The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Help me Pick a Name - Win $100, No, $200!

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
k9friendfinder.com ;)

The ads could be amazing!!

Note: Don't do this! (fake edit, just in case!)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jakko

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 2, 2007
How about pawsjoy.com, petsworld.com, peppybuddy.com, peppyathome.com, or petslively.com?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I def wouldn't make it specific to dogs and certainly wouldn't have "the" on the name. It's got to be something someone can say to someone like "I lost fido, log into my xxxxx account and see where he is"

Jimmyy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 19, 2013
Wildfluff.com

Could have like a puppy howling with a shadow of a wolf on the wall behind or a kitten with the shadow of majestic Tiger. Gives the image of strength and vitality in your cuddly little pets heritage (and err..the propensity for wandering off round the neighbourhood :rolleyes:). Not very professional sounding but more brand-able than generic pet stuff I guess. It's that kind of stupid stuff that gets shared around FB and Reddit a lot.

images

WoofurrBro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Feb 18, 2014
Latvia
doggbudd.com
I think I would be more prone to remember the name because of the repeating ggs and bbs. It feels brand-like to me.
"We're here to help."

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Ok - quick update.

I've gotten feedback on the list of names, and found a few that most liked. The problem is that these domains are taken. Surprise, surprise, the Pet vertical is extremely competitive.

However, I've reached out to the owners of the domains to negotiate a sale. I'll keep this thread updated, and as soon as I am able to purchase a domain, announce the winner.

Of course, you can keep the ideas coming. :)

Ray Noppe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Apr 10, 2014
London, UK
Most of the names on the list so far will be like throwing mud against the wall and seeing what sticks. Choosing a business name is one thing and choosing a domain name is another. They don't have to be the same.

You have to distinct offerings:
1. Find a lost pet products (try and wrap the service as a product as well)
2. Pet supplements
With maybe a 3rd (Pet insurance)

Now these are great vertical markets that compliment each other but should be run separate. It is so cheap to setup websites using concrete5/shopify it doesn't matter having more than one. Yes, you will have to run two blogs as even thou the offerings are for pets the functions are different. Keeping to one theme per blog will increase your Google relevance, very good thing as it will bring targeted traffic and lower your cost per click on adwords. You can cross promote from one site to the next in the form of a vertical market or logical next step (insurance comes in to play as well here).

As for the name per site. Do your research and don't just guess, only broke people do that. Fire up google keyword tool and see what people are searching for. I did a quick search on: lost pet, find my pet and the following keywords stood out.

lost and found 40,500
lost dogs home 22000
pet finder 74,000
puppy finder 45,00
gps tracking 33,100 - presume you use gps to recover the pets?

Now out of the list "pet finder" pops up, it is what you do.

Quick check shows the following available
PetFinderUS.com - regional, can be boston, london etc
PetFinderGPSTracking.com

These names will rank well as they contain your top keywords in the url - BIG BONUS

Do the same for your supplements site and you will be steps ahead on your competitors.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Thanks Ray. I'm building a funnel, not running seperate ecommerce stores at the moment, which is why I need an all encompassing brand name.

I'm not going to run two blogs, two brand names, and all that other crap. I want my customers to know that these offers are from my brand, but having other subsidiary brands is no big deal.

If you aren't sure what a funnel is, search for Ryan Deiss's funnel model. It will blow your mind.

Ray Noppe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Apr 10, 2014
London, UK
If you aren't sure what a funnel is, search for Ryan Deiss's funnel model. It will blow your mind.

Know his funnel very well. Prefer the Ascending Transaction Model from Daniel Priestly - more straight to the point and works offline and online.

Funnels work whether you do one or more domains. Some of the best funnels around is multiple sites. Just look at this forum, part of the Fast lane funnel. Targeted keyword domains for parts of the funnel, ideally creating a multi dimension funnel catching your audience from different angles. As for your umbrella brand apply the search results research for that as well. It works. Regardless of what you want to do if your brand name says what you offer your are one up. Else use the disrupt technique, off the wall name and throw lots of money into branding.

I'm curious as to your marketing strategy towards your funnel. PM me, would love to have a chat.

Ray

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Quick update: the name I want - doesn't look like the owner is going to be willing to part with it for less than $10k or more.

So here's a new a twist (thanks @Vigilante)

Can we come up with a name that's UNIQUE, like:
Woot
Amazon
Yahoo
Zappos
Kazaa
Tripod
Indygogo

I'm going to add a little more incentive. $200 to someone who comes up with a unique name that I use.

Ready? Go!

nitrousflame

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 7, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
These don't necessarily follow the unique/zappos/etc style, but figured I'd toss some quick suggestions into the ring. All appear to be available or for sale <$100

tendrpet.com (taken, but apparently for sale on godaddy for $70?)
pettendr.com
okgopet.com / okaygopet.com
okpetme.com / okaypetme.com
petmeok.com / petmeokay.com
petmepetme.com
ploppetz.com (ploppets.com is taken)
petlement / petlements.com
supplepet.com
petpopp.com
plzpet.com / petplz.com (surprised these are available)
verypetwow.com (the meme is strong in this one)

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Getting the right name can be painful. Your pain today will be rewarded tomorrow.

These below are available for hand registration. I also sent a couple.

McDogg

McMuttly

MaxiMutt

MaxiWag

MaxiPup

SgtDog

familydognetwork

famdognet

doggnet

gustavo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 31, 2014
Fleaz(s)
Critters(z) or Critz(like the Ritz Carlton but for 'critters)

PetWagn (like tail wagging but also like a Wagon)
Spotz or Spots
Fetchr
Treatz (like doggie treats but can apply to all animals)

I honestly like to end business names with a "z" it seems more playful and fun. IMO

TheDoghouse

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Jason, might help to use a thesaurus,

thesaurus.com/browse/seek

Look for words that are related to a meaning you are trying to convey, marry those words up with pet, narrow them down to short and brand-able, and if none are available you can work off that list to come up with unique names.

Being creative with names is tough when you are limited to whats available or cheap to buy. But this way, you are starting top down knowing you are going to convey a meaning. If you got amazon.com today, i wouldn't use it for your business because it takes years upon years to get that kind of recognition to a name that doesn't relate at all to the business.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.