The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Get your piece of Paradise (Valley or Scottsdale)!

RealOG

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 20, 2007
Austin, Texas, United States
Rents are down in AZ as a whole.

Scottsdale rents are around $800-$1000 for a 2 bed / 2 bath condo depending on location and amenities.

Homes rent for $1100-$1500 for a 3/2 depending on location and amenities.

Time on market varies as well, but if you are aggressive, you could probably get it rented in a month.

... BTW - this is for Class A and Class B style rentals. Class C will be significantly lower rent and potentially longer leasing time.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I was actually thinking of going out on a limb and making the call that real estate seems to have bottomed here.

There are many sub $70,000 homes on the west side, but the ones in decent subdivisions seem to be bought quickly at those prices. Also, in one of my subdivisions the number of sold homes is increasing monthly and many that were sitting 6 months are now gone. I think that in some areas we are at the point where if prices drop any more, people swoop in and come buy. There are some nice 4200sf homes asking $220k in GOOD neighborhoods with mountain views, new schools, etc. They are not lasting long anymore.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
good to know... I will follow up this thread... thanks for sharing.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Looks like RE may have bottomed in N Cal, for this year at least (until Dec/Jan).

We had a glut of foreclosed homes in Fairfield that sold for $350K+ in 2006/07 selling for as low as $55K (they needed about $15-20K in mostly cosmetic repairs, and the banks were just dumping them). Those homes are back up to $100K for the lowest priced ones.

-Russ H.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Hey Russ -- I was just looking at Stockton, CA. Real Estate, and I was finding all kinds of houses for $19k, $30k, etc... haha I'll say that is a bottom! Those are like Detroit prices! I never thought I'd see the day when prices there would be lower than prices in Colorado Springs.

Biophase -- Same thing was noticed here. We used to always have a bunch of houses in the $80k price range flooding inventory into this market, and now the $80k homes seem to have dried up, unless they are absolutely in the hood.

I think I need to go ahead and buy my retirement home in AZ now while the getting is good, if it would be able to be rented until I'm ready to retire... Can I get a good home in a decent area for $100k?

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Agreed, Hak.

Folks who have always dreamed of "retiring to CA" could actually do this, if they weren't scared out of their ever-lovin' minds right now.

-Russ H.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
"Decent" is so subjective. Based on what I know about you, you need to live in Oldtown. That means buying a condo, which puts you somewhere in the mid 100's.

$100k homes will be farther out in Phoenix, Chandler, maybe Tempe but too far away from the city centers.

Ya but I don't know if a 50 or 60 year old version of myself would want to be in the city -- I might want to be outside of town where all the damn kids won't bother me. hehe..... I probably won't even have a stripper pole in my den by the time I'm that old!

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I just found a nice house I like for $100k, near a golf course:
Real Estate

I see that your property taxes are pretty high compared to what I'm used to though. This $100k house is showing up as having $2400 a yr in taxes.... Here in COS, I'm used to paying about $450-550/yr for an equivalent home. That just raised my costing projections a bit.

I'm also wondering about utilities when I'm between renters in Phoenix... I assume you need to run the AC in the summer time or risk having the inside of one of these houses turn into a furnace where all the glue melts on the cabinets and countertops and flooring, etc? Or can you just shut down the AC in the summertime on a vacant property? I'm hearing nightmarish estimates of $500 a month, etc -- When I'm used to double digits here in the summer, and maybe $100/mo in the winter for all utilities.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I just found a nice house I like for $100k, near a golf course:
Real Estate

I see that your property taxes are pretty high compared to what I'm used to though. This $100k house is showing up as having $2400 a yr in taxes.... Here in COS, I'm used to paying about $450-550/yr for an equivalent home. That just raised my costing projections a bit.

I'm also wondering about utilities when I'm between renters in Phoenix... I assume you need to run the AC in the summer time or risk having the inside of one of these houses turn into a furnace where all the glue melts on the cabinets and countertops and flooring, etc? Or can you just shut down the AC in the summertime on a vacant property? I'm hearing nightmarish estimates of $500 a month, etc -- When I'm used to double digits here in the summer, and maybe $100/mo in the winter for all utilities.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

I think if you are looking over there on the west side. Stick to Avondale, north of the I-10 highway. Look for $75,000 and under with no pool. The taxes are probably still high due to last year's prices. They should be around $700-$1200 for a $75,000 home.

In the summertime you'll need to keep electric and water for your minimal landscaping plants. You don't need to keep the AC on, your home will get up to about 95-98 degrees. This really isn't enough to warp anything IMO, there's no humidity inside the homes. My houses when empty were left like this.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
This one looks like it would make a nice little rental for $85k and onl $1k a yr in taxes: Real Estate

This is in Surprise, it's about an hour drive (non rush hour) from Scottsdale.

Before I left I looked at a couple places.

Walking distance to Old Town, I saw a 2br/2bath condo, 1200 sq, nice gated complex with great amenities, for $104k. Taxes were about $900 as I recall, and fees $200/month.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Condo advice:

If you live in a cold climate, live in the upper unit, w/a unit below.

I never had to heat my place-- downstairs neighbor (older gal) had her heat up so high I had "warm floors"!

I wonder if living in a lower unit would work for hotter climates? (cool air settling, plus upper unit is an insulating layer). You'd still hear footfalls-- but worth a thought . . .

(BTW, I'll never choose to live in a condo again, unless it's for a vacation rental-- too many restrictions and nosy neighbors).

-Russ H.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
The Phoenix market and Denver markets seem to be on a similar trend. We started our downswing about 18 months before the nation and appear to be coming out about now. Prices skipped on the bottom for about 6-9 months but I am seeing signs of the upward trend.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
The Phoenix market and Denver markets seem to be on a similar trend. We started our downswing about 18 months before the nation and appear to be coming out about now. Prices skipped on the bottom for about 6-9 months but I am seeing signs of the upward trend.

That's what a lot of guys are saying about COS... "First in, first out..." -- Denver was in even before COS right, so you guys are way overdue for a rally in housing?

With interest rates at 4.7% today, a part of me can't believe prices haven't begun to shoot up... Nobody has jobs though, so demand is still low... When the jobs return, so will the real estate bull market!

- Hakrjak

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
In my little corner of CT I'll go out on a limb and say if we are not at the bottom were damn close.

On the new construction side this might turn out to be a busy year, its to early to say though. Ask me in August.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I'll stop trying to predict bottoms, I suck at it. I keep getting surprised.

To the Scottsdale folks, how's the unemployment in the area these days? (not the official numbers, the feeling on the streets)

RealOG

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 20, 2007
Austin, Texas, United States
Unemployment sucks, lots of folks looking for jobs. But if you have good and in demand skills, there are still jobs out there.

Intel is hiring for certain positions and so are other large companies. Biggest demand stuff that I have seen is medical-related, specialty marketing, specific engineering.

venom

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 6, 2007
Not sure about a bottom, but you can find some really good deals in sunny florida .
They just had an auction with 1000's of homes. My coworker looked at a couple of homes but didnt like the area they were in.
I would be really careful about buying into condo's. They arent always rental friendly .

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.