The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

heavy_industry Q2 health improvement

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
Q2 Goals:
  • conquer caffeine addiction
  • conquer nicotine addiction
  • score +95% diet adherence (was ~70% in Q1)

Strategy:
  • Do not buy food that is not part of the diet.
  • Do not cheat on the F*cking diet anymore:
    • Time is running out.
    • I want to reach my fitness goals in my 20s, not 80s.
  • Taper off both caffeine and nicotine every week.
  • Nicotine is being taken via vaping, which means I can easily measure and change the concentration.
  • Gradual weekly decrease of intake:
    • Coffee (teaspoons / day): 4, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1, freedom.
    • Nicotine (mg): 4, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1, freedom.

Note about caffeine:
  • Quitting caffeine has been the goal of Q1, which I failed.
  • I did however manage to reduce the intake by more than 50%
  • I have lost the battle for Q1, but I will win the war.

Timeframe:
  • April 17 - July 2
  • 11 weeks
  • Will post a weekly summary every Sunday, first one being on April 23

Debrief:

I've been insanely addicted to both caffeine and nicotine for a number of years.

Both these substances are great, and can improve your health and cognition. Nicotine by itself may have neuroprotective effects.

But if you don't use them in a smart way, you will become addicted and all the health and productivity benefits are lost, and you simply have to keep doing them just to return to baseline.

That's a very stupid thing to do, and that's what I have been doing for many years.

And now it's time to stop.

For full disclosure: I do plan on re-introducing both stimulants back into my workflow later this year, but will do so in a very strategic manner and never allow physiological tolerance to develop (what people refer to as "addiction"). As @PureA said, these nootropics really get a bad rap, and there actually is a smart way of using them, so you can have your cake and eat it too.

After having a brief discussion with @Kak , I've first decided to quit nicotine cold turkey yesterday.
Unbearable withdrawal occurred soon after. Was no longer able to think clearly or get out of bed. Massive psychological turmoil.

This was a very humiliating defeat, but at least now I understand the severity of the problem.

So I decided to start tapering off nicotine now, as opposed to Q3. Thanks for the advice @Kak

It was through a bad process that I got to this point.
I will use a good process to solve the problem.

The same process-oriented thinking that I am using in business, now applies to my health and wellbeing strategy.

Let's do this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Give $45,000 to BizyDad. If you fail to reach your goals by X date, you give him permission to burn the notes in front of you or do as he deem fit, such as donating to charity or splurge.

Then repeat the process until you reached your goals.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
Give $45,000 to BizyDad. If you fail to reach your goals by X date, you give him permission to burn the notes in front of you or do as he deem fit, such as donating to charity or splurge.

@BizyDad is going to spend all the $45k on sports supplements and protein powder long before I'll give permission to use the money.

I'm afraid to try this experiment because he is already too jacked and muscular. He is turning heads anywhere we go, and already receives too much attention from the ladies. It got to the point where it became a distraction for our business.

All that thanks to the training program™ (insert sales pitch & medical disclaimer here).

Last edited:

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
Week 1/11
  • Nicotine: 4mg
  • Coffee: more than 4tsp / day
  • Diet adherence: 3/7 days

Notes:
I went high-carbs for a few days to teach the window-cleaning bodybuilding crew how to cook rice (@piano @constant @Spenny ).

It's important to note that @Spenny is not involved in the window cleaning business, but his supervision was necessary to ensure maximum rice quality.

Jokes aside, this is the last time I deviate from the diet. Looking forward to having an amazing Q2.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

@BizyDad is going to spend all the $45k on sports supplements and protein powder long before I'll give permission to use the money.

I'm afraid to try this experiment because he is already too jacked and muscular. He is turning heads anywhere we go, and already receives too much attention from the ladies. It got to the point where it became a distraction for our business.

All that thanks to the training program™ (insert sales pitch & medical disclaimer here).

Apparently you guys don't know what Bizydad spends 50K on. Hypothetically...

farahead

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Feb 25, 2023
Slovakia
Q2 Goals:
  • conquer caffeine addiction
  • conquer nicotine addiction
  • score +95% diet adherence (was ~70% in Q1)

Strategy:
  • Do not buy food that is not part of the diet.
  • Do not cheat on the F*cking diet anymore:
    • Time is running out.
    • I want to reach my fitness goals in my 20s, not 80s.
  • Taper off both caffeine and nicotine every week.
  • Nicotine is being taken via vaping, which means I can easily measure and change the concentration.
  • Gradual weekly decrease of intake:
    • Coffee (teaspoons / day): 4, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1, freedom.
    • Nicotine (mg): 4, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1, freedom.

Note about caffeine:
  • Quitting caffeine has been the goal of Q1, which I failed.
  • I did however manage to reduce the intake by more than 50%
  • I have lost the battle for Q1, but I will win the war.

Timeframe:
  • April 17 - July 2
  • 11 weeks
  • Will post a weekly summary every Sunday, first one being on April 23

Debrief:

I've been insanely addicted to both caffeine and nicotine for a number of years.

Both these substances are great, and can improve your health and cognition. Nicotine by itself may have neuroprotective effects.

But if you don't use them in a smart way, you will become addicted and all the health and productivity benefits are lost, and you simply have to keep doing them just to return to baseline.

That's a very stupid thing to do, and that's what I have been doing for many years.

And now it's time to stop.

For full disclosure: I do plan on re-introducing both stimulants back into my workflow later this year, but will do so in a very strategic manner and never allow physiological tolerance to develop (what people refer to as "addiction"). As @PureA said, these nootropics really get a bad rap, and there actually is a smart way of using them, so you can have your cake and eat it too.

After having a brief discussion with @Kak , I've first decided to quit nicotine cold turkey yesterday.
Unbearable withdrawal occurred soon after. Was no longer able to think clearly or get out of bed. Massive psychological turmoil.

This was a very humiliating defeat, but at least now I understand the severity of the problem.

So I decided to start tapering off nicotine now, as opposed to Q3. Thanks for the advice @Kak

It was through a bad process that I got to this point.
I will use a good process to solve the problem.

The same process-oriented thinking that I am using in business, now applies to my health and wellbeing strategy.

Let's do this.
Im gonna adapt this system, thank you for sharing! I will use it for my social media addiction.

farahead

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Feb 25, 2023
Slovakia
The reason why coffee has so many great benefits is NOT because of caffeine. Coffee WITHOUT caffeine has same positive effects as normal coffe (aside from increasing energy and reducing tiredness i guess), so maybe switching to caffeine-free coffee could be good solution and it would not be trying to break a habit but to change old one.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
It's important to note that @Spenny is not involved in the window cleaning business, but his supervision was necessary to ensure maximum rice quality.
I can confirm that the rice quality was up to standard. We at Spenny Incorporated take pride in ensuring rice is succulent and juicy to eat.

Yula

Go Small, Then Big or Go Home
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Mar 26, 2021
Netherlands
Good luck on smashing your goals for Q2!

Something you could try is cold showers and/or ice baths. It helps me tremendously whenever I have mental fog, feel groggy or feel like I'll fall back in a previous bad habit.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
Week 2/11
  • Nicotine: < 4mg
  • Coffee: < 4tsp / day
  • Diet adherence: 7/7 days

Notes:

Perfect diet adherence, except for 1 bowl of noodles. :love:
That was the last one, I promise.

Everything is going great and I'm feeling awesome.

Prdgy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Mar 27, 2023
Week 2/11
  • Nicotine: < 4mg
  • Coffee: < 4tsp / day

Notes:

Perfect diet adherence, except for 1 bowl of noodles. :love:
That was the last one, I promise.

Everything is going great and I'm feeling awesome.
Really proud of you bro, keep grinding :clap::

How'd you manage that diet adherence? (sorry if you've answered this before, I didn't read the whole thread) I find myself always sneaking away a cheat meal at least once a week that pushes me past my caloric goal. I think it might have to do with eating calorie-dense but low volume foods, or the spacing of my meals, but I'm not sure.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
How'd you manage that diet adherence?
  • I actually love the diet (keto, custom made recipes by me)
  • I only eat 1 meal a day, might switch to 3 meals / day to put on more muscle
  • I do not have any cheat foods in my house.
    • The fridge only contains healthy foods for the next 1-2 days
    • I have to go to the store to buy more food, which adds a lot of friction between me and the cheat meal
  • I'm starting to have great results in terms of mental clarity, which makes me very motivated
  • I am reminding myself that this will also build discipline, which is the overarching goal of this whole process
  • I have lost the battle of Q1 with only 70% diet adherence, and I am determined to not let this happen again

So yeah, I'm very motivated to do this, I've set up my environment properly, and I'm looking forward to gaining the benefits.

I'm relying on the same mindset that I use in business, and all my other endeavors:

Shut up and execute the process.
Success will happen.

Prdgy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Mar 27, 2023
I only eat 1 meal a day, might switch to 3 meals / day to put on more muscle
Damn! How'd you manage to get enough protein in one meal???

The fridge only contains healthy foods for the next 1-2 days
I have to go to the store to buy more food, which adds a lot of friction between me and the cheat meal
I'll see if I can talk about this type of thing with my parents. Them buying unhealthy foods is probably the cue to me eating it, looking back. Thanks!

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I recommend throwing in a saturday cheat day.

I stick to my diet and I've lost 30 lbs in the last couple months. Never was "fat", but my goal is extremely low fat, where my stomach has "dick skin" and veins.

I eat every possible food that I want with 0 rules on saturdays. The rest of the week is absolute discipline. It helps keep my metabolism up and have energy throughout the week too. Lifts are going up, I feel great.

The diet is the slow-carb diet which is in the 4-hr body by tim ferris.

It's easy to stick to something if you can just tell yourself "save it for saturday". That's when you go out with people and do the social eating anyways. Just went to cheesecake factory and had a big plate of pasta and cheesecake. But all this week it's lean meat, no sugar at all, and veggies. Highly recommended.

For your other things I would give yourself a set schedule for when you're allowed to do it. Like once a week, once a month, once a year, etc. Then taper off that way.

I don't smoke cigs but if I'm in a third world country doing some weird adventure, I do.

It'll be easy to remember when you want something "It's okay, I'll have it on (later set date)".

It's a lot different that saying "for the rest of my life, I will never ever do x". Good luck.

And if it's an in-between, where you just need to do it less, it's much easier when it's regulated and scheduled instead of just relying on constant discipline all the time.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
Damn! How'd you manage to get enough protein in one meal???
Welcome to the fight club.

As no one else has asked.... :)

Dan
I double checked and there are 11 weeks between those dates :hilarious:

If you're referring to the fact that it should have started at the beginning of April, that's because I took some time to think thoroughly, so I set the appropriate goals for this quarter.

I don't smoke cigs but if I'm in a third world country doing some weird adventure, I do.
I have to see this :rofl:

Thanks for the tips @Johnny boy

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
Week 3/11
  • Nicotine: 3 mg
  • Coffee: 2 tsp / day

Notes:

Second week of perfect diet compliance.

Two weeks ahead of schedule on caffeine removal - did 2 tsp instead of 3.

Trained very hard and felt amazing.

Also did a full day fast ~40 hours yesterday. I felt great, but slept very poorly because I had too much energy during the night, due to increased cortisol and adrenaline.

As I will get adapted to extended fasting once again, my nervous system will stop prompting me to "go hunting and find some food", and I will sleep better in the future.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
Week 4/11
  • Nicotine: 6 mg
  • Coffee: 2-1 tsp / day
  • Diet adherence: 5/7 days

Notes:

I traveled at the beginning of the week, and deviated from the diet, but now I'm back on the path.

Next week should be the first caffeine-free week. I'm removing coffee ahead of the schedule so I can get it done and have singular focus on removing the F*cking nicotine.

A bit disappointed with my progress, but I don't care.

PROCESS. Step by step I will conquer my goals.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
Week 5/11
  • Nicotine: 4 mg
  • Coffee: 0

Notes:

First coffee-free week. I can't believe I've made it.

However I've had some bits of dark chocolate on some days. Will try to remove that as well.

Every week brings me closer to my goal.

Execute the process.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
Why don't you use nicotine patches/gum? so, so much better than vaping
If I have some nicotine gums on hand, I'll eat them like candy.

In fact, this is how I got addicted to nicotine in the first place. I was not a smoker.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
The beginning of week 6: Quick adjustment to the plan

Today I woke up at noon with a massive headache and lack of energy. My sleep schedule is completely F*cked.

Now I am having some black tea just to be able to wake up and start my work.

What I am doing with my sleep is stupid, and unacceptable. I am setting myself up for failure.

And this changes right now.

Sleep protocol to follow:
  • Wake up protocol
    • Get out of the F*cking bed at 6AM - I DON"T CARE
    • Go out and walk in the sun to reset circadian rhythm
    • Cold shower
  • Going to bed protocol
    • Cold, dark, quiet bedroom
    • Reading 1-2 hours before bed to relax and fatigue my mind
    • In bed at 10PM

Last edited:

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
Week 6/11
  • Nicotine: 2 mg
  • Coffee: SUBSTANCE ABUSE
  • Diet adherence: 6/7 days

Notes:

Failed to adhere to the new sleep schedule (6AM), but I did follow the wake-up protocol:
  • cold shower
  • go out in the sun every morning

In addition to that, I've got two red light bulbs and increased my sun exposure throughout the day.

Happiness and energy levels skyrocketed. I've never felt better.

I feel like an idiot for saying this, but I will give up on removing caffeine for now. I will focus solely on:
  • diet & fasting
  • wake up protocol
  • REMOVING NICOTINE

If by the end of Q2 the dragon is slain, and I've completely removed nicotine from my life, that's a WIN in my book.

There will still be Q3 and Q4 of 2023.

One goal at a time. Every step will bring me closer to victory.

constant

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Nov 8, 2022
Week 6/11
  • Nicotine: 2 mg
  • Coffee: SUBSTANCE ABUSE
  • Diet adherence: 6/7 days

Notes:

Failed to adhere to the new sleep schedule (6AM), but I did follow the wake-up protocol:
  • cold shower
  • go out in the sun every morning

In addition to that, I've got two red light bulbs and increased my sun exposure throughout the day.

Happiness and energy levels skyrocketed. I've never felt better.

I feel like an idiot for saying this, but I will give up on removing caffeine for now. I will focus solely on:
  • diet & fasting
  • wake up protocol
  • REMOVING NICOTINE

If by the end of Q2 the dragon is slain, and I've completely removed nicotine from my life, that's a WIN in my book.

There will still be Q3 and Q4 of 2023.

One goal at a time. Every step will bring me closer to victory.
I would recommend trying to shift the sleep schedule to 5am or 7am.

I used to wake up at 6am for years and I would feel extremely lethargic every morning, but when I wake up at 5 am or 7 am I feel great.

Just give it a try and see if it helps you too.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Coffee: SUBSTANCE ABUSE
Really sorry, but I lol'ed at this.

I feel like an idiot for saying this, but I will give up on removing caffeine for now.
Try not to feel like an idiot. Caffeine is my kryptonite. I've "quit" so many times, but I always seem to end up letting it back into my life. "Quitting caffeine" sounds so much easier and simpler than it really is. I think switching your focus to nicotine for now is a great idea. One day you'll be free from both caffeine and nicotine - can't wait to hear about that day!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.