The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you know when your being lazy?

Anything related to matters of the mind

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
I admit that some days I have a problem with laziness. But it's usually only a day later or more that I realize after looking back.

In the moment, its not so easy to tell. I either think I am moving forward (because I am doing something to my goals), but looking back a day later I think its not enough.

Recently though, I have been lazy. Doing things that have contributed to my decline in feeling well, making bad decisions.

How do you tell?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I admit that some days I have a problem with laziness. But it's usually only a day later or more that I realize after looking back.

In the moment, its not so easy to tell. I either think I am moving forward (because I am doing something to my goals), but looking back a day later I think its not enough.

Recently though, I have been lazy. Doing things that have contributed to my decline in feeling well, making bad decisions.

How do you tell?

Hey man,

One of the things that I've come to realize about laziness is that behind every behavior is a positive intent.

The process I usually follow when it comes to motivation is:

1. What is the specific goal I'm working towards?

For me right now, it is creating a new YouTube channel that is focused around a lot of the posts that I've made which have helped this forum. How to find product or services to sell, motivation, mindset, how to get mentors, how to not fu*k it up when you do get a mentor, how to properly structure a mastermind group, how to find purpose and direction, performance optimization, sales, marketing.

2. How does this specific goal play into my bigger goal?

The bigger goal is to grow my business in this industry. It's to have video training courses and high-ticket consulting to help that demographic grow their businesses.

3. How does that goal play into my larger vision?

But beyond that, what larger vision is to have this (among other businesses) built out into a system so I can be living in my Lake Tahoe dream house with the women of my dreams, having the abundance, freedom, and ability to travel to anywhere in the world on a moment's notice. To truly experience the life in the way we all desire to live it.

To have my company help empower and train people to go onto building businesses, non-profits, and social movements that make the world a better place. Where people are more aware, and free.

This specific goal of creating the YouTube channel plays into the larger vision because it will provide the traffic needed to bring people into my business and make that happen.

Up until now:
  • I know exactly what I truly desire (relationship, dream house, abundance, freedom, travel, dream wife - love and connection, contribution to society). This is my why behind what I do. The emotional drivers that propel me.
  • I know what the end goal is - exactly what I'm running towards.
  • I know how to break down the larger goal into smaller, more easily-obtainable goals (The YouTube Channel for traffic).
From there, I can chunk it down to one very specific task that I know I can complete in a day. I can create a screen-capture video on the topic of "How to find a Mentor", and upload that with the right keywords.

It's by seeing how this one small task WILL be leading you to the end goal which helps jumspstart the momentum to move forward.

What is your vision of the future? What will life be like when you are done with your work? Is it emotionally-charged? What specific emotions will you feel when you have it?

What is your larger goal? While my vision is the lake tahoe dream house, travel, dream wife, and students who go on to change the world - the GOAL is having the business that is up and running and gets people there and bringins in business that makes my dream possible.

When you begin with the end in mind, this will help provide you with the clarity an direction to move forward, knowing that you're at least doing the right things to start building the momentum which will lead you on the path to that goal coming true over time.

Other things to take into consideration:

Are you having trouble getting STARTED?
The solution to this is to have the confidence in yourself and your abilities to become the type of person who can do this. For the example with me and my YouTube Channel that I'm starting now - I am not the person who has ever created a successful YouTube channel before. My other one has like 200 followers (or less).

But I'm taking on the identity of a person who has the resourcefulness to go out and be consistent with putting out content. Who has the drive and determination to learn new things (how to set keywords, search terms, get views, etc.). The one who has the positive attitude to stick it through to the end.

So even if you don't identify as someone who has done it before, by giving yourself the identity of being resourceful and growing - this is enough to align you and help you get started.

Are you having trouble CONTINUING? This is a motivation thing - where you should tap into your metaprograms. Are you motivated more by pain or by pleasure? Can you write a $100 check to a friend and say you have to do a specific task by the end of the day, or else they get to keep it? Can you reward yourself with a nice dinner after you make one small step that doesn't show an immediate positive reward?

Or, can you retrain your brain to get some kind of enjoyment out of the task itself.

Instead of fearing getting on video, I had fun driving up to Sedona, AZ with my friends the other year, lugging my tripod and Nikon and recording a YouTube video that previously made me uncomfortable. I enjoy doing the TASK (video, working out, writing, etc.) - this enjoyment of the task itself is the ultimate 'towards' strategy.

The other meteprogram is the fact that you have to be the one to give yourself permission to act. Nobody is going to guide you or tell you what do to. Give yourself permission.

Are you having trouble FINISHING? Do you get close to the finish line, but stop for some reason before you see results? The solution is the sense of deserving and worthiness. That yes, you are the one putting out all this great stuff into the world for your business, so you deserve to reap the rewards. You are good enough to have it. You deserve it, and when you do this...

You'll face some final test of resistance to see how bad you want it.

You'll feel that invisible forcefield of emotional resistance, right before you get it.

When you do face that, hold your frame, and keep going...through the adversity.

There may be more to it, but this is the process that helps me.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Also, your sense of identity of being a lazy person is something to change.

No. You're not a lazy person - the behaviors you partake in provide you something positive.

What emotion are you feeling when you do the other habits? What can you do to associate pain with the thought of that other habit?

You are motivated to do the things you enjoy doing. You always have been and you always will be.

So how can you enjoy doing the things that are unpleasurable?

Reframing it as growth and transformation is a good one that works for me.

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
Also, your sense of identity of being a lazy person is something to change.

No. You're not a lazy person - the behaviors you partake in provide you something positive.

What emotion are you feeling when you do the other habits? What can you do to associate pain with the thought of that other habit?

You are motivated to do the things you enjoy doing. You always have been and you always will be.

So how can you enjoy doing the things that are unpleasurable?

Reframing it as growth and transformation is a good one that works for me.

Your absolutely right! REP+

In a way it had become my identity. How fked up is that? Something that was unconscious.

Its always a good thing to take a good look at your life in the 3rd person. That way you develop an idea of what beliefs/identities you hold that have created the life you now live.

I've made it a point to be thankful for things that I take for granted.
- Water
- Food
- Safety
- Shelter
- A sense of entrepreneurship
- Past job experience
- This forum (and people willing to share- like yourself)

all these things that some others don't have, or dont have the idea to look for them.

I'm not where I want to be. But if I make at-least ONE step and move that needle in that direction- I'm not being lazy.

Thanks

scott.legendre

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
235%
Aug 5, 2013
I think that if you think you are being lazy, then you are being lazy. You would know if you are not because of the sense of accomplishment that comes with it. It's not really a negative thing unless you perceive it that way. You are recognizing you can do more and do better than you are doing right now.

How do you tell?

In fastlane speak, are you breaking beneficial processes for short term pleasurable events? (instead of going to gym, sitting in recliner and eating ice cream for example).

for that matter, have you developed or are you developing systems/processes that will steer you in the right direction to your goals?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
How do you know when YOUR being lazy?

I realized an instance of my own laziness this evening.

I was going to let the grammatically incorrect “your” vs “you’re” slide, but after thinking it through, I’m going to address it. How can one reasonably expect to be successful with a lack of basic grammar skills? I understand a small screw up here (not hear) and there (not their), but it was in the F*cking title. If someone presented a business opportunity to me with a mistake this blatant I would run it through (not threw) my shredder.

Your implies ownership. Example: Your car is blue.
You’re is a contraction. It means- “you are”. Example: You’re being lazy by typing a thread that asks about laziness.

I apologize and understand that I am an a**hole. Carry on.

Last edited:

ButGregSaid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Aug 9, 2017
Michigan

How do you tell?

What inspired this post if you don't mind me asking? It seems like you recognize the challenge... Sometimes it's like going to the gym, you don't feel like going til you've walked into the locker room.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
If you need to make a post asking if you are lazy then I am guessing you are probably being lazy

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.