The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How can you possibly compete with Amazon?

MSB

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 14, 2012
First time poster, and reader of the fastlane. I see that a lot of you create ecommerce stores in niche markets and I am planning on trying this out. My question is that in this day and age amazon sells pretty much everything. Am I getting on this train too late (is small time ecommerce a thing of the past) or is this still a thriving market. I know there is no hard answer on this and there will always be sales to be made somewhere but wanted to get some discussion on the future of small time ecommerce websites. Some background on me, I am a graphic designer, mobile/web developer. I had a lot of ideas for making websites similar in style to FMyLife.com textsfromlastnight.com and things like that, but realize that if you are selling a product there will probably be more money to be made than just getting pageviews and ads/sponsors (and the sites in that humor market are extremely flooded). If there are any other good starting avenues with relatively minimal startup costs to consider besides ecommerce I would love to hear about them as well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
You mean reselling other people's products?

I would suggest you make your own products, sell them via resellers as well as Amazon.

Use the power of Amazon as opposed to fighting the.

Bonus is once your product is on Amazon there is a good chance your product will show up on the first page of Google without you having to do SEO etc BUT you need a great product that actually sells.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Or if you mean reselling another companies products you can still list it on Amazon and sell it.

right?

MSB

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 14, 2012
I mean how are all these people who are setting up ecommerce stores and doing dropshipping competing with Amazons prices/customer service/reputation/trust since amazon sells just about everything. Is the niche ecommerce dropshipping business model on its way out?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
That is like asking how are the mom and pop pizza places competing with Dominos or Poppa Johns.

There are a thousand answers.

Do YOU want to compete with Amazon?

I would focus your thought, actions and questions on what YOU think would fill a need and create a business for yourself.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.