The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How best to take advantage of the economy now?

HollyD

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Hi guys I would love to chat to someone in depth so can I please ask for your opinions on what you think would be best now to invest or start up or buy/sell once the economy gets back up and running here in the UK? I know that is very broad but any ideas would be really appreciated. Thank you, Holly.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
1000s of ideas and advices in this forum! You only have to read!

HollyD

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 13, 2020
UK
1000s of ideas and advices in this forum! You only have to read!
Thats fair enough I just wondered if things had changed now with the state of the world at present thats why I asked now for the present.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Hi guys I would love to chat to someone in depth so can I please ask for your opinions on what you think would be best now to invest or start up or buy/sell once the economy gets back up and running here in the UK? I know that is very broad but any ideas would be really appreciated. Thank you, Holly.
So it depends on what you mean... Business? Investing?

We have a thread where people posted some amazing ideas:

The trick is trying to figure out what a post-CV economy will look like, and figuring out what need you can fulfill in that society. It's a goldmine. You have a pre-CV world, and you have people who are much more conscious of how sanitary things are going to be. What products can you develop that would make people feel more at ease.

If we're talking investing, Investing I think there's money to be made buying undervalued stocks. Most bluechip stocks can be got for like 50% off now.

What do you normally do (if you don't mind answering)

HollyD

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 13, 2020
UK
So it depends on what you mean... Business? Investing?

We have a thread where people posted some amazing ideas:

The trick is trying to figure out what a post-CV economy will look like, and figuring out what need you can fulfill in that society. It's a goldmine. You have a pre-CV world, and you have people who are much more conscious of how sanitary things are going to be. What products can you develop that would make people feel more at ease.

If we're talking investing, Investing I think there's money to be made buying undervalued stocks. Most bluechip stocks can be got for like 50% off now.

What do you normally do (if you don't mind answering)
Hi thanks I know its soo hard to know what to do thats why I am asking for help here if thats ok. I have just been made redundant due to the virus. I was a PA (Personal Assistant) for a Estate Agents and have worked as a PA for about 8 years now at different companies. I also have business and secretarial qualifications. I love to be organised and I love how the economy and business works and I believe I am driven. I just need to have a couple of things that make me stand out from the rest to get a break hopefully and to get ahead.
Investing is definitely something I would be interested in (I may have about £25,000) but I have no experience in this and don't want to lose my savings. Thanks, Holly.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Hi thanks I know its soo hard to know what to do thats why I am asking for help here if thats ok. I have just been made redundant due to the virus. I was a PA (Personal Assistant) for a Estate Agents and have worked as a PA for about 8 years now at different companies. I also have business and secretarial qualifications. I love to be organised and I love how the economy and business works and I believe I am driven. I just need to have a couple of things that make me stand out from the rest to get a break hopefully and to get ahead.
Investing is definitely something I would be interested in (I may have about £25,000) but I have no experience in this and don't want to lose my savings. Thanks, Holly.
Well I mean what would you actually want to do? For example, say you just inherited 100 million, so you no longer have to work. What would you do

Be careful investing.. stay away from penny stocks. I think the best book on investing is The Intelligent Investor. That's the system Warren Buffet used to make much of his money. ButI basically summed up his philosophy in my last post.. just buy undervalued stocks. Especially bluechip stocks like Amazon and Microsoft. Like there are a number of companies that took an absolute nosedive because of the virus. Some dropped like 80%. There's no way any of those companies are going to go bankrupt, and if you grab some of them now in a year they's jump substantially.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Hello Holly

Recessions tend to accelerate what is going on anyway.

Two Examples.

A) 16,000 retail shops closed in the UK last year with the shift to online. You would have heard of the death of the High Street.

B) Nearly all UK schools have been shifting to have some sort of online teaching and/or teacher resources to personalise childrens learning from the 1 - 30 model of the last hundred years to the 1 - 1 model.

So what is happening now in the UK wont reverse the trends for the above two examples, merely accelerate them.

Does that make sense?

Many companies that have offices will have shifted to Hangouts, Zoom, Microsoft Teams and when this is over may question the need for staff to be in he office. Massive saving in business rents and rates if they can downsize offices. The longer it goes on the better in a way as many staff will also question why they need to go in to, especially if productivity is not dropping. (Which it isn't)

Maybe you are familiar with using these things and can help smaller companies with them. I bet the big Virtual PA companies in the UK will be offering something to do with these things so perhaps you could find out what and jump in before all PAs do and you could be hiring a load yourself.

Dan

HollyD

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Well I mean what would you actually want to do? For example, say you just inherited 100 million, so you no longer have to work. What would you do

Be careful investing.. stay away from penny stocks. I think the best book on investing is The Intelligent Investor. That's the system Warren Buffet used to make much of his money. ButI basically summed up his philosophy in my last post.. just buy undervalued stocks. Especially bluechip stocks like Amazon and Microsoft. Like there are a number of companies that took an absolute nosedive because of the virus. Some dropped like 80%. There's no way any of those companies are going to go bankrupt, and if you grab some of them now in a year they's jump substantially.
So does bluechip mean the biggest companies then? So therefore invest in Amazon or Microsoft or Apple or Google then?

HollyD

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Hello Holly

Recessions tend to accelerate what is going on anyway.

Two Examples.

A) 16,000 retail shops closed in the UK last year with the shift to online. You would have heard of the death of the High Street.

B) Nearly all UK schools have been shifting to have some sort of online teaching and/or teacher resources to personalise childrens learning from the 1 - 30 model of the last hundred years to the 1 - 1 model.

So what is happening now in the UK wont reverse the trends for the above two examples, merely accelerate them.

Does that make sense?

Many companies that have offices will have shifted to Hangouts, Zoom, Microsoft Teams and when this is over may question the need for staff to be in he office. Massive saving in business rents and rates if they can downsize offices. The longer it goes on the better in a way as many staff will also question why they need to go in to, especially if productivity is not dropping. (Which it isn't)

Maybe you are familiar with using these things and can help smaller companies with them. I bet the big Virtual PA companies in the UK will be offering something to do with these things so perhaps you could find out what and jump in before all PAs do and you could be hiring a load yourself.

Dan
Hi Dan yes that makes total sense it really is going to change lots isn't it! I have thought about the virtual PA and this maybe an angle I can work but I have been told it is soo hard to offer yourself when just behind a computer. Maybe I need to make appointments and see some companies. I also would like to invest in something maybe as a side line so not to put all my eggs in one basket if that makes sense. Thanks, Holly.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
So does bluechip mean the biggest companies then? So therefore invest in Amazon or Microsoft or Apple or Google then?
Bluechip are solid companies unlikely to fail. Big companies that are household names. Amazon. Google. Apple. Johnson & Johnson. Big companies with long track records.

That's opposed to some startup that isn't on solid ground yet.

tpf

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Apr 8, 2016
UK (Lesta) & 日本
Hi Dan yes that makes total sense it really is going to change lots isn't it! I have thought about the virtual PA and this maybe an angle I can work but I have been told it is soo hard to offer yourself when just behind a computer. Maybe I need to make appointments and see some companies. I also would like to invest in something maybe as a side line so not to put all my eggs in one basket if that makes sense. Thanks, Holly.
If you're wanting to go down the virtual assistant route it might be a good idea to go through your experience and focus on offering a service taylored to those businesses. I guess there things specific to estate agents that you could offer (putting listings together? Dealing with the land registry? I don't know as it'd not my field) I guess you'll also have some contacts you can use to start you off.

Do this for each of the different types of business you worked for, and you'll be able to see which ones to concentrate on

It's a shame that real estate in the UK has just shut down for the moment, but that also gives you time to put together something to offer estate agents, you can then start contacting them asking if they'd be interested, and adjusting what you offer depending on their feedback.

When I think it through, if you can offer to lower their costs (so they don't need a PA) then you're on to a winner, as they'll be looking to do this. Obviously you'd be serving several estate agents at the same time, so you'd be doing alright too.

HollyD

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 13, 2020
UK
If you're wanting to go down the virtual assistant route it might be a good idea to go through your experience and focus on offering a service taylored to those businesses. I guess there things specific to estate agents that you could offer (putting listings together? Dealing with the land registry? I don't know as it'd not my field) I guess you'll also have some contacts you can use to start you off.

Do this for each of the different types of business you worked for, and you'll be able to see which ones to concentrate on

It's a shame that real estate in the UK has just shut down for the moment, but that also gives you time to put together something to offer estate agents, you can then start contacting them asking if they'd be interested, and adjusting what you offer depending on their feedback.

When I think it through, if you can offer to lower their costs (so they don't need a PA) then you're on to a winner, as they'll be looking to do this. Obviously you'd be serving several estate agents at the same time, so you'd be doing alright too.
Hi thanks soo much for this feedback I really appreciate it. I am looking into all sorts right now its a great time for me to reflect!

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
I was just going to post a new thread when I saw this. We should really think like our government at this moment: create a problem out of thin air, then find a way to have private enterprise funded to solve the problem created out of thin air themselves:

A privately funded tech company that helps student loan borrowers who can't find a way, or endure the process of finding loan forgiveness.

Just think about the ramifications, the whereabouts of how this is even a viable business idea to start with. Not bashing the guy who thought of the idea to start the company of course, but I thought how funny it is that there is a problem like this to solve at the very beginning.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.