The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hi, I'm James, trying to find how do not chase only money.

marco ita

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Jun 15, 2018
Italy
Hi, hope you will be nice with me because I am in the middle of nowhere and I really don't know if this is the right place for me. Three things I know:
I'm italian, I want to be happy, I can't thank enough mr MJ for the books TMF and Unscripted .

After reading TMF I know it's not my fault to be unsatisfied with Slowlane and Sidelane. I have ever felt like I enjoy more to be a maker/producer than to be a consumer, but family's imposed beliefs made me a paycheck to paycheck sidelane worker.

Hope to find a way here to learn how to improve myself and my self esteem.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
Hope to find a way here to learn how to improve myself and my self esteem.
Hi M - the answer to your question is in Chapter 28 of Unscripted - "Meaning-and-Purpose". Read it again, with a highlighter/pen. These are your "core reasons" for doing what you do.

There's a ton of great advise here, but I think you first need to find your "why". Without it you'll be aimless, in my opinion.

-PM

marco ita

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Jun 15, 2018
Italy
Hi M - the answer to your question is in Chapter 28 of Unscripted - "Meaning-and-Purpose". Read it again, with a highlighter/pen. These are your "core reasons" for doing what you do.

There's a ton of great advise here, but I think you first need to find your "why". Without it you'll be aimless, in my opinion.

-PM

You're right PM, since I've read "Start witth Why" S. Synek book I'm focused on find my "why".
And I want to be crystal clear: I'm not looking for someone who solve my problems, I'm looking to know how people deal with failure, fears and the shifting from side/slowlane to fastlane.

To me, the struggles come from the way I look at myself when I start a project. Fears and doubts come in and I can't manage it.
I have already read some threads here showing that I am not the only one with struggles and doubts.
Reading MJ's books made me happy because now I know I was unhappy trading 5 days to 2 and spending money for my ego.
Quick search in this forum, I found that there are other people dealing with my same fears and that if they are successful, I can find a way to be successful too.
At least I don't waste time trash talking in my mind: "you are not worth it" "who you think you are?" "Someone is doing it better" "You are do it wrong"
:):):)

MB2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016
A Tiny island down the ocean (Ceylon)
I know it's not my fault

Yes that's not your fault but if you are letting your life to go down in that road even after you know the truth, then it is your fault.Take 2000% responsibility for your life.No one gonna help you.You have to help yourself.Remember world is a selfish place.But there is a good news for us, be selfless and serve the selfish and you will have eventually helped yourself.

Hope to find a way here to learn how to improve myself and my self esteem

Man don't hope.Ditch hope and commit yourself into the process.Start adding value rightway.Go out and help someone and never ask anything in return.Learn a new skill and use that skill to help someone.Offer 100 times value than what you have been paid for.

Anyway first of all, as philp said in his post, find your purpose because it is that purpose what's gonna fuel you.

All the best for your journey.

marco ita

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Jun 15, 2018
Italy
Anyway first of all, as philp said in his post, find your purpose because it is that purpose what's gonna fuel you.

All the best for your journey.

You guys are straight to the point.
Thats awesome!

Thank you all.

DistressedDenim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 10, 2018
US
We all came here because we were chasing money. After staying for a while, your mindset goes from chasing money to adding value/filling a need/solving a problem/supplying a demand. Keep reading as much as you can and take action once you feel like you've read enough to direct your action towards the right path.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
I am in the middle of nowhere

Hi I'm in the middle of nowhere too literally (a rural area)

After staying for a while, your mindset goes from chasing money to adding value/filling a need/solving a problem/supplying a demand.

The issue, I have with adopting the midset is those can all be done for free. If people here really are about value add over Money chasing then why charge? If you code for open source software your value adding by filling a demand a need, solving a problem and no money changes hands. The best I can come up with is they don't literally mean it (otherwise they wouldn't be able to buy lambos) I've not worked out what they figuratively mean though.

DistressedDenim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 10, 2018
US
The issue, I have with adopting the midset is those can all be done for free. If people here really are about value add over Money chasing then why charge? If you code for open source software your value adding by filling a demand a need, solving a problem and no money changes hands. The best I can come up with is they don't literally mean it (otherwise they wouldn't be able to buy lambos) I've not worked out what they figuratively mean though.
>Ok, so say you have a chronic pain in your back that you can not get to go away.
>To try and get rid of the pain, you search the market for solutions to your pain.
>You come across a product that you wrap around your stomach. It has 100% positive reviews everywhere you look. It costs $30.
>In your mind, you say "hey, this product solves my problem (back pain), therefore I'm willing to spend my thirty dollars to get the solution to my problem!"

The guy that made the product added value to this customer by filling his need.

This transaction between the customer and business owner could not have happened for free, because even though that would have been "adding value", the business owner would not be able to sustain his business without profit, plus he would have had no motivation in the first place to start the business if there was no personal gain for himself.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
>d.

This transaction between the customer and business owner could not have happened for free, because even though that would have been "adding value", the business owner would not be able to sustain his business without profit, plus he would have had no motivation in the first place to start the business if there was no personal gain for himself.

If that was true, then why does open source software exist? What is the motivation behind giving it away for free? What makes a value adder who charges money ,not a money chaser? What's a typical money chaser like?

DistressedDenim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 10, 2018
US
If that was true, then why does open source software exist? What is the motivation behind giving it away for free? What makes a value adder who charges money ,not a money chaser? What's a typical money chaser like?
Why Do People Contribute to Open Source Projects?

^Those are the reasons people contribute to open source projects, so since their reason for contributing doesn't involve money, the end result is a free product.

However, the reason us Fastlaners solve problems/add value to people in a Fastlane business IS to make money. Money is the motivator behind everything we do here.

However, the point of the saying "don't chase money" is that to make money correctly, you MUST solve someone's problem.

An example of chasing money is saying "I want to make 100k this month" and in your head you start imagining ways to get it, but none of your ideas revolve around solving problems. Instead you think "hmm, to make 100k I need to create a viral product like the fidget spinner!", or you think "I need to sell courses on how to get rich in a month!".

A typical money chaser would be any guru who doesn't practice what they preach, or someone who tries to come up with the next "cool" product that doesn't really solve any problem, or a Bernie Madoff type. All of these guys eventually end up getting the opposite of what they planned to get.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.