The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Healthcare-the final fig leaf.....

Starsky

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Aug 29, 2007
As i was driving home, thinking about what stops people from transitioning from a job (that they hate) to minding their "own business".. In most cases its healthcare. Im sure most of us when we were single/no kids etc didnt give healthcare a second thought, however those that have a family have to consider those costs.. which are rising unfortunately..

Those on the board that are fulltime S's,B's & I's how are you handling the issues of healthcare & what path(s) or recommendations do you have in that regard.

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Interesting point. My wife says that, even when we become really rich, one of us will have to have a job in order to have health insurance. I know this is a misconception and I do know why is so important to her (one of her friends had a problem with this... both spouses wanted to go independent but couldn't get Health Insurance as one of their kids has a condition that made him un-insurable).

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
Our corporation has a healthcare plan for all full time employees and including officers. We are a small group and of course our rates are not as great as if we were in a large group but we do OK.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I'm not sure I fully understand. I looked on the internet and got in touch with a few health insurance brokers. I found a good deal for about $130/mo. I understand that it helps that I am single and still in my 20's. I was also overweight and not in the best of health. As far as I understand Health insurance is less then $500/mo for a family. Wouldn't that be just one multi-unit complex and your covered?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ProInvestor

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 15, 2007
Australia
MiniMicrosoft (http://minimsft.blogspot.com) made a comment about this issue.

Many people remain at Microsoft mainly because of health insurance....
BUT here was a anonymous comment left on his blog:

"I left Microsoft one year ago. my biggest fear when I made the decision to leave was the health benefit change. As you mention, no one even comes close to what you get at MSFT. Well, let me share my experience with you. Background - I have 3 kids and I am 35. I left as level 63 and made back then about $115K a year. I left because I got an offer (that most people at MS could get but just don't try) of about $180 a year.
My total out of pocket in health is about $1000 a year. So the math becomes very simple. you CAN MAKE much more outside of MS. There is so much going on outside.... benefits at MS are OK but JUST OK."

You can join associations for health care benefits as well (like independent contractors - Realtors, etc).

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
I'm not sure I fully understand. I looked on the internet and got in touch with a few health insurance brokers. I found a good deal for about $130/mo. I understand that it helps that I am single and still in my 20's. I was also overweight and not in the best of health. As far as I understand Health insurance is less then $500/mo for a family. Wouldn't that be just one multi-unit complex and your covered?

If you have pre existing conditions such as diabetes and you are not with a group they can choose to write care for this condition out of your policy. Also as you get older your insurance cost can skyrocket. We switched carriers this year because they wanted 789.00 per month per person over 40. So a couple in their 40's would be almost 1600.00 per month. This is a pretty substantial cost, yes you can control it by getting new insurance every couple of years but it is a hassle. But the biggest thing is the pre-existing conditions clause. Once upon a time I had cancer that was 10 years ago and they can no longer code against me for this but if I would not have been with a group after that treatment I could have been denied cancer coverage for up to 8 years. So yea, you are lucky because you are young & healthy but I had cancer in my 30's so it can happen even when you are relatively young.

Janet

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.