The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Got an offer to sell Precious stones. Should I take it?

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Aug 9, 2019
Hi all.
So yesterday a friend of my wife, who owns a big gem mine in Brazil contacted us and told us that he wants help to export gem-stones mainly to europe where we live.
Does anyone know about the gem selling business in europe, online or the rest of the world who have any tips on where to start? I was a very good salesmany a few years ago before I joined the military, but I'm retired from that field now. I don't have any experience in neither gemstones or international sales.
Any advice would be appreciated and also where to start. If it is better to sell everything online or find dealers here in Europe?
Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I used to have a findings business (jewellery components). Are you talking precious or semi-precious stones?

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Do you collect gems yourself? What do you know about them?

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Aug 9, 2019
I used to have a findings business (jewellery components). Are you talking precious or semi-precious stones?
It is semi precious stones. I dont have the specs or the info about the stones yet, he will send everything in a few days. I only have some photos on some semiprecious stones, among them a big bag of cut aquamarines.
What is a findings business? My google skills is failing me.

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Aug 9, 2019
Do you collect gems yourself? What do you know about them?
I do not know nothing of them yet because this just came out the blue. I am a fast learner however.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
It is semi precious stones. I dont have the specs or the info about the stones yet, he will send everything in a few days. I only have some photos on some semiprecious stones, among them a big bag of cut aquamarines.
What is a findings business? My google skills is failing me.

It's worthwhile to get a strong base knowledge of any industry you want to involve yourself in. Lacking knowledge of the basics invites a multitude of problems that will strangle any potential viability you may have.

This particular industry is filled to the teeth with unscrupulous suppliers, out right scam artists and ill informed, but not necessarily malicious people who have been duped by the previously mentioned people and are unknowingly passing the buck along to you.

Spend a few weeks learning the ins and outs of the trade of the particular gemstones you have access to, if possible contact some of the collectors groups in your area if they have them to get a feel for the market and state of things.

Lots of people lose big trying to chase gems without knowing what they're doing and the sharks jump on them.

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Aug 9, 2019
It's worthwhile to get a strong base knowledge of any industry you want to involve yourself in. Lacking knowledge of the basics invites a multitude of problems that will strangle any potential viability you may have.

This particular industry is filled to the teeth with unscrupulous suppliers, out right scam artists and ill informed, but not necessarily malicious people who have been duped by the previously mentioned people and are unknowingly passing the buck along to you.

Spend a few weeks learning the ins and outs of the trade of the particular gemstones you have access to, if possible contact some of the collectors groups in your area if they have them to get a feel for the market and state of things.

Lots of people lose big trying to chase gems without knowing what they're doing and the sharks jump on them.
Thanks for the input. It is very true that you need to learn the market which will take alot of time and effort.
So my question is really if this is a good oppurtunity since I have a direct link to a big miner in brazil who is friend of the family. Apparently he has very good reputation and does everything by the book, easy to work with and everything is 100% legal and documented, so in essence I cant ask for a better supplier.
At the moment however I'm studying medicine at the university and working at a nursing home to pay the bills, so I would much rather sell gem stones as my income than changing diapers on old people. And who knows what the future will bring.
My scedule will let me also travel about 10 weeks during the summer and about 4 weeks during the winter.

As such I have been thinking of online marketing or try to sell directly to jewelry manufacturers.
Is this just a silly dream in my situation or is it actually feasable?

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
What sort of gems does the mine produce?

Many gems are not fit for jewelry because they're too soft. However they're used in raw, cut, and/or polished form for things like decor, collecting, and spiritual uses.

Then there's the issue of clarity, gems for jewelry typically have high clarity or else they cannot sell for very much.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Last edited:

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I don't know anything about the European market or the market out here for that matter but I have a lot of friends in the industry and Bangkok is a major trading hub for gems. If you can tell me what you have supply for and the prices I can send it over to some guys to see if it's worthwhile.

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Aug 9, 2019
What sort of gems does the mine produce?

Many gems are not fit for jewelry because they're too soft. However they're used in raw, cut, and/or polished form for things like decor, collecting, and spiritual uses.

Then there's the issue of clarity, gems for jewelry typically have high clarity or else they cannot sell for very much.
I'm currently waiting for all the specifics, but so far, I understand that they mine both stones made for jewelry, industry and stones you can sell for spirutual or other uses.

NO do NOT do it. What if you want to have kids one day????

oh wait
I'm sure it will work out :)
I don't know anything about the European market or the market out here for that matter but I have a lot of friends in the industry and Bangkok is a major trading hub for gems. If you can tell me what you have supply for and the prices I can send it over to some guys to see if it's worthwhile.
Thanks that would be great. Its easy to travel to Bangkok from Sweden where I live so location wise that would work out perfect. I'm just waiting for all the specifics on the stones and hopefully thay will come shortly.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I know absolutely nothing about the gem market. But what I do know, is it’s a very complex, very controlled, and very “good old boys” system.

As @Azure mentioned, it’s an industry where it’s very easy to get scammed or in over your head. Definitely take it slow.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I would stay well away from precious and higher end semi-precious stones as you simply do not have the experience (this is the area people are warning you about). The lower end stuff that is more suited to the craft/lower end jewellery industry would be fine to dip your toes into. It really depends on what is available to you plus what contacts you can make.

There are loads of jewellery component supply companies in Europe selling direct to the trade and others straight to the consumer. If you have images, accurate descriptions and prices it should be fairly straightforward to determine if you can make sales at a margin which makes it worthwhile to all parties concerned.

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Aug 9, 2019
I know absolutely nothing about the gem market. But what I do know, is it’s a very complex, very controlled, and very “good old boys” system.

As @Azure mentioned, it’s an industry where it’s very easy to get scammed or in over your head. Definitely take it slow.
I would stay well away from precious and higher end semi-precious stones as you simply do not have the experience (this is the area people are warning you about). The lower end stuff that is more suited to the craft/lower end jewellery industry would be fine to dip your toes into. It really depends on what is available to you plus what contacts you can make.

There are loads of jewellery component supply companies in Europe selling direct to the trade and others straight to the consumer. If you have images, accurate descriptions and prices it should be fairly straightforward to determine if you can make sales at a margin which makes it worthwhile to all parties concerned.

Yes if I would to start in this I would definetly take it slow so I dont get in way over my head since It will take many years I believe to learn the higher end market.

I think that would be a good way to start by selling lower end stones to supply companies.
At the moment, I only have theese pictures since this idea came very spontaneous for both parties. I will however have a few month with nothing to do for a while so it will give me time to start at new project.

Attachments

• 61a66971-38ce-44a6-b705-87e1ce998466.jpg
    61a66971-38ce-44a6-b705-87e1ce998466.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 7446c6d9-12bf-474a-890d-065d00a3453f.jpg
    7446c6d9-12bf-474a-890d-065d00a3453f.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 8
  • bfd293a3-77c8-42db-8b6b-c5a9c5bb419a.jpg
    bfd293a3-77c8-42db-8b6b-c5a9c5bb419a.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 8
  • WhatsApp Video 2019-08-08 at 19.56.43.mp4
    3.7 MB · Views: 8