What's new

How does Value Perception help you?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

Drive2Riches

Regular Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Joined
Jul 18, 2014
Messages
188
Location
Washington
Rep Bank
$1,065
User Power: 188%
I've got to give myself a little credit.

I did a "2X" in 2018. I doubled my prices and tripled sales by doing it. It's the "value perception" that really paid off.

I'm on a platform (Fiverr) where literally anybody can join and claim to do the same thing that I do. But the number of participants is daunting. I can't remember how painful it was when I began three years ago, but I was a fellow freelancer among the ranks of "cheap" products for miserly buyers.

My advantage in the end was that the whole time doing this, my product was better than all others. To compete, I had to be creative. I automated all my admin stuff until most of my time was spent on what I was being paid for rather than admin minutiae. I could then spend time learning and implementing Python and AWS because of not having enough sales to occupy my time producing the product.

I could hear the voices of well-meaning relatives in my head "how much is that per hour?" And I recognized that I'll be working much longer hours for my money. I don't get paid by the hour. I get paid per order, and per item. My product took a very long time if measured by an hourly wage. This is probably why new and "cheap" freelancers are coming from Pakistan, India and Nigeria so frequently on the platform. I'm one of maybe ten or more from US/UK/AU/CA within the top hundred freelancers. (It demands skills in English.)

Buyers don't want to pay much for the services I provide because they don't have any idea of the value of the product they are getting. The range of quality starts at complete crap why-did-I-spend-money quality... And at the top -- my product.

The thing is, I've not changed the quality of my product since day one. I only learned how to improve based on experience on the platform. Learning about the platform algorithms was part of success on it. Since the very beginning, I had always felt a need for over-delivering quality and customer service. SUCS applied (thank you TMF ) for every customer. Right now I'm approaching a thousand five-star reviews. Those were key. And knowing where else I was being measured by the platform was also key.

I provided a professional level product for the same cost of a freelancer from Nigeria. But I wanted to keep myself at the top where the demand drove my prices higher, and not arbitrarily set by me. I wanted to keep customer costs low enough to compete with others, while gaining more orders and having a heavier workload might force me to raise cost to customers because of demands upon my time. It was a bit of a valve -- I adjusted price or delivery promises as demands on my time applied pressure to that adjustment. More orders and bigger orders meant increased prices, which meant cheaper buyers went away who wasted my productive time.

Later...

The quality of my work and improvement of the placement of my freelance gig on the platform finally one day led to attaining a hand-picked ranking on the platform. I get that little badge attached to my profile now. In a platform like Fiverr it seems to hold some level of value for customers seeking value.

Three weeks after holding that Top Rated Seller ranking I doubled my prices across the board. I honestly thought that it would cause me to drop in sales. But I was surprised to find that what seemed to have happened is that the Value Perception applied, thus increasing the sheer number of sales. This compounded upon the benefit of having doubled my prices.

I go through a seven day week thinking that work is slow for me. But typically, a few of my Premium Buyers orders from me at my normal full rates. So I spend a third of the (former) time working for double the (former) income on an order now. All that down time has become more valuable to me now.

More orders come in from my Gig because of the perception of its value which high-quality customers want. There are customers out there who would rather not risk their time and money trying to find something merely adequate for their purpose. The customers that come to me are the ones that value their own time, and know that when they outsource to me, they're truly saving themselves time and energy while trusting they'll receive a high-quality product. (Transcription.)

I might be at a point now where my down time is spent searching for the "next" thing. I am starting to trust that my new pricing scheme can continue to pay the bills. Three years ago, I was borrowing and taking -- but now I'm paying stuff back and covering my own expenses. Three years may seem like a long time, but I'm comparing it to how my world looked when I began -- debt, uncertainty, etc.

How has Value Perception changed your business or your life?
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Katv xepvif vu tez "duphsevt" up 2Yoph vjot zies. Pu nevvis vji fummes enuapv (iwip op GowiS visnt) vji nipvem qisdiqvoupem tjogv xomm qez fowofipft gus mogi.
 
Vjev't exituni! Vjeplt gus tjesoph! Duphsevt fafi.

O jewi e qsufadv vjev ot ziv vu ci simietif. O qmeppif vu timm ov gus e tnemm enuapv, vjip egvis tuni sitiesdj opdsietif vji qsodi duptofisecmz. Puv tasi jux ov xomm hu - cav O'n tvomm tu hmef O'mm ci tvesvoph ev e johjis quopv.

Ov't e vuahj vjoph vu hiv sohjv - O'n hmef gus zua!
 
@Efimeofi Vjepl zua gus vjev. O xupfis og zua'wi tumf epz ug zuas qsufadv ziv? Gus ni, ov vuul g u s i w i s vu neli e temi, epf vjip iraemmz muph vu neli vji tidupf upi. (Vjot ot fai vu vji pevasi ug vji qmevgusn.) Xet moli vjot gus nupvjt epf nupvjt. Cav emxezt, O uwis-fimowisif ev vji cihoppoph. O xet upmz op ov gus vji gowi-tves siwoixt. Nezci apfisdavvoph vji nesliv up qsodi howit zua ep ifhi vu tuni fihsii gus apov temit? Qistupemmz, O nohjv veli efwepvehi ug vjev og ov fuit. Nezci zua'si ecmi vu seoti qsodit egvis hivvoph e movvmi vsedvoup?
 
@Efimeofi Vjepl zua gus vjev. O xupfis og zua'wi tumf epz ug zuas qsufadv ziv? Gus ni, ov vuul g u s i w i s vu neli e temi, epf vjip iraemmz muph vu neli vji tidupf upi. (Vjot ot fai vu vji pevasi ug vji qmevgusn.) Xet moli vjot gus nupvjt epf nupvjt. Cav emxezt, O uwis-fimowisif ev vji cihoppoph. O xet upmz op ov gus vji gowi-tves siwoixt. Nezci apfisdavvoph vji nesliv up qsodi howit zua ep ifhi vu tuni fihsii gus apov temit? Qistupemmz, O nohjv veli efwepvehi ug vjev og ov fuit. Nezci zua'si ecmi vu seoti qsodit egvis hivvoph e movvmi vsedvoup?
O jewip'v simietif ov ziv. O'wi fidofif vu hu xovj nz hav epf uavtuasdi neslivoph vu e vien (xju xomm meapdj ov op piyv 6-8 xiilt). Vjiz esi puv dutvoph wisz nadj - O jewi tjuqqif esuapf gus iyqisvt xju dep gomm nz lpuxmifhi heq. O'mm tvomm fu covt, cav ov'mm ci qesv ug e cohhis tvsevihz gus nz catopitt.

O'wi huv tiwisem sietupt gus xeovoph, ittipvoemmz, vjot otp'v nz gostv qsufadv. Ov't nz gostv upmopi duasti vjuahj. Nz catopitt jet ciip edvowi gus uwis e zies epf O jewi e viipz gummuxoph. O'wi jimf iwipvt epf uvjis movvmi vjopht apvom pux. Vjot qsufadv xomm ci nz gostv xovj e fidipv qsugov neshop.

Apvom pux O jewi ciip fuoph nz uxp neslivoph epf ov velit ni e MUPH voni vu fu vjopht. O xetvi voni epf nupiz epf pux O'f sevjis uavtuasdi vjev cov epf tqipv nz voni up qesvt ug vji catopitt O dep'v uavtuasdi.

O'wi tvsahhmif xovj vji fidotoup vu hiv uvjist opwumwif cideati qiuqmi tez "fu ov zuastimg gus gsii".
O jewi huvvip vjot ges emupi, zit, juxiwis O vsatv nz hav vjev vu hiv vu vji piyv tvehi, O en huoph vu piif jimq. Nz hsuxvj jet tvapvif tu uavtofi jimq xomm ci huuf!
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Back
Top Bottom