The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gyms working with sustainability

Idea threads

Tsetand

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jun 25, 2022
Hey guys so I need help with this idea. We are all bit concerned about global warming. And one of the effective way of controlling this issue is using reversible energy. So here is my idea, please I let me know what you all think:
As many people nowadays likes to shread their energy in gyms for health but how about if we turn gyms in a way that exercising converts into the energy.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Losspost

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Oct 6, 2020
Hey guys so I need help with this idea. We are all bit concerned about global warming. And one of the effective way of controlling this issue is using reversible energy. So here is my idea, please I let me know what you all think:
As many people nowadays likes to shread their energy in gyms for health but how about if we turn gyms in a way that exercising converts into the energy.
The amount of energy generated is negligible. 100 W on a bike is already quite exhausting. Doing that for 1h, which is hard, would be around 100Wh or 0.1KWh. In comparison, a solar cell with 1.6m^2 produces around 200W. My parent's house for example has 12 panels and produces a peak of 4000W and on average 20kW a day in summer.

A biker on the other hand produces 1kW a day. If the bike is 10H in use. Let's say you have 20 bikes you can get around 20kW a day. But this is all without losses. Out of the head, Efficiency would be most likely a lot less than 50% so you can't even get 10kW.

But, it is already done. Some steppers for example use the energy to power the electronics so that they do not need a power plug. On the other hand, for treadmills, the power necessary would be too little to even consider harvesting it. One thing that has been done though is the use of a special floor in a disco to generate energy. But to be honest, most of this stuff is just a funny idea and for effect and perhaps publicity.

Using it as a proper source of energy is just not worth it. You always have to consider losses and in addition, the energy needed to produce the parts like the generator. Conventional means such as solar cells or some special mini wind turbine produce just so much more in comparison.

//Edit: I still wouldn't completely discard the idea, just don't market it as a way to produce energy. As mentioned, energy is harvested to power some of the devices themselves. I have seen this for steppers but not for some other gym appliances. An idea would be smart strength equipment. It would record the repetitions and the weight and send it to the device. This you could power with energy generated while working out.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
An Olympic track cyclist nicknamed Quadzilla could only power a toaster for a very short amount of time

Dumb idea

View: https://youtu.be/S4O5voOCqAQ

Tsetand

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jun 25, 2022
An Olympic track cyclist nicknamed Quadzilla could only power a toaster for a very short amount of time

Dumb idea

View: https://youtu.be/S4O5voOCqAQ
So here is the thing. I’m not saying that I want to run the whole gym using human energy. Obviously it’s going to be tough. My point was I want to convert the energy people are spending to store. This might motivate some people while working out.
And this is just a rough idea.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.