The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Grow Bigger Than Your Problems

Anything related to matters of the mind

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Around 2007/8 I learned that in order to do bigger deals and take on bigger projects you have to grow bigger than your problems you currently have.

There was a time that a flat tire or spilled milk was a big problem in my life. Small problems would get under my skin and cause me to make bad choices.

In order to do REI I had to learn to handle little stuff better and recognize the big picture/problems.

I understood this for me but I am amazed with my wife. She is the saver of the family, very conservative and risk averse. Our first investment property was scary for both of us but probably more for her given her mentality.

Over the years we have done many REI deals and not all of them have gone our way. This has toughened both of us because we both see that we can survive. She has seen how bad it can get and it’s OK.

The last few weeks I have been considering new directions. I have a steep learning curve. I threw out a possible deal to my wife last night to see where she was mentally. I told her the upside and the downside, didn’t sugar coat it. After many years of marriage, I was expecting a firm "no way, too risky". I was surprised at her response. “Well, considering all the REI stuff we have done, this deal is nothing.â€

We are both works in progress but I have to give kudos to my wife for her mindset change. I am impressed.

Point is that what was once scary is now the norm. We are both ready for new and exciting challenges.

If you are letting fear of the unknown hold you back, you have to break through. Think about the worst that could possibly happen and could you survive it. If the answer is yes, then do your due diligence and move on! You will never get where you want to go until you get past this irrational fear.

I wish you all good fortune on your journey.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
congrats on learning to overcome small problems in the broad spectrum. keep it up! Plus I'm glad you have a supportive spouse, always an important ingredient.

One thing I've always tried to remember is this: Your success is determined by what you can ignore.

D

DeletedUser2

awesome! just plain awesome.

My wife was very similar. but we married at different times in our lives. I was 30, she was 28. but I had already 10 yrs of entrepreneurship. she just finished her doctorate.

Very different.

when we had gotten married I already had over 250 apartments, and was in the process of changing directions.

she, very conservative saver, only 1 way to do things ect.

Me.... well I told her to hang on cause it would be fun, and crazy.

Drove her crazy for the first year. but she was by far one of the most adaptable people I have ever met, because she just flowed with what ever I tossed her way.

I have to say, alot of my success, was because of the woman behind me. supportive, and a$$ kicking when needed to.
and she never let me just bulldoze her!
awesome.

Sometimes, these posts, need to be more about our women in our lives who help us kick a$$, not just about us kicking a$$.

:)

Z

andyredsox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 24, 2012
- I agree with your post, you have to take the challenge in order to settle things up, especially when it comes to business. We shouldn’t let our issues to ruined our plans to be successful. Thanks!

Edge

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 20, 2007
Kansas
Hey Runum - What ended up happening? Did you move in a new direction?

One thing I also learned is growing bigger than your problems turns into creating your own problems. Creating and solving your own problems can also be filled with opportunity you wouldn't have ever seen if you didn't attempt to grow out of your problems in the first place.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Hey Runum - What ended up happening? Did you move in a new direction?

One thing I also learned is growing bigger than your problems turns into creating your own problems. Creating and solving your own problems can also be filled with opportunity you wouldn't have ever seen if you didn't attempt to grow out of your problems in the first place.

Ahh, I forgot about this thread. Thanks for asking and I agree, solve the little problems and it will create others you never thought of. Those may be opportunities.

We did get into importing and retail sales. For the juicy details you have to be an INSIDERS though.

Worldisyours

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Oct 20, 2013
Once you do something out of the norm consistently, it becomes your norm. The focus is you and your norms. You have a systematic approach to your REI and your risks have been minimized, in turn increasing probability of success. One important factor to success is maintaining a manageable sustainable system that minimizes as must risk as possible.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.