The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Welcome to The Fastlane Entrepreneur Forum.

Register Log in
  • The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 48 hours.

How Many Competitors Needed?

cjac9chris

New Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
May 15, 2018
San Antonio, TX
www.chrisjacobie.com
I've got an idea for a business... lead generation for studio musicians and music producers.

There is one big competitor. They have a few negative reviews so there's room to do it better. Is it a red flag that there's only one competitor?

Is there any way to know if this competitor is thriving or dying?

Thanks!

Chris

404profound

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 27, 2017
Desert of Desertion
I've got an idea for a business... lead generation for studio musicians and music producers.

There is one big competitor. They have a few negative reviews so there's room to do it better. Is it a red flag that there's only one competitor?

Thanks!

Chris
How long have they been around? If they've been around for a while it means they are sustainable because of consistent demand.

If they are pretty new, it may not mean it's not sustainable, but there's just less certainty.

Anyway, given that you've found kinks in their armor it sounds to me like an improvement opportunity (especially if you get into a pricing war and do something way better than them that matters to customers).

404profound

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 27, 2017
Desert of Desertion
Founded in 2012.
Yea, so they've got a solid 6 years of life. It wouldn't surprise me if there are other players you just haven't found. But that fact that you haven't found them means they are probably niche players. So could behoove you to niche down and serve a part of the market way better than the big boys are. But I'm not sure what your strategy is.

cjac9chris

New Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
May 15, 2018
San Antonio, TX
www.chrisjacobie.com
Yea, so they've got a solid 6 years of life. It wouldn't surprise me if there are other players you just haven't found. But that fact that you haven't found them means they are probably niche players. So could behoove you to niche down and serve a part of the market way better than the big boys are. But I'm not sure what your strategy is.
There are niched players too but they are less of a lead generation model and more of a booking or even done for you model.

That approach seems like it would solve the problems that the big company has but...

...it seems like it becomes less scalable the closer to DFY it gets.

Will continue doing my research and crunching the numbers.

Thanks!

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kak

Capitalist Swine
Speedway Pass
FASTLANE INSIDER
LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Jan 23, 2011

Thanks!

Chris
Good find... The only thing better than one competitor is zero competitors.

Kak

Capitalist Swine
Speedway Pass
FASTLANE INSIDER
LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Jan 23, 2011
That would spook me. Zero competitors is usually a sign that there’s not a market for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Search Forum