The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I monetize on my 12k+ Subs DJ channel on Youtube

Social media marketing, advertising, and growth

Steppenwolf

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Jan 30, 2017
Germany, Augsburg
Hey fastlaners,

haven`t been here in a while but today I thought I want to get active again here.

In the last 2 years I have been growing a community and a brand on Youtube with some serious underground EDM DJ mixes, I mix together with a friend so this is basically a 2 person undertaking. It feels a bit like everyone and their mother is DJing here in Germany but nobody is applying some substance and entrepreneurship to it which we are basically doing. If we manage to hit 100k subs within the next 2 years we definitely got our foot in the door in my opinion.

My goal is to reach at least 30k+ subscribers by the end of the next year. I've seen other DJ channels go from 10k to 90k within a year so I know this is possible.

Socialblade.com is an awesome tool to compare analytics and performances by the way
The thing is: you can not monetize off DJ sets because the inital rights lie with the creators of the songs or the record labels which I`m totally fine with.

My basic question is how would you monetize this channel or build more leverage like gathering emails or something similar so that you can profit even more later on.
I already setup patreon but I`m not sure if this is something sustainable. (Already am getting 1$ per month so business idea is validated haha!)

The thing is to be successful(get bookings) as a DJ you have to produce music, which we currently aren`t doing although it is in planning.

Just wanted to get this out there and happy for every opinion and 2 cents I could get on this specific case.

For anyone interested this is my channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGOHFpsA_rZ3zk2VdQCU2qQ

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
one hour is too long. I would put a theme on the music channel such as "work out music" "long distance running music". Plus the intro to that example is too long, people want to feel energized right away.

Steppenwolf

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Jan 30, 2017
Germany, Augsburg
This channel is still meant to focus on underground EDM music and not be one of those Gaming/Workout Dubstep channels.
Thx for the feedback though.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Ha, that intro was seriously trippy immersive, geez psytrance eh?
Half a million views aint so bad haha
I don't see links to patreon or itunes

Also what is you differentiator?
Use that as your selling point aka "want more (differentiator) music from us? Grab us on itunes (link) or help support us at patreon (link)"
Do that in a text bubble with bubbles that link to each one
Also add a reason why they should subscribe and explain it helps

Also is it already producing ad revenue? If not, set that up.
Also set up a logo for your fear n loathing brand so that you seem less "random" and more "established"
Think of branding like good makeup, it helps transform you from natural to supernatural in the eyes of people looking on

If you get a cool brand, you can put it on tshirts and have a link to it

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Ha, that intro was seriously trippy immersive, geez psytrance eh?
Half a million views aint so bad haha
I don't see links to patreon or itunes

Also what is you differentiator?
Use that as your selling point aka "want more (differentiator) music from us? Grab us on itunes (link) or help support us at patreon (link)"
Do that in a text bubble with bubbles that link to each one
Also add a reason why they should subscribe and explain it helps

Also is it already producing ad revenue? If not, set that up.
Also set up a logo for your fear n loathing brand so that you seem less "random" and more "established"
Think of branding like good makeup, it helps transform you from natural to supernatural in the eyes of people looking on

If you get a cool brand, you can put it on tshirts and have a link to it

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Whats your differentiator "want more (differentiator) music, find us on itunes (link) or help us create more music with patreon (link)" (use the bubble text feature)
Have a common goal with your audience, have a better logo (not a vegas sign) that really tells us what fear n loathing is all about
Have links to your shows or sets and where people get tickets, if you havent set up ads on your videos yet, do that, you have 500 000 views on some vids that should certainly make you a bit
You can also put your logo on tshirts mugs etc, your logo is like makeup that turns you from natural to supernatural in the eyes of your audience so make sure it POPS

Also regarding filtering advice from people
Listen to your audience and your market
Everyone is gonna have qualms with you if you aren't targetting their audience
But once you've gotten rid of the noise look for the common reactions all people have to the fundamentals of your image, your activity, your customer relationship, and your presence

Be sure to read up a bit on marketing funnels
And the stages of leading people through a sale
Basically, you get them intruiged, you get them involved, you get them relaxed about buying, and you put out some good closing lines that wrap it up

People are intrigued, but now you gotta get em involved, get them RELAXED about buying/acting, and have those closing mechanisms in place to link em to :)

SORRY FOR THE TRIPPLE POST MY COMPUTER SPAZZED OUT

D

Deleted50669

Partner with companies selling dj tech, do an ad spot in videos. Get commission off sales from videos. “See this scribbly dooda? It’s great for people who ______. Buy it in the link below!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
can you slightly improve and brand some mixing equipment and sell it? Seems like it could be high margin

How about software for a similar purpose?

Could you make some new beats and license them?

Steppenwolf

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Jan 30, 2017
Germany, Augsburg
Have a common goal with your audience, have a better logo (not a vegas sign) that really tells us what fear n loathing is all about
if you havent set up ads on your videos yet, do that, you have 500 000 views on some vids that should certainly make you a bit

Thanks for looking into my "case"
Like I said you can`t do profit with advertisements on DJ sets where you use other peoples music.
My videos run ads but the profit goes to the music producers. So no money to be gained here.

The whole Brand is a bit leaned on the Movie/Book Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
I have a logo looky here. But this probably isn`t the final stage of it yet.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGOHFpsA_rZ3zk2VdQCU2qQ

Designing a shirt or raver tanktop would definitely be an idea. Actually I have a friend who designed a tanktop with extasy pills all over it. LOL!
I think you sparked something there for me.

I'm currently working on recording myself while mixing the sets and uploading and streaming in 4k. So product placement adds would be another Idea true.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys!!

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
some type of promotion

TOMMOROWLAND 2018 BUY YOUR TICKETS HERE AT 20% OFF

TIESTO TICKETS 2018 WIN A FREE TICKET

i think thats your best bet (obv collect a small % for selling tickets)

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
really good music tho, one of my fav genres!

and glowsticks...dont forget the glowsticks!!!!

(possibly ship out free glowsticks to subscribers/build more subscribers) just an idea, theyre dirt cheap and are a bundle of joy.

SirPsychoSexy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
335%
May 25, 2017
France
one hour is too long. I would put a theme on the music channel such as "work out music" "long distance running music". Plus the intro to that example is too long, people want to feel energized right away.

Yeah, and become like the 154840464th music channel? No thanks. I love your channel OP, I'm suscribing as I love this kind of mix.

To add few more ideas, I think you can collaborate with artists and producers that need exposure: Like a broadcaster, you monetize featuring or promotional videos/shoutouts like on Instagram. With a proper effort to create a brand identity, you can then have a lot of opportunities to host your own events, promote new artists or even create yourself a label (+merchandizing like stated before).

Look at what other channels have done, like Artzie music or Sounds you need. They created a brand identity so strong that they can now basically do whatever they like in the music industry.

ADR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 23, 2016
Miami, FL
There is definitely some gems here. Thanks for the post. I too am a DJ since 2001. I’ve been in the same sitution as you. I started making my own music and branding my company. I’ve also created remixes and mashups to have a unique twist to already existing tracks.

Bachata Remixes - YouTube

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

@Steppenwolf
Couple thoughts since I've been in your industry previously (EDM Production)

The biggest value you're providing so far is a platform for artist's visibility.
+12K subs is quite a lot of peering eyes/traffic, which is valuable to an artist.

So, a few thoughts:
-Go the route UKF & Monstercat are going and begin releasing music under your own brand. Start with Compilation Albums as an easy entry. Contact the artists you're promoting on your channel and see if they'd be open to re-releasing some of their music under your brand. Then start releasing singles under your brand. Then entire albums. Music Royalties are virtually nothing, but self-branded releases will draw listeners to what you're doing.

-If your audience is mostly located in Germany, start organizing underground EDM events after releasing music under your brand. Get your buyers paying for higher-priced events offline.

There's a really great events thread here:
How to make 15-20K in 4 hours..EVENTS!

-Sample Packs. Get these producers to create production sample packs & resell under your brand (e.g. [Artist Name] Techno Drums Pack by [Label Name]) A large portion of the EDM listener market have attempted to write their own music, and you can sell sample packs for quite a bit (especially for coveted artists). You can continue to churn out sample packs

(Along the same line, you can create Artist's Master Classes / Online Courses specially geared to writing in your genre)

-Have artists pay for Promotion. If you have a big enough audience, why not charge a small amount to be featured on your next mix? Something like "Get on the next mix for $20!"...The traffic is valuable to an artist, and you can ramp up that promo spot number as traffic grows.

Like a lot of people have stated, you can go many different directions.
But follow the need. Nobody can make a pure living selling t-shirts.

You have the audience.

Find out what their problems are by identifying "need speak" like...

"There aren't enough Underground EDM Events in Germany! I wish there was!"
"Nobody teaches how to write XYZ properly! I wish someone would!"
"I can't find any samples for this genre! I wish there was!"

The thing about this industry is that there is no such thing as having too many different products to sell. You just have to try a bunch of things and you never know what'll work until you test, test, test...and eventually strike gold.

DamienDee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Jul 29, 2018
Create a guide for anyone thinking of getting into DJing with affiliate links to equipment and courses.
''

Honestly, this was what first came to my mind as well.

I would create a series of videos for would-be Dj's, talk about equipment choices you make and why - Do some equipment comparisons, use affiliate links. If you can get 90k+ followers, and make some really great videos around equipment then you should be able to generate a good amount of side profit from that.

AND as an added bonus, once your channel gets over 100k, I'm willing to bet you'll start getting small brands sending you free samples of equipment to review for them, as you grow, so will the gear you get access to.

So there would be a real added lifestyle bonus there.

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Checking your youtube channel in 2019 and looks like you reached your goals from back then of 30k subscribers, you're already on 80k, congrats!! :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.