The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I get a physical product up and running? I have two "blockbuster" ideas ready and primed for execution.

Idea threads

fold

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 12, 2023
Australia
Hey. I'm thirteen with a limited budget (~$300) and I have a great product idea.

Two, actually.

I'll start talking about the first idea now.

I don't know how to get the idea off the ground.

The idea ticks all the boxes:
• Social proof
• Demand
• And a couple others I forgot (Sorry MJ)

There's only 2 companies in my product niche. Both have crappy Wordpress websites, and one of them is overpriced by a couple hundred dollars.
And the second company sells out quickly whenever they do have stock.

I'm having trouble how to actually create a functioning physical prototype though.

I've thought about sourcing from AliBaba, but you have to order in bulk.

I could source all the parts and have it done today, but I also need a temperature-resistant camera (I'm talking temperatures of around -60 celsius).

But I have an annoying budget of $200 that won't allow for it.

This is semi-blockbuster - it relies on components that already exist today. This means anybody could recreate my product.

It's a kit, by the way.

Not as simple to produce as a newbie camping kit - it's 10x easier to make and launch a camping kit than the kit I'm thinking of.

Okay, now for my second idea.

This one might need some minor knowledge of electronics or engineering, but I highly doubt it.
I need a device that can measure the "tensity" of an object (like measuring how tight a rubber band is).

And once it reaches a certain threshold, it sends an electrical signal to a simple contraption.

I have absolutely no idea how I'm gonna approach designing the product.

My first idea was more of an idea that uses already existing components that anybody can outsource without to wield anything or tinker around.

But for this one, I'll need to tinker with electronics and stick stuff together.

I've considered using a CAD and sending it to a manufacturer, but most CAD creating tools I found don't offer the type of material that I'm planning to use.

Which is latex, by the way.
I'm not making anything weird - don't worry.

I'm asking if there's software I can use, or if I can do anything in real life.

Considerations for your response:
1. I am NOT looking for a step by step guide to launch my product. I just want to know how I can produce products in my situation.
2. I've read Millionaire Fastlane, and I'm 98% finished UNSCRIPTED. I'm learning programming (python) and I'm reading The Lean Startup.
3. I have decent copywriting skills, general writing skills, and I'm not afraid to pitch to a VC if it comes to that.

I'm sure there are things I've missed in this post, so I will come back to this if I realise stuff I've forgotten to add.

Call me James in your response.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Hey. I'm thirteen with a limited budget (~$300) and I have a great product idea.

Two, actually.

• Social proof
• Demand

There's only 2 companies in my product niche. Both have crappy Wordpress websites, and one of them is overpriced by a couple hundred dollars.

I'm having trouble how to actually create a functioning physical prototype though.

I could source all the parts and have it done today, but I also need a temperature-resistant camera (I'm talking temperatures of around -60 celsius).

This is semi-blockbuster - it relies on components that already exist today. This means anybody could recreate my product.

It's a kit, by the way.

Not as simple to produce as a newbie camping kit - it's 10x easier to make and launch a camping kit than the kit I'm thinking of.

This one might need some minor knowledge of electronics or engineering, but I highly doubt it.
I need a device that can measure the "tensity" of an object (like measuring how tight a rubber band is).

And once it reaches a certain threshold, it sends an electrical signal to a simple contraption.

My first idea was more of an idea that uses already existing components that anybody can outsource without to wield anything or tinker around.

But for this one, I'll need to tinker with electronics and stick stuff together.

I've considered using a CAD and sending it to a manufacturer, but most CAD creating tools I found don't offer the type of material that I'm planning to use.

1. I am NOT looking for a step by step guide to launch my product. I just want to know how I can produce products in my situation.
2. I've read Millionaire Fastlane, and I'm 98% finished UNSCRIPTED. I'm learning programming (python) and I'm reading The Lean Startup.
3. I have decent copywriting skills, general writing skills, and I'm not afraid to pitch to a VC if it comes to that.

I'm sure there are things I've missed in this post, so I will come back to this if I realise stuff I've forgotten to add.

Well you said it already.

Go pitch to a vc or get a small business loan from the bank. Since you are way too young to do that on your own you will need to partner with someone who's ideally over 20.

fold

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 12, 2023
Australia
Well you said it already.

Go pitch to a vc or get a small business loan from the bank. Since you are way too young to do that on your own you will need to partner with someone who's ideally over 20.
I'll look into that a little, any ideas where to find great people to partner?

EngineerThis

Accelerate your New Product Launch!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI

Two, actually.

• Social proof
• Demand

It's a kit, by the way.

Ask and you shall receive :)

RightyTighty

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
May 31, 2023
Arkansas

Two, actually.

• Social proof
• Demand

It's a kit, by the way.

James, I’m a retired electrical/mechanical engineer. I just joined this forum to learn about marketing for some of the inventions I have developed. I’ve read a few posts discouraging new members from taking without first giving back, so…. if you’d like to contact me (brand new here so I’m not sure how) I’d be glad to discuss your requirements and my opinion on how to proceed with a cost effective prototype and impart what I’ve learned about the patent process and writing a DIY Provisional Patent Application. Be aware that if you want to discuss specifics of your innovation you will need to provide an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) to protect your IP. As you are a minor I’m assuming it would need to be co-signed by a parent or guardian, but I’m no lawyer so I recommend you seek guidance on that. Hopefully, I’ll learn enough about marketing on this site to assist you (or someone else) in that area as well!

Last edited:

Filippos

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Oct 25, 2018

You can use a simple strain gauge for 20-100 $ depending how robust you want it to be. This is basically an electrical resistance that changes the voltage output depending on the applied strain on it.

Filippos

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Oct 25, 2018
Can you solve the same problem without a camera? What is the problem this camera is supposed to solve with this kit?

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
@Ian Thompson is great at design, use him as a resource. Also, make sure you pick @RightyTighty 's brain. That will be an awesome experience, get used to asking questions from people who know more than you. When you want to create or invent a new product, there will be different skills you don't have and you will need to rely on others. Asking key questions will help you move the needle when creating your product.

It is hard to know if you can create a prototype on a $200-$300 budget but I think the two guys above could probably answer that once you speak with them. My suggestion is, hop on the computer and learn on TinkerCad for CAD design. It is free, easy to use, and you can take files and printer them if you can find a publicly available 3D printer(libraries and colleges have these sometimes). Building a 3D mockup of the idea will help work out the design and logistics of the product for free. Then when you bring it to a designer, they don't have to spead so much time decoding what you are trying to create. You also can be very precise on your request which may lead to less revisions and less cost to design and prototype.

I'm no lawyer, but I'm actually writing up a product invention NDA today as I need to send it out to some manufacturers. I don't mind forwarding it to you, or you can just use chat GPT to write one for youself. Just make sure you look up examples of "product invention NDA examples" as there are different types of NDAs.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.