The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How can I get my product made?

Ernie McCracken

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 2, 2017
Seattle, WA
I significantly improved an existing pet product for my own use. Literally every time I use it with my pets in public, people approach me and ask questions about where they can buy one.

I'd like to commission a few prototypes for further eval, but not sure how to go about it. I took a product from one industry and combined it with another in the pet industry, so I don't think there is a single pet product manufacturer overseas who could make this. It's simple to make, but different from anything out there.

Any advice?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
It's not easy to offer a helpful suggestion without knowing something about the product.
  • What material/s do you propose using to make it?
  • Do you know what manufacturing method will be used, such as injection molding, stitching, metal machining etc?
Walter

Ernie McCracken

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 2, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's not easy to offer a helpful suggestion without knowing something about the product.
  • What material/s do you propose using to make it?
  • Do you know what manufacturing method will be used, such as injection molding, stitching, metal machining etc?
Walter

It involves taking a chemical gel (non-toxic) and sewing it into an insulated wearable. The one off I made works well, but I need to transition into a commercial product.

So a manufacturer that makes pet wearables is probably who I'm looking for, but I need to find someone who will work with me on something custom/unique which will involve another supplier.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I have the chemical know-how and can provide a formula for making the gel if you like. No cost of course. You need to work out the viscosity you want, but you could experiment by tweaking the formula.

The major ingredient other than water is used in tiny quantities, so a very slight variation in the quantity can make a huge difference. As a result you will need very accurate scales in increments of 1gm or less.

To avoid copying, you might try finding an expert seamstress and providing her with the materials. I can identify a couple in the US for you.

Walter

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I have the chemical know-how and can provide a formula for making the gel if you like. No cost of course. You need to work out the viscosity you want, but you could experiment by tweaking the formula.

The major ingredient other than water is used in tiny quantities, so a very slight variation in the quantity can make a huge difference. As a result you will need very accurate scales in increments of 1gm or less.

To avoid copying, you might try finding an expert seamstress and providing her with the materials. I can identify a couple in the US for you.

Walter
This is completely random and adds no value here whatsoever, but, did you know that the masculine form of 'seamstress' is 'seamster?' I didn't. What would we do without Google?

NorthernDuke

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Sep 12, 2020
Missoula, MT
I significantly improved an existing pet product for my own use. Literally every time I use it with my pets in public, people approach me and ask questions about where they can buy one.

I'd like to commission a few prototypes for further eval, but not sure how to go about it. I took a product from one industry and combined it with another in the pet industry, so I don't think there is a single pet product manufacturer overseas who could make this. It's simple to make, but different from anything out there.

Any advice?
Try going to thomasnet.com to see what manufacturers/designers you can find. I haven't had a product made myself, so can't comment on the process, but it doesn't hurt to call and ask.
I found this company:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.