The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Good bye.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
Hands up, I've responded like @loop101 in the past. I hope he / she hasn't actually left because this is one of those important lessons.

There are many trolls online, but the truth is I don't actually think that there are many in this forum. The "harsh" words are often from people who actually care the most. We know to do well in this entrepreneurial journey it's not enough to sit in the box and flick through the papers in there hoping to find something interesting. It's about getting outside of the box. It's about getting uncomfortable. It's about getting things wrong.

It's nice when people support a post I make. Anyone would be lying if they said they don't like the validation. The truth though is that when I go in thinking I'm writing an impressive post (that's where it's going wrong before I've even posted the thing) and then I get royally pulled up on some element of it... well those are the ones that really push me and provide the real education that has helped me grow.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
It's about getting uncomfortable. It's about getting things wrong.
What if it was about getting comfortable instead?? That's the thing with me. Finding something I can do that doesn't require too much brain power. And that I will be 100% comfortable doing.

Something I can really stand for and be proud of. Not just about the money, Or making money.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Finding a big market, profitable niche to dive in to??
By making a list of social networks? Damn, gotta try to fish with a bicycle!
What if it was about getting comfortable instead?? That's the thing with me. Finding something I can do that doesn't require too much brain power. And that I will be 100% comfortable doing.

Something I can really stand for and be proud of. Not just about the money, Or making money.
To be honest, I find that in business it's rarely raw brain power that is required. I mean, I never find tasks that are "hard". Comfortable, on the flip side, is something that you rarely are. Most things require going for it - sending that email, making that cold call, pushing for that sale, and generally getting out there and making things happen. Which is uncomfortable for most people, myself included. But it's worth it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
By making a list of social networks?
When you focus on one simple thing. You may get new ideas. And things can lead to another. That's basically my thinking about it. You may find new things when you turn over some stones.

To be honest, I find that in business it's rarely raw brain power that is required. I mean, I never find tasks that are "hard". Comfortable, on the flip side, is something that you rarely are.
I think we are speaking about different things. I about finding something that fits your core values. And you about life during running a company.

Last edited:

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015

When I'm talking uncomfortable, I'm discussing it in the same way as @Digamma. I think it's very rare, if not impossible to truly learn and develop in anything without being uncomfortable. We can only really relax in situations where we have a large degree of control and knowledge of a situation and what might happen. In other words... have all the answers. That's great for excelling in that particular environment. To move onto the next you have to be really to get out of the comfort zone. For some that manifests itself in fear and for others adrenaline.

Being comfortable with how you identify with what you do is a different thing. I work in a couple of industries where people do some very shady stuff and can earn 1000x what I can in a day... Dropping the fact that frankly most of it is illegal, the reason I don't do it myself is because it doesn't sit well with who I am and what I stand for. If I'm offering value to other that works for me. If I'd doing something at the expense of others... then I'm very uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
Being comfortable with how you identify with what you do is a different thing. I work in a couple of industries where people do some very shady stuff and can earn 1000x what I can in a day... Dropping the fact that frankly most of it is illegal, the reason I don't do it myself is because it doesn't sit well with who I am and what I stand for. If I'm offering value to other that works for me. If I'd doing something at the expense of others... then I'm very uncomfortable.
I totally get what you are saying with the uncomfortable thing when running a business. I will most likely be to when I start a business. I get the second part too, as that's the exactly the situation I am in now to some degree.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada
There is a limit to the amount of negative energy I allow other people to project in to my life, and you exceeded yours in your first post. I was also genuinely surprised and saddened to see other forum members encourage you. Clearly I am in the wrong place, so, good-bye.

There is no wrong place, only the wrong actions. Students become masters by learning from the shit that is thrown at them daily. Vengeance is in success, not in leaving.

Last edited:

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
OP might just be having a bad day. He's been here for a while so I'm sure it's not the first time he's absorbed criticism here. Some days the last thing you can handle hearing is an abrasive statement. Let's see if he comes back.

D

DeletedUser394

OP might just be having a bad day. He's been here for a while so I'm sure it's not the first time he's absorbed criticism here. Some days the last thing you can handle hearing is an abrasive statement. Let's see if he comes back.

I would be amazed if he doesn't return.

In virtually every case they return, except in instances where they are banned.

wrighj03

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Sep 20, 2015
He was on the right track. I've been reading a few creativity books lately. A few techniques involve that sort of thinking.
If you take the seven business models from the book and start looking at craigslist gigs, google trends etc. You could have a eureka moment.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
To waste even more time on this nonsense, you could also try to organize the list alphabetically

Oh my gosh!!!! Hahahahahaha Rep++++++

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I would be amazed if he doesn't return.

In virtually every case they return, except in instances where they are banned.
Speaking from experience. :mooned:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
There is a limit to the amount of negative energy I allow other people to project in to my life, and you exceeded yours in your first post. I was also genuinely surprised and saddened to see other forum members encourage you. Clearly I am in the wrong place, so, good-bye.

loop101 was last seen:
Today at 4:51 PM

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I don't think he's coming back so, I believe he's the second person I've known on this site to leave for the same reason. And it's not because they're not continuing their fast lane. I can't really blame them, because this should be a place for all to grow and become their full potential. I suppose some people see it as bullying while some entrepreneurs enjoy that side of it, others are more authoritative and know it's not necessary and b.s.

I guess I just get upset seeing people leave because other people need to carry on like statements above. And one of them prior to this did encourage me to leave. And some times I do ask myself the same question, because fortunately I enjoy learning here, but the way some people act, I just don't stand for either. And previously in the discussion I was told real entrepreneurs don't act like this. For the last two months I've ignored the first one that left because I want to succeed. The question is if I'm like the five people I hang out with, do I really want to become and bully or and entrepreneur that actually makes a difference in the world.

And sure I understand the authoritarian side, but I also know the other side. I'm just getting this off my chest, because other people do mention stuff on the forum about this type of stuff too. I may need to read the book again too, but I don't remember M.J. elaborating on bashing people.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I thought of yelp 3 days ago. Why people show dislike when others pull out a phone and go 'let me yelp a place to eat'. There is the knee jerk reaction of 'dude, don't be an obsessive nerd over this'.

I think the problem is this - people who don't use yelp don't understand how accurate (the strangers on the internet) yelp is.

yelp is worth checking out because the system is designed around people taking the reviews seriously and accurately. Sure, I only go by 4 star or better and a few pics, but that's enough to pick the best places in the area.

imagine you visit a different town, and you meet a friend, and you say you're hungry. He goes 'I know a good place'. you say, no problem, let's go. This is what it's like with yelp all the time. But you got it from the internet, so it's 'lame/strange/weird'. Whatever, I'll take my chances on deserts at cafe's, not at restaurants.

I guess that could be their tag-

Yelp - you know of a good place.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
I agree much with Mattie on this. Especially when it happend. You don't know what people have gone through in their life.

But at the same time. You need to live your life. I went to another board right after and realized it's mostly just dark humor, from the members on this forum.

Which I guess, I'm not much into in general. Monthy Python had only a few good scenes. The one when they cut his arms and legs off. And the ones when they are singing on the crosses. Other stuff I can barley remember.

A bit off topic. I know.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
Don't be an a**hole man.
It's so funny being and Empathetic leader. Proud to be one! I suppose some of us just learn what others don't in life.
Keep laughing. http://www.success.com/article/why-the-empathetic-leader-is-the-best-leader

lol i literally told OP that he's not the only one getting made fun of. i put myself on his level and told him its alright, in a joking manner. im just messing with him, not even trying to sound condescending at all, im just trying to get him to not take it as seriously as he is.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
lol i literally told OP that he's not the only one getting made fun of. i put myself on his level and told him its alright, in a joking manner. im just messing with him, not even trying to sound condescending at all, im just trying to get him to not take it as seriously as he is.
Laughing with every comment usually is the indicator you're not sincere. Implies something different.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.