The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Going from software developer to creating niche websites based on content

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

OVS

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Nov 10, 2020
Bucharest, Romania
I'll keep this one short.

I'm currently employed as a software engineer and I'm working in my free time on content websites trying to make money from ads and affiliate links.

Since I'm in a low income country, I employed my sister in law to write articles for me.

I do keyword research, update the website and she writes the articles.

We'll see where it goes.

Here is the website: Software Llama - SaaS & Tech Reviews

We started 3 weeks ago. Here are the current numbers:
1678002361124.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

OVS

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Nov 10, 2020
Bucharest, Romania
1678615361014.png

Update 1: We had a big wave when google indexed 2 of our articles. We were still on the 3rd search pages but this is still progress.

I'm thinking I can contact software companies to do technical blogs for them since you need extra qualifications for that. Meanwhile, we will write about email marketing software tools, SSO, inventory management software etc.

We output 3 articles per week but i'm currently not actively writing since I focus on keyword research and optimizing the website. We'll see.

Thank you for the attention

OVS

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Nov 10, 2020
Bucharest, Romania
Update: Not many more views this week

1679297958639.png

The site loading is very slow and I will migrate from Wordpress to Sanity.io with Next.js since I am confortable with the technology and the performance is better.

We currently have 8 published articles with 1 of them updated last week for readability and fresh content.

Still waiting for google to index 5 of the articles which is annoying but can't do anything about it.

My next idea is to integrate a form where people can add software they are using and giving their own reviews to them

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
The site loading is very slow and I will migrate from Wordpress to Sanity.io with Next.js since I am confortable with the technology and the performance is better.
There are a couple of reasons why this could be, and Wordpress might not be the main one. Hosting is probably where I'd look into first. Wordpress content sites can get 90+ speeds as long as the hosting delivers and they aren't filled with clutter (unnecessary plugins).

OVS

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Nov 10, 2020
Bucharest, Romania
Yeah, you're right on that one but we can't to make it more dynamic and let people (and us) add software products to be reviewed

Considering the move would take 10 days, it's a worth investment for the gains on performance and optimisations

kareemt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Mar 15, 2023
Great work!

Also, I've got a few suggestions:

1. The tagline isn't readable, you might consider making it bigger or moving it to another place.
2. You could add a Table of Contents that eases the process of navigating to a specific item in your list.
3. In your robots.txt file and in your xml sitemap file, you're using http links, which causes unnecessary https redirects, resulting in slower crawling.
1679478803863.png

OVS

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Nov 10, 2020
Bucharest, Romania
Update:
3 more articles published by my sister-in-law.
I'm working mornings and weekends to move to a Next.js website

Current numbers:
1679933413245.png

@kareemt Ty for the suggestions. I added a task to include table of contents to all new articles.
That's a good catch related to the logo. That's sth I created in 5 mins and I think I'll change it in the near future!

Next on the list for me is to make keyword research for more articles for the next two weeks.

On another note, I spoke with the owner of a local software development agency owner and I'm visiting their office this week. My plan is to prepare some keyword research for their specific niche, main competitors and how they might attract visitors from search and with that to sell SEO services. I'm thinking of ofering 1 article per week on low competition keywords that could attract potential leads

OVS

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Nov 10, 2020
Bucharest, Romania
Update:

1680717688435.png
Numbers are getting lower which is sad to see but I focused more on migrating the website from Wordpress to Next.js. It's almost ready to migrate. What's left:
- Google Analytics
- Favicon
- Migrating 5 more articles

You can check the new website here: Softwarelama - The best Software Reviews

I'm pretty proud of how it turned out and also I got 100% on Lighthouse test: 1680717812881.png

Compared to the wordpress site:
1680717863032.png

Migrating in 2 days and then focusing programatic SEO. Hopefully I can find a big database of Software Products that I can make web pages out of

We have 3 more articles. I also need to do some keyword research for my sister in law

OVS

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Nov 10, 2020
Bucharest, Romania
The site is now live!

All was migrated to Next.js. Find it here: Softwarelama - The best Software Reviews

We have 15 articles until now. I just finished the FatStacks 6 figure blog course and I'm looking to implement his strategy of targeting very low competition keywords that have almost no traffic to gain search volume and grow since there are small chances to grow with articles on topics where the main competitors are Capterra, G2, etc.

Next focus for me, aside from keyword research for my colleague is to find a way to scrape the main competitors so I can generate thousands of software product pages that can rank on google.

I saw a very nice method of scraping and using GPT-4 to extract all the relevant data from the text so I'll look into that.

Current stats for the last 28 days:
1681051665469.png

Dakoded1

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jan 29, 2023
Congrats on the progress, I will be following this thread as I am looking to transition from all-the-time development work to content production as well. Luckily the skills go together quite well.

OVS

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Nov 10, 2020
Bucharest, Romania
1681659729475.png
Progress for the last 7 days

I think we started on the left foot here since we targeted keywords that were still high in competitiveness. Going forward we will only target very low competition kw with information intent and place display ads

I'm thinking that another good thing to do is to start another website in another niche that just has articles made with GPT-4 ranking on keywords with very low competition. I was scared of doing this for the main website since I heard a lot of people say that google can downrank you for AI content. I'll make a website with just experiments in this nice

Attachments

• 1681659701564.png
    1681659701564.png
    90.7 KB · Views: 1

Mister

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 22, 2021
Germany
Good job, man!

Think of categorizing/clustering each of the reviews. You can use parent topics in WP do that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.