The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

18 years old, I want to make a junk removal company.

Idea threads

Ben_HB

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jan 15, 2023
Canada, British columbia, Abbotsford
Alright I'm going to write down what I think is all relevant information about my life and why I have made this decision to make a junk removal company.

Ok so first, I've had a ""Side hustle"" of junk removal with my stepdad, Using his truck and trailer.
At the time I was watching a lot of videos from a youtuber Mission Side Hustle, he was doing a series $5000 to $1,000,000 Or something like that. and during the time I was watching him he was doing junk removal with a small truck and a small trailer.
So the first time I went over to my stepdads house, I saw he had a truck, and a huge 14 foot long, 8 foot wide, dumper trailer. And I was like, "Hey let's do this thing (Junk removal) I'll do all the advertising and stuff and we can do it together, splitting profit 66% 33%. So we've been doing this for awhile, and have a regular customer who is a property manager, He probably gives us 5-10 jobs a month, around $1000-$2000 worth of work (before expenses)
well my stepdad is old, He doesn't want to do this anymore, He's all broken from a life of manual labor, and he's also a Nightmare to work with (And he knows it, and doesn't want it to effect our relationship anymore) SO
I'm making a junk removal company, A legit one, A fantastic one, One that will do everything "Right" (Ik right is subjective and also that it cannot be achieved all the time, but I'll come close.) Uniforms, Advertising, A proper company structure, Systems in place to make everything run easily and be able to be done by someone with the brain of a rat.

Ok so here's the deal, My stepdad said he would loan me $10,000 to $15,000CAD to buy my first truck (used probably) But I want to get one of those really good trucks with the dumper built in. and I've got $3500CAD so I've got $13500 to $18500CAD to work with

[BASIC RUN DOWN OF HOW THIS COMPANY WILL WORK]
Someone calls asking for junk removal, I (or someone else in the future) Books the free no obligation quote, 2 Guys in 1 truck go to the site and give the quote based on Amount of truck space the junk will take up. [These numbers aren't 100% decided on but this is the basic concept]
Single items $100
1/8 or 12.5% of truck $200
1/4 or 25% of truck $350
1/2 or 50% of truck $450
Full truck $500
[ the truck will be quite large, one like the ones 1800gotjunk uses]

After quote has been given, if all parties agree, junk will be loaded up into the truck, customer pays, If truck is full, goes to place where you dump it, if truck is not full enough, move onto next quote/job]

Ok now that all of that relevant information is out of the way, I have a few questions to ask.
1. Which company structure should I use? [I Live in Canada, British Columbia]. If you can't provide an answer, Can you point me in the direction of how to figure it out.

2. How do I write a business plan? I've been googling this for a couple of days for a total of probably 3-4 hours, Can't seem to figure it out though, It all seems like very different answers based on industry, So how do I write a business plan for this industry. [I Guess it's Waste management]

3. What is the first step? I assume it's a business plan, That's why I asked question #2, But if it's not, What is the first step?

Thanks so much to whoever reads this, Much appreciated :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Alright I'm going to write down what I think is all relevant information about my life and why I have made this decision to make a junk removal company.

Ok so first, I've had a ""Side hustle"" of junk removal with my stepdad, Using his truck and trailer.
At the time I was watching a lot of videos from a youtuber Mission Side Hustle, he was doing a series $5000 to $1,000,000 Or something like that. and during the time I was watching him he was doing junk removal with a small truck and a small trailer.
So the first time I went over to my stepdads house, I saw he had a truck, and a huge 14 foot long, 8 foot wide, dumper trailer. And I was like, "Hey let's do this thing (Junk removal) I'll do all the advertising and stuff and we can do it together, splitting profit 66% 33%. So we've been doing this for awhile, and have a regular customer who is a property manager, He probably gives us 5-10 jobs a month, around $1000-$2000 worth of work (before expenses)
well my stepdad is old, He doesn't want to do this anymore, He's all broken from a life of manual labor, and he's also a Nightmare to work with (And he knows it, and doesn't want it to effect our relationship anymore) SO
I'm making a junk removal company, A legit one, A fantastic one, One that will do everything "Right" (Ik right is subjective and also that it cannot be achieved all the time, but I'll come close.) Uniforms, Advertising, A proper company structure, Systems in place to make everything run easily and be able to be done by someone with the brain of a rat.

Ok so here's the deal, My stepdad said he would loan me $10,000 to $15,000CAD to buy my first truck (used probably) But I want to get one of those really good trucks with the dumper built in. and I've got $3500CAD so I've got $13500 to $18500CAD to work with

Someone calls asking for junk removal, I (or someone else in the future) Books the free no obligation quote, 2 Guys in 1 truck go to the site and give the quote based on Amount of truck space the junk will take up. [These numbers aren't 100% decided on but this is the basic concept]
Single items $100
1/4 or 25% of truck $350
1/2 or 50% of truck $450
Full truck $500

After quote has been given, if all parties agree, junk will be loaded up into the truck, customer pays, If truck is full, goes to place where you dump it, if truck is not full enough, move onto next quote/job]

Ok now that all of that relevant information is out of the way, I have a few questions to ask.
1. Which company structure should I use? [I Live in Canada, British Columbia]. If you can't provide an answer, Can you point me in the direction of how to figure it out.

2. How do I write a business plan? I've been googling this for a couple of days for a total of probably 3-4 hours, Can't seem to figure it out though, It all seems like very different answers based on industry, So how do I write a business plan for this industry. [I Guess it's Waste management]

3. What is the first step? I assume it's a business plan, That's why I asked question #2, But if it's not, What is the first step?

Poor response edited,
Sorry for not reading the post properly

Last edited:

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Nice!

(I know you've been 'doing it' for a while but this is a new thing, it's your company now. It's not the same. It doesn't have customers yet does it?)

Okay first: just focus on customers. Get a cheap truck you can sell for the same price if it doesn't work.

Speed is the goal. Use your enthusiasm to get customers, don't blow your "enthusiasm load" on company formation, pie charts, market research, truck wraps and business plans.

Get some work going. Then do the math.

"It costs $x to acquire a customer with advertising"

"Employees for this business would cost me $x/mo"

"We can probably bring in $x revenue, and adding up other expenses we should net $x per month in profit"

Then, go get your canadian llc or whatever they do up there. Get a lawyer. I like using registered agent services to form companies.

Then when you have traction you can go get your operations manual, systems, employee uniforms, etc.

When you make more you can get whatever form of an S-corp exists up there so you aren't getting railed with self-employment taxes on a couple hundred grand.

But for right now just go use your enthusiasm for getting business! Trust me, it will not feel the same in 2 months, you need to get some wins under your belt with the energy you have right now.

You don't want to hit the desert of desertion before you've made any money lol

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Ben_HB

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jan 15, 2023
Nice!

(I know you've been 'doing it' for a while but this is a new thing, it's your company now. It's not the same. It doesn't have customers yet does it?)

Okay first: just focus on customers. Get a cheap truck you can sell for the same price if it doesn't work.

Speed is the goal. Use your enthusiasm to get customers, don't blow your "enthusiasm load" on company formation, pie charts, market research, truck wraps and business plans.

Get some work going. Then do the math.

"It costs $x to acquire a customer with advertising"

"Employees for this business would cost me $x/mo"

"We can probably bring in $x revenue, and adding up other expenses we should net $x per month in profit"

Then, go get your canadian llc or whatever they do up there. Get a lawyer. I like using registered agent services to form companies.

Then when you have traction you can go get your operations manual, systems, employee uniforms, etc.

When you make more you can get whatever form of an S-corp exists up there so you aren't getting railed with self-employment taxes on a couple hundred grand.

But for right now just go use your enthusiasm for getting business! Trust me, it will not feel the same in 2 months, you need to get some wins under your belt with the energy you have right now.

You don't want to hit the desert of desertion before you've made any money lol
The property manager who gives us work currently said, he's excited for my new company and he will be hiring me, ( probably should have mentioned this in the post )

Ben_HB

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jan 15, 2023
The property manager who gives us work currently said, he's excited for my new company and he will be hiring me, ( probably should have mentioned this in the post )
Oh and also, It is the same, It has been my job to do everything for the company except have the truck and trailer, I did the advertising, I did the research. etc

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

Nice! Love the enthusiasm!

A 1-800-Got Junk truck will set you back well over $50k. But don't let that discourage you. You'll just have to make do with whatever your money can buy you.

Single items $100
1/4 or 25% of truck $350
1/2 or 50% of truck $450
Full truck $500

What is your value skew? Why should customers call you and not 505 JUNK or 1800-Got Junk?

Register a corporation. Any lawyer will be able to do that and it will not cost much. Alternatively, google if you can register on your own.

I am going to pull an @Andy Black and link my own thread here:

Early struggle is all about getting sales.

Don't worry about "business plan" in a traditional sense. Worry about the one thing: how will you get enough sales to make this work for you at the prices that you must charge to make it work. Period.

Thanks for the tag.

I used to have a Junk Removal company based in Coquitlam over a decade ago. We started around the same time as 505-JUNK guys did. They made it big, we pivoted, rebranded and moved on to another business altogether (construction). Biggest reason was low margins, we felt that a higher margin business would work better and it did for us.

I have to run, but happy to chime in with further thoughts and help.

Ben_HB

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jan 15, 2023
Nice! Love the enthusiasm!

A 1-800-Got Junk truck will set you back well over $50k. But don't let that discourage you. You'll just have to make due with whatever your money can buy you.

What is your value skew? Why should customers call you and not 505 JUNK or 1800-Got Junk?

Register a corporation. Any lawyer will be able to do that and it will not cost much. Alternatively, google if you can register on your own.

I am going to pull an @Andy Black and link my own thread here:

Don't worry about "business plan" in a traditional sense. Worry about the one thing: how will you get enough sales to make this work for you at the prices that you must charge to make it work. Period.

Thanks for the tag.

I used to have a Junk Removal company based in Coquitlam over a decade ago. We started around the same time as 505-JUNK guys did. They made it big, we pivoted, rebranded and moved on to another business altogether (construction). Biggest reason was low margins, we felt that a higher margin business would work better and it did for us.

I have to run, but happy to chime in with further thoughts and help.
really 50k? What if I got a used one? If I can't get one like that, what other kinds of trucks are in my price range?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

This applies to everything.

rfhutchinson

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 29, 2023
What kind of truck can I get?
>You could do a payment plan on a used truck
>You could do a payment plan on a new truck
>You could put a down payment on a new truck and have your stepdad co-sign a loan
>You could just spend an hour a week looking around the area you live seeing what trucks are for sale

Be creative with it. Best thing to since you have a track record is make a very basic profit statement for yourself and see what a realistic budget actually is. How much are you making a month on average? I think you'll be just fine if you get a $300 a month payment plan if your business really does well enough. Also speak to the property manager about any of his other buddies so that you can get more work. It doesn't really sound like you need to advertise just yet.

Basic statement:
Income - Expenses

BizBrain

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Apr 1, 2023
I too have decided to start a Junk Removal service based business.

My introduction thread provoked a response from a few great people who encouraged me to look into doing a SBB in leu of searching for a 9-5 after recently being laid off.

I wouldn’t say Junk Removal is a specialized skill by any stretch of the imagination, but it’s low barrier to entry and allows me to start bringing in some cash relatively quick (assuming we get customers).

I have no special tools, just a beat up old SUV with a tow hitch. I plan on renting trailers or box trucks through U-Haul for the infancy of the company. Cost per day ranges between $35-$135 depending on the size of the equipment. Most days I should be around the $35 mark.

Thankfully after setting up the “Google My Business”, I was given a $500 credit to run ads, so I am currently setting up google ads to help pull leads.

I have created a Facebook profile for the company and will be running ads via facebook as well. Hoping to keep ad spend on facebook below $35/day.

Also sourcing yard signs with company logo and phone number to stick on the corners of every busy intersection in my town and surrounding areas.

I know it’s not the “True Grit”, door knocking way of bootstrapping a business like a lot of hustlers on here are doing, but I have a few bucks laying around that I don’t mind putting to work for me.

The phase one goal is to just get the business in front of peoples faces and get some jobs booked.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

Single items $100
1/4 or 25% of truck $350
1/2 or 50% of truck $450
Full truck $500

Why are you writing a business plan? Dive in. Make money. If you borrow, pay it back ASAP!

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
I have no special tools, just a beat up old SUV with a tow hitch. I plan on renting trailers or box trucks through U-Haul for the infancy of the company. Cost per day ranges between $35-$135 depending on the size of the equipment. Most days I should be around the $35 mark.
You start with what you've got.

When I was a school teacher, I would spend my summers flipping washers and dryers.

Pulled them in a trailer behind my civic.

Attachments

• Civic With Trailer.jpg
    Civic With Trailer.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 5

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
You start with what you've got.

When I was a school teacher, I would spend my summers flipping washers and dryers.

Pulled them in a trailer behind my civic.
I agree. I hate debt. I bootstrap everything. I use what I have to make it happen. Ask your relative if you can rent his truck and trailer. Buy an old pickup truck and trailer. Save every dime. Then buy the better one.

paquickdump

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 25, 2024

Single items $100
1/4 or 25% of truck $350
1/2 or 50% of truck $450
Full truck $500

I have done good with website, facebook, and google ads.. Biggest obstacle has been competing in price with uninsured or unlicensed fly by night guys and free scrappers.

Lewistown PA Junk Removal and Hauling Services

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.