The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Speaking of climate and sunshine, this is a saying of mine that I like repeating to my 3 boys: "When you have no money, it's never sunny."

I understand your point, and it's valid, but I was just trying to show the importance of having money and how it shapes one's outlook on life.

Definitely.

However given a choice, I'd rather be broke and struggling in sunny Arizona than dreary Gary Indiana. One can be motivating to change your money situation, while the other, not so much.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
I think everyone should move to somewhere they feel optimistic about and not just stick it out where they are because they feel obligated to stay.

Just the other day I was conversing with a friend about how much he hates the winter. I told him to move somewhere without winter, said "yeah" but totally didn't believe that it was actually possible to get up and move.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Then can we say California is the location of choice?

Weather yes.

For business, no.

CALI is a punitive tax state, not withstanding "exit taxes" and bunch of other harsh regulations.

Set up shop in CA and you're instantly targeted as another cow to be milked.

I'm surprised more tech companies haven't left yet, but perhaps attracting cheap H1B labor in a desirable climate is the offset.

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
Definitely.

However given a choice, I'd rather be broke and struggling in sunny Arizona than dreary Gary Indiana. One can be motivating to change your money situation, while the other, not so much.

I will disagree slightly here (though I understand your point).

I think your character was carved in this process. I will use 'what if' or 'if' for a good reason. I believe that if you hadn't experience dreary Chicago weather (and all these 'inconveniences' in your life and MLMs etc...) you wouldn't have been where you are. I know it is a big 'IF' here. I think this feeling of misery created an urge inside of you, that you wanted the sun and warmth and to better your life. And it was so deep that even now when I read what you wrote I can feel it...

Maybe if you had been born in a sunny city of Arizona you wouldn't have developed this drive for change (out of comfort). Or you might have achieved it years earlier...

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I don't even realize that the weather is bad/cold, because I'm inside all day with the heater on, grinding it out in front of the computer.

The best depression medicine is profits.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ellenit

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 12, 2021
Hello!
In my opinion, it really depends on how important the weather is to you. I moved from sunny Northern Mexico to gray and cold Berlin. I was very happy in Mexico, but a higher quality of life (safety, higher income, ORDER!) was more important to me than 340 sunny days a year.
Often Germans have asked me "How could you leave Mexico for Germany???" because they all love warm weather and at any opportunity, they take a plane to a faraway country with a nice beach. But do they emmigrate? Do they leave Germany for good? Nooooo!!! Because the standard of living here is pretty good and not even the sun can compete with the feeling of safety and peace.
Sure the weather has an effect on our mood, so I'd say, change it if you can! But it is a secondary thing anyway. More important is to ask yourself if there are other things within you that won't let you enjoy life as much. Maybe you can practice looking at the positive sides of things and do some inner work. Because in the end, joy, peace, and satisfaction don't depend on external factors but on our perceptions.

Wish you the best!

Ellenit

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Summer is slowly coming to an end in Poland and I'm already starting to feel depressed. It sounds like a first world problem but each time fall approaches, it provokes a deep trauma in me that makes me think of death. No amount of "spiritual" work helps me overcome the deep, deep hate I have for the fall and winter and the sadness it causes.

Within a week or two I won't be able to swim anymore in the lake (it's already much colder). Nights are getting chillier already. Sun is lower in the sky and in a few days it'll be too low to make the body produce vitamin D (the angle needs to be above 50 degrees). Before I know it, it'll be September and even if it's going to be sunny, the days will keep getting shorter and colder and I'll have to wait EIGHT f***ing months for good weather again.

This year I plan to leave for the fall and return for Christmas and then hopefully leave again in January but it all depends on the BS restrictions.

@Paul David how are you?
It's started raining here in Alaska. Mom used to tell me every August that it will rain until it snows in October. She's been gone for years, but she's still right. The leaves will start dropping in the next couple of weeks. The berries are starting to ripen as our summer winds down. The salmon are running up the rivers and moose hunting season will start soon. Our first good freeze is about 6 weeks away. Our daylight hours are getting shorter and shorter every day. By Christmas we'll have some dusky light for 5 or 6 hours per day. BUT, it's been a glorious summer -- the green of the plants was so intense that it almost hurt my eyes to look at them. And life is good!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
For anyone in the US complaining about the lack of sunshine there:

FMNXiF5XsAQtAll.jpg

I once did research on it and found that even the least sunny cities in the US like Seattle are still WAY sunnier than most places in Europe.

This is why a thread like this usually mostly attracts people from Europe. This is also why many people in the US won't be able to relate because no matter where you live, it's still probably at least double as sunny as it is in most places in Europe.

The map above doesn't feature Canada but a large part of Canada is also sunnier than many places in Europe.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
What kills me every year in Ireland is that you get through winter and then March comes and the sun starts to creep out and you're thinking yes here we go, here's the good weather. Then 2 weeks later we somehow go back into winter and it's freezing again.

It really brings my mood down and I feel like doing nothing until it gets warm again.

Definitely not sure Ireland is where I'll live my whole life and nowhere in Europe really appeals to me.

KindlyCutTheCrap

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Oct 13, 2022
"Just" my girlfriend, friends, and family. A few years ago I lived in a warm and sunny place for over 3 months and decided to go back because loneliness was overpowering. I'm afraid it might happen again, but at the same time each winter is harder and harder for me. It's a tough decision.
I've moved from Australia to Sweden (15yo) to Australia (16) to England (23) to Italy (24) to England (25) to France (28) to Australia (30) to England (48) to Australia (53).

Here's my take:

- If you're used to summer and there's no summer for years on end it can make you miserable unless it's a really great fit culturally.

- Each country has a different culture even if it's the same language and your parents are from the new country (e.g. my parents are English but I was raised in Australia and have lived in England).

- You will have cultural references and word use that differs from the one you're going to. That will exacerbate the sense of not connecting to others and therefore foster loneliness especially if you're prone to feeling an outsider and alienated from others.

- If you choose to relocate, do it for 3 years to give you a good feel for what it's like in the new country and get the hang of things. For each year you're there, you'll probably make 1 friend to keep though the people might change. Eg, Year 1 you might meet 20 people and make friends with Sally. Year 2 you might meet 20 people and have Sally and Dave as friends. Year 3 you might meet 20 people and have Dave, Mustafa and Karolina as friends because you find that Sally isn't really such a good connection or maybe she went back to her own country.

- It takes around 2 years to reintegrate in your own country because you've changed and most people where you came from won't have so it's like being in a new country.

- Ways to make friends are:

--- Join Toastmasters in person. It's a welcoming environment and you'll get info about the local culture and people are open to new ideas and ways of being. Many people will come from another country, too.

--- Join a meditation class to connect with yourself to allow emotions to arise and navigate what arises in the mind. I joined a local Western Buddhist meditation group and it's full of people learning how to be kinder. Not everyone has their stuff together so there will be some tricky people (that's why they're learning meditation).

--- Perhaps consider seeing a psychologist or psychotherapist or counsellor (if you can afford it) to help understand some of the cultural differences and to have a meaningful conversation each week/fortnight. Better in person.

--- Do activities that give a lot of time just hanging out e.g. a guy took up sailing because you hang out on a boat for the whole afternoon, have plenty of time to chat, and you learn about teamwork and conversations. Tennis is another.

--- Do something where you'll touch another person, e.g. dancing, working with animals.

--- Volunteer in a food bank or shelter to give a sense of purpose.

--- Learn an instrument in your spare time. If it's the guitar or ukelele, you'll be more likely to be invited to parties to play songs and create a fun atmosphere when you do meet people.

- Don't make work you're whole life.
- Keep in touch with people back home on a regular basis. The trip I made at 48 to England was made a whole lot easier for the fact the internet, emails, skype existed. When I was 15, it was all by aerogramme. These days, it's wonderful to have regular connections when you're abroad. Make the most of it and that includes any difficult relationships in your current situation, they are much better mediated by cyberspace.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

EmotionEngine

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Sep 15, 2020
United States
Seattle, Washington - Where I live and looks like this 9 out of the 12 months.
Screenshot 2024-01-08 092745.png
In summer for 3 months we get this, but then the faucet turns back on in Sept.
seattle-washington-1.jpg
I thought about making a Phoenix pilgrimage as others have done here but my fiancé does not want to move and she has a extremely high paying scripted job in healthcare that she loves.

sojeer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 10, 2018
Just moved from Ireland to Malaga, Spain. Jeez, such a different feeling. This is life! Love Ireland like my mother but I can’t spend too much time with her :D
UK & Ireland have difficult climate to deal with, especially when you’re coming from continental Europe like me. Humidity, very unpredictable weather. Staying in the home most of the time because it is miserable outside… this is not fun for me. This is not life…
In Spain I try to spent most of the time outside. In Ireland I could barely do 5k steps. In Spain I do at least 15k daily.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The best solution is to have enough money and mobility to domicile whenever and wherever you want.

Variety is the spice of life.

Go where you are empowered.

Not empowered any longer? Move. Kinda reflects what happened to me after 22 years in Arizona.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
If you don't have existing commitments that tie you to your current location

"Just" my girlfriend, friends, and family. A few years ago I lived in a warm and sunny place for over 3 months and decided to go back because loneliness was overpowering. I'm afraid it might happen again, but at the same time each winter is harder and harder for me. It's a tough decision.

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014
Fortunately for Americans the USA is large enough to be able to move to a sunnier climate inside the same Country. I'm quite aware that the distances between the hot and cold parts can be quite large but surely it's easier relocating and not having to learn a new language, new government regulations, apply for visas etc. Unfortunately for those of us from the UK and other colder EU countries that's not possible.

I'm not saying that's a reason not to make the move however.

True, the US is huge and we can move to many different climates without crossing a single border. No permission required, no passport, no problem. The amazing thing is how many of my fellow Americans just don't do so. You don't have to look hard to find people whining about their lame home town with its dead economy an nothing but nothing going on. In the Northeast I know people who are born, live and will die in a 50 mile radius with maybe a trip to Disney thrown into the mix.

I'm not sure than my observation really adds value to the conversation, but your post brought the thought to the front of my mind. It's a shame and a waste to live in such a self limiting way, but I see quite a bit of it.

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
Weather is important - as a species we come from a climate where you can survive whole year living outside. It will be hard to find someone not affected by the lack of sun, cold etc...

I moved from Eastern Europe to Ireland. The weather here is 'boring' but not bad - shorter days are a bit depressing (half Nov - half Feb). Ok - the wind is annoying. The Italians and Spaniards are complaining but are still here ;)

I enjoy better air and water quality. I dream of moving to somewhere warmer and this is what I use to motivate myself. People aren't plants or trees and can move. The move here was more important for me than where I moved to. I feel a bit freer and responsible for my destiny. Had I stayed I would have been in the same situation probably - same friends, family (love them) I was 'born' in etc... would cause same results. For me it was a mental escape. Warm countries will follow and are important on the list.

PS "There is no bad weather, only bad clothing" we say in Ireland ;)

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
I have to disagree based on individual circumstances. I believe perennial sunshine got my biochemistry right and hence, it kept me motivated me to do what was necessary. Had I stayed in a poor climate, I would have just done enough to survive, not thrive. Kinda hard to improve yourself when your #1 priority is to stay in bed.

I'm trying hard to motivate myself with the possibility of earning enough from my business to move or spend more time in a sunnier climate but it can be difficult.

I do the school run with the kids of a morning, i see the same guy walking the same stretch of road towards his place of work, I also see another guy back out of his driveway at the same time every morning. The guy who lives opposite has just pulled up like clockwork at 11.30pm after closing his takeaway. It's like the Truman Show only it's real life.

The thought of spending the rest of my life negotiating day after day like this fills me with dread.

To be honest it shouldn't really matter whether it's raining, windy or sunny tomorrow as I'll be sitting at my desk working away towards the fastlane. But it does. It does matter. At least I'm on the journey. 99% are not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loffinds

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Apr 24, 2017
Everywhere
I've been living in Costa Rica for the past year, and am about to head to Bali for a few months.
I am from Canada and just got so damn tired of driving in the snow.

I get to surf every day, go shirtless whenever I want, and grab coconuts off the beach and have a refreshing free drink!
It's helped me personally :)

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
@Everyman, it's not just vitamin D but also possibly other products that you can only get from the real thing, the sun (read The Vitamin D Solution by Michael Holick). Sunlight regulates many functions in the body and vitamin D pills alone don't work for all of them. That's why people with seasonal affective disorder use SAD lamps in addition to vitamin D supplementation.

But for me, even that isn't enough. Only actually being in a nice climate (or when the summer comes) cures me, probably because of additional psychological effects (I love outdoor sports but practicing them during winter is impossible or sucks).

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I moved from Michigan to Arizona just over 1 yr ago. Am I happier? No. But then I don't let my life circumstances determine my level of happiness.

Do I enjoy it here more than MI? 100%! With 1.8 million acres of National Forest surrounding me, there's plenty of outdoor activity to do which I love. There's even water to go kayaking! If I feel like skiing I drive North 1hr. If I feel chilly during the winter months, I drive South a bit.

People are outdoors more here and I have really great conversations. People's moods are more positive.

I've always felt you need to live in a place for 1 yr to know if it's where you want to stay. As of today, I don't think I will stay here. I will scale out my business here but the city has a lot of challenges and a LOT of tourists(to the point where the locals are just pissed off).

Once you know what you don't want....you know what you DO want.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Summer is slowly coming to an end in Poland and I'm already starting to feel depressed. It sounds like a first world problem but each time fall approaches, it provokes a deep trauma in me that makes me think of death. No amount of "spiritual" work helps me overcome the deep, deep hate I have for the fall and winter and the sadness it causes.

Within a week or two I won't be able to swim anymore in the lake (it's already much colder). Nights are getting chillier already. Sun is lower in the sky and in a few days it'll be too low to make the body produce vitamin D (the angle needs to be above 50 degrees). Before I know it, it'll be September and even if it's going to be sunny, the days will keep getting shorter and colder and I'll have to wait EIGHT f***ing months for good weather again.

This year I plan to leave for the fall and return for Christmas and then hopefully leave again in January but it all depends on the BS restrictions.

@Paul David how are you?

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
My goal for 2023 is to start an online business and move to Spain or Portugal.

I can't stand the Irish winters. I hate that it's always dark, wet, damp and rainy for 6 months. Life is very short, I want to be enjoying my life a lot more and just don't get that here in Ireland.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Finally making the move in January. Starting in Algarve, Portugal. I was told there's an NHR scheme where you can pay very little tax. I'm taking a bit of a risk as I'm stopping my cleaning business and starting my digital marketing agency.

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
Look at all of these America-hating Celsius users. F doesn't stand for Fahrenheit, it stands for Freedom.

(I'm joking)
The F stands for Freedom, and the C stands for Cant F*cking land on the moon.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
I love the winter. I live in an area that gets consistent fresh powder (West NY), so it's always beautiful outside.

It does drop into the negatives in Freedom (F) temperature sometimes, but that's just something you gotta deal with.

I plan on moving to the mountains after my first Fastlane exit, probably in Vermont near Burlington or Stowe.

I want to be able to go ski every day.

Here's the view from outside our house:
2EB11B01-7FF2-4C3B-9387-EA788E30F371.jpeg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.