• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

How important is a brand story?

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by Paul David, May 16, 2019.

1. Paul David

Paul David Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,958
    I’m in the process of adding content to my new website whilst waiting for our products to finish production.

My products will be sold at a premium price compared to others; how important is creating a brand story, how personal should be it and is it imperative I add content as to why my products are high quality.

An example I found was here: brummelli.com
    in the about us and our craft page. (This is different niche to us).

I’ve been on fiver and the best writers are charging around £250 for creating a brand story.

Thanks
    Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. PizzaOnTheRoof

PizzaOnTheRoof 1% Better Every Day Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,831
    Does a brand story directly increase sales or is it fluff?

I would get the first few sales on the books before worrying about content and a brand story.

SimonB, Xeon and astr0 like this.
  3. astr0

astr0 Grinding Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,633
    Personally, I probably haven't read any brand story on the web site, except, maybe some alcohol brands (just of curiosity, not buying). I do like hearing cool brand stories on the radio, but they haven't affected my buying decisions and I don't even remember the brand names behind so no contribution to building a name. But that's only me.

The strong story definitely won't hurt, but maybe track how many visitors are going to the page where you want to put that story? Then, assuming it would add at least something to conversions, you'll have an idea if it's worth it.

Xeon likes this.
  4. rpeck90

rpeck90 Silver Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,391
    If you're starting it from fresh, a brand story doesn't matter. What matters is having a product and drumming up people who're interested in paying for it. The whole "about us" thing is basically an after-thought to that process.

What you need is a good offer, that differentiates your product/process/company from everyone else. This is what I believe you're trying to get at. You'd do well to look at this post: Unique Selling Propositions: USP Formulation Guide w/ Examples

5. Logomet

Logomet Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $981
    Just put classic ''About'' page that's written by you (let someone check grammar if you're bad in it).

Build your brand and the story will write itself.

Just make sure you're doing the best you can on all aspects of your company.

Don't use sites life Fiverr. If you don't have a budget for professional, search forums and hire someone directly. You can start from Reddit.

Don't go for a cheap logo, save that money until you can hire for a real logo development. Use free font from Google Fonts as your logotype. If Instagram did it, you can do it too.

If you hire someone directly, you can try to lower his/her prices by offering constant monthly payments (you will need...ads, banners, social media content, etc.).

Small advice...if you're hiring someone, don't try to fish for the prices. Decide what's your budget and look for the best guy that money can buy.

6. Paul David

Rep Bank:
    $4,958
    Thanks for your reply. I have a logo. I was thinking more about writing content as to why the brand came about and reasons as to why they should buy more products when they cost twice as much as most competitors.

Logomet likes this.
  7. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $187,523
    Go through the free videos at www.storybrand.com. I thought they were well done and have just bought the book.

If you write an About page then try to talk about them (your customers) more than yourself. Visitors don’t really want to know about You, only what you can do for them. (WiiFM ... What’s in it For Me?).

As others have hinted at, you don’t *need* a brand story, you need sales/customers.

Speaking for myself, I still don’t have a website to speak of, and get enquiries every single week.

8. Logomet

Logomet Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $981
    Yea I understand that, but I still wouldnt do it as a story.

You can explain your brand through branding and marketing. You can design your website that will explain customers what they are buying.

Puting story as a long text wont help that much. We live in time of scrolling, people dont have too much time for reading long texts.

Sheens and Xeon like this.
  9. 1step

1step Gold Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $9,621
    I think it's highly likely that most of the people commenting haven't started a premium brand based on their responses.

In the long run that $250 is nothing for a crafted high quality brand story.
    $250 is especially nothing if you are selling a premium item that can be compared to the shoes that you have compared it to.

My main brand is 2-4x as expensive as some others, we use our story not only in story form but in bullets and short copy form in different parts of our site. It is true that not everyone will ready your story but some people will read it all and some will skim it, making the content digestible for the various ways people read is very important.

Additionally, I want to emphasize the importance of using the story via email, product packaging, product inserts, etc. To ensure that in some way you are communicating your key story/brand points to your customer.

The story could move the customer closer to purchasing but in addition to that AFTER they buy they will have snippets of the story that they can pass on to friends to help with your word of mouth marketing. When someone sees your customers new (shoes in the example you linked to) they may ask about them and then the customer having skimmed your packaging, story, emails, inserts can tell them some key points (which you have already crafted for them) about why they are awesome

10. AllenCrawley

AllenCrawley Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $75,305
    ^^^ This x1000! I really can't add anything else to what @1step has. Some books that have helped us are Fascinate, Story Brand 2.0, Building a Story Brand, Brand Seduction, and Lingo.

Mutant, Sheens, B_Mac and 5 others like this.
  11. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $187,523
    The audio of “The Micro-Script Rules” was good too.

Xeon likes this.
  12. minivanman

minivanman Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $14,818
    Well, I was going to give out my results in a few months but I was playing around with this. I made up a few stories and would leave them up on the ABOUT page...... just to see if I could see the difference and I'll be dang, I'm not sure if it's by accident or not but I put my real story on there and it seems to get the most action. I tried making up all kinds of stories.... maybe I wasn't good at making them up. lol But I did seem to see a difference.

Personally, I do read them a lot of the time. I just like to know how people got their start. Sometimes an About Us page is not really 'ABOUT' us.... sometimes people use that as kind of a sales page. When people do that, it doesn't stop me from buying from them and I haven't seen a story that made me buy or not buy from someone..... some people just like knowing what type of person they are dealing with. I can't say if the story made my inquires go up or not but it sure seemed to; depending on what story I had up.

13. Xeon

Xeon All Cars Kneel Before Pagani. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,630
    Below are all brands with a great brand story and marketing angle which I've compiled for my own personal analysis in the last few months. Google them, study them and see how they stand apart from their competition:

Johnny Cupcakes
    Jadelynn Brooke
    Life Clothing Co
    Vineyard Vines
    Soul Cycle
    Swell Bottles
    Method
    MVMT
    Pura Vida
    Olly.com
    Cuffed By Nano
    Bippy
    Funboy
    HstlMade
    FabFitFun
    Evolutionofsmooth.com
    Hello-products.com
    Fannipac
    Black Rifle Coffee Company
    Happy Swim Suits
    ZaharaSwim

14. Stargazer

Stargazer Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,423
    If you have a genuine story you don't need someone who does not know it to knock one up for you.

So what is your story?

Dan

Jaden Jones and Xeon like this.
  15. MHP368

MHP368 the man, the myth, the Pseudo-Apollodorus Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,461
    Really important.

People buy from people.

For a premium price I expect a little human connection , if I just want a doodad ill buy your competitors cheaper doohicky.

Sell my human side , feed my need for emotional connection.

businessbaybee and Xeon like this.
  16. Paul David

Rep Bank:
    $4,958
    That’s just it I don’t have a genuine story. I’m not the first to market. I haven’t re-invented the wheel. I’m not living in a fashion designer city like London, Milan, Paris etc.

Stargazer likes this.
  17. Jaden Jones

Jaden Jones Igloo Builder Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,402
    Everyone has a story, it doesn't always need to be directly related to what your selling

Xeon and astr0 like this.
  18. Stargazer

Stargazer Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,423
    OK.

Have you been to a pub lately and looked at the menu?

Where is the normal food? Everything is Triple cooked this and 28 day matured that.

The pub could be in Scunthorpe (no offence to Scunthorpe :) ) never mind Kensington & Chelsea.

My point is this. When you list the products you can spin the value into the product description.

Look at this twaddle for a shirt.

Women's Shirts | Zip & High Neck Shirts | Holland Cooper

Dan

Xeon and 1step like this.
  19. Paul David

Rep Bank:
    $4,958
    Yes this is exactly what I’m planning to do. And one of the main reasons why I was going to pay £250 to a brand story creator who’s got excellent reviews

Xeon likes this.
  20. Stargazer

Rep Bank:
    $1,423
    What are you going to be selling? Some sort of clothing I guess.

Is it commissioned by you or a brand you are bringing to UK or something else?

Dan

Xeon likes this.
  21. Paul David

Rep Bank:
    $4,958
    It's a textile product and yes i've created a brand.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.