The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

giving all my company’s profits away! (Preferably without starving)

Chris Gleo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Apr 21, 2018
hey everyone!

I’m thinking about starting a c Corp that donates 100% of profits to a charitable foundation. I want to collect a reasonable salary and donate the remainder. My products competitive edge is its charitable spirit, so I want to advertise “100% of profits go to charity”
Here are my questions...
1. It is legal to record a CEO salary separate from corporate profits right?
2. Is there a way to avoid double taxation with this type of structure?
3. I can’t find a charity/foundation that meets my standards and operates within my company’s niche. So, down the road, can I have a close friend or family member create a foundation that my company will finance?

Basically, i need to keep food on the table, but I have a cause I genuinely want to help with, and I have a great product that just needs a little extra marketing edge... any advise that could help me go from here would be absolutely amazing!

Sorry if I’m missing something obvious or asking dumb questions... I technically haven’t finished business school yet :p

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
As far as a structure is concerned, you pretty much fit the description of a nonprofit entity. I'd look into 501c3s. Nonprofits can give to other nonprofits. You can be the CEO of the nonprofit. Avoiding double taxation in a corporation is as easy as not showing a profit. As long as your deductible giving and your salary add up to more than the corporation took in, the corp made nothing and you're only taxed on an income level. Though you'll have to file at corp and individual levels. Needless to say though. Your corporate structure should be a nonprofit.

To answer your questions quickly:
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
hey everyone!

I’m thinking about starting a c Corp that donates 100% of profits to a charitable foundation. I want to collect a reasonable salary and donate the remainder. My products competitive edge is its charitable spirit, so I want to advertise “100% of profits go to charity”
Here are my questions...
1. It is legal to record a CEO salary separate from corporate profits right?
2. Is there a way to avoid double taxation with this type of structure?
3. I can’t find a charity/foundation that meets my standards and operates within my company’s niche. So, down the road, can I have a close friend or family member create a foundation that my company will finance?

Basically, i need to keep food on the table, but I have a cause I genuinely want to help with, and I have a great product that just needs a little extra marketing edge... any advise that could help me go from here would be absolutely amazing!

Sorry if I’m missing something obvious or asking dumb questions... I technically haven’t finished business school yet :p

I currently have a company that does something similar to this. My main concerns would be, as CEO you can pay yourself whatever you want and make the company have $0 profit and donate nothing. I've seen many companies say 100% profits go to charity but nobody believes it. Even less people will believe you if 100% profits go to your own foundation.

Does your product tie in with the charity? How can you even start this company if you don't have a charity in mind to donate your profits too? Where will your profits go if you make money next week?

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
Why do you want to be a C-Corp?

Anyway, 100% of profits going to charity doesn't sound like a good marketing angle, but maybe I'm too smart to fall for that trick.

A 1-for-1 type system (like Tom's) sounds better in my opinion.

Chris Gleo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Apr 21, 2018
I would disclose my salary and maybe other expenses... possibly apply for a b Corp certification. I work in the field I want to support (wildlife rehabilitation) and I already have tens of thousands of social media followers that interact with my posts about wildlife. I’m just tired of the companies that pledge 10% to the cause and then keep 90% to fund their lavish lifestyles... I just want to create something that puts the cause first. Your points are very well taken though. I’ll have to brainstorm a few ideas to make sure the consumers trust my motives...

Chris Gleo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Apr 21, 2018
Why do you want to be a C-Corp?

Anyway, 100% of profits going to charity doesn't sound like a good marketing angle, but maybe I'm too smart to fall for that trick.

A 1-for-1 type system (like Tom's) sounds better in my opinion.

I thought a c Corp was the only way to separate CEO salary from corporate profits? I’m thinking I may have to just pledge 90% to charity and keep 10% as my cut though... the “1 for 1” model doesn’t really fit with my product or cause, but I may be able to do something along those lines. I’m actually not trying to “trick” anyone haha. There’s a similar company that pledges 10% and acts like they actually care about the cause but it’s all a marketing stunt to sell more products... I want to create a company that actually cares about the cause first.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I recommend you look up Derek Sivers's story. He figured he could give away more if he first had a company that made a lot of profits, and then he sold that company for a lot of money. He then gave away all of that except for just enough to live on, including some travel. I think he'd be a great mentor for you if asked him nicely. Derek Sivers

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.