The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you control what you eat?

AlanJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 15, 2014
+1 to the paleo diet.

I have always had the problem of constantly thinking about food and having massive binges. After trying millions of different things, the best and only thing that has worked for me has been eating low (not 'no') carb. It's absolutely incredible, after having a good high-fat moderate-protein meal with some veggies/greens I don't feel hungry for hours! Yesterday I ate at 3pm, had a busy 6 hour shift at work and simply wasn't hungry even at 11pm.

The other things I would recommend are Bulletproof Coffee (not technically paleo but idgaf) and intermittent fasting. These things have had absolutely ridiculous life-changing results for me. Good luck!

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Paleo-ish diet.

Unless your Bodyfat is at 10%, calories are not the enemy. Shitty carbs and sugar are. Eat a good amount, avoid carbs and sugar. Do cheat days. Train and make your body (not a part of your body like your biceps) stronger and eventually you will have to be less 'diet-y' about your food. Because if you are eating healthy and well, your testosterone is high and your body is burning energy, you'll be better off.

Oh, and the battle is in the shopping trolley, not in the mind. Sorry.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I basically have a mix of bulletproof diet, paleo and carb back-loading.. I eat low/no-carb until the evening to keep my mind clear and not have the usual lows after a carb meal. But then I have carbs in the evening because I train hard and you also sleep better on a diet with some carbs. The key is to seperate fats and carbs, dont have them together. Each alone is good for you, but together in a meal they make you fat.

Bulletproof coffee in the morning (sometimes with kerrygold butter, sometimes with coconut milk)

Big salad for lunch, with some form of protein in it (chicken, thuna, shrimps) and some extra kerrygold butter to get good fats in (I bought those little 15gram pakets that they usually have in hotels and just take 2 of them with me to the office/restaurant and put them in the salad).

In the evening I then get my carbs in. So usually some chicken (because I cant afford lean beef right now), some mixed vegetables and about 150grams (uncooked) of rice. This meal is nearly fat free because of the carbs.

Sometimes on training days I pig out in the evening and have milk rice, corn flakes, etc in the evening, so still high carb low fat. I try to limit this to once a week (after leg day usually).

I try to only cheat while eating socially. Like this evening I'm going to pig out on a chinese/mongolian buffet with some friends. Makes you feel less guilty ;).

Works well, because with all the fat I'm almost never hungry and have a lot of energy.

The trick is to not have any crap in the house. If you only have healthy stuff at home (and maybe even precooked for the week), its harder to fail. Also, dont let yourself get hungry. You make stupid diet decision when you're hungry.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Dinho7

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 7, 2014
South Florida
I had struggled with an unhealthy relationship with food all my life. I used to binge eat pizza, chocolate and potato chips. I would consume 1200 calories in 5 minutes without even noticing. I ate too little fruits and veggies. I didnt know how to cook. I had also tried dozens of diets and many of the tips shared in this thread without success (no offence, it might work for some). That was until I spent 15 bucks on Amazon and ordered "It Starts With Food". It is an excellent book that completely changes your mindset about food (same way RDPD and TMF changed my business mindset).

It urges you to go on a 30 day paleo challenge to reset your body and get a healthy relationship to food. I never thought I would make it, but with sufficient preparation I DID go 30 days without consuming any processed foods, legumes, dairy products alcohol etc. You will NOT be counting calories in this program. You will NOT be weighing yourself. You will simply force yourself to learn to cook healthy and delicious foods that will change your life forever.

I feel much lighter, happier and more energetic after the 30 day challenge. For the most part, I have stuck to the rules post-challenge, and it is not hard at all.

This is a must for all entrepreneurs who are struggling with bad habits. Eating healthy is important for your mood, sleeping habits and productivity.

If I can do it, you can do it.

Read the book. Now.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
If I want to lose weight, there are TWO choices. I can eat what I want, but not when I want - or I can eat when I want, but not what I want.

For example, on a low-carb diet, you can eat 0-carb foods all day long. This is an example of eating when you want, but not what you want. You can eat steak and eggs until you explode, but you wont want to. You'll get sick of steak and eggs on your third day.

Another example, is the "Warrior Diet, or similar Intermittent Fasting diet. With these, you can eat what you want, but not when you want. I think the Warrior Diet has a daily 4-hour eating window, most IF diets have a 6-hour window. During your eating window, you can eat whatever you want. You can have donuts, ice-cream, pizza, whatever.

Last edited:

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I've been only eating from morning to noon each day, for about 8 days. Whenever I go on a diet, I always lose 10lbs in the first 2 weeks, then 2lbs a week after that. I lost 7lbs so far, so I'm doing about normal. After 6 days I stopped feeling hungry at night, and am no longer light-headed. My stomach has shrunk, so when I do eat, I cannot eat as much (twice I bought big lunches and could only eat half). There is starting to be a disassociation with what/when I eat, and how I energetic I feel.

Last edited:

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
I basically have a mix of bulletproof diet, paleo and carb back-loading.. I eat low/no-carb until the evening to keep my mind clear and not have the usual lows after a carb meal. But then I have carbs in the evening because I train hard and you also sleep better on a diet with some carbs. The key is to seperate fats and carbs, dont have them together. Each alone is good for you, but together in a meal they make you fat.

Bulletproof coffee in the morning (sometimes with kerrygold butter, sometimes with coconut milk)
ive been doing this for the past week, and feel great.
Though I just use regular coffee w/ the kerrygold & mct...Joe Rogan exposed that bulletproof guy as a sort of fraud.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I owned a pizzeria for over a decade. That stuff is super addictive. lol

I piled on the weight but as it was gradual I didn’t real notice (or chose not to) as I was always working. I firmly believe I absorbed the calories through osmosis. ;)

Anyway regarding:

my stomach is like an aircraft carrier, it's willing to receive and can carry any amount of load. Aaaaaah.

This is because your stomach is stretched. The great news is it is like elastic. IF you reduce the size of your meals (gradually over time) your stomach will shrink and so you will still feel full and satisfied after a smaller meal.

One way to help is to use a smaller plate. It has been proven that using smaller plates will help you reduce your eating quantities. Most of the time we are just greedy.

You can also feel addicted to food as you feel good after eating. However you can also get a natural high from working out. Many people are addicted to that. They get an endorphin rush every time they go to the gym. You need to build the willpower to exchange one addiction for another.

It is my wedding anniversary today so earlier this week I took my family out for a meal (wife and 5 grown up children). My eldest son came but had his dinner before leaving and sat at the table all evening long without eating or drinking a single thing. He was happy as he wanted to spend time with his brothers and sisters and enjoy the banter. He is super dedicated to diet and fitness and puts me to shame (though I am very proud of him). BUT he doesn’t find it hard as he has developed habits that protect him from over indulging.

Here he is:

jjj.jpg

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
The biggest obstacle for me when it comes to getting in shape is what I eat. I EAT and I EAT and I EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT. Since I decided to get in shape, they have been ordering free food at work, I lose a pound, I gain two back. I lose a pound, I gain two back. Everyone in my family is cooking, everytime I go visit them, they already have food backed for me. The worst thing is that I'm not saying. I've tried and I have tried, and I have tried, but once I see free food, something triggers in my brain. It's like crack, for the first time in my life I understand what addiction is like. I feel totally powerless and must have it. The worst thing is that I then eat and eat and over eat. Last week, I ate a large pizza, 10 slices with 6 toppings in one sitting, in probably 20 minutes. My weight went up 9lbs in 2 days from just eating. It's ridiculous. Prior to this free food fiasco, I was on the right track. Just eating well. If there's no free food, I'm fine, so long as it's free. I'm a mess. A newborn baby has a stronger will power than me when it comes to food. I have tried eating breakfast, lots of fiber. The day I ate the pizza, when I saw it, I went and had one cup of oat meal. That's HUGE! Hoping it would fill me up. No dice, my stomach is like an aircraft carrier, it's willing to receive and can carry any amount of load. Aaaaaah. Enough of my rant.

How do you control what you eat?
Vegetables. I like a full plate. So, my plate is a little protein, no starches and lots of vegetables.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
What I'do, is using Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com. Especially for the US, they have a lot of food already in their database, apps are available too. You then track what you eat over the course of several days.

This.
I'm a heavy guy and sick of it. I just DIDNT CARE what I ate my entire life. It tastes good, so I eat it. I enjoy being full, stuffed to the brim.

So I joined MFP with one goal: Log what I eat.
I put in caloric goals, but didn't have the intention of changing anything, just logging things. I want to know what's coming in and out of my BANK account, I want to know what my OUTSOURCERS are doing each day, diet is the same. I want to know what's going into my body and when I eat, EAT INTENTIONALLY.

So there's a negative feedback loop that just HAPPENS naturally when I see what I eat and how many calories it was, and how many calories I eat OVER the normal ~2K diet. All of a sudden the pizza doesn't look so appealing.

Now, I don't eat F*ckin oatmeal when I WANT pizza. Oatmeal gives me NO pleasure and eating foods that don't make you happy is a surefire way to binge, I've found.

So I eat a shitton of veggies. My new favorite meal is a plate of 70% carrots, green beans, and 4 ounces of fried fish (yes, battered and then fried in oil.) ~400 calorie meal and I feel SO FULL after.

EDIT: So I forgot to put this in here. 3 weeks into logging what I each and I've dropped 8lb, I have more energy, and I'm actually spending less $ on food. Good good stuff.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Self Discipline and Routine;try incremental steps eating whole and organic foods...once your used to it...you body or mind will 'reject' processed crap
As for avoiding/overcoming the 'free' food addiction/issue...That appears to be more a psychological issue...work on self discipline, what triggers are behind your actions, self-analysis etc

HotRocket

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jun 14, 2016
What I'do, is using Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com. Especially for the US, they have a lot of food already in their database, apps are available too. You then track what you eat over the course of several days. You may discover that you put too many carbs in your body, especially processed ones. I did this too and it left me hungry all the time. Like eating a pizza, 30 minutes later I could eat another one again. I suggest increasing your protein intake. You might also want to check out the Paleo thread on this forum, has a lot of good information in it.

Me too this App is great.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.