The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gullible MLM junkies. SOS

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Hey all, quick question. Has anyone come across an MLM or ponzi scheme which involves investing money, but getting a payout quickly? I've got a few co-workers who are involved in one where they invest $5,000, recruit 14 people below them and then get paid out $40,000. I am trying to find information on this quick method so I can bring information to them that contradicts this, but the majority of ponzi schemes listed online are the ones that have scammed millions.

What they're involved in is illegal on most planets in the known universe including earth. The leaders will be arrested and your friends will either lose everything or take money from (and at the expense of) people below them - two very bad things. It's pure and the classic definition of a ponzi.

pfalcomer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
388%
Oct 15, 2012
Durban, South Africa
About twenty years ago I took a gap year after High School and went to live in Tuscany with my older brother. I ended up working at a restaurant with him in the evenings washing dishes and afternoons at a driving range (I've been playing golf since I was six). One day I'm hitting balls in my downtime and a guy sits behind me watching me hit. After a while we get to chatting and he asks if I can take a look at his swing. I do and give him a few pointers and he starts to hit it better. When he leaves he asks for my number and invites me to a round of golf (at that time I wasn't making enough to play on a private course) so I exchanged details with him to play the following week. We part ways. The following week he picks me up in a brand new BMW X5 (also not too common in that part of Italy i.e. more unique / exclusive) and we go to a private golf course, he picks up the tab for everything (around 20-30% of my monthly take home pay) and asks me if I would be interested in being his private golf coach.. I laugh and say "look it's about 35 Euro an hour so monthly it will be horrendous." He laughs and says "here's my address, put together a quote and your requirements and let's see if we can make it happen".

I go back to work and my brother who I was staying with told me to at least try (I think he wanted me out the house and off his couch!). So I put together a quote for double my monthly salary with a few extra requirements (paid travel and golf expenses etc) and take the bus into the next town where he lives. I get to this massive old Tuscan villa, private olive grove and some nice Bavarian cars parked in the driveway. He takes one look at the quote and says "That's fine, when can you start?". I started immediately. He happened to be one of the top 5 Herbalife salesman in Europe so naturally I
travelled with him to all his meetings and conferences. It was an eye opener - when he entered this conference room full of people there was inspirational music playing, the whole crowd got up and screamed and clapped and shouted. When he was on stage he was talking about how well his "downline" were doing and handing out special pins etc. Lots of photo taking and hugs and high emotion. When I listened to what these people were making monthly, I realized that they were making less than me! Just enough to cover living expenses and staying inside that hamster wheel of MLM. The majority of the attendees or salespeople where middle aged and older, completely fascinated and lured on by the expensive suit, shiny watch and diamond pin that my employer wore that day. People were asking to take pictures with me just because I was "close" to the guy they all came to see.

It was easy to see why people genuinely believe that just one more sale, just more recruit and I can make it up to the next level..

It was hard seeing people my parent's ages sitting there glassy eyed and hopeful and brainwashed like sheep.

Make no mistake, the guy I worked for made a lot of money (around USD250k a month) but he was one of a group of ten Herbalife people worldwide I think. The very apex of the pyramid. Since then I've been able to spot a MLM prophet miles away and do my best to avoid eye contact in case I give them the opening to pitch and then I have to stand awkwardly listening to the same story just with a different shiny object. I never felt like my employer provided "value" to anyone, merely inspiration and being an object of emulation. I never heard anyone say "thank you, this product and the sales I make have provided for my family and put my children through college!". The sale people were always..just there..about to breakthrough but never doing so.

"Businesses that solve needs win. Businesses that provide value win." - create massive value to gain massive rewards.

That close up experience with all the pretentiousness and the awed crowd made a life long impression on me to never join that crew and not let my later years be in the hands of someone in an expensive suit..

This quote is what drives me every, single day -

“If millions seek you, you will be paid millions.”
M.J. DeMarco, The Millionaire Fastlane

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
Hey all, quick question. Has anyone come across an MLM or ponzi scheme which involves investing money, but getting a payout quickly? I've got a few co-workers who are involved in one where they invest $5,000, recruit 14 people below them and then get paid out $40,000. I am trying to find information on this quick method so I can bring information to them that contradicts this, but the majority of ponzi schemes listed online are the ones that have scammed millions.

The Security Exchange Company started by Charles Ponzi had an almost identical model...

Charles Ponzi - Wikipedia

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Didn't you get the name? A website?

This is a classic Ponzi ... and I can't believe people are still falling for the BS.

Dunkafelics

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
Didn't you get the name? A website?

This is a classic Ponzi ... and I can't believe people are still falling for the BS.

@MJ DeMarco nope it was a quick conversation that I had with one of the guys who was pretty secretive about it. He said it was based out of Calgary and I looked online and couldn't find anything other than a previous conviction of two individuals out of that area. It is one of those subjects that is hard to convince people the dangers of, but ultimately I want to help them get out of a crappy situation even if they don't see it. I'll see if I can get more information out of these guys as well.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.