The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How I Made My First Dollar Freelancing

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Will Hodge

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 5, 2015
Quick pre-weekend update:

I have been working offline for a bit with a new project that has pretty good Fastlane potential, so my number of applications has gone down a bit this week compared to my earnings, but I did still make money and get offers this week (I've also been flipping a bit on CL, so that has taken some of my time away from Upwork as well). Here are the total numbers:

I have submitted a total of 26 applications, I have had 8 total inquiries, and 2 accepted/completed jobs, along with 2 active candidacies (client's who have emailed back about my submission, asked me a few questions, to which I responded, and am waiting to hear back from them whether or not they want to hire me).

I hear back from 30.7% of the jobs I apply for, and I currently land 7.7% of the total jobs I apply for. Not great, but it's a start. I mentioned above in a more recent post that I have had some trouble with more of the simple jobs, so I have been actively applying for more high-skill jobs, along with jobs that have the words URGENT or NEED DONE NOW that have been posted within the last 10 minutes of me searching. That has landed me 2 of the 8 inquiries, and 1 of the 2 jobs I have completed. I am also trying to hone in my keyword searches so I can find the jobs I will land more successfully. Sometimes, clients don't do a great job of actually posting keywords that I am searching, so it's a balance of trying to make searches broad while still remaining efficient with how much time I take for applying to jobs.

The above is kind of negative, so what positive has come out of this week? I landed my next job, and made my second client happy!

Screen Shot 2015-08-21 at 8.46.37 PM.png

Original rate agreed upon for job: $60
Final rate paid to me: $75 ($60 original rate + $15 tip)

This was accomplished using the same principles as described in the first post of this thread. Actually care! Get into the project like it's your own, and if you put in the extra time and effort to help your client, he/she will appreciate it. My second client also asked me if I could do other jobs related to similar work I did for him, so I expect repeat work will come in the near future with this client as well as my first -- definitely a good thing. And like @SinisterLex says in his thread here, when you're doing applications:

"All you have to do is go find jobs. Read the description, and tell them how your skills help them. Inform them. Even tell them what they should look for in a good video/website. Give them helpful info. It doesn't matter if they choose someone else. This is how you create value. If you do it, they'll pick you. If they don't pick you this time, they'll come back later. They'll remember you. But you have to give them a reason to remember."

It's simple, you just have to do it. Focus on them and their problems, and great things will come. Sure, things like this can help you get some interest, it seemed to have worked for me in one of my applications. That being said, that's just something to back up your knowledge of the topic(s) at hand. Ultimately, it comes down to how can you help your client's get the job done the right way in an efficient manner? Once we learn how to do this, we can continue to land clients one after another.

Goals for this weekend:
-Come up with sample jobs for clients to look at when sending an application
-Check in with clients that sent inquiries, but have never gotten back to me afterwards
-Optimize keyword searches, and come up with 3 new keywords that relate to jobs I am aiming to complete
-Send 10 more applications

I may not be Fastlane yet, but I'm surviving. And I am so happy to be doing it my way.

KCFO.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Good stuff man, just curious do you currently have any portfolio pieces?
Or working/planning to upload some soon?

I do not have portfolio pieces uploaded or available to show really but I will do some work for a local business for free as suggest in Sinister Lex's post.

Anyway I have my first gig, similar to Lex's experience, just transcription, quite tedious but at least it's a start.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
LOVE reading this thread Will! I think one of the most important things in the world is to value yourself and your skills. If you don't then the honest truth is you can't moan and criticise when people take advantage of that.

Having said that though the problem I see far too often is people getting far too caught up in huge lofty goals they are no-where near achieving and don't get in the trenches and start moving forward, which is what each job is doing for you. It may not be a fortune, but each completed job is taking you a step further forward and quicker than that dreamer sitting in their bedroom writing out the same dream plan again and again, but not moving forward because they're not making the money to be able to ... and perhaps more importantly going out and being of value to people. The truth is someone may have 150 times more talent than me to do something, but if they haven't got the evidence to back it up or built up the relationship with a potential client through doing a $50 job that blew their socks of I'm going to win every time.

Keep us updated and keep on rocking this path. You're doing amazingly!

Will Hodge

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 5, 2015
Good stuff man, just curious do you currently have any portfolio pieces?
Or working/planning to upload some soon?

I do not have portfolio pieces uploaded or available to show really but I will do some work for a local business for free as suggest in Sinister Lex's post.

Anyway I have my first gig, similar to Lex's experience, just transcription, quite tedious but at least it's a start.
I don't yet, that's one of the goals I have this weekend. Transcription is a great skill to have! If you haven't yet, I recommend reading "The Ultimate Sales Letter" by Dan Kennedy

Will Hodge

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 5, 2015
LOVE reading this thread Will! I think one of the most important things in the world is to value yourself and your skills. If you don't then the honest truth is you can't moan and criticise when people take advantage of that.

Having said that though the problem I see far too often is people getting far too caught up in huge lofty goals they are no-where near achieving and don't get in the trenches and start moving forward, which is what each job is doing for you. It may not be a fortune, but each completed job is taking you a step further forward and quicker than that dreamer sitting in their bedroom writing out the same dream plan again and again, but not moving forward because they're not making the money to be able to ... and perhaps more importantly going out and being of value to people. The truth is someone may have 150 times more talent than me to do something, but if they haven't got the evidence to back it up or built up the relationship with a potential client through doing a $50 job that blew their socks of I'm going to win every time.

Keep us updated and keep on rocking this path. You're doing amazingly!
Thank you! Absolutely. Believing in yourself is the first step.

And you're very right. Dreamers stay dreamers without action. You have to take that first step, then the next one, then the next. One at a time. Set your goals each step at a time, but still have those long-term goals in sight. You have to make your first hundred dollars before you can make your first thousand, then your first ten thousand, etc.

Freelance on!

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Hey @Will Hodge how do you go about regarding paying taxes?

I'm in a situation where I am working in a foreign nation for clients also based overseas.

I asked Upwork staff and they basically told me I shouldn't worry about paying taxes.

I am doing my due diligence regarding that now, anyway.

Will Hodge

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 5, 2015
Hey @Will Hodge how do you go about regarding paying taxes?

I'm in a situation where I am working in a foreign nation for clients also based overseas.

I asked Upwork staff and they basically told me I shouldn't worry about paying taxes.

I am doing my due diligence regarding that now, anyway.
It depends on many factors: how long you have been in the foreign nation, your host nation's laws regarding working in a foreign nation, the foreign nations laws regarding working there/how long you've been there, etc.

I would research these things first. Personally, I live and work in the U.S. currently. I'll be paying taxes on what I earn to the U.S. government when I file next year.

P.S. Update coming soon

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.