The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Go to college? Get a good job? Live in basement forever?

Ron Dee

Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Dec 22, 2014
Minnesota
As said many times before. You just need to use your head while planning for college...going for Pharmacy, Accounting , want to be a CPA, CFP or CFA sure go to a decently priced college finish strong and you will be able to pay your loans back no problem over time. Unless someone else is footing the bill I still dont understand why you would study History or English.

Everyone I knew who said college was useless said that and then continued to lay on the couch for the next 5 years...it would be one thing had they said that and been pursing a fastlane venture/business, but they were just lazy.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

carlolacson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Mar 17, 2014
Quezon City, Philippines
worst case scenario: Most of my peers right after college are lost in life don't know what to do, so instead of discovering "what do they really want?" they go back to school and wasting their time and money.

We sold our family car just to pay college debts. Man, if only I realized that college isn't worth it and most of my professors are F*cking lazy and only care about getting a paycheck..

I'm still thankful though if I didn't experience how the system sucks then I'm not here today.

Reg Addking

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 17, 2012
London
I'm from Ireland. In the 60's, if you had a degree, you were a rare bird. So you could easily gain employment. Fast-forward to today and everyone's got them. Nobody cares about your liberal arts degree. They're as common as dirt. It's supply and demand.

What employers care about is someone who can help them make money, directly or indirectly.

One has to learn a profession, that's in demand, after you graduate. The degree treadmill got maxed-out when everyone jumped on it.

But ....

The message hasn't filtered down to smallsville. Parents think a degree confers status. It is useful as a marker on your CV, for entry-level office jobs where you actually learn the 'trade' after you join. But it's not worth 4 years of your life and getting into 5 figure debt for. You're paying for working-class parent's pride in the 'first in their family to get a degree'. Middle-class parents who got a degree when they were worth something now push Jenny onto getting one too, without surveying the market first.

It's especially noxious if it's from a third-tier university. In the UK a lot of polythechnics (technical colleges) got renamed as Universities some decades ago; Tony Blair got the idea everyone should have a degree. Wrong!

Knowing what I know know, I'd work out a crafty way to get a degree by correspondence from a good university and/or just go into the middle of a big field and ask myself about what I really want to get out of life AND what people will pay me for AND which there is a strong demand for AND no b.s., and go from there.

chadahr01

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jun 6, 2015
Upstate NY
As said many times before. You just need to use your head while planning for college...going for Pharmacy, Accounting , want to be a CPA, CFP or CFA sure go to a decently priced college finish strong and you will be able to pay your loans back no problem over time. Unless someone else is footing the bill I still dont understand why you would study History or English.

Everyone I knew who said college was useless said that and then continued to lay on the couch for the next 5 years...it would be one thing had they said that and been pursing a fastlane venture/business, but they were just lazy.
Sucks that the kids are laying around, at least they're not shackled with student loans on top of that though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mozvideo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Feb 6, 2014
There's nobody to explain to those high school kids why are they taking the loan and how are they going to pay it. Because everybody's in a win-win situation, except for students. So I guess, there's nothing going to change soon and everything depends on your own, as always.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Hmm...the age of 21 the first time I started going to college...I said no to student loans...and was smart & dropped out. Later I went back and was stupid.
No one forced me is right...I was thinking I was bettering my family listened to all the b.s. and while I found it valuable in the learning process, and taking responsibility for my life...Um...not so great in job area. And why I'm here. I can't tell you how many times I should have listened to myself instead of other stupid people. And I guess that is the smartest thing out of it all. Don't listen to other people who don't know what the hell they're talking about.

And I kept hearing over and over again how right now I'm on the wrong path. I've always been on the wrong path, because other people are so smart from watching news, T.V., and news papers, and the local gossip at work, in family, and school. They always have a better plan with their coupons, shopping, and get in more debt to keep up their appearances. And please let me remind you Suzy over there has no problem getting a job with her degree. lol I would say it works for some people, but they still complain why they spend most of their life paying debt. And then they go back for a Masters and PH.D. and I thank God for my circumstances, so I spared myself the extra debt and chose this route.

Even to learn dutch I would have been paying to much money at the local College in America. I didn't see the point. It's cheaper here. And learn most of it from various sources online free, or a course here.

If you take that path, I wish you good luck...with that...you'll get hopefully a good education, which I did...but job...haven't seen it yet. lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.