The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Getting Trapped In an MLM Camp On Superbowl Sunday

A post of a ranting nature...

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Ladies and gentlemen, put down your TV remote tonight.. I'd like to provide you with Sunday Night's Entertainment!

Have you ever talked to somebody and afterward feel like you need to take a shower? Until this experience, I hadn't really.

It's Super Bowl Sunday

I get invited by a friend to the home of some of his friends, who happen to be about 10 kids who pay rent together in a duplex (already sounds sketchy, right?)

What's the worst that can happen?

I meet some new friends..

Watch a bunch of suckers lose money betting on a potentially rigged football game..

Little did I know, as soon as I stepped foot into this unfamiliar worn-out duplex in a (weirdly) affluent neighborhood, Admiral Ackbar's warning went in one ear and out the other..

It's a TRAP!

I was immediately greeted by a bunch of friendly people who seemed like they'd be cool friends to have..

"Wow", I thought "Maybe these guys will be some cool people to get to know!"

Little did I know, behind the friendliness was an agenda to suck me into a blackhole.

After some time picking at chicken wings and sandwiches along with some small talk, I decided to go sit down with my buddy whom I'd come with, and watch the game.

One of the kids living there suddenly comes and sits next to us and starts chatting.

It turned out he had some things in common to me: Did brazilian jiu jitsu, seemed ambitious, liked fitness.. A cool guy at eye's glance.

But some people seem cool until you start getting into a deeper conversation with them.

In the middle of our conversation, an overly enthusiastic dude who seemed to be blatantly demented walked in greeting everybody as if he had snorted something up his nose seconds ago (I'm not quite sure he hadn't...)

"WADDUP BRO.. WADDUP!!!"

At first, I didn't think much of it, but I didn't realize that my friend and I (and another kid) were the only people in there that didn't know anybody else there..

And keep in mind everyone else knew everybody else that was there. We were the "New Guys".

This whole overreaction was a show to be put on in front of my friend and I (you'll find out why in a second)

Anyways, I didn't think much of it.

Maybe he's just a really extroverted dude?

I kept talking to the kid I was talking to in the first place and since I myself am an entrepreneurial-minded fellow and naturally curious, I asked..

Me: "Hey man, what do you do? What do you study in school?"

Scammer: "Yea man I study business"
Scammer: "right now I'm in sales"

Uh oh.. SOUND THE LUNK ALARM!! THAT'S STRIKE 1.. He's in "Sales"

Me: What do you mean sales? What do you sell?

Scammer: I'm selling this product, and Steve's (the demented enthusiastic fellow) dad makes $200,000 a month selling it!

Me: Get out.. 200k a freaking month? WOW! I'm curious tell me about it!

Scammer: I feel like I'm on a rocket ship and the flight is just beginning. I'm gonna be set for life. I could show you it and even sell you it right now if you want..

Me (Skeptical): How about telling me what it is, first?

One of the girls (Steve's girlfriend) starts listening in closely, maybe because she intuitively knew things were about to get tense.

Scammer: It's an accelerator (another word for a man-made "supplement) that increases your life expectancy

Me (completely skeptical of anything that tries to compete with mother nature): Oh yea? What's in it?

Scammer: Uhh I think Milk thistle extract, bacopa, ashwaganda, green tea.. It's called PROTANDIM

kill me now

Me: Oh yea? so how do you sell it? What's the sales strategy?

Scammer: I've been waiting for you to ask. Basically how it works is this, and this is what Steve's dad (who's making $200k a month supposedly) does to make $200,000 a month too.. and we just need to do EXACTLY what he does!

Me (fully expecting what I'm about to hear): What does he do?

Scammer: Well here's how it works, this is what I'm doing and you can do it too.. Steve's dad gets a bunch of people under him that sell the Protandim, and everything the people under him sell, he gets a cut of it too, and he makes money for 5 generations of salespeople on top of that! (people that people under him recruit)

Me: So it's a.. Pyramid Scheme?

Silence.. Demented boy's girlfriend is staring at me blankly along with scammer

Scammer: What? Huh? HEHE, No.

Side note: as some of you know, pyramid schemers are trained for these situations. They are specifically told what to say if someone calls it a pyramid scheme..

Scammer: No, it's not a pyramid scheme. For it to be a pyramid scheme you'd have to PAY to get in and (blah, blah, blah)

Me: Oh yea? I have another question for you. Does it actually work?
(i'm not being serious when I asked, it OBVIOUSLY does not, and anyone who believes it does should have a checkup)

Scammer (visibly offended): What bro? Yes it works what do you mean?

Me: Do YOU use your so-called "life-accelerator"?

Scammer: YES! I BELIEVE IN IT SO MUCH.. That I sell it to my own MOTHER!

Me: Oh wow! How long have you been using it?

Scammer: ....1 week

f**k you

Me: You've been using it for one week and you're selling it to your mother?

Scammer: Yes dude. I'm on a rocketship with this, it's gonna give me freedom and it can for you too if you do it. Besides, what are you doing with your life?

Me: I'm in real estate and I run a startup

Scammer: how's that going for you?
(the typical anger-inducing question where they try to get you to stumble over your words to make you feel like an innate failure because your thing isn't working out, therefore you'll join them)

Me: It's actually going very well my friend, and I won't be joining your scheme here. But thanks for the offer.

Scammer: How about this, no strings attached, every morning at 5:30 AM, we
(him, demented guy, the other guys living in the house, and a bunch of suckers they're trying to recruit) do a discipline run for 2 hours straight where we do situps, run, do pushups, and stand in a circle and pray with each other

(proceeds to show me videos of 20 of them running on the beach)

I actually thought this was pretty cool! Until I asked the following question

It seemed like he was VERY eager to get me to go and even tried to make me commit to it by shaking his hand, and he got my phone number

Me: Out of curiosity, you're not going to try to sell me on anything when I go there, right?

Scammer: No of course not!!

Me: Are all of the other people that go on the run also selling Protandim?

Scammer: Well, most of them.. Not all

Me: And the "Not all" are the people that you are trying to recruit.. got it

By now I was done, my friend and I got up to leave and started saying goodbye to everyone.

But we noticed something incredibly weird..

Keep in mind when I was talking to Mr. Scammer, no one else was really around except Steve's girlfriend, my friend, and scammer himself.

"Hey bro I'll see you tomorrow morning right?"

Wait.. HOW DID HE KNOW that dude was just talking to me about that??

Then AGAIN, and AGAIN!

ALL of them asked me if I'd be there tomorrow!

So that means there must have been a secret text conversation going around that they were going to try and recruit me and my friend for their freaking pyramid scheme!

On the way out, my friend and I ran into the big boss himself, demented guy.

He asked us too, and I said to him..

You seem like a great sales guy!

He smirked and we left.

Newsflash: They never texted me because they knew I was aware of their little scheme and would call them out.

And by the way, these guys went as far as to get one of the kids that was there to move out of his parents house from Connecticut to this duplex in order to pursue the dream of selling Protandim (snake oil)

Off topic note - A MASTER tip for avoiding pyramid scheme recruiters:

Do NOT be a 20-25 year old ambitious young man reading a business book at barnes and noble. A seemingly cool guy who is also "in business" who is really part of a "rev-share" scheme will come up to you, question you about your life, get your phone number, then later try and call you to recruit you. (this has happened to me 4 times in the past 3 months)

The end.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Do NOT be a 20-25 year old ambitious young man reading a business book at barnes and noble. A seemingly cool guy who is also "in business" who is really part of a "rev-share" scheme will come up to you, question you about your life, get your phone number, then later try and call you to recruit you. (this has happened to me 4 times in the past 3 months)

The end.
Lol, I almost want to go to barnes and noble to experience this again!

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Ladies and gentlemen, put down your TV remote tonight.. I'd like to provide you with Sunday Night's Entertainment!

Have you ever talked to somebody and afterward feel like you need to take a shower? Until this experience, I hadn't really.

It's Super Bowl Sunday

I get invited by a friend to the home of some of his friends, who happen to be about 10 kids who pay rent together in a duplex (already sounds sketchy, right?)

Watch a bunch of suckers lose money betting on a potentially rigged football game..

Little did I know, as soon as I stepped foot into this unfamiliar worn-out duplex in a (weirdly) affluent neighborhood, Admiral Ackbar's warning went in one ear and out the other..

It's a TRAP!

I was immediately greeted by a bunch of friendly people who seemed like they'd be cool friends to have..

Little did I know, behind the friendliness was an agenda to suck me into a blackhole.

After some time picking at chicken wings and sandwiches along with some small talk, I decided to go sit down with my buddy whom I'd come with, and watch the game.

One of the kids living there suddenly comes and sits next to us and starts chatting.

It turned out he had some things in common to me: Did brazilian jiu jitsu, seemed ambitious, liked fitness.. A cool guy at eye's glance.

But some people seem cool until you start getting into a deeper conversation with them.

In the middle of our conversation, an overly enthusiastic dude who seemed to be blatantly demented walked in greeting everybody as if he had snorted something up his nose seconds ago (I'm not quite sure he hadn't...)

"WADDUP BRO.. WADDUP!!!"

At first, I didn't think much of it, but I didn't realize that my friend and I (and another kid) were the only people in there that didn't know anybody else there..

And keep in mind everyone else knew everybody else that was there. We were the "New Guys".

This whole overreaction was a show to be put on in front of my friend and I (you'll find out why in a second)

I kept talking to the kid I was talking to in the first place and since I myself am an entrepreneurial-minded fellow and naturally curious, I asked..

Scammer: I'm selling this product, and Steve's (the demented enthusiastic fellow) dad makes $200,000 a month selling it!

Scammer: I feel like I'm on a rocket ship and the flight is just beginning. I'm gonna be set for life. I could show you it and even sell you it right now if you want..

One of the girls (Steve's girlfriend) starts listening in closely, maybe because she intuitively knew things were about to get tense.

Scammer: It's an accelerator (another word for a man-made "supplement) that increases your life expectancy

Me (completely skeptical of anything that tries to compete with mother nature): Oh yea? What's in it?

Scammer: Uhh I think Milk thistle extract, bacopa, ashwaganda, green tea.. It's called PROTANDIM

kill me now

Scammer: I've been waiting for you to ask. Basically how it works is this, and this is what Steve's dad (who's making $200k a month supposedly) does to make $200,000 a month too.. and we just need to do EXACTLY what he does!

Scammer: Well here's how it works, this is what I'm doing and you can do it too.. Steve's dad gets a bunch of people under him that sell the Protandim, and everything the people under him sell, he gets a cut of it too, and he makes money for 5 generations of salespeople on top of that! (people that people under him recruit)

Side note: as some of you know, pyramid schemers are trained for these situations. They are specifically told what to say if someone calls it a pyramid scheme..

Scammer: No, it's not a pyramid scheme. For it to be a pyramid scheme you'd have to PAY to get in and (blah, blah, blah)

(i'm not being serious when I asked, it OBVIOUSLY does not, and anyone who believes it does should have a checkup)

f**k you

Scammer: Yes dude. I'm on a rocketship with this, it's gonna give me freedom and it can for you too if you do it. Besides, what are you doing with your life?

(the typical anger-inducing question where they try to get you to stumble over your words to make you feel like an innate failure because your thing isn't working out, therefore you'll join them)

Me: It's actually going very well my friend, and I won't be joining your scheme here. But thanks for the offer.

(him, demented guy, the other guys living in the house, and a bunch of suckers they're trying to recruit) do a discipline run for 2 hours straight where we do situps, run, do pushups, and stand in a circle and pray with each other

It seemed like he was VERY eager to get me to go and even tried to make me commit to it by shaking his hand, and he got my phone number

Me: Out of curiosity, you're not going to try to sell me on anything when I go there, right?

By now I was done, my friend and I got up to leave and started saying goodbye to everyone.

Keep in mind when I was talking to Mr. Scammer, no one else was really around except Steve's girlfriend, my friend, and scammer himself.

Then AGAIN, and AGAIN!

So that means there must have been a secret text conversation going around that they were going to try and recruit me and my friend for their freaking pyramid scheme!

He smirked and we left.

Newsflash: They never texted me because they knew I was aware of their little scheme and would call them out.

And by the way, these guys went as far as to get one of the kids that was there to move out of his parents house from Connecticut to this duplex in order to pursue the dream of selling Protandim (snake oil)

The end.
I was about to recruited for something similar. Several years back.

It's always barnes and nobles with these guys.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
There's always "some guy" making $200K/mo ... but you never see him unless he's in a ballroom with 10,000 of his slaves.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
I watched the whole thing.. Unbelievable! Lol
Yup. You know when the saying that people tell you about trusting your Gut feeling. Sometimes that statement is true.

I loved his self-belief in himself and where he wanted to go. Right neighborhood, wrong house. Really thought we could have gotten along. But he stood by Amway to the very end.

luminis_

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Aug 27, 2022
You're a fantastic story-teller Mike, can't wait to read your books one day!

Hahaha so true, this happened to me a couple years back. Exact same thing, and he recommended a book, The Business of the 21st Century, by Robert Kiyosaki, which is just a dressed-up tutorial on how to run an MLM.

Goodfella999

My biggest regret is not starting sooner
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 29, 2022
South FL
When the demented guy put his hand out to shake you should have done an arm drag to back take to rear naked choke and then left the party.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
I feel like losing a few hundred dollars to one of these schemes is a core learning experience and part of growing up lmfao

I lost like 400 dollars when I was 14/15. Signed up via my fathers name at a hotel conference here in Ireland. There's something about the logic of a deal or offer presented with evidence/social proof that can trip an inexperienced or desperate man's mind. The longing to belong, to win with others... all backed up with fancy graphics or bank statements of earnings from others. Of course it's all fictitious but at a certain point in your life you want to believe it.

If you notice, these companies target men and women differently. Appealing more to emotion, community, feminist empowerment or flexible working conditions. When you go to these recruiting events it'll either be all women or all men...

When my friends approach me about these kinda things now my default response always is. If the business was so good why isn't the top guy reinvesting all his money back into it and keeping it to himself. This approach usually works with forex/trading or those type of schemes. Other times I'll just mention how well my real estate stuff is going when they ask "Hey wouldn't 500$ a month passive income change your life"... yeah buddy I already make 5-10k passive... this is usually the point where you see their eyes widen and you know that they themselves have barely made a few dollars from whatever they are trying to sell you.

My last response is when I ask them how much they have invested in it personally. The results usually vary, they mention oh there's various packages of different sizes depending on your spending power/goals. But lets say for example they say they are 1-2k bucks into it. I tell them if they are still involved in 6 months time to give me a call and I'll definitely invest, I'v never been called.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Ladies and gentlemen, I've officially seen it all.

A nicely dressed idiot holding a bottle of lemonade chatted me up for 20 minutes in Trader Joe's before revealing his amway pitch.

I am traumatized

"What have you heard about amway?"

It's a pyramid scheme

"Hey.. don't say that bro!"

TIP:

If you're talking to a NDI (Nicely Dressed Idiot) that you don't know, and they utter the word "mentor"..

RUN!!!

sdbrownlie

Building Links for SEO Peeps
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 26, 2017
Royal Leamington Spa
Agh I hate these schemes so much - you always end up having to try to escape one at every event you go to. They always 'started a business that gives them financial freedom'... who the hell says that lol... people normally tell you what they do... not some sales pitch for 'becoming them'.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Agh I hate these schemes so much - you always end up having to try to escape one at every event you go to. They always 'started a business that gives them financial freedom'... who the hell says that lol... people normally tell you what they do... not some sales pitch for 'becoming them'.
The next time this happens to me, I’m going to pitch the guy on my newly created MLM and try to get him to join mine and leave his.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
It's an accelerator (another word for a man-made "supplement) that increases your life expectancy
How did you not just laugh in his face at that statement?

do a discipline run for 2 hours straight where we do situps, run, do pushups, and stand in a circle and pray with each other
That's the bit I would have got up, smiled, kept eye contact, and backed away slowly.

Dude, thanks for this, I haven't seen one of these for ages!

I almost want you to go on these runs just for the comedy when you report back.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Hahaha. Last one for me was getting hit up for Isagenix. Lose weight eating a chocolate shake!

I swear it looks like they are in actual pain from the forced smile these psychos display.

Now just get on the roids, grease yourself up and enter a local bodybuilding competition and the sales will be streaming in :rofl:

You might even make it to platinummmm... :eek:
Or Diamond level!

3dbY.gif

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
The one time I was pitched on Amway was in a health food store checkout line.

The one time I was pitched on the Beachbody smoothie mix MLM was at Barnes and Noble.

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 26, 2023

It's Super Bowl Sunday

It's a TRAP!

"WADDUP BRO.. WADDUP!!!"

kill me now

f**k you

Then AGAIN, and AGAIN!

He smirked and we left.

The end.

It's the same pattern every time. Same conversation. It's like all pyramid scammers graduate from the same school! LOL.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
I feel like losing a few hundred dollars to one of these schemes is a core learning experience and part of growing up lmfao
It's funny you say that; I nearly fell victim to Tai Lopez as a 14-year-old. I genuinely thought this guy had reinvented fire, and thankfully, I didn't have $67 for the sixty-seven steps programme. :rofl:

futurebillionair

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Nov 4, 2022
It's funny you say that; I nearly fell victim to Tai Lopez as a 14-year-old. I genuinely thought this guy had reinvented fire, and thankfully, I didn't have $67 for the sixty-seven steps programme. :rofl:
I just made a thread about this exact kind of thing, that should serve as a warning to people with less experience in entrepreneurs

Fit Tech Goat

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Feb 29, 2024

It's Super Bowl Sunday

It's a TRAP!

"WADDUP BRO.. WADDUP!!!"

kill me now

f**k you

Then AGAIN, and AGAIN!

He smirked and we left.

The end.
Bruh, the way they talked to you already made me think that they were scammers.

They'll have to be more trained than that to recruit people under their pyramid scheme.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.