The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Have A Niche In The Pacific Northwest!

Justin West

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 3, 2012
I'm new to the Fastlane, and this is my first post. I live in the Pacific NW, a college student just finishing up my degree. I must add, that I wasted a lot of time, money, and other resources trying to get this degree, so please no lectures on that. Well I recently opened a business in the Seattle area, selling Italian Ice. If you are familiar with this then you must be from New Jersey, New York, Chicago or Florida. Haha. This product is pretty popular in those areas. But pretty much non existent where I live. This is my first year of operation and we have started out selling this product at Local Farmer's Markets and a few small one day festivals. The summer has not yet kicked off, but it is looking promising. I am receiving really good responses and feedback from customers, people asking me where my permanent location is, and this and that. The ultimate goal for me at this time is to set up in a mall location (Kiosk) where there will be a lot of foot traffic and opportunity. That is the short term goal anyways. The long term goal is to be fully automated in Washington State. From reading another post, I realized all I really have done, was buy myself a job. I am spending way too much time and resources at trying to make this business work. As I said, the summer has not yet kicked off, so I have not made as much money as I would have liked to. To be honest, the money that I have made is extra, because the events I have been in was not planned for this summer's venue. I am looking for ideas and advice on how i can fully automate this business, or expand, or even get off the ground, higher than where I am at now.

I know all about the Business planning process, setting goals, understanding the financial side of business, and whatever else could be learned within a 4 year business degree. What I lack is the real world business skills and experience. The good o' know how and tricks of the trade. Learning business in the real world I guess, those things you can't learn from a class room. I already made a few mistakes and learned from them.

Anyways, this is my first post to kick off my tenure here at the FASTLANE! Prior thanks for the advice.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
I think too many people focus too much on buying yourself a job. The reality is that any business can become fastlane if executed properly and the experience is priceless. What you will learn from running your italian ice stand will most likely be more usefull and substantial then College and will pay you to do it.

A few ideas:

You could look for a cheap parking lot to store a trailer that can act as your perminent location on the cheap. We have something like that in my town that sells snow cones.

You could look into private labeling and build yourself a brand. Then sell wholesale to local restaurantes, ice cream trucks, vendors, etc.

Sticking with the same concept you could build a brand and open up small kiosks in malls, out side ball parks etc.

If it was me I would keep doing what you are doing while looking into wholesale/ distribution opportunities and go from their. If you think you can make enough money with a store front go for it but you might find that the wholesale side might be more profitable with less risk. This is something you will have to feel out.

PS I have never seen the owners of the snowcone stand there. It seems like they hire a highschooler for minimum wage to run it for them. I am sure you will have the usual problems with labor but its something to think about.

Congrats and good luck

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I'm from New York and I actually happen to know the creator of the Uncle Louie G's Franchise. He was a sanitation worker who retired really quick after going the franchise route. Now, in the NY/NJ area, you cant go more than a few miles without seeing an Uncle Louie G's. Especially as you get closer to the shore. I haven't spoke to him in years but I'm sure he's very happy, sitting back, collecting his cut every time someone buys into the Louie G franchise!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
WOW I had never heard of Uncle Louie G's before.

I took a look they have 60 locations with a bunch here in FL.

Franchises like these are a complete mystery to me like so many things in business.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.