost opposite. Was really spoiled as a kid, things were almost brought to me on a silver plate. Well it was like that until the day I turned 18. Ok well it was the day after. My parents bought me a tent and pair of LL Bean hiking boots and kicked me out of the house.

I went from preppy captain of the soccer and ski team to grunge. I grew my hair out barely ever shaved or showered. I hiked just about every hiking trail in Northern New England. Slept on friend's floors for years, didn't have but $10 to my name. I bummed off everyone for everything.

My parents gave me everything and then took it away.

Between my 18th and 22nd birthday is one large blur. I never did hard drugs but I smoked a lot of weed, drank a lot of beer, followed friends to parties and to concerts. Went to a lot of tailgate parties out in the middle of nowhere... doing absolutely nothing with my life. It was such a waste. It was fun for a while but there were 3 or 4 years there that I can't ever get back. All lost in a one big foggy mess. I dont' even remember the girlfriends I had cause I was baked a lot of the time.

Not trying to derail the thread but you definitely have a story to tell. How's the cat today?? Cat's sometimes are not so forgiving. :smx2:

D

DeletedUser394

Not trying to derail the thread but you definitely have a story to tell. How's the cat today?? Cat's sometimes are not so forgiving. :smx2:

He's really fat, and that is my fault. What I learned from that = Follow through on commitments. Otherwise he's happy, and enjoys sleeping on my head.

I now have 8 cats.. I'm also allergic to cats... Confusing story, but that's for another day. All of the cats except the first one, we saved from the street.

I couldn't even take care of my cats, let alone myself. Now I take care of them and myself, and anyone else that I can :smug2:

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Little similar to my story but I had it easier I think ( divorce of parents just like you but I can say my father is ok even though not perfect).

Thanx for sharing buddy! Wasn't real easy I guess! But it just proves you got what it takes! ;)

Always there if you need something and I can help;)
Adrijus

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
Wow. I think it's psychologically powerful for you to be able to share your story, vulnerabilities and all. Many people try to shove all that bad stuff away. You chose the better path: get it all out there and learn to deal with it. Thanks for sharing.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
If your ever in CT let me know and I'll buy you dinner and we can talk about business. I'm in real estate development, I don't know if I can help you but PM me if you ever think I can.

I congradulate you in overcoming all of what you went through. Your trying to improce yourself and I respect you for that. I look forward to you posting pictures of the crazy expensive exotic car your business bought for you on this site.:fastlane:

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
He's really fat, and that is my fault. What I learned from that = Follow through on commitments. Otherwise he's happy, and enjoys sleeping on my head.

I now have 8 cats.. I'm also allergic to cats... Confusing story, but that's for another day. All of the cats except the first one, we saved from the street.

I couldn't even take care of my cats, let alone myself. Now I take care of them and myself, and anyone else that I can :smug2:

What are your cats names? Especially the first one. Have owned many myself - almost all rescued.

How are you able to pay for school?

Jesus, Ryan.................your story breaks hearts.:chatter:

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Wow, Ryan... That's a story. I'm glad to hear you've been able to make it through all that and reach the point you're at today -- where you're still miles ahead of kids who've been given everything.

Thanks for sharing; I know you'll serve as an inspiration for many in the future. Stay focused, and stay motivated, man... Good luck!

D

DeletedUser394

What are your cats names? Especially the first one. Have owned many myself - almost all rescued.

How are you able to pay for school?

Jesus, Ryan.................your story breaks hearts.:chatter:

Charly (first one), Thumbs, Lucy, Cashmere, Precious, Simba, Rusty, and Bubs.

Oh, in the last two years my mom has a decent job, she was able to purchase a starter home and a new car.

When I was 15-16 I made about $22,000 in the stock market (I think that was my first post ever here), and we used it to pay off debt.

Also, college here is free...the government pays for every student.

I personally have around $5000 as starting funds for my business ventures.

So life is 1000x better now :)

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey

:iagree: Not going to waste my time, health, or money on any of that. What calms me down and just get things off my mind is a good book or music.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
:iagree: Not going to waste my time, health, or money on any of that. What calms me down and just get things off my mind is a good book or music.

I have to say.........That I'm very impressed with both you and Ryan............Wish more young..uns were like you two. While I stayed away from the drugs & booze.......
My weakness was girls...........There's always something .......out there to get you.:eusa_clap:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My weakness was girls...........

Mine too, except, my "was" is still an "is" ... ha ha. Bad relationships (regardless of gender) can be very dangerous to our personal goals.

Sorry Ryan for the thread hijack, continue onward!!!

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
Mine too, except, my "was" is still an "is" ... ha ha. Bad relationships (regardless of gender) can be very dangerous to our personal goals.

Sorry Ryan for the thread hijack, continue onward!!!

Do you drive the orange car on dates? :smxF:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.