The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How I test my startup ideas with landing pages

Idea threads

EntrepreNerd

Contributor
Aug 1, 2020
Pittsburgh
Everyone is super nervous to talk about their startup idea, often out of fear that someone might steal it.

However, any time I've ever interviewed a successful entrepreneur I've asked them what the first step to building their business was, and they always tell me they told EVERYONE they knew about their idea to get feedback.

Feedback is unbelievably important in the idea stage, and there's no simpler way to test and prove out your startup idea than by tossing up a quick landing page.
Personally, I use a tool called Carrd - it has limited functionality but it's the cheapest I could find to get started with. When I have a new idea, I find a simple showcase template on carrd, toss in a few sentences about the features I expect the product would have, and most importantly, what problem it would solve.

Then, I create a button on the bottom of the page with a price tag near it. For instance, let's pretend I built a page selling a new google chrome extension that saves you time - I have a button that says "download" with "Buy Now for $1!" above it.

Since this is just a test, the actual button simply leads to a form your potential customers can fill out. You could use Google Forms, SurveyMonkey, doesn't matter. I use Typeform - I ask for the individual's email, and ask them a few questions about what features they're most excited about. And, most importantly, the intro to the form states something like "Hey, I'm super duper glad you're interested in my chrome extension - It's not ready yet, but I would love to get some information from you for when I finish building it!"

Nobody buys anything. I don't make any false promises. But, anyone that fills out that form clicked that price-tagged button - and if they clicked that, I can sort of assume they were planning on paying whatever amount I labeled.

There's no guarantee, but now I have their email, and I can follow up with them later if I manage to gather enough resources to build the startup.

This process takes maybe an hour once you've done it - and you get a ton of feedback on the idea immediately. If you get 100 people to go to your landing page and not a single one clicks on that button, maybe your price is too high - or maybe nobody wants your theoretical product.

But you were able to figure that out without building a thing or taking on any risk at all. You could test a few ideas every week, and if one of them does really well, and you get a ton of clicks and form submissions, then you have a list of future customers you can contact anytime.

If you launch a Kickstarter campaign, you could email that whole list. If you release the product, you can get your first sales that way. You can ask them to follow you on social media for future stuff - anything you want.

This is an underrated validation technique when it comes to building startups. Everyone assumes you have to quit your job and make a bit leap, but why not do this little test first to see if people actually care? It's a lot safer.

I actually hosted a little live stream on how to build these kinds of pages, if you're interested.

P.S. There are plenty of ways to drive traffic to a website, but none of them are easy. You will run into issues there. Personally, I've had a bit of success with asking for advice on places like Facebook groups and running Facebook ads to the page itself.
Here's a guide I wrote to promoting around the internet, and here's another guide to running ads.

Get experimenting! :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
There are the two different theories: telling and remaining silent.
Last autumn I had an idea, which I told my niche s people to get feedback and help.
I got some feedback and no help.
Maybe no connection, but the execution was quite good and not by me.
And that thing was quite difficult to produce.
My present project isn’t.

I don think, its allways the good choice to tell everyone.

peterb0yd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 30, 2019
Excellent post. Most won't want to do this because of how unsexy it is. I've done it and it's a fantastic way to get feedback about your message.

But here's the kicker, your messaging probably sucks the first time you draft a landing page.

I've found that doing customer discovery interviews should always come before building any marketing assets (landing page, sales letter, etc). The interviews should be with strangers in the market, not friends (very important).

If you ask the right questions in the discovery interviews, you'll be validating the idea AND improving the messaging at the same time. Once you have solid feedback, then build the landing page and drive traffic. Then do it again, and again.

It's highly unlikely that your first draft website is going to hit bullseye unless you are the market or you know the market extremely well.

If someone builds the page and pays for traffic but doesn't see any results, it might lead them to give up on an idea that could have otherwise been solid if only they had improved the messaging through research.

df1992

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
May 26, 2020
London
Great thread thanks!

I'm just about to launch a landing page to validate an idea and I really love your button idea which punches out to a survey.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
Unless you are telling your idea to Elon Musk or UBER CEO , most likely the person you are talking with have no enough technical or business skills to quickly get your idea and convert it to profitable business.
I have first hand experience on that , in fact people who find it interesting will ask you if you need partners in your business or money to get some share in your future business.
Now this only apply for software business, in less to other simpler ideas

peterb0yd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 30, 2019
LinkedIn is the best. Otherwise, any social media platform that allows DMs can be used.

Athena

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Sep 22, 2019
On the survey section have a reward system so customers can add email addresses of friends.

D

Deleted82046

Everyone is super nervous to talk about their startup idea, often out of fear that someone might steal it.

However, any time I've ever interviewed a successful entrepreneur I've asked them what the first step to building their business was, and they always tell me they told EVERYONE they knew about their idea to get feedback.

Feedback is unbelievably important in the idea stage, and there's no simpler way to test and prove out your startup idea than by tossing up a quick landing page.
Personally, I use a tool called Carrd - it has limited functionality but it's the cheapest I could find to get started with. When I have a new idea, I find a simple showcase template on carrd, toss in a few sentences about the features I expect the product would have, and most importantly, what problem it would solve.

Then, I create a button on the bottom of the page with a price tag near it. For instance, let's pretend I built a page selling a new google chrome extension that saves you time - I have a button that says "download" with "Buy Now for $1!" above it.

Since this is just a test, the actual button simply leads to a form your potential customers can fill out. You could use Google Forms, SurveyMonkey, doesn't matter. I use Typeform - I ask for the individual's email, and ask them a few questions about what features they're most excited about. And, most importantly, the intro to the form states something like "Hey, I'm super duper glad you're interested in my chrome extension - It's not ready yet, but I would love to get some information from you for when I finish building it!"

Nobody buys anything. I don't make any false promises. But, anyone that fills out that form clicked that price-tagged button - and if they clicked that, I can sort of assume they were planning on paying whatever amount I labeled.

There's no guarantee, but now I have their email, and I can follow up with them later if I manage to gather enough resources to build the startup.

This process takes maybe an hour once you've done it - and you get a ton of feedback on the idea immediately. If you get 100 people to go to your landing page and not a single one clicks on that button, maybe your price is too high - or maybe nobody wants your theoretical product.

But you were able to figure that out without building a thing or taking on any risk at all. You could test a few ideas every week, and if one of them does really well, and you get a ton of clicks and form submissions, then you have a list of future customers you can contact anytime.

If you launch a Kickstarter campaign, you could email that whole list. If you release the product, you can get your first sales that way. You can ask them to follow you on social media for future stuff - anything you want.

This is an underrated validation technique when it comes to building startups. Everyone assumes you have to quit your job and make a bit leap, but why not do this little test first to see if people actually care? It's a lot safer.

I actually hosted a little live stream on how to build these kinds of pages, if you're interested.

P.S. There are plenty of ways to drive traffic to a website, but none of them are easy. You will run into issues there. Personally, I've had a bit of success with asking for advice on places like Facebook groups and running Facebook ads to the page itself.
Here's a guide I wrote to promoting around the internet, and here's another guide to running ads.

Thanks!

D

Deleted81125

I so need to do this, thanks!

floridaman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Dec 28, 2018
Orlando, FL
Excellent post. Most won't want to do this because of how unsexy it is. I've done it and it's a fantastic way to get feedback about your message.

But here's the kicker, your messaging probably sucks the first time you draft a landing page.

I've found that doing customer discovery interviews should always come before building any marketing assets (landing page, sales letter, etc). The interviews should be with strangers in the market, not friends (very important).

If you ask the right questions in the discovery interviews, you'll be validating the idea AND improving the messaging at the same time. Once you have solid feedback, then build the landing page and drive traffic. Then do it again, and again.

It's highly unlikely that your first draft website is going to hit bullseye unless you are the market or you know the market extremely well.

If someone builds the page and pays for traffic but doesn't see any results, it might lead them to give up on an idea that could have otherwise been solid if only they had improved the messaging through research.

This is a great point. Just like you might have to pivot your actual product a few times to hit the mark, you may end up having to pivot your landing page a few times to hit the market, or some kind of product-market-fit.

@EntrepreNerd --
I think this is a great way to validate an idea. However, I think it only validates it enough to take the next STEP, not the entire idea. You could still trip up on some details of the execution. But at least you know the market digs the overall idea/concept.

I plan on doing this with an app idea I have, before I go and spend $3k to build an MVP. I'm going to put up some screenshots/video of my prototype on the landing page and in the ads. I plan on running my ads on Pinterest, since that's where my market is. Then instead of saying anything about "Coming soon," I'm going to put the "Download from App Store" button on the landing page, and track how many people click that. Then I'll probably send them to a form like you did.

I'll post an update when it's done.

peterb0yd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 30, 2019
You message people on linked in about your idea?

Not quite. You send them a personalized message and then ask if they'd be willing to participate in your research on X industry. Then, you set up a Zoom or Google Meet video chat and ask them a series of questions.

Flint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jul 14, 2020
Not quite. You send them a personalized message and then ask if they'd be willing to participate in your research on X industry. Then, you set up a Zoom or Google Meet video chat and ask them a series of questions.

I create warm LinkedIn leads too and it's an effective tool but in a different context. I reach out to people from my industry by sending something personalised and relevant. I exchange a message or two and stop. I don't want to sell them anything, only to see how open they are to a conversation, leave a positive message in their chat history (when they hear from me again and scroll up) and possibly understand their needs better. It's building a proper relationship over time. So not exactly relevant for this thread.

Back to the OP's topic:
@peterb0yd, I wonder what your validation questions are like. Do you mind sharing your approach?

For example, I've learnt that suggesting an answer (just like I'm doing now lol) is not as effective as an open question.

Bad: How do you do X? Do you A... or B... or C? (the "or" is a tell of going down this rabbit hole and focusing attention on your preconceptions)

Better: How do you do X?

LHXS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jul 31, 2020
United Kingdom
I love the short guide, but this was never the issue for me. The challenge has always been getting (the right) traffic to the page. An amount that's statistically valid, but doesn't break the bank.

What are your suggestions for that?

Much appreciated

D

Deleted81125

I love the short guide, but this was never the issue for me. The challenge has always been getting (the right) traffic to the page. An amount that's statistically valid, but doesn't break the bank.

What are your suggestions for that?

Much appreciated
I'm going to find an audience first then create something specifically for them.
Of course there's more to it than that, but that's the gist.

peterb0yd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 30, 2019
@peterb0yd, I wonder what your validation questions are like. Do you mind sharing your approach?

Google is your friend. I've taken all my questions from blog posts I've read that thoroughly discuss Discovery Interview methods. Do you want me to Google it for you lol?

Flint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jul 14, 2020
Google is your friend. I've taken all my questions from blog posts I've read that thoroughly discuss Discovery Interview methods. Do you want me to Google it for you lol?

Don't worry buddy. Was just curious about your perspective and lessons learnt.

You didn't ask but here's what I found useful.

Athena

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Sep 22, 2019
Created an ad and landing page to validate my product. Got 50 add to carts. Safe to say it's happening !!!!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.