The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Guidance for a kid

G

Guest34764

Alright to start off i should mention my age currently.I'm 15 and i'm looking to switch into fast lane.Pretty ambiguous for someone my age but hell yeah.I'm currently learning Java script and Java.My real only question is where should i go from here?I assume that many people won't hire a kid to code a website for them or debug their code or w/e.It's just basic knowledge to pick an adult with a degree in coding over a kid who not much experience or credentials.That's not going to stop me from learning,Hell no.I've already started a small local business i do at my school (I clean shoes for people and get a bit of money).Though i'm under the impression i should save that money and use for funding for perhaps a website?I'm still very confused on where to go after i complete my courses and Java and Javascript.So any advice on any of this would be appreciated.I know that my thread isn't very detailed but i'm writing this in haste (about to go to school).I will reply to everyone once i get back and home.Thanks for reading this and sorry in advance for any spelling mistakes!

tl;dr I'm just wondering where to go from here in my current situation.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
When I was fifteen I was sitting in my room sleeping, listening to music, trying not to read, in the living room watching television, or dreaming about boys. At night listening to Dr. Ruth on the radio. What else does an introvert do with bossy parents. Anyway, nice to know in 2015 you're thinking right at early age. You're a smart kid.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Enter programming contests and check larger technology company websites for programming puzzlers they will put on their sites. You will be noticed and opportunities will open up.

Go see a few profs at the CS department of the local university.

Call a few companies and tell the. You are doing a report for school on programming and ask if they would be willing to help.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
G

Guest34764

Thanks for all the replies,I'm checking this at school currently so i don't have a lot of time to reply.When i get home i'll reply to y'all.I'm on the last few chapters of reading Mj's book and i'm loving it!Though it is a problem since the material is directed at adults not teenagers.It's not much of a deter to just think around it.I can't wait to finish it and i'm loving it completely.I'll be home in a few hours.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Alright to start off i should mention my age currently.I'm 15 and i'm looking to switch into fast lane.Pretty ambiguous for someone my age but hell yeah.I'm currently learning Java script and Java.My real only question is where should i go from here?I assume that many people won't hire a kid to code a website for them or debug their code or w/e.It's just basic knowledge to pick an adult with a degree in coding over a kid who not much experience or credentials.That's not going to stop me from learning,Hell no.I've already started a small local business i do at my school (I clean shoes for people and get a bit of money).Though i'm under the impression i should save that money and use for funding for perhaps a website?I'm still very confused on where to go after i complete my courses and Java and Javascript.So any advice on any of this would be appreciated.I know that my thread isn't very detailed but i'm writing this in haste (about to go to school).I will reply to everyone once i get back and home.Thanks for reading this and sorry in advance for any spelling mistakes!

Let me throw some terms at you. Object-oriented programming, design patterns, dependency injection, TDD, BDD, JEE. Any of those ring a bell? Learning to code is one thing, learning to code professionally is another. The reason I mention these terms is not to scare you away, but because for what you want, these are somethings you will need to know. You have 2 paths laid out in the bolded sentence.

The first path is a consultant, meaning you want to target someone and help them establish or build an online presence. That's less about coding, and more about design. I can spin up a VM at a provider like Digital Ocean, have a Wordpress instance configured, and have a basic site setup in 15 minutes. After that's it playing with the plugins, then determine what themes to use. If the customer wants additional functionality, that's either finding a plugin, or building it. If you want to build it yourself, that's one thing, but you can probably outsource it.

The second path is in "debug their code". Now you're actually talking about coding itself. A degree can help, but it's not required. This is where all those terms I threw at you come into play. What you need to do is to market yourself as a developer. How much money do you have? One of the people I follow, John Somnez, has developed a course specifically for this. I'd recommend it. He also has a book, Soft Skills, which is worth picking up. Also, take a look at Hack Hands and Github.

You might notice I haven't mentioned the actual profession of coding itself, that's because it's a huge field. If you want some help, PM me.

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
@MJ DeMarco you could write a book on this... Fast lane for teenagers

I'd pre-buy that today.

A huge motivator for me and entrepreneurship is setting the example for my kids. This is actually bigger than a liquidity event to me at this point.

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014

Awesome!

Save that money, yes.

I'd suggest you start building original code that does something you think is interesting or fun, you don't necessarily need to have a profit motive. You just need to keep getting better at your craft.

In parallel start looking at how coders make big money as employees, and focus your learning on the sorts of platforms that takes. The reason I suggest this isn't to be an employee, but because these are the skills entrepreneurs need to build their businesses. Start thinking of ideas that you could make money on. James Altucher recommends writing down 10 ideas a day, this might be a good practice for you to start as a means to train your idea muscle.

Just put yourself out there and keep working it. If you haven't noticed, adults will be very impressed and go WAY out of their way to help a kid like you. Enjoy it while it lasts. :D

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I'd pre-buy that today.

A huge motivator for me and entrepreneurship is setting the example for my kids. This is actually bigger than a liquidity event to me at this point.

I would pre-order one also.

If Kyosaki can do it, MJ DeMarco can do it better.

G

Guest34764

Let me throw some terms at you. Object-oriented programming, design patterns, dependency injection, TDD, BDD, JEE. Any of those ring a bell? Learning to code is one thing, learning to code professionally is another. The reason I mention these terms is not to scare you away, but because for what you want, these are somethings you will need to know. You have 2 paths laid out in the bolded sentence.

The first path is a consultant, meaning you want to target someone and help them establish or build an online presence. That's less about coding, and more about design. I can spin up a VM at a provider like Digital Ocean, have a Wordpress instance configured, and have a basic site setup in 15 minutes. After that's it playing with the plugins, then determine what themes to use. If the customer wants additional functionality, that's either finding a plugin, or building it. If you want to build it yourself, that's one thing, but you can probably outsource it.

The second path is in "debug their code". Now you're actually talking about coding itself. A degree can help, but it's not required. This is where all those terms I threw at you come into play. What you need to do is to market yourself as a developer. How much money do you have? One of the people I follow, John Somnez, has developed a course specifically for this. I'd recommend it. He also has a book, Soft Skills, which is worth picking up. Also, take a look at Hack Hands and Github.

You might notice I haven't mentioned the actual profession of coding itself, that's because it's a huge field. If you want some help, PM me.

I'm finally home so lets get some replies done!I actually appreciate all the replies you guys have done,It's awesome seeing people going out of there way to help me.I do understand that right now i'm obviously not up to par with anyone that's a professional.That's one of the biggest areas i have to work on is actually getting better.I'm planning on getting a good basis of Java and javascript then heading into mobile development.I do want to monetize as quick as possible.I'm going to assume that mobile competition isn't as high as coding for websites and what-not.I'll probably head into Android development after completing my courses.I'm currently using the website codeacademy.com to learn code.I'll have to check out your website!I'll go into more detail when people ask but yeah thanks a lot for making the response.I'm actually finding some coding to be a bit difficult to learn and might need a mentor >.<

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
I'm finally home so lets get some replies done!I actually appreciate all the replies you guys have done,It's awesome seeing people going out of there way to help me.I do understand that right now i'm obviously not up to par with anyone that's a professional.That's one of the biggest areas i have to work on is actually getting better.I'm planning on getting a good basis of Java and javascript then heading into mobile development.I do want to monetize as quick as possible.I'm going to assume that mobile competition isn't as high as coding for websites and what-not.I'll probably head into Android development after completing my courses.I'm currently using the website codeacademy.com to learn code.I'll have to check out your website!I'll go into more detail when people ask but yeah thanks a lot for making the response.I'm actually finding some coding to be a bit difficult to learn and might need a mentor >.<

I can mentor you.

G

Guest34764

Awesome!

Save that money, yes.

I'd suggest you start building original code that does something you think is interesting or fun, you don't necessarily need to have a profit motive. You just need to keep getting better at your craft.

In parallel start looking at how coders make big money as employees, and focus your learning on the sorts of platforms that takes. The reason I suggest this isn't to be an employee, but because these are the skills entrepreneurs need to build their businesses. Start thinking of ideas that you could make money on. James Altucher recommends writing down 10 ideas a day, this might be a good practice for you to start as a means to train your idea muscle.

Just put yourself out there and keep working it. If you haven't noticed, adults will be very impressed and go WAY out of their way to help a kid like you. Enjoy it while it lasts. :D

Thanks for the reply!I'm planning on being a entrepreneur like MJ was.Of course it won't be what he did but i actually intend to start off making mobile apps.I heard it's relatively easy and you can make a few bucks off of it.It would be good experience for me to learn about competition and what-not.As for the actual idea of the mobile app i have a few in mind ;) But yeah,I'll definitely keep on working on it.Thanks man!

G

Guest34764

I can mentor you.
That would be awesome i need someone to show me the in and outs of all this mumbo-jumbo that's hard for me to wrap my head around sometimes.Also for those quick coding questions when i get stuck.So should i send you email or?....

G

Guest34764

When I was fifteen I was sitting in my room sleeping, listening to music, trying not to read, in the living room watching television, or dreaming about boys. At night listening to Dr. Ruth on the radio. What else does an introvert do with bossy parents. Anyway, nice to know in 2015 you're thinking right at early age. You're a smart kid.
People say i take things to fast sometimes,This may indeed be the case here too.If it is,I don't care i'm loving it currently.

G

Guest34764

@MJ DeMarco you could write a book on this... Fast lane for teenagers
Haha,That would be awesome.As stated in my first post i'm just about done with the book and how cool would it be if all this was written for someone my age and not an adult.I'm sure it would inspire more people to get out there early and do stuff!

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Haha,That would be awesome.As stated in my first post i'm just about done with the book and how cool would it be if all this was written for someone my age and not an adult.I'm sure it would inspire more people to get out there early and do stuff!

The obvious question is if you want this, why not write it yourself?

Also, just PM me and we can set up information.

G

Guest34764

I sent you a conversation invitation.I'm still new and don't know how to PM :p I hope it's not to obvious lol.

G

Guest34764

Time to write. This won't be about how some 15 year old kid became a billionaire.

It's 2022, I made this thread when I was 15 and I am now 22. Time flies but not as much as you might think. A year is a long time, a long time to try things out, fail, maybe work a bit, maybe not. Play video games all day, study all day, eat junk food, go to the gym, yadda yadda. I did all of these things and more.

In this thread I mentioned cleaning shoes, I quit that within a week or two. It sucked from what I could remember, getting young kids to pay money on an agreed amount and date did not go well.

When I was 18 I got my Real Estate license. Studied for a few months, took the test and passed it on my first try! Awesome but what happened was that I sat on my license for a few months, didn't want to pay the huge fees (I was 18) and ultimately I gave it up. My excuse was that it was too hard to get into being so young and that older people (my main market) would be disinterested in working with someone incredibly young.

When I was 19 I bought over 1,000 crustaceans and put them in my room so I could start a business by breeding and selling expensive breeds. I sunk a bit under 1,000 into them. Really not that much in the grand scheme of things but at the time it was a lot for me. What happened? The AC in our house broke during a hot Florida summer. Killed everything but before then my motivation to sell them was killed by my living situation and the strain between me and my parents.

Between 16 to around late 20, I worked at a JCPenny, then I got a sales job and made a good buck for a few months when I was around 17. Then at 18 I worked at Olive Garden as a dishwasher making a very bad buck. After that it was Ross for close to a year as a retail associate.

I quit everything at 20 and by then I had around 10,000 in my bank account.

I decided to get into 3D art for video game production. This was no whim, I had a passion for art even before being 18. I started very slowly doing 3D art every day but it was only ever for a few hours. Eventually around the middle of the year I took it with a stride and was doing it for hours every day. I started making portfolio pieces to showcase my skill and I had them up on a website and....nothing.

I started sweating, the money I had saved up (10 grand) had been dwindling. I was eating one, maybe two meals a day and stopped paying my phone. My parents did not enjoy what I was doing, they were upset I was in my room all day on my computer.

I found short reprieve through Upwork and Fiverr. At this point, I was around 21 and through some online friends I was able to secure incredibly loose freelance work. Hardly enough to pay for my bills but I wasn't sinking money every month any more. I was adamant that getting a part time job would kill my drive or mess up what I was doing. I was also scared, I didn't want to go back to retail or the food industry. It scared me to think that I'd have to leave my little bubble in my room and go out and earn a small wage talking to people who also didn't want to be there.

Towards the end of me being 21,I was under constant pressure by my parents to get a full time job that required me to leave the house. My rent was increased, and each month that went by without me getting a job, my rent would be raised further. I was on the make or break it point with my finances. I threw a lot of my money into crypto hoping for returns about a year and a half prior and of course I never saw those returns.

But there was one hope. I had paid for a mentor around mid year to coach me through an asset and towards the end of the year I was able to successfully complete it and post it online to a public website where all professional artists post their portfolios and work.

I cried a lot, the asset that I had posted received more attention than anything I could hope for. It was slammed onto the front page and stayed in the top three posts for a while. My hard work had paid off, that post got me a somewhat steady freelance gig and I was able to stay afloat but sadly it was not good enough. Not good enough for my parents, rent was going to go up and I started sweating again. I made a hasty decision and with my very supportive girlfriend I moved out within a week. She basically paid for everything, I'm not ashamed to admit that. Without her help I would have been stuck in an awful situation.

The post was still doing numbers online and although our expenses went up with moving out I still had a meager amount saved up to help out where I could. But something very unexpected happened. I was contacted by a very huge company and within a week I was freelancing for a hourly I could have never dreamed of getting anywhere else. I could suddenly afford to help out with expenses and build up my savings account.

A month goes by of me working feverously at my PC so I could see about getting an offer. and to my surprise they did want to make me an employee! I cried, again. I received an offer from them and it blew me away. I went from making 1-7k year freelancing to making 6 figures, having a bonus, being able to have all the benefits I want, seemingly overnight.
Although it really wasn't overnight at all. I had spent the better part of two years bent over on my chair, staring at a monitor for hours, going through emotional ups and downs. There were things I was considering that I won't actually write out but there was a lot of dark times. Even before then I was trying and failing at things, learning as I go.

Today I received my first pay check and I'm ecstatic, today is the first day I can put money towards retirement and the coworkers I have are amazing at what they do. There's an incredible amount for me to learn and grow.

I still have goals and ideas of entrepreneurship, one day I would like my own game studio but first I must become seasoned in my line of work and I found the perfect spot to do that. I sort of just spilled my guts out on my keyboard. I spent a long time typing and reading on these forums and I suddenly disappeared and I will probably slink back into the dark for a while again as I continue working and developing my skills as an adult.

But I would just like to give a big thanks to @MJ DeMarco for opening this forum up to everyone and authoring the books that he does. The Millionaire Fastlane opened up my eyes and mind when I was younger and I'll forever remember it.

Thanks for reading, till next time (in 5 years I suppose).

Trait

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Jun 22, 2021
Bangladesh
Time to write. This won't be about how some 15 year old kid became a billionaire.

It's 2022, I made this thread when I was 15 and I am now 22. Time flies but not as much as you might think. A year is a long time, a long time to try things out, fail, maybe work a bit, maybe not. Play video games all day, study all day, eat junk food, go to the gym, yadda yadda. I did all of these things and more.

In this thread I mentioned cleaning shoes, I quit that within a week or two. It sucked from what I could remember, getting young kids to pay money on an agreed amount and date did not go well.

When I was 18 I got my Real Estate license. Studied for a few months, took the test and passed it on my first try! Awesome but what happened was that I sat on my license for a few months, didn't want to pay the huge fees (I was 18) and ultimately I gave it up. My excuse was that it was too hard to get into being so young and that older people (my main market) would be disinterested in working with someone incredibly young.

When I was 19 I bought over 1,000 crustaceans and put them in my room so I could start a business by breeding and selling expensive breeds. I sunk a bit under 1,000 into them. Really not that much in the grand scheme of things but at the time it was a lot for me. What happened? The AC in our house broke during a hot Florida summer. Killed everything but before then my motivation to sell them was killed by my living situation and the strain between me and my parents.

Between 16 to around late 20, I worked at a JCPenny, then I got a sales job and made a good buck for a few months when I was around 17. Then at 18 I worked at Olive Garden as a dishwasher making a very bad buck. After that it was Ross for close to a year as a retail associate.

I decided to get into 3D art for video game production. This was no whim, I had a passion for art even before being 18. I started very slowly doing 3D art every day but it was only ever for a few hours. Eventually around the middle of the year I took it with a stride and was doing it for hours every day. I started making portfolio pieces to showcase my skill and I had them up on a website and....nothing.

I started sweating, the money I had saved up (10 grand) had been dwindling. I was eating one, maybe two meals a day and stopped paying my phone. My parents did not enjoy what I was doing, they were upset I was in my room all day on my computer.

I found short reprieve through Upwork and Fiverr. At this point, I was around 21 and through some online friends I was able to secure incredibly loose freelance work. Hardly enough to pay for my bills but I wasn't sinking money every month any more. I was adamant that getting a part time job would kill my drive or mess up what I was doing. I was also scared, I didn't want to go back to retail or the food industry. It scared me to think that I'd have to leave my little bubble in my room and go out and earn a small wage talking to people who also didn't want to be there.

Towards the end of me being 21,I was under constant pressure by my parents to get a full time job that required me to leave the house. My rent was increased, and each month that went by without me getting a job, my rent would be raised further. I was on the make or break it point with my finances. I threw a lot of my money into crypto hoping for returns about a year and a half prior and of course I never saw those returns.

But there was one hope. I had paid for a mentor around mid year to coach me through an asset and towards the end of the year I was able to successfully complete it and post it online to a public website where all professional artists post their portfolios and work.

I cried a lot, the asset that I had posted received more attention than anything I could hope for. It was slammed onto the front page and stayed in the top three posts for a while. My hard work had paid off, that post got me a somewhat steady freelance gig and I was able to stay afloat but sadly it was not good enough. Not good enough for my parents, rent was going to go up and I started sweating again. I made a hasty decision and with my very supportive girlfriend I moved out within a week. She basically paid for everything, I'm not ashamed to admit that. Without her help I would have been stuck in an awful situation.

The post was still doing numbers online and although our expenses went up with moving out I still had a meager amount saved up to help out where I could. But something very unexpected happened. I was contacted by a very huge company and within a week I was freelancing for a hourly I could have never dreamed of getting anywhere else. I could suddenly afford to help out with expenses and build up my savings account.

A month goes by of me working feverously at my PC so I could see about getting an offer. and to my surprise they did want to make me an employee! I cried, again. I received an offer from them and it blew me away. I went from making 1-7k year freelancing to making 6 figures, having a bonus, being able to have all the benefits I want, seemingly overnight.
Although it really wasn't overnight at all. I had spent the better part of two years bent over on my chair, staring at a monitor for hours, going through emotional ups and downs. There were things I was considering that I won't actually write out but there was a lot of dark times. Even before then I was trying and failing at things, learning as I go.

Today I received my first pay check and I'm ecstatic, today is the first day I can put money towards retirement and the coworkers I have are amazing at what they do. There's an incredible amount for me to learn and grow.

I still have goals and ideas of entrepreneurship, one day I would like my own game studio but first I must become seasoned in my line of work and I found the perfect spot to do that. I sort of just spilled my guts out on my keyboard. I spent a long time typing and reading on these forums and I suddenly disappeared and I will probably slink back into the dark for a while again as I continue working and developing my skills as an adult.

But I would just like to give a big thanks to @MJ DeMarco for opening this forum up to everyone and authoring the books that he does. The Millionaire Fastlane opened up my eyes and mind when I was younger and I'll forever remember it.

I wrote congrats but must've accidentally edited it out.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Good for you picking up a skill and now getting paid to improve it. It lends itself to freelancing so consider picking up clients, and then consider how to divorce your income from your time.

Stick around. Make friends, build relationships, create win-wins. This forum is amazing for that.

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021

Woah, great story, thanks for sharing. Didn't realize the post was 5 years old until I read this. Good thing on keeping it consistent !

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.