The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

GoDaddy

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
Anybody else hate it when you you try to do something simple and then you get barricaded with TONS of security questions and requests for documentation....

It's like you have to bow down to the powers that be even though you have just made an honest purchase, next thing you know you're getting hassled for it.

After using Godaddy for many years and never been asked to supply documents, they've decided to become very annoying..... indeed.

First my order was cancelled, then they asked for my passport or ID (if I didn't want my order to be cancelled).... Ok so I reluctantly did that.... Then after I go through with the trouble of sending what they asked for, I get another email asking for a statement from my financial institution showing original purchase.... Ok I say, I got this far, I can handle this....

But as if that's not enough they now want me to send in a copy of the front and back of my credit card..... WTF!!!! is this??? Like I have nothing better to do??? All I wanted was to buy something!!! :bgh:

I'm very tempted to tell them to forget it and I'll purchase my domain names from somebody else from now on!!

What's your view on security questions, neccessary or just a waste of honest peoples time?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ableme

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 20, 2013
CT, USA
I've been with GoDaddy for over ten years and have never heard of this!! I would absolutely make 100% sure that this is not a scam before I send anyone anything!? Did you call them to ask why they need all this information?

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
It seems genuine enough and I just tried logging in to my account.

But I can't, it has been locked.

I'm going to get in contact with them to sort this out.

What a waste of time.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Run away as fast as you can to NameCheap. You don't have to stay in a "relationship" with a needy & insecure "partner" who likes to create unnecessary drama!

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
I just submitted a ticket, they've now got one shot to keep me as a customer.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
Who the hell asks for the BACK scan of a credit card?? That's like giving a free pass to your bank account.

I've used godaddy for domains before but they all expired by now.

AYoungLady

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 6, 2013
England
It sounds like it could be one of those fake sign in scams much like the ones used on eBay, amazon ect. . I'm not saying that it is however, the information that you've provided thus far, however little it may be, could be enough to make some experienced fraudsters very happy (Identity fraud ect).

Not sure about the information that was on the statement but, if you feel there was even a little information that could be used (even if it's an account number but no sort code), please call your bank to give them a heads up. Better safe than sorry.

Phones is right.. keep your bank card to yourself - at least until you're 100% sure it was GoDaddy (calling them might be faster) who requested it. Even then, I'm not sure why as you have used them for many years, they would require so much sensitive information from you, do you think you've been hacked or you've given them any reason to question the authenticity of your order? I take it they haven't done this to you before?

Seems like a lot of effort (on their part especially) + the risk loosing a loyal costumer for not much in return.

Forgive, I just nearly had a heart attack for you!!

I'll disappear now

-AYoungLady xx

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Were you purchasing domains with hosting plans or only the domain names? I've had requests for info when signing up for hosting with other companies but never additional info for domain name purchases

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
This is an email I got back from them. Seems Godaddy legit as in it's full of offers that work in their favour.

I will call them direct from home on Monday if this is not sorted out.

Due to its complex nature, your issue has been relayed to our Advanced Technical Support Team. Our most skilled technicians will be working to resolve your issue quickly and completely. You will be notified promptly upon resolution.

This is your Incident ID: 1xxxxxx6

To thank you for your patience, we'd like you to enjoy 20%* off your order of $100 or more at GoDaddy.com. Simply use source code GDBBA685 when you order or mention the code when you call (480) 505-8877.

Thanks,
GoDaddy.com

P.S. As a Go Daddy customer you're already a member of our affiliate program. Click here to start earning commission instantly.

:puke:

This was just for a domain name with .fr, .com, .net and .info extensions (the .net and .info were free with the .com).

Liz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jun 1, 2013
South Africa
Thank you for the post. Something is not right. Our Banks will never ask any details like username or password in an email.

LamboMP

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Aug 13, 2007
Toronto
your international. thats why. I have used them for over 10 years and they have been absolutely fantastic for customer service, refunds, you name it.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
You can opt out of them in your account settings. They are listed specifically in there.

I moved everything from go daddy long ago when they made it clear they do not care about their customers. Been in love with namecheap ever since.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Godaddy, go away and never return.

I loved godaddy because they were cheap. Until they randomly decided there was a problem that I needed to pay 100 bucks to fix, 3 times in the same year (this was the first year of my 'homelessness' by the way.. I was just trying to pull myself outta a bad situation).

At the $300 mark to fix problems that shouldn't have been problems... I quit. I was literally pay godaddy who was basically extorting me to keep my site up, or eat. I don't like to get bullied, I left, and signed up with bluehost, who I am very happy with.

They're cheap initially.. but the time and money you put into their backend is riddiculous. Plus, their site looks horrible. When I log in it takes me 10 minutes to find what I'm looking for without accidentally ordering something. You seriously have to take a magnifying glass to the page to make sure there are no prefilled check-boxes before you click 'next'.

paqman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Mar 22, 2013
Beach, CA
t sounds like it could be one of those fake sign in scams much like the ones used on eBay, amazon

Agreed. If you're buying domains, and regularly for a long time, no sure why they're going through these lengths.

Seems like there is more to the issue.

I've been a GoDaddy & NameCheap advocate for many years. Whichever one has the better the deal I'll jump... I've got too many domains on both systems for them to cause issues for no good reason.

HOWEVER, if they're doing this because of some security issues, fraud warnings, or generally "protecting" you and your money, all good. Asking for all that info usually only stems from recovery (lost password, account info), fraud, domain/copyright disputes, or .XX top-level country restrictions for registrar requirements. (I've never reg'd a .FR, so not sure if they want proof of citizenship or locality first).

As mentioned, be aware of e-mail and phone phishing scams. Call their support, as "jon.a" mentioned. Even if 99% of links in an e-mail are legit, be sure you are logging in and putting a password in a "*.godaddy.com" valid domain.

If you have been phished, they now have your passport, credit card, and whatever else has been provided. Hope that's not the case.

Let me know if you need further help.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
You can opt out of them in your account settings. They are listed specifically in there.

I moved everything from go daddy long ago when they made it clear they do not care about their customers. Been in love with namecheap ever since.
Good to hear. I've thought about using them but I always find a godaddy coupon and haven't bothered. I'll probably be making my next purchase through them

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Good to hear. I've thought about using them but I always find a godaddy coupon and haven't bothered. I'll probably be making my next purchase through them

Not worth save a dollar or two. You come to a point where you start paying extra to be able o do things on the fly and not deal with it. Godaddy is the business that churns new people in and out, much like 1and1.

They pay for expensive advertising and make their money back through people who do not know better and buy all their upsells. They are not geared towards the more experienced users. I can't tell you how many people I move from godaddy to another service.

I also always try to sell people away from godaddy when they want to move their stuff there. It isn't worth the hassle.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Not worth save a dollar or two. You come to a point where you start paying extra to be able o do things on the fly and not deal with it. Godaddy is the business that churns new people in and out, much like 1and1.

They pay for expensive advertising and make their money back through people who do not know better and buy all their upsells. They are not geared towards the more experienced users. I can't tell you how many people I move from godaddy to another service.

I also always try to sell people away from godaddy when they want to move their stuff there. It isn't worth the hassle.
Yeah, I agree. I have just always used them for domain names only. Unless I'm getting a free domain from a host company it's always been the easy pick with a cheap coupon via fatwallet.

I hate to spam the board with bitcoin talk but namecheap accepts bitcoin so I'll give them my business ( as godaddy doesn't provide a superior product).

goodfella

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 4, 2013
there biased towards us and canada customers, they take extra security measures against international customers. One thing they really need to do is upgrade their support service and implement a live chat like all other hosting companies have.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
I use Namecheap. Too many GoDaddy horror stories. Great marketing but that's all they have.

If you're real cheap, you can usually find coupons for Namecheap.

Additionally Namecheap doesn't usually charge extra to hide your Whois info.

paqman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Mar 22, 2013
Beach, CA
If you're real cheap, you can usually find coupons for Namecheap.

They always post their monthly codes to Twitter - FYI. Anyone with 50+ domains with them gets additional discount (automatically). Just live chat them up for details on their "gold" deal.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.