The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How Many Competitors Needed?

cjac9chris

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
May 15, 2018
San Antonio, TX
I've got an idea for a business... lead generation for studio musicians and music producers.

There is one big competitor. They have a few negative reviews so there's room to do it better. Is it a red flag that there's only one competitor?

Is there any way to know if this competitor is thriving or dying?

Thanks!

Chris

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted50669

I've got an idea for a business... lead generation for studio musicians and music producers.

There is one big competitor. They have a few negative reviews so there's room to do it better. Is it a red flag that there's only one competitor?

Thanks!

Chris

How long have they been around? If they've been around for a while it means they are sustainable because of consistent demand.

If they are pretty new, it may not mean it's not sustainable, but there's just less certainty.

Anyway, given that you've found kinks in their armor it sounds to me like an improvement opportunity (especially if you get into a pricing war and do something way better than them that matters to customers).

cjac9chris

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
May 15, 2018
San Antonio, TX
How long have they been around? If they've been around for a while it means they are sustainable because of consistent demand.

If they are pretty new, it may not mean it's not sustainable, but there's just less certainty.

Founded in 2012.

D

Deleted50669

Founded in 2012.
Yea, so they've got a solid 6 years of life. It wouldn't surprise me if there are other players you just haven't found. But that fact that you haven't found them means they are probably niche players. So could behoove you to niche down and serve a part of the market way better than the big boys are. But I'm not sure what your strategy is.

cjac9chris

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
May 15, 2018
San Antonio, TX
Yea, so they've got a solid 6 years of life. It wouldn't surprise me if there are other players you just haven't found. But that fact that you haven't found them means they are probably niche players. So could behoove you to niche down and serve a part of the market way better than the big boys are. But I'm not sure what your strategy is.

There are niched players too but they are less of a lead generation model and more of a booking or even done for you model.

That approach seems like it would solve the problems that the big company has but...

...it seems like it becomes less scalable the closer to DFY it gets.

Will continue doing my research and crunching the numbers.

Thanks!

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Thanks!

Chris

Good find... The only thing better than one competitor is zero competitors.

cjac9chris

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
May 15, 2018
San Antonio, TX
Good find... The only thing better than one competitor is zero competitors.

That would spook me. Zero competitors is usually a sign that there’s not a market for it.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
That would spook me. Zero competitors is usually a sign that there’s not a market for it.

OK.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.