The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gullible MLM junkies. SOS

Simon Ashari

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Misquote.jpg

That's a picture of Benjamin Franklin right? Go easy on me, I'm Aussie.

Here's another one:

Abe.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think Trump and Kiyosaki have made comments about MLM's but not Gates or Buffett.

Because advocating for MLMs is great for book sales. Gates or Buffet don't care about selling books. If selling books over truth was my #1 priority, I would also have said "Network marketing is a great industry to be in." I'd immediately leverage network effects of MLM drones recommending my book. Advocating against MLMs probably cost me several hundred thousand dollars. I'd rather maintain my integrity than sell out.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Because advocating for MLMs is great for book sales. Gates or Buffet don't care about selling books. If selling books over truth was my #1 priority, I would also have said "Network marketing is a great industry to be in." I'd immediately leverage network effects of MLM drones recommending my book. Advocating against MLMs probably cost me several hundred thousand dollars. I'd rather maintain my integrity than sell out.
Trump also sold out to ACN then bailed. Sure pissed me off.

masaldana2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 17, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Gary Halbert said :

"speakers at multi-level rallies give the illusion of doing this but, after they've got you all enthused, they give you a specific plan that makes them (not you) money... and... sends you (not them) off into activities which are often illegal and always stupid. I've said it before and I'll say it again. MULTI-LEVEL MARKETING SUCKS! Not just some of it, all of it. By the way, I heard in a speech by Dan Kennedy the average annual income of an Amway distributor is a whopping $32.00!"

http://www.thegaryhalbertletter.com/Newsletters/asza_another_issue.htm

Last edited:

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Wait, did I read that right? 32.00

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Ran into my buddy that brought me to the Vemma meet.

We were talking today and the conversation went like this

Me "Hey man, what ever happened to Vemma?"
Him "Oh, remember those guys that were trying to recruit everybody?"
Me: "Yeah"
Him "I'm still facebook friends with them and I saw them posting about how they're staying in a suite in Las Vegas.... they're loaded".

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Ran into my buddy that brought me to the Vemma meet.

We were talking today and the conversation went like this

Me "Hey man, what ever happened to Vemma?"
Him "Oh, remember those guys that were trying to recruit everybody?"
Me: "Yeah"
Him "I'm still facebook friends with them and I saw them posting about how they're staying in a suite in Las Vegas.... they're loaded".

It's all the image. The BMW's and Mercedes they all have are cheap when you finance/lease them. Now sure how Vemma structures it but either way, it doesn't take much money. Getting a suite in vegas isn't hard, lmao. I stopped in Vegas last year and we didn't book a hotel in advance, I went on the hotels app, found the cheapest 4 star room, it was listed for $50 a night at the Rio, when we went they had a suite for $75. It was a 2 story room, crazy suite for only $75....I think I spent more on alcohol.

All the kids I know who did Vemma are out now, they really proved me wrong haha. They said the people below them dropped so they lose their income. Some still don't see it as a pyramid scheme.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
I agree 100%.

Makes me sad, I really liked listening to this guy.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
I am obsessed with researching this. I read this comment and it's just... I don't know. They have no humility. I think the people who make 6 figures a year.... never say a word

shoooootttt.... looks like I got scammed into a new BMW :/ along with 15+ of my friends. Good luck being a part of that 53.6% of college graduates who are found to be unemployed or underemployed.

just a little credibility:
-official energy drink of the phoenix suns (NBA) (Nate Robison, Tyson Chandler are both affiliates)
-our CEO won executive of the year at the stevie awards, which I'm sure you are completely blind to so let me help you understand this one. The stevie awards are like the oscars of business. Just to put it into perspective, STEVE JOBS won the GOLD stevie award in 2010.
-VERVE BOLD (energy drink) won the best new health product of the year.
- DR. OZ has had this on his show twice stating that the best thing you could put into your body is a can of verve and a hand full of vitamins.
- NFL just released a letter stating that any of their players are allowed to consume any of our products and can also be affiliated with this company(Shawn Marriman is affiliated with this company).
- Direct selling is the second highest paid profession behind professional athletics.
- 83% of woman in the U.S generating a 6-figure income or above was generated through direct sales.
- AVON and AMWAY (direct selling companies) both generated more revenue (11 billion +) than the entire NFL (9.3 billion).
-We are not a 30 billion company, but when we will i can guarantee every affiliate will be making a billion dollars more than you.
-any company that is worth the multiple millions or even billions and is considered a "scheme" would have been shut down by now.

***all of these quotes are facts please look them up if you are still confused about this "scheme."***

Have you ever bought something from amazon? did you know that was a direct selling company? looks like you have already been involved in a "scheme."

I could keep going but we will just leave it at this...

When Donald Trump was asked by David Letterman, "what would you do if you lost everything and had to start from scratch?" He responded with, "I would find a good network marketing company and get to work."
as the crowd continued to boo and laugh he said, "That's why I'm sitting up here and you are sitting down there!"

So ... Just to refresh, that is why I will be graduating from MSU this year being able to pay off ALL my student loan debt in full, traveling the world, and sharing an opportunity to those who want to avoid peasantry.

-Love your MSU peer, and VEMMA PLATINUM affiliate.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
BK also wrote a check for $600k to Dr. Oz's charity, its amazing what money can do.
I believe Verve sponsors the Phoenix Sun's. They nor the NBA have said they support the business model, they make no comment towards the method of business.
The last company that was shut down by the FTC for being a pyramid scheme was around for like 10 years, age means nothing when it comes to being a pyramid scheme. (Got this info directly from the FTC)
Just because you have a product doesn't mean you aren't a pyramid scheme either. Basically, if you are compensated based on recruitment instead of sales, its a scheme. (Got this info directly from the FTC)
You could probably pay Trump to say anything for the right amount of money, he has endorsed MLM's.
Avon and Mary Kay focus on selling the product, recruitment is more of a bonus. Vemme, focuses on recruitment, I've never seen or heard of people selling the product.

The sad part is the company will remain in business for quite some time, the FTC doesn't have the man power or funds to pursue every scheme. Although, when I spoke with the FTC, they said consumer risk is how they figure out who to target and Vemma is getting bigger and bigger so who knows. Herbalife will sent the tone for everything moving forward IMO.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
I had a friend who was in Herbalife and when he was talking about it I was thinking "Awesome, the guy needed money, so glad to see he's working his a$$ off and doing it!".

I genuinely believe he is making money, but I had no idea at first that it was an MLM thing.

Erik Heyl

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 31, 2014
The trouble is, some MLMs are legit (amway has been around FOREVER and from being on the inside the products are in fact good. I just didn't like the "make a list of everyone you know" bit), but it's the scam ones that get the press.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
So this kid is spamming me with messages on FB advertising his business "opportunity". Typical MLM talk...

His initial message:
Hope you're doing well! I noticed your fb page and thought I would reach out to you. My business partner and I are currently expanding our marketing business team in the bay area through Social Media and looking for a few people. Since we specialize in Social Media we have found that Facebook is the best way to find people who are sharp and like-minded. We are basically looking for a few people who want to work on a side project to make additional income part time by marketing online and offline for various companies. We partner with big name clients like Best Buy, Verizon, Michael Kors, Fossil, Kenneth Cole, and some private companies that specialize in Sports Nutrition, Health, Beauty, etc. Essentially, we show companies how to stop advertising traditionally on television, radio, and print, and start advertising effectively through Social Media and "Word of Mouth". Hopefully that makes sense. If interested, message me back with your cell number so we can discuss more details over the phone or let me know if you need more info. If this does not apply to you, please reply back with no thank you and I will not send a follow-up message. Either way I wish you the best with your current endeavors!

Regards, Matt Fromm

My response:
Please get back to me when you're profiting at least $10k a month and we'll talk. I'm too busy with my current biz right now. Best of luck!

His rebuttal:
I am profiting 10k+/month and have been for some time now... Based on your reply, I'm not sure why that is surprising? $10k/month is only 120k/year; chump change for most professionals in Silicon Valley.. I had expectations to make my first million before I was 25, but by 28 isn't too bad... I wish you the best with your current business.

-Matt

This guy went to a fairly elite high school and university in my area. Anybody can be a sucker for the MLM dream.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Ha ha, so are you going to talk with him?
I feel that this is a great opportunity for the Millionaire Fastlane to shine. Let's look at the CENTS
  • Need: Nope, no one needs whatever b.s. product they're selling
  • Entry: Nope, anyone with a couple hundred bucks can enter
  • Control: Nope, zero control over anything (product, process, commission....)
  • Scale: Nope, once you run out of friends and family to scam, you're out of "downliners"
  • Time: Nope, "you only get out what you put in" is a common MLM term--in other words there is no way to make this business very profitable (the term business being very loosely applied) without putting in more time than you have.
Holy Moly, this idea fails every test of @MJ DeMarco's test. Run, run away. I had fun reading this thread, but jesus christ MLM's are a bad f***ing deal.

On a side note I had someone try to sell me on some super oxygen water by doing some balance tests. I was so mad by the time he was done I never returned to his legitimate business--a business that went bankrupt a couple of years ago.

If Robert Kyosaki ever said a single thing that was legit it was this: "There's so many legal ways to make money, I don't know why anyone would scam" (bad paraphrase) the point being that MLM's and all their ilk are just old world scum and we should all do our part to make them disappear.

Last edited by a moderator:

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Ha ha, so are you going to talk with him?

Nope. I was browsing his Facebook and it's quite clear to me that he's too focused on the EVENT and doesn't appreciate the PROCESS just yet. It's a huge red flag to me when someone litters their FB with pics of themselves at the beach, in front of exotic cars, and always wearing business suits. I like jeans and t-shirts. When you start making some money, you almost want to be invisible.

He's crazy enough to register his website domain under his personal name and home address so I'll be sending him a copy of TMF . I have a stack of the first editions with the Murcielago on the cover!

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Met the owner of a successful MLM recently. this guy came in a black Rolls Royce Phantom with a license plate that said "Easymoni" (which made no sense to me until I found out he's in the MLM game...marketing expense never looked so luxurious ;) )

The second I heard that, I said to him "You know what...your the man. Why? Because you didn't take part it in one.. your started your own. Whole nother game your in."

Guy looks at me for a second, clear that he'd never heard anyone actually say that to him, leans in, smiles and quietly says "....I want to sit on the throne, not help other guys lift it"

On that note...
I feel I have to commend @MJ DeMarco for putting critical knowledge in so many peoples lives, don't know how long it would've taken me to figure it all out if you didn't lay out the fastlane path. Sincere Thanks, if there is anything..I mean anything.. just a message away :)

P.s. Jealous that this guy got to write off his Rolls as a marketing expense...gotta start doing my research lol

Tengen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Recent events have necessitated a brief vent, so please bear with me.

MLM shit has been a scourge on my life in one form or another. I remember as a young kid my parents were friends with this suspicious lady who was involved with Amway. Yeah, she seemed rich and stuff and my mom bought some of the products but to me it always seemed off that she would spend money on this crap when there were cheaper alternatives at the supermarket, but hey, I was just a kid, what did i know.:wideyed:

During my university years another family friend mentioned ACN, and i thought it was the gayest product ever. I mean, come on, video telephones? We already have a proven technology with Skype, Google Hangouts and whatnot and you want to rope me in to sell this shit? The demonstration was equally tacky, and it didn't help that i was surrounded by a dozen glassy-eyed zombies. :cookoo:

After graduation from uni i somehow landed in a job doing door-to-door sales, trying to convince people to change their electricity billing or something. Every morning we would have our group sales pep talks, go through various techniques and scripts. This was where i learnt ABC, not some shitty speech Alec Baldwin made in some movie. Add to that the progression structure (make this many sales, become team leader, and get a bunch of team members under you!) and some brief research online, I soon realised what kind of shit i had landed into. The clincher was when I was going out one day and my "team leader" at the time was getting excited because we were going to some derelict neighbourhood - apparently poor people made better marks, you could bullshit about contracts and get them to sign anything as long as you claimed they would save $$$ with bad maths. I quit that job after a month. :upyours:

So once again, a recent graduate and jobless, i handed out my CV here and there, hoping something would bite. Then some "recruitment agency" called and invited me to an "orientation briefing" with another crowd of young graduates. We were grouped up into rooms and ostensibly given exercises to evaluate our level. I was one of the "lucky ones" who got short listed. They then proceeded to give me a list of things to do, one of which was to draft a script for why I was a good candidate for "B2B sales". Sure, now i know it means business-to-business, but at the time i had no idea, thought it was a tech term and they were trying to get me into a tech company.

Again some quick research showed me how wrong i was. This "recruitment company" was just another shill using boiler-room tactics to get companies to hire impressionable young people for telesales jobs, on which they get commissions.. Lots of unhappy reviews from ex-candidates and ex-employees. This really shit me at the time - i was now a product. :totalbs:

Enough about me, back to the family. Around this time my mother made friends with someone involved with eCosway. Shit shop with shitter products. Thank god my mom didn't put down any money herself, but didn't stop her from volunteering (for free!) to help her friend with her shop.

And what happened today to trigger this vent? My mother discovered the miracle of Protandim, where a brief google search will reveal numerous legal issues and the fact that it is... wait for it... an MLM! Just at lunch today she was telling my dad how she was planning to buy a bunch of cheap USBs, load some videos and hand them out to friends! :banghead:

I know various holy texts extol the virtues of honoring your parents, but sometimes i wish i could slap the shit out of my mother. And mother's day was only recently past too...

Because of this i now have a visceral, seething hatred of all things sales and MLM. I understand on a rational level how useful sales, marketing and copywriting techniques are but I cannot help but react with disdain at minimum or rage at worst during any discussion of the subject.

Phew. That's better. Back to building my fast lane.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I look at it like there are millions of people wanting you to give them some direction, some value in exchange for money. They need a plan laid out for them and given step by step instructions. In return, they hand you money and sell things for you on straight commission. It's a huge market and huge demand out there for legitimate products and services/business opportunities to provide value to those people. Look at all the people that do plunk down some money at a seminar etc....

Even if you are selling them sales tools, selling the gold miners shovels. Most of them fizzle out after they've bugged their friends/family ;) However, they'd probably buy some internet/social media/email marketing sales tool kit to expand their business.

They aren't quite pure entrepreneurs w/ the drive to figure things out for themselves, but many are able to have some gumption to follow a plan and have some autonomy. I'm glad we have all types of people, businesses need employees etc... Always liked Zig Ziglar's quote, "you can in life what you want, if you help enough others get what they want."

It seems like the scam MLM's define the rest of the legit direct selling business model. I don't really get that. Scams are scams whether they are online businesses, brick and mortar, or MLM/network marketing. Plenty of scams to go around, in every category. Traditional sales channels are also multi level in a sense. A manufacturer hires a VP/sales who hires sales people who hire brokers/mfg reps who sign on distributors wholesalers who have sales people to sell to end users, who in turn sell to their customers. Network marketing is just another way to get to market to the end users that can work well for certain product groups.

As an entrepreneur, there is some value to consider various models when going to market. Diversification of customer base is an important one. I'd sleep better at night if I have my sales spread out among hundreds/thousands of customers(direct control), rather than a couple big retailers that can change on a whim and leave me high and dry. I've been pretty fortunate in those situations in the past but have seen many businesses get crumpled by quick change by large customers. Ultimately, if you don't 'control' the customer(having direct customer relationships), you can be very vulnerable. Ways to have that 'control' is to sell direct, or develop a loyal brand following etc... If you don't, the only degree of 'control' you have is price, and you eventually get beat down to keep business.

However, I do get the gist of this thread, highlighting the scammy side of MLM idiots bugging everyone they see. Kinda like brick and mortar spam. Not a good sustainable way to run a biz.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The second I heard that, I said to him "You know what...your the man. Why? Because you didn't take part it in one.. your started your own. Whole nother game your in."
Guy looks at me for a second, clear that he'd never heard anyone actually say that to him, leans in, smiles and quietly says "....I want to sit on the throne, not help other guys lift it"

Golden. Straight from the OWNER of the MLM himself, not from some peasant who can be brainwashed with a leased Mercedes C-Class.

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
Say what you like, these guys are good. They are like the boiler rooms. They sell you the dream, create a compelling emotional case. They tell you about your pains in life and get you very enticed. Its only when you are convinced (up till that point, everything they say is correct) and you wonder what step you should take. Thats where they F*ck you. They tell you to click the link below and get started today !

So sad, if only they put this energy into their own projects.

davedev

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
371%
Jun 3, 2013
Florida
So sad, if only they put this energy into their own projects

And there you have it. That's the true tragedy of the whole deal.

If only they put their boundless energy towards a more useful purpose
If only they had their own list of 10,000 customers to sell to
If only they owned the products that they sell

If only they built something of their own.

It burns most of us up because it plays on a handful of weaknesses that plague 9-5'ers who want to be entrepreneurs.

status symbols (events)
being part of a movement
the siren call of a shortcut to wealth (liberation from a job)

IMO. The entrepreneur leverages all of his/her education to different spaces.

MLM needs you to dedicate all of your education to their vision alone.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California

This is probably what bothers me the most about MLM's. All show and no dough...the "I am better than you" attitude.

Remember that random person who messaged me on FB to sell me his Amway "opportunity"? Since he's my age, I wanted to help him out and give him detailed facts as to why his business isn't viable. He's been in Amway for many years so as expected, he had very clever rebuttals for each statement that I had. I could've responded to those rebuttals, but there really is no point in trying to convince somebody who's been in scAmway for many years. He probably wouldn't hear me out and just get offended anyway.

Then he started to position himself as though he holds such enormous value to the world. He said, "Gosh, where do you get your facts? I was actually planning to ask you if you wanted to grab some coffee, but you've lost all credibility to me. SMH"

He lost all credibility to me when he said scAmway has produced the second highest number of Multimillionaires in history- second to ONLY Microsoft, which achieved this through stocks. Ask any drone for verifiable proof of that and they won't have an answer. They just blindly accept what they're told...because obviously the guys at the top would never tell a lie.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.