The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Has Anyone Ever Watched, The Secret?

Anything related to matters of the mind

hekks

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 2, 2011
Chicago
I have. You didn't state your opinion about it, but here's mine: I think they took one important but small part of positive thinking and blew it up into a marketer's dream. The author knows that the masses like to take the path of least resistance, and hey, there's no easier way to success than dreaming about it (while it passes you by). Now every lazy person out there can feel good about themselves by expecting to materialize a 20,000square-foot home out of pure feel-good thoughts while planting their a$$ in the couch. Keep in mind, this is not my judgement of everyone, but certainly an overwhelming majority of that audience.

I think it's a dangerous delusion that they're selling to desperate-but-helpless minds. Instead of teaching people crap like this, more authors should step up and offer concrete advice such as what the Fastlane has given me.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that positive thinking is an absolute must when dealing with business and self-development, but there is a difference between positive thinking and lying to yourself that you'll have a Range Rover by thinking really hard about it. Maybe you'll finance one at 15%, cause hey, anyone can do that.

My 2 cents.

:soapbox:

D

DeletedUser394

Yes, once back in highschool, and I laughed the entire time. Then I handed my teacher Think and Grow Rich (and later TMF ).

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
Hekks hit it right on the head. I have been dreaming of an Bacon, egg, and cheese sandwhich all moring. I can vision it and everything. So why am I still hungry.

AMCarbonaro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jul 28, 2011
Wayne County, Michigan
I went for a run today and I was thinking of a Lamborghini Aventador, and I haven't seen one sense lol. I don't know if the Law of Attraction works, but why not try. Its a positive way of thinking.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
The secret is complete garbage.

That being said, I have noticed some fairly bizarre coincidences when I think positively AND take action.

I think it's more like Thomas Jefferson tells it:

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it."

hekks

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 2, 2011
Chicago
Its a positive way of thinking.

Actually, it's a destructive way of thinking. Unless you're talking about "thinking positively" as well as taking action. Then there's a healthy balance. The Secret sells because it takes advantage of the fact the majority of people in our society have been brainwashed into feeling entitled. It empowers those who lay on the couch and dream all day, and tells them "hey if you think about shit really hard it will come true!" WRONG.

Positive attitude + action toward measurable goals.

That's what worth studying. Not some bullshit from the Oprah book club :p

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Hekks hit it right on the head. I have been dreaming of an Bacon, egg, and cheese sandwhich all moring. I can vision it and everything. So why am I still hungry.

You both are wrong.. Most people miss the fact that you have to take action, they probably just ignore it or something but having watched Secret a few times I like it and do believe in Law of Attraction, still, you need to take massive action, then it will work..

Maestro

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jul 20, 2011
Fastlane observation;

Did the authors of the secret become rich by thinking positively?

Or did they become rich by teaching this ludicrous bullshit to a bunch(scale) of naive souls?

Rhonda Byrne(one of the authors) actually said that the tsunami of 2004, was due to the population of south east asia sending out tsunami like vibrations.. WTF

-Maestro

PAKoch

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jun 7, 2011
Law of Attraction

My opinion regarding the Secret or (Law of Attraction) is this. If you have a positive attitude and you are constantly thinking about your goals and you believe that your goals are attainable, you are more likely to do things that will help you achieve those goals, which might result in realizing those goals. That to me makes sense.

I don't believe that thinking about something will cause your brain to send out a signal that will be received by something that says, hey this guy wants a new car, let's send him one. That does not make sense at all.

I would be really surprised if any of the guru motivational "Secret" pushers actually believe what they preach.

Talisman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
May 19, 2011
Australia
Guys guys.. IT WORKS!

I was just sitting there minding my own business, and thinking positive thoughts about using my time wisely, and not wasting my life.... and then I got given a copy of MJ's book..

Coincidence????

NO!

The secret works!

Here's my affiliate link so you can buy it yourself. In fact you're only reading this thread BECAUSE YOU WERE MEANT TO!

<theres actually no affiliate link here.. stop dreaming, and go work on your process>

ClintonSkakun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 26, 2011
D
My 2 cents.

I think it's crucial to constantly have a mindset of looking for possibilities and pushing forward, having a form of mental tenacity. I also think it's important to know what you really want and then going and working on it.

Otherwise "The Secret" is complete BS. I would love to believe it because it seems so mystical and mysterious. Not everything that happens to you is because you attracted it. Take, for example, being born with a genetic flaw. Or how about being hit by a car when you focused on work, or your ipod.

It's the easiest thing to sell to people. "Get anything you want" books sell in large numbers. Who wouldn't want to control the universe with their minds? It's crazy.

Great marketing gig. Not a great philosophy to apply to your life.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Seems to me that the "secret" is synonymous with awareness. Most people go through life in a daze, never thinking about who they are or what they really want--they just go with the flow and get what they get. They take a job because it was in front of them, or marry a girl they've been dating for a couple of years because they feel they probably should, or whatever. Hell, most people don't even pay attention to what day it is. So if people become aware of what they really want are they more inclined to steer into that vision? Sure. Does a monster of a home or a lambo drop into your lap? No. But just by becoming aware that you want one at least points you in the right direction to maybe make some different decisions that will bring you what you want. There is no magic and no mumbo jumbo that shortcuts the process of success: awareness (what you want), clarity (how to get what you want) and determination (the hard work to get it)--and anyone who tells you otherwise is just trying to sell you something.

John C.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Jun 5, 2011
New Orleans, LA
When The Secret was wildly popular, I wrote an essay about the problems with The Law Of Attraction. Here is a shortened version of what I wrote.

For the Law of Attraction to work you need to also employ the Law of Subtraction. There is a CODE for what you need to subtract from your life. Clutter, Options (narrow your thoughts), Distractions and Excuses.

You must also employ The Law of Traction - you need traction for things to work. Again there is a CODE for the Law of Traction - Contacts - you need lots of good contacts, Observation skills - you need to be able to see what is happening, Dependable - if you are going to be successful, you must be dependable, and Expert - whatever your field, you must be an expert in that field.

Then of course there is the Law of Action. Nothing happens by wishing or thinking. You must take action and again, there is a CODE for action. Commitment - you must be fully committed to your cause. Observe success - notice what others are doing and follow proven tactics. Do it now. There is only now for taking action. Experiment and adjust - it is the old ready, fire, aim. Take action, observe the results and adjust.

If you employ the Laws of Subtraction, Traction and Action, then the Law of Attraction will work wonders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If you employ the Laws of Subtraction, Traction and Action, then the Law of Attraction will work wonders.

That's kinda like saying, "Gasoline is a mystical teleportation tool that really works at moving people from point A to point B ... but you just need to add the automobile first!"

In other words, it is one tiny ingredient in a larger formula.

AJGlobal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 14, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I went for a run today and I was thinking of a Lamborghini Aventador, and I haven't seen one sense lol. I don't know if the Law of Attraction works, but why not try. Its a positive way of thinking.

Thats funny, because ever since I was a kid and saw "cannonball run" I fell in love with the countach. I was 10, maybe 11 when that movie came out. I never stopped thinking about owning one some day. It was in my head everyday, all day, all the time. I also knew by the time I was 14 or 15 that I wanted to own my own business. I wasn't quite sure what was going to be but that thought was as strong as the "owning the lambo" thoughts were. I've owned a Gallardo which I bought at 29 and have both a Gallardo spyder TT and a Murcie today and I own my own business..............still think its bullshit ?

I'm not trying to pick on you or toot my horn but the secret is what it is. Its the "law of attraction". How does that work exactly ? For all the haters and skeptics posting here, I give you my personal experience and REAL results of how its worked for me and my interpretation of it outside of what I wrote above.

The thoughts that are repeated over and over and over again in your head for the longest period of time throughout your life will be what most likely what you get in return regardless of what it is. Action is required for those thoughts to become real. The problem is most never act on those thoughts no matter how strong they are thus thinking that "the secret" is bullshit or they act on the opposite which leads to this.

The universe does not understand between good or bad, poor or rich, it just gives back what you put out after you have acted on it, thus giving more of what you already have. For those who act on doing nothing with those thoughts, you get more of nothing. For those who have thoughts of "I'm always broke", I'm always gonna be living paycheck to paycheck" you get back always being broke and always living paycheck to paycheck.

I had already achieved owning my own business and buying my first lambo before I watched the secret, but it made perfect sense to me when I got done watching it why I have what I have today. It extends way beyond the business and the cars for me. I could go, on and on.

So challenge yourself and think back to your earliest memory of something you always thought about and always wanted but never thought you could have. Erase the thought of never having it and replace it with thought that you can. Open your eyes and your ears for the opportunity when it comes and then act on it.

The path on which you go to get you there is unknown until you create it. You'll be amazed at what happens............one more thing. Universe doesn't know time.........you control to some extent when, what and where you get what you want.

Fear will most likely be your biggest feeling to overcome, thus paralyzing you to take the action required.

I find it interesting that only two people in this thread have the "green badge" MJ and myself. I wonder why ? :smash:

John C's post is another way to look at it. One I've never read or heard about before but It just adds to what I already knew and makes perfect sense.

hekks

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 2, 2011
Chicago
The problem is most never act on those thoughts no matter how strong they are thus thinking that "the secret" is bullshit or they act on the opposite which leads to this.

My problem with it is that there are just as many people who will watch The Secret and wrongfully assume that they can fully substitute action with expectation. They will use dreaming as their process and expect the favorable end result regardless of whether or not they put conscious effort toward reaching their goal.

Everything you said about it (basically, the proper way of using it) is on par with Think and Grow Rich and I agree with it. But to me, The Secret is presented in a misleading way, at least what I remember from it (I should watch it again and reconsider my points).

-hekks

PAKoch

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jun 7, 2011
I am currently listening to a Law of Attraction seminar recorded onto 12 CDs; I am on CD # 10 now. This was loaned to me by a friend and I listen while I drive. The presenter is Kevin Trudeau.

I agree with the part about getting back what you put into something. I also agree that if you really want something and you think about it all the time, you are more likely to do things that will move you toward that goal.

What I don't agree with is this. When you think about something you brain is sending a good or bad transmission at a certain frequency all over the universe, and other things will latch onto your signal and send you back what you are thinking about. It was stated in this seminar that the signal the brain sends out moves faster then the speed of light and reaches everywhere instantly. Sorry, but that does not make sense.

Here is what I think:
1. Pick a goal
2. Study it, research it, think about it, and focus on it.
3. Divide it up into little pieces.
4. Continuously work on these little pieces until the goal is achieved.
5. If possible, try to have a good attitude throughout the process.

jmktok

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 4, 2011
sure... loved it.. always trying to get the kids to take a 'nugget' of wisdom here and there... but they won't have any of it. All in all, you should get a couple of things from it:
1) a lot or even most human to human comms is nonverbal... how you walk, look, act...
2) go to the lunch room at work... stop and take a look at the 'regular' tables... you know which ones are the negative group... bitching about this and that... the ones talking about cars... the ones playing with iPhones... interesting isn't it? Now notice... who sits with you?

Take a piece from whatever... all the books have something to offer... I don't go whole hog often though...

AJGlobal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 14, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
My problem with it is that there are just as many people who will watch The Secret and wrongfully assume that they can fully substitute action with expectation. They will use dreaming as their process and expect the favorable end result regardless of whether or not they put conscious effort toward reaching their goal.

Everything you said about it (basically, the proper way of using it) is on par with Think and Grow Rich and I agree with it. But to me, The Secret is presented in a misleading way, at least what I remember from it (I should watch it again and reconsider my points).

-hekks

I'm glad you posted because I have a good example of how what you are describing above makes sense and had affected me directly.

One of the goals and dreams in my head of never ending thoughts out side of what I posted above was to own a house on the side of a mountain overlooking everything. I had visited here when I was 11 or 12 as my uncle moved out here for a job relocation. Over the next 4 or 5 years I was out here in Phx visiting at least once a year until I finally moved here in '97 at age 23. I'll never forget seeing the houses on the side of camelback mountain and the thought of having a home like that. To this day that thought is still as strong as the thoughts I had in wanting a lambo and owning my own biz. It has never left me.

5 years ago I bought the land that i was going to build my dream home on overlooking the valley on top of the mountain. Just before the economy crashed I was about to pull my permits and start building. Thats when Indy mac went under and canceled their programs. I was forced to go look for a construction loan somewhere else. By now no one was doing 10 to 15% down. Hell I would have been happy with 20%. By the time I got done trying to get the loan we were at 35% down. Mind you , this was on a $2.3 million dollar project, land, home, pool, everything. I fought hard for months and one day I realized......you know what I'm having expectations on the outcome of this. I'm trying to force my way into this deal. I'm accustomed to jumping through hoops to get things done, but this was getting out of control. I regrouped and pulled out. Kept the land and put a stop to all the madness.

Thank god............cause I would be upside down over $1 mil had I built that house. I'm not out of the woods yet. I still have the land but my potential loss is a small fraction of what I would have been stuck with had I built.

Sometimes you need to know when to listen to what the universe it telling you, even if you don't like what it has to say, thus taking out the expectations you are talking about above. I had every positive thought and the power behind it to make it a reality. I figured , hell I got the land loan and the drawing all done, permits ready to pull........I'm there.......................nope................that was a tough pill to swallow and I don't blame anyone or anything for what happened. In my eyes, that was the universe saving my a$$ from losing a shit ton of money that would have put me in a position I'm glad I'm not in today.

The guy that bought lot next to me paid the same I did. We had the two best lots. He got his loan in before the crash, 15% down and he was a general contractor. He got his house done for 2 mil. Moved in and a year later his contracting biz died and he went under. The bank PAID him $70k to short sell the house and get out. It sold for 1.1 mil. Mind you the land we paid for was $500k for 1 1/2 acres and his house was 7k sq ft. livable 12k under roof. You tell me how you can build a house like that for 1.1 mil. Not gonna happen.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
This video is right on topic for this thread.

The woman answering the questions is probably the best teacher of the LoA. She was originally included in The Secret, but she removed herself because she felt the producers were sensationalizing and dumbing down the concepts.

The person questioning her is asking about the apparent contradiction with the LoA and the idea of just using your mind and having to take action to get what you desire.

Her responses explain the details of the LoA very well.

[video=youtube;xh-pTi8iCT0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh-pTi8iCT0&feature=player_embedded[/video]

AMCarbonaro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jul 28, 2011
Wayne County, Michigan
My dad has a book from Kevin Trudeau. Even if the law of attracting is not real, it teaches you a better way of thinking. recently I have stopped thinking of negative things. If something wrong happens during my day, I easily forget about it by how i respond to it on how i think. It makes my day better, and that's all that counts.

And I imagine myself as the worlds wealthiest man too, lol.

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
My last post...

I just finished the Secret and I wanted to say that this is my last post. As of tomorrow morning I will have received all knowledge and ideas in the universe, as I will be going to bed and asking for it and she promised me if I ask and really give thanks the universe will provide!!! On top of that I've ask the bank to give me my house so the bank will be calling tomorrow to let me know that I no longer need to pay my mortgage as they are giving me my house. I'm really excited for tomorrow...

On a more realistic review, I was really saddened by the book, I fear many people will fully believe and try to live their lives through the teachings rather than taking responsibility for their lives. Some people out their will really believe and just dig deeper into whatever situation they are in. But as i'm a positive person in every book there are some good points and lessons. Here are my three main take away points:

Be positive and appreciate: Thinking positive thoughts has proven (not by her but in other cognitive studies using MRI's) to increase ones energy and mental awareness. It also increases your resilience to work through tough times. If you continue to focus in what is working and not dwell on the negative you can push through and accomplish your goals. The more you think positive you begin to notice less negitive things, your mind begins to create filters or fast ways to move past negitive events. Along with being positive, you need to appreciate what you have, the people you meet and the opportunities all around. The more you appreciate the things around you the larger your inventory of people, places, things and events to makes you feel happy and fulfilled in life...

We attract like people: If you want to be happy, have wealth, think and want those things and you will end up hanging out with people of similar mindsets. I don't like complaining which is why I try to change the conversion or leave a conversion when some ones starts complaining. You will not only attract similar you will put yourself into situations with similar thinking people...

State what you want: Set goals (Ziggler, Carnegie, Hill all covered this), if you want something you need to take the time and write it down, think about and do your due diligence. This keeps you focused and allows your mind to take advantage of situations that bring you closer to your goal. If you are always thinking about it you will be able to act quickly when the opportunity presents its self 9often called luck)...

Where she really missed out was by not talking about action and doing the work. Most of the famous people she quoted (Ford, Lincoln, Einstein...) all busted a$$. Einstein worked on his unified field theory for years but was never able to fully complete it. They all envisioned what they wanted but then executed day after day to achieve what they created in their minds....

Mukul

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Nov 19, 2017
India
I have. You didn't state your opinion about it, but here's mine: I think they took one important but small part of positive thinking and blew it up into a marketer's dream. The author knows that the masses like to take the path of least resistance, and hey, there's no easier way to success than dreaming about it (while it passes you by). Now every lazy person out there can feel good about themselves by expecting to materialize a 20,000square-foot home out of pure feel-good thoughts while planting their a$$ in the couch. Keep in mind, this is not my judgement of everyone, but certainly an overwhelming majority of that audience.

I think it's a dangerous delusion that they're selling to desperate-but-helpless minds. Instead of teaching people crap like this, more authors should step up and offer concrete advice such as what the Fastlane has given me.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that positive thinking is an absolute must when dealing with business and self-development, but there is a difference between positive thinking and lying to yourself that you'll have a Range Rover by thinking really hard about it. Maybe you'll finance one at 15%, cause hey, anyone can do that.

My 2 cents.

:soapbox:
The only defect of that book is action/execution part. One has to get up and work, then apply all that positive thinking and "secret" tactics, and success is guaranteed :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.