• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Healthcare-the final fig leaf.....

Discussion in 'Asset Protection/Taxes/Legal' started by Starsky, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Starsky

Starsky New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $45
    As i was driving home, thinking about what stops people from transitioning from a job (that they hate) to minding their "own business".. In most cases its healthcare. Im sure most of us when we were single/no kids etc didnt give healthcare a second thought, however those that have a family have to consider those costs.. which are rising unfortunately..

Those on the board that are fulltime S's,B's & I's how are you handling the issues of healthcare & what path(s) or recommendations do you have in that regard.

Thanks

2. andviv

andviv Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $3,421
    Interesting point. My wife says that, even when we become really rich, one of us will have to have a job in order to have health insurance. I know this is a misconception and I do know why is so important to her (one of her friends had a problem with this... both spouses wanted to go independent but couldn't get Health Insurance as one of their kids has a condition that made him un-insurable).

3. nomadjanet

nomadjanet Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $202
    Our corporation has a healthcare plan for all full time employees and including officers. We are a small group and of course our rates are not as great as if we were in a large group but we do OK.

4. Bilgefisher

Bilgefisher Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $413
    I'm not sure I fully understand. I looked on the internet and got in touch with a few health insurance brokers. I found a good deal for about $130/mo. I understand that it helps that I am single and still in my 20's. I was also overweight and not in the best of health. As far as I understand Health insurance is less then $500/mo for a family. Wouldn't that be just one multi-unit complex and your covered?

5. ProInvestor

ProInvestor New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $65
    MiniMicrosoft (http://minimsft.blogspot.com) made a comment about this issue.

Many people remain at Microsoft mainly because of health insurance....
    BUT here was a anonymous comment left on his blog:

"I left Microsoft one year ago. my biggest fear when I made the decision to leave was the health benefit change. As you mention, no one even comes close to what you get at MSFT. Well, let me share my experience with you. Background - I have 3 kids and I am 35. I left as level 63 and made back then about $115K a year. I left because I got an offer (that most people at MS could get but just don't try) of about $180 a year.
    My total out of pocket in health is about $1000 a year. So the math becomes very simple. you CAN MAKE much more outside of MS. There is so much going on outside.... benefits at MS are OK but JUST OK."

You can join associations for health care benefits as well (like independent contractors - Realtors, etc).

6. nomadjanet

nomadjanet Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $202
    If you have pre existing conditions such as diabetes and you are not with a group they can choose to write care for this condition out of your policy. Also as you get older your insurance cost can skyrocket. We switched carriers this year because they wanted 789.00 per month per person over 40. So a couple in their 40's would be almost 1600.00 per month. This is a pretty substantial cost, yes you can control it by getting new insurance every couple of years but it is a hassle. But the biggest thing is the pre-existing conditions clause. Once upon a time I had cancer that was 10 years ago and they can no longer code against me for this but if I would not have been with a group after that treatment I could have been denied cancer coverage for up to 8 years. So yea, you are lucky because you are young & healthy but I had cancer in my 30's so it can happen even when you are relatively young.

Janet

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.