The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Help: Should I give up?

mathnkrayon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jul 9, 2017
Philippines
Its been two months since my TMFL encounter.
At first I was filled with excitement and passion. I felt like I can make it, that I will be able to provide value then I can be a Millionaire.
My idea is to create an awesome android app that will acquire gazillion of downloads . Yes, android app because it satisfy CENTS by 80%. The moment I finished reading TMFL I started to learn how to code and create an app via Udemy, Books and thru web searches.
It was really hard since I was just using leftover times of my 9-5 job and I will try to learn until 12am. I even sacrificed my Saturdays and Sundays.

To resist the urge of giving up, I registered on Google play console and paid the $25 registration fee and I started an instagram account with now less than 1000 followers.

Last week, thinking that I already know everything about android app creation; I decided to start building my app. Then, wham I cant create it.. I cant even make it work.

Before I started to learn coding, my idea for an app is not yet in Google play since I searched for it. Now it was in Google play and someone did it perfectly. Another wham :(

Now I don't have any idea of a good android app. So, should I give up in android app creation and find another business idea or should I stay?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MarekvBeek

Every day I'm hustlin'
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 13, 2016
Netherlands
Depend... what can you make better about the App that you had in mind, that is now in Google play?

There is ALWAYS something to improve!

What other Apps can you improve or make better? I know you can.

It's hard to say if you should give up. In the end, you are the only person that can make the decision.

Before you go any further, expect set-backs and hardship. There will be more times when you doubt yourself. It's not a bad thing, just keep moving forward.

AAA -> Act, Asses and Adjust

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
You seem to be struggling with two problems. One, you don't what to build to start the business. Two, you lack experience in building it.

To solve the second problem, build some simple toy app and release them as free product.
It doesn't have to be a great idea, but it does have to be a finished product that adds something to a commonly used app.
Just choose a not-too-complex kind of app (example, todo list), build it, and add some feature it doesn't have.
Then make it a finished product. Finishing is a skill by itself.
Take it from me - I have spent years releasing nothing despite having world class skills.

To solve the first problem, just do what I wrote above. Then:
  1. Leverage the portfolio to make apps as a freelances;
  2. Find profitable apps for sale on Flippa, make a better version, and start building your portfolio of assets;
  3. Ideas will come to you naturally when you train that shipping stuff muscle in your brain.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
At first I was filled with excitement and passion. I felt like I can make it, that I will be able to provide value then I can be a Millionaire.
My idea is to create an awesome android app that will acquire gazillion of downloads . Yes, android app because it satisfy CENTS by 80%. The moment I finished reading TMFL I started to learn how to code and create an app via Udemy, Books and thru web searches.
It was really hard since I was just using leftover times of my 9-5 job and I will try to learn until 12am. I even sacrificed my Saturdays and Sundays.

To resist the urge of giving up, I registered on Google play console and paid the $25 registration fee and I started an instagram account with now less than 1000 followers.

Last week, thinking that I already know everything about android app creation; I decided to start building my app. Then, wham I cant create it.. I cant even make it work.

Before I started to learn coding, my idea for an app is not yet in Google play since I searched for it. Now it was in Google play and someone did it perfectly. Another wham :(

Now I don't have any idea of a good android app. So, should I give up in android app creation and find another business idea or should I stay?

lol It took me 2 years to develop and publish my first game Zombie Crisp on android.
The entire first year i didn't even test it on a smartphone. I just developed it in the editor on PC.
I ran into countless bugs and had to solve numerous design problems and do so much testing, but i didn't give up.
When i finally bought the cheapest android i could find to test it on, it ran like a slideshow and crashed, but i didn't give up.
After learning a ton more about optimizing, and mobile development, I finished the app and published on android.
I spent well over 1000+ hours developing it and it flopped... but i didn't give up.
I spent the next 4 months torturously trying to publish the app on iphone which was a whole new can of worms.
I ran into so many fukin problem i went hysterical, but i didn't give up.
Finally i got the app published on iphone, and it flopped, but i didn't give up.
Then i made another game and it flopped too, but i didn't give up.
I made a few other silly apps, and non of them went viral, but i didn't give up.
For awhile I even burned out and my health took a hit, but i didn't give up.
I'm working on an app at this very moment, maybe this is the one, maybe it's not, i don't know, but i do know... that i won't give up.

Are you gonna give up?

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
lol It took me 2 years to develop and publish my first game Zombie Crisp on android.
The entire first year i didn't even test it on a smartphone. I just developed it in the editor on PC.
I ran into countless bugs and had to solve numerous design problems and do so much testing, but i didn't give up.
When i finally bought the cheapest android i could find to test it on, it ran like a slideshow and crashed, but i didn't give up.
After learning a ton more about optimizing, and mobile development, I finished the app and published on android.
I spent well over 1000+ hours developing it and it flopped... but i didn't give up.
I spent the next 4 months torturously trying to publish the app on iphone which was a whole new can of worms.
Finally i got the app published on iphone, and it flopped, but i didn't give up.
I made a few other silly apps, and non of them went viral, but i didn't give up.
I'm working on an app at this very moment, maybe this is the one, maybe it's not, i don't know, but i do know... that i won't give up.

Are you gonna give up?

I needed to hear this

mathnkrayon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jul 9, 2017
Philippines

Are you gonna give up?
Read it 3x and saved it in evernote to remind me of someone is not giving up. I was shocked and still contemplating about it.

scottmsul

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
302%
Apr 29, 2017
Boulder, CO

Are you gonna give up?

This is amazing, thanks for sharing.

Just out of curiosity, have you altered your process to improve your odds of success? For example, do you have some means of validating your ideas in the market?

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
This is amazing, thanks for sharing.

Just out of curiosity, have you altered your process to improve your odds of success? For example, do you have some means of validating your ideas in the market?
sort of,
focusing on minimal viable product, no bells and whistles. testing validity by releasing and seeing if people download. Gonna use a little facebook advertising too.

Last edited:

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
You should give up, on doubting yourself. You have the drive to get this done. Just keep pressing on, one day at a time. When you get stuck, take a break, go for a walk/drive, and then come back to it with a fresh mind. Often, something clicks while you're off in deep thought (and motion).

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 6, 2016
NC

Are you gonna give up?
i have an idea for an app-based game
how much money did you spend trying to have your first game made?
how much money would you expect someone to pay you to develop a game for them?

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
i have an idea for an app-based game
how much money did you spend trying to have your first game made?
how much money would you expect someone to pay you to develop a game for them?

I spent few hundred dollars for game engine plugins to help me develop.

From what i hear, games can be a nightmare to outsource because they're such a creative process.
It all depends on how complex ur game is. If you just wanna rip off/clone existing popular games, it'd probably be cheaper.
If you wanna create new original gameplay, expect to pay a lot more.

MiguelHammond10

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jun 12, 2017
Seattle

Are you gonna give up?
Thanks for sharing this,very motivational never give up in life we learn from our mistake .

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
Are you serious? 2 months? Cry me a river.

There are people who don't see success for YEARS, not days, not months freakin' YEARS. And here you are whining about asking for permission on whether or not you should give up because you've spent a few hours after work and sacrificed your weekends for a measly 2 months.

But to answer your question, should you give up?

Yes, if you think you won't be sacrificing your weekends or free time when one of your ideas finally pick up.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
Honestly, I think the initial part of what we want to get involved in boils down to why? Why is it important for you to particularly build the app? The answer to the question will help you determine the necessity of working towards a properly, completed application which solves problems and improves the lives of others.

The next step is to continuously review your process, break down the details. I recognised you mentioned that you cannot do it - why is that? Is it because it is too complicated? What aspect are you experiencing complications with? Are there tutorials you can check out online to assist in overcoming that initial complication? Sometimes the process isn't as easy as 1, 2, 3, sometimes the process has to be broken down into 1a, 1b, 1c, then 2 etc. I know it will also feel overwhelming when you start recognising the details involved, but, based on the genuine purpose of building the app, then as unsexy as it may/can be, it ultimately becomes the drive to make it happen.

Are you gonna give up?
WOW - Your Process alone is Absolute Excellence! Keep going and getting that great work in.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hey guys I'm looking to be a good baseball player. I've read a lot of books, took courses, and even went to the batting cages.

However I went to my first game yesterday.

In my first at-bat, I struck out.

Do I give up on my dream to play baseball?

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV

If that is all it takes for you to give up, you are going to have a really hard time in this game...

That said, I would really go back and look at the CENTS framework and think about whether your idea fits or not. I was not really convinced by the way you described it...

Inuc

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jul 14, 2014
Nigeria
If you think because of this , you should give up, then guess you were never ready in the first instance. Using myself, started a music blog December 2016, build it to over 100k views in 3 months then google update affected it, adsense disabled.I gave up, started another blog hoping to replicate the success but turn out worst...now the first blog which i dump, started picking up back without doing anything to it, the second is struggling to even pick up.
So am back to the first blog, note if is did not give up on the first blog guess the progress i recorded would have tripled by now. The spirit is just to get started, since you seem not to be getting headway to the app creation, you can outsource, get t built, drive traffic to it, replicate the success and improve on your result.
Outsourcing for a start will give you the jump start you need. DON'T GIVE UP

Craig Cherlet

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
May 31, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Entrepreneurship is not a linear path. It has ups and downs, obstacles, struggles, failure, success and that can all just be in one day. Entrepreneurship is a marathon not a Sprint. Every "overnight success" was usually 10 years in the making. So don't give up on yourself, give it another go, pivot and keep trying. Don't worry about the competition, learn from them. Make an app that you like and that solves a problem that makes sense for you and solve it in your way. Also consider getting a developer to help you. Find a pro that knows what they're doing to guide you and mentor you. Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mathnkrayon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jul 9, 2017
Philippines
Thanks for all your post.

I admit it, I'm sorry. I should be ashamed of myself. It is TIME that I am afraid of. I'm afraid of seeing time pass by, seeing my parents grow old, while I'm here, doing my best but still stuck and failing.

I know Entrepreneurship needs enormous hardwork and I'm ok with it. What concerns me is time. The uncertainty of success when it comes to time.
"You are not innovating when you are not failing" (Elon Musk). Yes, failure is part of the process, we can try then fail then try then fail then try then fail. Lets try to change our process, it may somehow change the outcome. Then we fail again then we try again then we fail then eventually we die. Nada another life wasted. (Let us celebrate the life of [my name] who tried enormously and failed enormously).

F*ck this, now I'm even afraid of trying.

F*ck THIS LIFE!!!

So be it I had enough , I don't F*cking care anymore. I don't care if I will be an old trying hard loser entrepreneur as long as will not be a scripted slave all throughout my life.

Now I'm all in, I take full responsibility on this.

I WILL NOT F*ckING GIVE UP!

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
This is going to sound paradoxical...

Don't waste your time giving up, because 1, 2, or 3 years from now you are going to get an acute entrepreneuritis inflammation again, go through all the preliminary motions AGAIN, and hit a wall AGAIN AGAIN; then, quit... well... again.

We have a disease, like alcoholism, you gotta make it work now, or waste your whole life on false starts.

All of this being said, you have to get that first sale sooner rather than later. Just building apps is masturbation. Can you build something today that will sell, or better yet, can you sell something today, that you definitely have the skills to build tomorrow?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It is TIME that I am afraid of.

Don't be afraid as the TIME will pass anyhow.

Sure entrepreneurship is difficult. But you know what else is? Getting up at 6AM and going to a job you hate 5 days a week for the next 50 yrs. One path keeps you alive, the other is a suicide.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California

Why so bummed from an IDEA? If someone executing an idea is all it took to consume an entire market we'd all still be walking around with wooden sandals flopping against our feet. No shoe companies (or companies in other industries) threw up their hands at the first sign of tennis shoes and cried, "Welp, guess that's it for me!". They made them better. Marketed them better. Did what others didn't. Don't worry so much about competition, worry about the value you can add to the app marketplace that the other guys are neglecting.

It is TIME that I am afraid of. I'm afraid of seeing time pass by, seeing my parents grow old, while I'm here, doing my best but still stuck and failing.

MJ gave a really solid answer to this. I'm a time-freak, myself. I used to hate watching the hand on my watch shave off one minute of my life every sixty seconds. It was one minute I'd never get back. One minute I would later wish I had . . . but you know what sucks more? Letting your fear of losing time cost you more time. Mellow a bit, man. Patience. Practice. Persistence.

You're worrying too much about the finish line before even starting the race. Relax. You can't expect 12 month results with 2 months of effort. Developing apps takes time and real execution. You're either gonna go for it or you're not. What do you want to do?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Wow. Two whole months. The sheer willpower to hold out for that length of time. Truly amazing.

Now that that is out of the way........

Would you rather it be that just anyone could sit down and start and create an awesome app that goes viral to millions in 60 days? How crowded do you think your marketplace would be?!?!

You want it to be hard as hell to do..... every step, every hurdle, every hardship eliminates competition so that when you do finally make something it shrines for as long as possible.

Get to work.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Forgive me for sounding harsh

Last week, thinking that I already know everything about android app creation

Do you realize that even experienced software developers don't think they know everything about app development? And you think you know everything after just two months?

Then, wham I cant create it.. I cant even make it work.

Welcome to programming. Shit doesn't work. You try something. You try again. Shit still doesn't work. You screw around with it over and over until you find you missed a semicolon somewhere. Happens to everyone. You can prevent errors only by constantly testing your code as you write it and keeping it well documented, otherwise go over it all again once you realize it doesn't work.

Yeah and Facebook was basically a ripoff of MySpace

What you do totally depends on you. Are you going to give up just because it's hard?

Coding is no picnic. I know many who have tried and failed only to never pick it up again. Software dev is one of the highest paying professions for a reason, and that's because most people can't do it. Not so much because of natural ability, but because of perseverance. It's quite frustrating to be confronted time after time with a new problem you don't understand, that's why most will go back to a job they hate while spending their free time watching TV and going out drinking. Trust me, if you give up, no one will blame you.

I'm not telling you to make an app. It's not everyone's thing. Consider if you're on the wrong path, or if you lack the perseverance to take on anything which requires you stepping out of your comfort zone.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.