The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How Do You Convince A Business Owner That Just Because The Marketing Is Digital...Doesn't Mean It Should be free?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 25, 2020
Some of these business owners I come across think I should be doing the work for free...which is kind of ridiculous...how do you justify your prices to them?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheKingOfMadrid

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Dec 14, 2020
Some of these business owners I come across think I should be doing the work for free...which is kind of ridiculous...how do you justify your prices to them?
Personally I try to avoid people like this because the hassle only grows as you get deeper into that relationship.

If someone cannot grasp that hours you spend on a task they cannot do brings value to their business for the exchange of money then you're starting at the bottom of the hill with a long way to go.

I would just outline the value it brings to their business, and the value my work has had in other such businesses (in monetary terms) and if they aren't on board with that there is a sea of other businesses that you can contact in the next half hour that will value you.

CoderSales

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Feb 3, 2020
Colorado
Sounds like you're talking to the wrong business owners - where and how are you starting dialogue with them? When I would come across an owner that sounds like that (other than ending the conversation right away because it's a waste of time) I challenge them by saying "NO our services are not free. Are your products/services free?" then you end the conversation. Waste of time.

If you keep running into that objection, try qualifying better ahead of time before your conversation and changing up where you're finding these companies.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
You deal with them by NOT dealing with them. Seriously, move on. True biz people understand there is value in time and expertise - regardless the industry or product. I don't pay a plumber $100/hr to fix a toilet. I'm paying for the years of experience that ensures it is done right the first time and in a reasonable amount of time.

When you come across these people I recommend you be polite, explain that digital products still require time and expertise to develop, give them your card/contact information and move on. Maybe they will come to understand and call you back. Maybe they will just take advantage of someone new who is willing to give their services away in order to establish a portfolio. Doesn't matter to you. Go find clients who understand your value.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Around 20-30% of customers, first dates, or just people in general are AWFUL to deal with and you should run away from them.

50% are going to be normal and alright to deal with

20-30% are going to be great.

Mix up the ratios however much you want but always remember there's going to be a percentage that are awful, a percentage that are decent, and a percentage that are great.

It's easy to get some shitty clients, extrapolate that out to mean that all people are like that, and get discouraged. It's also easy to get some amazing clients, extrapolate that out to mean that all people are like that, and get overconfident.

There's millions of shitty people, millions of decent people, and millions of amazing people. There's more than you could ever possibly meet. There's more of them all interested in a single small niche than you could possibly meet.

Whenever you come across someone that you don't like, or a customer that sucks, or someone that doesn't like you, JUST MOVE ON TO THE NEXT ONE.

There's thousands and thousands of girls RIGHT NOW that would think you're cute and want to date you, there's thousands and thousands of customers RIGHT NOW that would pay you thousands to do simple digital marketing work for them...your biggest problem is that you need to get yourself in front of all those people.

When you internalize this, you'll stop taking it personally, and you'll stop undervaluing your services. It's a numbers game. In business and in life.

You'll learn its more about how you position yourself that will get you the results you want. You're probably marketing yourself like a rookie. You probably rely on "word of mouth" to grow your business, or worse, you're probably relying on freelancing sites. If you want to stop getting pissed on, don't stand where the piss is coming down. Don't ask for an umbrella, don't tell the piss to stop coming down, you have to reposition yourself.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Are they asking for free trials?

What is your offer?

If they see sales why would they not pay.

It is always about who bears the cost of "paying for nothing". You do not want to work for nothing. They don't want to pay for something that doesn't work. Someone has to take the small risk to make the leap, to start the process.

Onakosa

"When I grow up I want to be ... "
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Oct 23, 2020
UK
It is ridiculous and you shouldn't be "justifying" anything. As per the above answers, you're talking to the wrong people. Or you need to work on your own marketing and pitch.

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 25, 2020
Are they asking for free trials?

What is your offer?

If they see sales why would they not pay.

It is always about who bears the cost of "paying for nothing". You do not want to work for nothing. They don't want to pay for something that doesn't work. Someone has to take the small risk to make the leap, to start the process.
I usually pitch it as a commission basis at first. Just 10% of whatever comes through my efforts. Sent one guy 14 jobs including a $40,000 tree service job in just 2 weeks. At first he agreed to 10% on the phone, now all of a sudden he goes back on it saying "I dOn't WAnNa pAy FoR MarKeTinG".

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
I usually pitch it as a commission basis at first. Just 10% of whatever comes through my efforts. Sent one guy 14 jobs including a $40,000 tree service job in just 2 weeks. At first he agreed to 10% on the phone, now all of a sudden he goes back on it saying "I dOn't WAnNa pAy FoR MarKeTinG".
Sounds like a nothing to lose offer for the buyer. It is just that he didn’t bother to try.

He is not paying for marketing he is paying for result. He pays nothing if he gets nothing from you.

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 25, 2020
Sounds like a nothing to lose offer for the buyer. It is just that he didn’t bother to try.

He is not paying for marketing he is paying for result. He pays nothing if he gets nothing from you.
Oh no, he's definitely getting something out of it, he closed 7 of those jobs including the 40k deal...he just doesn't want to pay that 10% now :(

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 25, 2020
Oh no, he's definitely getting something out of it, he closed 7 of those jobs including the 40k deal...he just doesn't want to pay that 10% now :(
I feel robbed because I was as straight up and clear about it as I could be. Of course no written contract was in place and it was verbal since I'm brand new and everything but damnit ya know. Frustrated for sure.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
I feel robbed because I was as straight up and clear about it as I could be. Of course no written contract was in place and it was verbal since I'm brand new and everything but damnit ya know. Frustrated for sure.
Sorry to hear that. You got ripped offed.

It is not about convincing to pay for marketing. He didn’t want to pay for goods delivered.

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013

Try to get at least a testimonial out of it.

Find a list of competitors, email/mail/call them all, and offer the leads to the first one that replies, this time with a contract.

Great job, BTW. How did you generate the leads?

Onakosa

"When I grow up I want to be ... "
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Oct 23, 2020
UK
Ah okay, he's a shytbag and what goes around comes around. People like that always get bitten on the arse one way or another by the karma fairy.

You've learnt a very valuable lesson here at the beginning of your career; always have something in writing. Even if it's just an email follow up saying, 'further to our convo today, we have agreed [state what you think has been agreed/payment etc] please respond to this email confirming you are happy with this. AS SOON AS I HAVE YOUR EMAIL I WILL BEGIN THE WORK.'

Obviously, you don't use the capitals (though you could use bold) but don't begin any work until you have their agreement. It's a good test. If they can't be fagged pinging a one line email back to you from their phone, what are they going to be like as a client?

Ultimately, if someone is going to shaft you then that's waht they'll do. As you gain experience you will start to pick up a bit of a nose for it. An email at least makes it slightly harder for them to go back on their word and gives you a bit of leverage if you want to start making legal threats.

Well done on generating that amount of leads anyway. Chalk this one down to experience and onwards and upwards.

Last edited:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Look for people already paying for marketing.

Meaning, really paying for marketing.

Ads in the yellowpages or ads that are basically low cost or free do not count.

If the people you are hitting up show no signs of already spending money for advertising, then they probably don't value marketing to begin with.

Last edited:

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 25, 2020
Try to get at least a testimonial out of it.

Find a list of competitors, email/mail/call them all, and offer the leads to the first one that replies, this time with a contract.

Great job, BTW. How did you generate the leads?
I built and ranked a website. Picked a pretty easy market. Beginners luck ig

Jack Chew

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 24, 2021
I built and ranked a website. Picked a pretty easy market. Beginners luck ig
Appreciate about your shares in your lead gen biz, am looking at the course too.
Do you think the programme is good for me to join if I'm from Singapore.

CruxisKnight

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Jan 7, 2021
Show them how much money you are making from your marketing or how much money your past clients have made from your marketing efforts.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.