The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you make an invention idea a reality?

Idea threads

CLE

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Feb 7, 2016
I have an idea that could be a big game changer but I don't have the means to make a prototype. The end products would most likely cost only $40-60 and could be marketed to 10s of millions of people. This item could have actually save lives in certain situations. I just don't have what it takes to make one and I'm afraid if I approach a company to build one they will steal it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

InnovateDesign

777 MPH
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 16, 2016
Taxco, MX
Hello, you can file for a provisional patent application. This will give your idea one year of protection before you decide to file for a full patent (if you do decide).

The cool thing with a provisional patent application is that it only costs $65 to file it with the USPTO. Of course you will also need to find somebody who is knowledgeable in this field that can draft it for you. A PPA will allow you to keep the original filing date of the PPA when filing for a full patent.

It will also allow you to use the term "Patent Pending" which deters companies and people from stealing your idea.

Rudynate

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 3, 2016
San Francisco, CA
I have an idea that could be a big game changer but I don't have the means to make a prototype. The end products would most likely cost only $40-60 and could be marketed to 10s of millions of people. This item could have actually save lives in certain situations. I just don't have what it takes to make one and I'm afraid if I approach a company to build one they will steal it?

Hire a consulting engineer to design and prototype your product.

Be sure your consulting agreement contains a good confidentiality clause and requires the consulting engineer to assign ownership of any IP he generates to you.

Last edited:

Rudynate

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 3, 2016
San Francisco, CA
There are also product design firms who have established relationships with manufacturers, so they can help you get the manufacturing set up.

CLE

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Feb 7, 2016
I have a design and the tem doesn't need much changed. It should be a simple and effective design. I made some changes last night that I feel will reduce cost and make it easier to use and more reliable.

NetBorn

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Mar 25, 2016
I have a design and the tem doesn't need much changed. It should be a simple and effective design. I made some changes last night that I feel will reduce cost and make it easier to use and more reliable.

You know, I watched the guys behind THIS . Nothing happened and HERE is some of it. Much money spend. I'm trying to draw conclusions from this, but yet I haven't entirely. Also here is another article with similar stories
Unfortunately or lucky for me, every startup story around me is full of lessons on how not to do it ... just the idea doesn't cut it.

I hope you find this helpful and you succeed !

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Get an MVP in place and see if the idea sells! That can be a sketch, a 3D model, etc. Once you have proven need, then pay for a 1st pass analysis to see if the math and science works. Then use your purchase orders to fund the prototype. Let the first few customers know they will be your guinea pigs. Most will then help you sell it.

CLE

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Feb 7, 2016
Ok, so after some deep thinking of who might come after me as competition on this idea I realized many companies could use existing product just modified and even sell to people who have some of their product already. Ideally I'm now leaning towards selling a company the concept and letting them take all the financial hit of manufacturing on it. I have know doubt in my mind it would sell.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.