The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Has anyone produced a backpack?

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Is it a bad idea to approach them and see if they would build me a protype and or would manufacture the pac?

I would say that if they have their own brand and sell direct to consumer, you shouldn't approach them with your ideas.

It would be far better to find a backpack factory that produces backpacks for many different brands, and then discuss customization and exclusivity of your features with them.

These probably aren't the type of backpacks you are interested in but this site has "radical transparency" about their business model (I love this idea) and lists the name of their factory for every product they sell. Might be a great place to start: Men's Backpacks, Bags, Weekenders & More

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
I have created a gym yoga bag before.

Here are some simple steps.

1. Find a factory in China. There are many.
2. Request a catalog and look for the back packs that resembles your idea but with your added features.
3. Request a sample. Choose a few factory. You will know which one are good quality. I usually look for the ones that can deliver on time and ships me in a well packaged product.
4. From there, you can take the back pack and start sketching your features on it. You can have them change the zipper, the style, the inner layers, inner pockets...etc. If you are a bad artist, hire someone from upwork. When I designed mine, I hired a textile designer. She made me 10 different textile designs in AI or EPS format. The factory can use these textile design and print it onto the fabric.

When I was in HK, there was a apparel expo that I attended where there was many many factories that sell their backpacks. A lot of them were great quality and that is how I landed my manufacture.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
How many 'hunting back packs' were sold last year?

Think I'd dig around into just how big or small this market may be. Hit up the NRA and hit up state wildlife and conservation offices to see how many hunting licenses were sold last year. Then estimate how many of those people buy a hunting back pack in their lifetime. (I have one and probably will never buy another)

Then do some paid traffic market research with a photoshop and bullet point listing. Also do some keyword research seeing how many searches are made for hunting back packs.

Don't spend a year making something unless you know someone wants it. Someone other than you and a couple of buddies that said they might want one....

Like the idea a lot. Prove the market is there and big enough to build a company before you go too far down the path.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
There are a lot of companies on www.makersrow.com that specialize is manufacturing and designing bags here in the US.

It will be pricier than China but you'll be able to say "made or assembled" in the US and get exactly what you want.

If you want to create a sewn product from scratch, you are looking at about a year before you get a fully custom sample in your hand. So if time is more important than a fully custom product, you may want to go with the China option as mentioned above. If that is the case find a manu that makes something close to what you are looking for and modify it.

Also you may want to consider your market. People who hunt and shoot in the US are more likely to prefer a brand that has "made in America" on it. If you go that route, try to stay in the premium side of the market.

2nd also, you should probably do a mockup/photoshop prototype and test market demand via FB/ IG ads before you start approaching manufacturers.

+1

Listen to this guy, he knows this market very well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Thanks for the push!
I think I have the protype as close as I can get it. I want to write down in detail the way I want everything to function this weekend. Then next week start contacting manufacturers.
I have been cheating a little. It is easy to get discuraged when your protype is not working perfectly.

I want you to go to Fiverr or Upwork today. Find someone to sketch your bag design. Nothing too fancy. Tell them exactly what you want, give them inspiration photos to work off of.

Then I want you to contact five bag manufacturers from Maker's Row with your new design sketch to get quotes.

Then I want you to find five bag manufactures over seas and do the same thing.

Two weeks from today, I will be back here and want to see some results.

Rearden

Inventor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Aug 24, 2017
Michigan
I am here to help however you need. I have advised hundreds of people through licensing deals and have a handful of deals myself that are presently paying royalties on my own inventions.

Buyouts rarely happen and can be detrimental to striking a royalty deal. When Buyouts are brought up there is a very distinct difference in the mindset of both sides.

Inventor Mindset: Future Value of the product so they look at what is the possible value worth by taking projections of royalties. If we take @markK example:
If your backpack sells for $100 in the store (retail) and the store purchases them from the manufacturer for $50/each (wholesale) and you agreed on a 5% royalty, then you get $2.50 for everyone that they sell. If they sell 50,000 backpacks, then you make $125,000 (50,000 x $2.50)

Then Inventors take the $125,000 times 3 or 5 years...so let's call it a 3year multiplier of royalties equals a $375,000 buyout price....Makes sense right?

Company Mindset: Present Value of the product from the companies viewpoint. They look at if you have invested in IP (Intellectual Property) then if you have molds or patterns and a production-ready product...SO then they do a calculations
IP investment - $10,000
Molds or production ready model - $12,000
Your work $5,000
Their Buyout price $27,000 (if you have done all the work and made the investments)

With a Buyout price difference so big each party starts to dig into what they want and it deteriorates the relationship and makes it difficult to return to a royalty licensing model. I have seen this on multiple occasions and when the inventor tries and returns to a royalty rate the company is so focused on the buyout and the simplicity of it, the deal never makes it back to agreeable terms.

I have seen buyouts but for the most part, they happen on products that are presently selling on the market and a buyout value can be determined based on actual sales and not speculation of possible future events.

I hope this helps and let me know if I can help in any other way.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
I have created a gym yoga bag before.

Here are some simple steps.

1. Find a factory in China. There are many.
2. Request a catalog and look for the back packs that resembles your idea but with your added features.
3. Request a sample. Choose a few factory. You will know which one are good quality. I usually look for the ones that can deliver on time and ships me in a well packaged product.
4. From there, you can take the back pack and start sketching your features on it. You can have them change the zipper, the style, the inner layers, inner pockets...etc. If you are a bad artist, hire someone from upwork. When I designed mine, I hired a textile designer. She made me 10 different textile designs in AI or EPS format. The factory can use these textile design and print it onto the fabric.

When I was in HK, there was a apparel expo that I attended where there was many many factories that sell their backpacks. A lot of them were great quality and that is how I landed my manufacture.

There are a lot of companies on www.makersrow.com that specialize is manufacturing and designing bags here in the US.

It will be pricier than China but you'll be able to say "made or assembled" in the US and get exactly what you want.

If you want to create a sewn product from scratch, you are looking at about a year MINIMUM before you get a fully custom sample in your hand. So if time is more important than a fully custom product, you may want to go with the China option as mentioned above. If that is the case, find a manu that makes something close to what you are looking for and modify it.

Also you may want to consider your market. People who hunt and shoot in the US are more likely to prefer a brand that has "made in America" on it. If you go that route, try to stay in the premium side of the market.

2nd also, you should probably do a mockup/photoshop prototype and test market demand via FB/ IG ads before you start approaching manufacturers.

Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@Woodsman81 is at one of those great crossroads in a fastlane journey ...... step out into the deep water and potentially drown ..... or go back to the 'safety' of shore and talk about what could have happened......

Man up and start getting shit done.

Woodsman81

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Dec 10, 2017
Alma co
Update
The first licensing agreement did not work out so I slowed my roll and educated myself by reading the book one simple idea. I have made 3 cold calls and sent my sell sheet to 2 companies. I have a meeting later this week with a potential licensee to show my crude prototype to.
I was really surprised at how hard it was to make that first cold call but the second was allot easier.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
You are hitting the nail on the head perfectly with one of my main concerns. I keep asking myself is this backpack just for me or will other people like it. You're right there is so many great backpack companies already out there it is a daunting task to try to research them all and can I really compete with them.
As of now I have gotten a little side tracked at the moment. @markK mentioned a design patent and think one of my features that was originally on the back burner has got my main focus right now. I have been doing a lot of research trying to figure out if someone else already has it built into there pack. It may mean building a different pack to start with for a brand name and then following through with the pack of my dreams.
Does anyone have any advice on design patents?
Thank you all for you advice!
Yea, stop thinking about patents.

Too much thinking and not enough action here. You don't even need to look at patents until you make a product and you won't need to buy one until you've proven some sales.

If you've got your soft proof already, start calling manufacturers on Makers Row and get this going. You're wasting time at this point.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
What progress have you made since we last talked?

Our next phone call may not go so nicely if you haven't put the gas on yet.

Sounds like you already have soft validation if you can solve the problems in the bad reviews. Can you do that and still hit the price point people would pay?

Woodsman81

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Dec 10, 2017
Alma co
Ever since I started hunting with a backpack I have wanted features on my backpack that I can't find on the market (this is before I read the book). Now I am starting to figure out how they are going to work. Well I sketched them, but I am a terrible artist.
As I did my research on other backpack company's I found one that is about a hour away. After spending some time on his site I think this company builds some quality packs and has made me realize how much goes into building a quality backpack.
I saw on their site where they will do custom backpacks for you. Is it a bad idea to approach them and see if they would build me a protype and or would manufacture the pac? My fear is that my unique features will end up on there packs long before mine even hits the market.

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015

If you want to create a sewn product from scratch, you are looking at about a year MINIMUM before you get a fully custom sample in your hand. So if time is more important than a fully custom product, you may want to go with the China option as mentioned above. If that is the case, find a manu that makes something close to what you are looking for and modify it.

In the process of doing my own entirely sewn product as well. Not a backpack though. Silly me...I thought i could get a fully custom sample in like a month. haha. What I struggle with also is going entirely lean on this. It is easy to get mockups for traditional stuff like T-shirts, hoodies, common jackets, shampoo bottles, books, etc.. But something entirely custom, especially clothing or a backpack for a mockup is hard to find.

I am sure others will find it helpful as well if anyone knows someone that does entirely custom mockups, none of that template crap.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Maker's Row. The company solely does clothing, so they wouldn't be able to help with backpacks. Never heard of this Frankenstein backpack thing. But yeah, building a backpack seems significantly harder.
That is completely false. There are pages of sewing contractors and designers who do bags.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Research.
Formulate a plan.
Get to work.

You have been at it for 10 days.

Some threads on the inside have gone years.

What are your next steps?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
When you are lost in the woods, what do you do? Do you ask a tree what to do? Is it better to select a course of action and be decisive? If you go the wrong way for a little while and realize it, what do you do?

Use your wits, your knowledge, your equipment, your studies........ there is big game in these hills ....... you just need to put a plan together, provision the hunt, stalk the prey, and make the shot!

Hope that helps!

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
To be honest my goal was one this week. Trying not to get fired from my sidewalk job.

You are right I should set my goals a little higher! I am very much a one-step-at-a-time type person try not to get ahead of myself

Setting appointments won’t get you fired. If you spend all that time, wait a week for the appointment, then find out they’re crap, you just wasted 2 weeks. Hedge your bets. Get it done.

Woodsman81

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Dec 10, 2017
Alma co
I have one protype being made. I have a meeting with someone tommorow and hopefully will have 2 in the works after that. My goal is to have a third next week.
I put my nose in the dirt last weekend and made a couple thousand to help pay for these.
I have not tried to go over seas yet because I am not sure how to explain my design without a face to face demonstration.

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
How did you go about finding someone to build your product? If it is a company that you think would be able to help me would you mind disclosing who they are?
I was thinking of putting an ad on Craigslist or trying to find someone local that does Gear Repair and see if they would build me a Frankenstein backpack as a prototype out of some new used packs.
I have no intentions of doing a 3D mock-up because you cannot show functions with it. I think a prototype would much better serve me even though it may cost three times as much.

Maker's Row. The company I worked with solely does clothing, so they wouldn't be able to help with backpacks. Never heard of this Frankenstein backpack thing. But yeah, building a backpack seems significantly harder.

Last edited:

Castaway

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Feb 15, 2014
The Woods
I was going to work on how many hunting backpacks were sold last year next. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?

I'm in this market... both on the brand side and as a consumer. I'm sure you know there are a ton of hunting packs sold every year.

I spent $600 for one of the best on the market last year.
The real question here is... Is your idea actually any better/different? If so, how much?
I would say it needs to be drastically different than whats available now for anyone to take notice.

You have companies like; Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Exo Mountain Gear, Eberlestock, Oregon Pack Works, Kuiu, etc. that are dominating the premium market.
And companies like; Badlands, Tenzing, Sitka, Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc. offering more affordable packs to hunting market.

Not to mention the slew of companies making tactical backpacks.

How big of a need are you really filling with a new pack with a couple new features? Just something to consider. :)

Castaway

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Feb 15, 2014
The Woods
I am not so great at drawing. So got out the scissors and duct tape. Cut up a few old backpacks and started making a demo to bring to a manufacturer. This was helpful for me I quickly ran into some function problems. Hopefully the manufacturer will be able to make it function better than me cutting up old 5 gallon buckets and bending them into place with a butane torch.
I also signed up for makers row. I search for backpacks in Colorado. There are four companies that came up none of them have any reviews. One says they manufacture military backpacks. Think I will hit them up first.
How many manufactures should I be getting a prototype/sample from?
Should I bring a non disclosure agreement?
I was hoping to start with something small like 20 bags and prove there is a market. Is this feasible?
What questions should I ask?

Anything is feasible man! Just don't be scared of trying and remember, above everything else you'll learn as you go so regardless it'll be a worthwhile experience.

None of us here know exactly how this is going to work out for you or what you'll encounter on this journey. Don't think too much about it just do it.

Don't worry about NDA's or someone stealing your idea, just move forward and figure it out as you go. :)

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Thanks for the push!
I think I have the protype as close as I can get it. I want to write down in detail the way I want everything to function this weekend. Then next week start contacting manufacturers.
I have been cheating a little. It is easy to get discuraged when your protype is not working perfectly.

So Monday you won’t stop calling until you have 3 consultation appointments?

Woodsman81

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Dec 10, 2017
Alma co
So Monday you won’t stop calling until you have 3 consultation appointments?

To be honest my goal was one this week. Trying not to get fired from my sidewalk job.

You are right I should set my goals a little higher! I am very much a one-step-at-a-time type person try not to get ahead of myself

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
I have one protype being made. I have a meeting with someone tommorow and hopefully will have 2 in the works after that. My goal is to have a third next week.
I put my nose in the dirt last weekend and made a couple thousand to help pay for these.
I have not tried to go over seas yet because I am not sure how to explain my design without a face to face demonstration.
Thata boy. Call me next week.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Booked online went to my second place for a prototype nobody there! Had a phone consolation with them today. He said 8 to 10 thousand for a prototype. Comes with material list sketches etc. He said I would need those to go over seas, but I am trying to stay usa.
The first guy is building a prototype for 4 to 6 hundred and can manufacturer in house. He is also willing to do small batch sample runs as small as 10 units. Which seems great to get hard validation before doing a massive manufacturing run . Seems fair!
I think I should keep pursuing multiple manufacturers in the $500 range.
What are your thoughts...?
No way. Way too much.

Woodsman81

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Dec 10, 2017
Alma co
Sample would have to be under a hundred bucks no? Retail I'm paying under that for a hiking bag, material cant be that expensive.View attachment 21298

Could be totally wrong though, some bags go for $500+ so.....
There is allot of pattering that goes into making a sample. It not just the cost of the material. Manufacturers are going to want to get paid for their time in case you do not use them to produce your product.

markK

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 8, 2018
Missouri, US
I was having no a hard time finding someone to make me a sample or a prototype. I decided to get a provisional patient. To protect my idea . This allowes me to go to existing backpack company's.
I have approached one so far he liked the idea and said to give him some numbers on roylities.
I think I would prefer per sale royalties vs lump sum. I feel like I need two different numbers exclusive and non exclusive.
Does anyone have experience with this or have any suggestions on what I should ask for?

It sounds like you're considering going the licensing route like I mentioned back in my post on April 14.
I think that is a good choice considering that your idea is a design modification to an existing product...a backpack.

I will give you a few quick thoughts for your situation, but if we can get @Rearden to chime in on the discussion, he can tell you pretty much anything you need to know about product licensing. He's very knowledgeable on the subject. Also, if it wasn't for him I wouldn't be here on the forum or have read Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted , so I am very grateful for how he's helped me.

First, it's great that a company is interested in your idea!
That means that they see a potential opportunity to make money.

Second, I would suggest you make a list of all other companies that make backpacks that could have an interest in your design ideas...then contact them and ask them if they look at new product ideas from outside the company. If they say, yes, ask who you should contact to discuss your idea with.
If you have more than one company interested, you have more opportunity for a licensing deal and hopefully one that has great sales and distribution.

Third, if you can, find out if the company that is interested in your idea has ever licensed ideas before and if so, what did that agreement look like...royalty rate, distribution (exclusive/non-exclusive), length of agreement, etc. This will be a starting point for negotiation.
If they haven't, this is where I can give you some guidance, but @Rearden could really help you and I would suggest sending him a PM. Although, he may be somewhat restricted because he advises inventors through the licensing process for another company.

Fourth, keep records of all your interactions with the various companies. emails, contact names, details that you discuss, follow-up dates, etc.

Now, to give you a general answer to your actual question.
Generally, product ideas that are licensed will pay royalties in the range of 3-7% of the wholesale price of the product, which is usually half of the retail price.

For example: If your backpack sells for $100 in the store (retail) and the store purchases them from the manufacturer for $50/each (wholesale) and you agreed on a 5% royalty, then you get $2.50 for every one that they sell. If they sell 50,000 backpacks, then you make $125,000 (50,000 x $2.50)

There are a lot of other things to negotiate into a licensing agreement, but that gives you a picture of the royalties. Having a company that has a large distribution becomes important because they are in Control of the sales volume, which is how you will make your money.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.