The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Going Fastlane in the government?

Deeyennay

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
May 30, 2011
Netherlands
Question to members of this forum: do you think it's safe to try to inject your Fastlane plan in a government run organization?

What I mean by this is, I had an idea that could work out very well, given that me and my partner in this potential business would dedicate a lot of time and effort to it. It's a big challenge but it's definitely possible.

But we want to change - or rather improve - something that is already there.
We want to introduce a new system (or machine) in a nation-wide organization run by our government. I have no idea how something like that would work out.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? With permits, contracts, etc?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Deeyennay

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
May 30, 2011
Netherlands
If this helps...heres an episode of Shark Tank where a fire fighter invented a products to help firemen fight fires faster Week 7 Full Episode - Shark Tank - ABC
You have to fast forward near the end.

They were saying that the government sector is under stress with budget cuts, they don't have any money.

I can't watch that video because I don't live in the US :)

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? With permits, contracts, etc?

In short, YES. We do that already.

Without enough details, I can't answer your question correctly. However, if it is Federal Agency, you need to become very knowledgeable in Procurement, the FAR (Federal Acquisition Regulation) and things like Smart Card purchases (credit card purchases), etc.

Also, it is good to be listed in the GSA schedule so they can find you and buy from you directly.

Other way is through competed contracts. Check fbo.gov or fedconnect. These sites list all the government contracts out there where you can bid your products/services.

Another very effective way of doing business is to find resellers that specialize in government procurement.

It is a whole other beast. Completely different.

Procurement officers, contracting officers, COTRs, etc manage a lot of rules they must follow.

If the product is less than $3,000 then a federal employee with credit card could buy your product/service, but only as many as they can get for that money. Otherwise they need a "vehicle" to buy it. Your company needs either a GSA Schedule, an 8(a) certification (small, minority owned business), SDVO certification (Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business) or something similar.

But again, it all depends on what you are selling/offering to them.

Now, if it is a 'mixed' organization, like the USPS (postal service) then things may be different.

And all I said does not completely apply to the military and DoD stuff.

Clear as mud?

We have resold products (and currently have the reselling rights for a big company that has no interest on dealing with the procurement complexities, so we deal with it and get a big commission out of the products and services we sell for them to the Feds)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.